• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

Eusis

Is this a sarcastic post, or are you being serious?
Some of us were probably kind of expecting a 90+ metacritic.

But the blurbs I'm seeing are exactly what I want to hear so I guess the fault is just that it's not THAT different (and may be on the short side?)

JP

Good scores.

I try not to follow fames that I'm interested in too much to avoid finding out things that I don't really want to know, this has been one of those games. Has there bee many confirmation whether the game will allow you to take your augmentations it repeated plays or not?

StereoVsn

Hot damn. Hopefully it will run better with a couple settings disabled. I like to run 4K with no AA, so that should help a bit. Just need 8 more FPS to hit 4K30 on my SLI 970s.
That's not going to happen most likely. You don't have enough VRAM even for medium settings I would think.

nOoblet16

What makes for "cyberpunky hub"? Hubs in HR weren't that "cyberpunky" imo, just advanced near future cities.

Edit: I wonder if https://www.twitch.tv/gamestarde got special permission to stream game or they just don't give a fuck about footage embargo

DE is the by the books definition of cyberpunk i.e. advanced tech, neon lights, hazy atmosphere, low quality of life unless it's the really rich people who live and work in grand buildings that evoke an art style that is mix of technology and classic.

It's very very similar to Bladerunner which we all know is cyberpunk.

Good scores.

I try not to follow fames that I'm interested in too much to avoid finding out things that I don't really want to know, this has been one of those games. Has there bee many confirmation whether the game will allow you to take your augmentations it repeated plays or not?
People have said there is NG+, so yes

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
That's not going to happen most likely. You don't have enough VRAM even for medium settings I would think.

I mean, in the benchmark I quoted they were running 4K ultra. And some of the benchmarks show high running twice the framerate of Ultra. So dropping it down to high, and dropping AA all together, will more than likely net me 8 average FPS..

StereoVsn

I mean, in the benchmark I quoted they were running 4K ultra. And some of the benchmarks show high running twice the framerate of Ultra. So dropping it down to high, and dropping AA all together, will more than likely net me 8 average FPS..
The 1080p ultra setting benchmark has 980TI at 50ish FPS. That card was top of the line 3 months ago.

If you read further, the game is also very CPU heavy. Their benchmarks were done with 8 core I believe. Need more benchmarks at more moderate settings but there seem to be some issues, IMO.

StereoVsn

What settings? MSAA 8x?

No.
I think it was 4x.

3.5gb vram is enough for high settings

edit - oh you probably mean at 4k. ignore me.
Yeah, at 4K I don't think that's enough judging by those benches.

I thought early performance numbers had even the GTX 770 getting close to 60fps...Nixxes is usually good with PC ports...I'm going to play the game regardless but I might just wait for the DX12 patch to hit first...
No, no, with Nvidia you really don't want DirectX 12 here. Performance is terrible. AMD does better though.

TitusTroy

I thought early performance numbers (from NeoGAF) had even the GTX 770 getting close to 60fps...Nixxes is usually good with PC ports...I'm going to play the game regardless but I might just wait for the DX12 patch to hit first...

Tovarisc

If you read further, the game is also very CPU heavy. Their benchmarks were done with 8 core I believe. Need more benchmarks at more moderate settings but there seem to be some issues, IMO.

Yep, can't wait to get that choked performance with my i5 6600K.

More reviewers this gen are starting to understand that a 10 point review system goes from 1-10 & not 7-10 so anything over 80+ should make for a great game hopefully. Can't wait.

wbEMX

dem_1920_11_2.png

1080p30 on my GTX 970. Well, time to look for a new GPU next year!

Anbec7

ok I'm on media blackout for this but... can you change costumes this time for Adam? most of the time you don't see that but only on special takedowns etc.

Azzanadra

Hm, I am very disappointed with the performance in a post-MGSV world. What I can hope for at this point is if like The Witcher 3, there are a few settings that really drop the FPS while not effecting the actual look much. What is the "nvdidia hairworks" of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

ok I'm on media blackout for this but... can you change costumes this time for Adam? most of the time you don't see that but only on special takedowns etc.

Yes. The pre-order DLC (covert agent pack) includes 3 outfits for Jensen apparently. Not sure if you can buy more in-game.

damstr

Neo Member
Looking at that benchmark, regular 980's in SLI perform the same as 1080's in SLI. Something is definitely not working as intended that's for sure.

Tovarisc

Hm, I am very disappointed with the performance in a post-MGSV world. What I can hope for at this point is if like The Witcher 3, there are a few settings that really drop the FPS while not effecting the actual look much. What is the "nvdidia hairworks" of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

Improved TressFX. I think they call it PureHair or something like that.

Profanity

The contact hardening shadows and MSAA will be the massive hitters.

I guess this is 2016's Metal Gear 5. Bad story, excellent gameplay. With that said, I'm gonna love this game.

mgs5 barely had a story, comparing that with dxmd would be a huge disservice to the latter. also, none of the reviewers say it has a bad story, a few are merely of the opinion that the story isn't as good for a deus ex game.

my take on it.

WadeitOut

Seriously? You don't see an issue with having under 60 FPS with top of the line card at 1080p even with those settings?

Have some of you just recently gotten into PC gaming? Any recent AAA game slays my 1080 if I run MSAA that high on Ultra.

Turning it down and setting shadows lower is pretty much the first thing I do in every game after I set ultra.

Evo X

Seriously? You don't see an issue with having under 60 FPS with top of the line card at 1080p even with those settings?

Technically, the new Titan X is top of the line, not the GTX 1080.

I don't know if they released any benchmarks with it, but it should easily do over 60fps at 1080p.

Nzyme32

What the hell with the PC performance ?? can you expect to play it at 60FPS with a GTX980 in medium/high settings ?

This is the usually yelling at Ultra settings perf being lower, yet not having any info on what each setting at Ultra preset is doing and costing in performance.

For example moving from high to Ultra changes:

- volumetric lighting from "On" to "Ultra" - what the hell is that doing, what is the performance cost etc (I suspect this could be more costly than most, as it has been in some other games)
- Screenspace reflections from "On" to "Ultra", no idea of the performance cost
- Contact hardening shadows "Off" to "Ultra", no idea of the performance cost
etc etc

And this doesn't even take into the account what the difference might be if this is using the DX12 renderer for each. Once we actually have all the info, then maybe some complaining can be done if it is nonsensical, if not, then this whining is for nothing.

People complaining about PC performance with Ultra 4x and 8x MSAA...

It really makes you wonder.

Then again, I'm recalling that shitty "UH OH Deus Ex on PC sure ain't lookin' good!" thread and that probably helped to color people's expectations

I thought a 970 was the recommended? Garbage PC port confirmed?

HOLY SHIT

Do you even play PC games? Real question.

Edit: I guess you do, so like you should know about ultra benchmarks n shit

Window

Is there not an article with deeper performance analysis attached to the benchmark pics which keep being posted? Or even benchmarks at other settings?

JayB1920

This is the usually yelling at Ultra settings perf being lower, yet not having any info on what each setting at Ultra preset is doing and costing in performance.

- volumetric lighting from "On" to "Ultra" - what the hell is that doing, what is the performance cost etc (I suspect this could be more costly than most, as it has been in some other games)
etc etc

And this doesn't even take into the account what the difference might be if this is using the DX12 renderer for each. Once we actually have all the info, then maybe some complaining can be done if it is nonsensical, if not, then this whining is for nothing.

Contact hardening Shadows and Anti Aliasing are likely big performance hits. Volumetrc lighting can be as well. I will be interesting to se how it runs turning down Anti Aliasing and seeing Digital Foundry and Geforce Guide comparisons and what each setting actually does.

nOoblet16

etc etc

Switching from On to Ultra just means they start using full resolution buffers instead of half/quarter resolution. Contact hardening shadows by itself is a computationally expensive feature. It calculates the distance of object from the lightsources and considers the shape of object to provide realistic soft shadows.

And Soft shadows by themselves is something you don't see in games...even today.

Top Bottom