• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

Effect

From the steam page:

So turn those off and just leave the mission and extras content I guess.

Edit: I'm sure the credits + prasis are the "Augmented Covert Agent Pack" I don't know if the gear has stats or not (?) but it's probably safer just to turn if off I guess.

Yeah I only left the extra mission and the extra content (soundtrack, etc) checked. I don't want the extra money or praxis making things easier for me at the start.

nOoblet16

So what does one use to guess that the game is about to end?? Changes in environment and situation of the world, the music changes to something that isnt quaint anymore and reflect the state of the world, things are ramped up etc etc.

It all seems to be here and as such I can tell that it's close to the end. As such I don't understand how one can feel that it seemed like game was only 50-60% through and ends abruptly.

Now granted I haven't finished it yet and while the ending itself might seem like it lacks payoff and make my opinion of it negative, I'd disregard the criticism that you can't tell that the game is nearing completion and catches you off guard.

Azzanadra

This thread really deflated by hype for the sequel to one of my favorite games last gen, in one of my favorite franchises of all time.

GG Neogaf. Guess I' will just prepare myself for the worst, anyone with the story details mind PM'ing me the spoilers?

carlsojo

This thread really deflated by hype for the sequel to one of my favorite games last gen, in one of my favorite franchises of all time.

GG Neogaf. Gauss I' will just prepare myself for the worst, anyone with the story details mind PM'ing me the spoilers?

ignore the freaks and judge for yourself. Overhype and hype train crashes are never good for any game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

GG Neogaf. Gauss I' will just prepare myself for the worst, anyone with the story details mind PM'ing me the spoilers?

I'm still hyped as I have been, think some in here are overreacting

Blitzhex

Best way to approach sequels like these, that you know are going to be worth playing, is to not read stuff about them. Just watch a couple of trailers if you have to. I go in blind, expecting more of the same and I'm never disappointed.

Dec

I'm way more excited even than I thought for this game after reading that a lot of the side quests are detective missions/serial killer investigations and that some span the entire length of the game.

Moreche

I only layer the start of the the first game on 360, should I watch the YouTube video to catch up with the story before starting MD?

Though I think it's safe not to be hyped as if this will have a complete feeling story. It doesn't make any sense to not consider tempering expectations for that aspect a bit in the face of the countless 'abrupt ending' comments made in regards to it. Of course, if you don't really care about the story in this game, it doesn't matter.

Simo

Back from Chicago!

Played the shit out of Deus Ex GO which thankfully was a great way to pass the train ride there and back. I'm happy to see the game got some solid reviews and scores and that if I dug HR then I'd love Mankind Divided.

My PS4 preload is up too. It's also downloading all the Day One and Season Pass content too.

I only layer the start of the the first game on 360, should I watch the YouTube video to catch up with the story before starting MD?

You could but the Mankind Divided has a recap video too, the same one on YouTube.

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy hell there's one area in the hub where performance drops to what must be the single digits.

Anyone else playing on PS4 notice this? It happens around the metro station with the giant glass pyramid-kind thing on top of it.

Holy hell there's one area in the hub where performance drops to what must be the single digits.

Anyone else playing on PS4 notice this? It happens around the metro station with the giant glass pyramid-kind thing on top of it.

Yep, the framerate in the hub takes a dive sometimes. Luckily it's always short lived.

GG Neogaf. Guess I' will just prepare myself for the worst, anyone with the story details mind PM'ing me the spoilers?
I wouldn't worry too much. There's one junior who has managed to gather a couple negative impressions across the Internet and has now posted the same "The world is ending, the game is horrible!" post about 59 times. The volume of one or two posters' negativity gives the impression that it's some sort of consensus, but it's not. The consensus from reviews is that it's a really good game, performs well on PC, and some have said the story isn't fantastic. Don't get too deflated, maybe just mute Captain Freakout and you'll get a more balanced view.

So what does one use to guess that the game is about to end?? Changes in environment and situation of the world, the music changes to something that isnt quaint anymore and reflect the state of the world, things are ramped up etc etc.

It all seems to be here and as such I can tell that it's close to the end. As such I don't understand how one can feel that it seemed like game was only 50-60% through and ends abruptly.

Now granted I haven't finished it yet and while the ending itself might seem like it lacks payoff and make my opinion of it negative, I'd disregard the criticism that you can't tell that the game is nearing completion and catches you off guard.

2 people who beat the game on Reddit agreed the game
peaks after Golem City.

Source

Take that as you will, I have no clue myself. We'll all get to see come Tuesday. General consensus from everyone is the game is really good
till it ends. Like you don't see the end coming, you just see a trophy pop up and say "what, thought there was more.."?
Who knows.

Drewfonse

I turned my PS4 on, and it looks like the DLC stuff is able to preload. But it also has a 6GB main file that popped up. Is that the game itself? 6GB? I'm confused, I expected 20 or more.

2 people who beat the game on Reddit agreed the game peaks after Golem City.

Source

Take that as you will, I have no clue myself. We'll all get to see come Tuesday. General consensus from everyone is the game is really good till it ends. Like you don't see the end coming, you just see a trophy pop up and say "what, thought there was more.."? Who knows.

Can you at least spoiler tag ending speculation stuff even if someone asked for it? It's annoying enough that all you do since that big negative post you made is concern troll the entire thread with comparisons to Mass Effect 3 and shit.

lmimmfn

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| Hype Multiplied

Just checked my original CD keys mail and clicked the link, key is there now, didn't get any email. Preparing now.

Do we know when this unlocks on Steam?

Steam Store page says August 23rd @ 5:00 PM GMT, but that could be default/placeholder info.

t1471971600z0.png

Mifec

Ahhh, interesting. I wouldn't want to spoil it then, I guess. So the augs available from the start are the ones from Human Revolution?

You have all the ones from HR until the bombing knocks them offline. Then it's back from the start+new ones.

Vic_Viper

I'm pretty disappointed as well. They really should have warned us awhile ago that this game was going to be just the beginning. If anyone wants to know what I'm referring too, reviews have been making it sound like the ending:
makes it seem like this game is only half the story. People assume this is part 1 of 2 games or the beginning of a trilogy.
. I'm kinda disappointed that they just did t advertise the game as that. Atleast the sequel won't be far behind since they've got a new engine to work with now.

Other than the story, the reviews all agree that the gameplay is amazing and really improves in everything in HR.

Is there a spoiler thread up yet?

Effect

Jeff Gerstmann played it for 30 hours and he isn't one to take his time on a review copy.

WluMyp1.png

It's indeed looking like past Deus Ex games like said. Depending on your play style and how far off the beaten path you go and stay there your time to complete the game will differ. That's fine. I don't get why some are flipping out about that. One person can spend just a minute in one room. Another can spend 20 minutes looking at everything just because. Even if Gerstmann's time isn't exactly that due to leaving the game running (I do that all the time), and he did say he didn't do everything, it's still more in line with the past games. The Deus Ex games aren't Fallout or Elder Scroll games where you're getting 60+ hours out of them.

Mifec

I'm pretty disappointed as well. They really should have warned us awhile ago that this game was going to be just the beginning. If anyone wants to know what I'm referring too, reviews have been making it sound like the ending:
makes it seem like this game is only half the story. People assume this is part 1 of 2 games or the beginning of a trilogy.
. I'm kinda disappointed that they just did t advertise the game as that. Atleast the sequel won't be far behind since they've got a new engine to work with now.

Other than the story, the reviews all agree that the gameplay is amazing and really improves in everything in HR.

Is there a spoiler thread up yet?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262592&page=3 here you go.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Came across the most amazing apartment complex, incredible design. It's just a random building in the city, but I spoiler-tagged it anyway.

Also, nice game lady:

It looks amazing damn.
You gotta switch to .png screenshots on your PS4 though.

Vic_Viper

Jeff Gerstmann played it for 30 hours and he isn't one to take his time and be a completionist on a review copy.

WluMyp1.png

He said on the Friday steam that it really was more like 22 hrs played. He left the game running for awhile a few times.

So pissed about the no praxis points from DEus Ex GO on PS4. Looks like I'll be playing a lot of breach mode at first.

eot

Banned
Dishonored's level design is ripped directly from Deus Ex. The levels Smith had a heavy hand in working on in DX (area 51, versalife, etc) are designed the same way that every dishonored level is, to the point I find it utterly shocking anyone can play both games and not notice it.

They're both games with levels that give the player several choices in how to approach them. To say that the level design is ripped from Deus Ex is a bit of a stretch, Dishonored's levels are built around a very different set of player verbs, Blink of course being the most important one. So sure, there are things in the game that remind me of Deus Ex, but that's mostly because so few games of this type get made at all.

Deus Ex is an RPG, it has rather in depth character progression system, an inventory system, highly interactive environments, hundreds upon hundreds of interactive NPCs, over half a dozen levels/areas that basically have no combat etc. The starting point of Dishonored is a first person action game that tries to reach for some of those things that Deus Ex does, but at its core it is something very different and that comes through when playing it. There are hardly ever any moments in the game when you aren't in a combat/stealth scenario, the NPC interactions are shallow and barely worth mentioning, the number of ways you have to interact with the world and the number of interactive objects is much lower. This is not meant as a criticism btw, I like Dishonored, but it's a game with a much narrower focus and seen as a successor to Deus Ex I think it falls very far off the mark.

Nemesis_

The story being split up really isn't a surprise to me. Jim Sterling called it in one of his episodes a while ago and he's been pretty on the money about Square Enix lately. He succesfully predicted HITMAN and I think he was on the mark with Deus Ex too.

Part of me doesn't care because besides the story it sounds like Mankind Divided is rather substantial and that we'll get another game sooner rather than later. Another part of me is upset that we don't get much closure yet.

I really hope that with whatever they're planning that they'll begin to lead more into the original game. I'd love to meet a young Anna Navarre or something in the new games.

Effect

People bring up the Witcher 3.There is a positive in a game lasting a long time. The last two games like that for me were Fallout 4 (73 hours) and Witcher 3 (62 hours) and I didn't finish either one. Their lengths worked against them for me and that's a new thing for me. So if Mankind is more in line with past Deus Ex games with a New Game Plus aspect that's a plus for me.

What I wonder though is how does the New Game Plus work? Is it like a one time thing or will it build like the Dark Souls games and get increasingly harder and harder.

Dec

He said on the Friday steam that it really was more like 22 hrs played. He left the game running for awhile a few times.

So pissed about the no praxis points from DEus Ex GO on PS4. Looks like I'll be playing a lot of breach mode at first.

During that stream he had 26 hours played and said real play time was more like 22. Seems he has been playing Breach mode a lot if his play time has increased that much over the weekend.

nOoblet16

2 people who beat the game on Reddit agreed the game
peaks after Golem City.

Source

Take that as you will, I have no clue myself. We'll all get to see come Tuesday. General consensus from everyone is the game is really good
till it ends. Like you don't see the end coming, you just see a trophy pop up and say "what, thought there was more.."?
Who knows.
well I am about 8-10 hours after Golem city...and I can see it being close to coming to an end
so I wouldn't be surprised if I got the end game now judging by what is happening.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hoping the forthcoming NVidia patch helps PC performance. The game runs fine, but I had to lower everything to high/med to get around 50fps. I have a 4790k and a GTX980.

Tovarisc

i value story, variety and length too much to not be affected.

Good thing then that MD sounds be in line with story, variety and length with original DX and HR. I would read OT impressions if you are on the fence about MD because of one GAFfer and few redditor posts.

SlickVic

Hmm, Best Buy is doing a late opening at 9PM for Madden tomorrow. Wonder if I can swing by there and pick up Deus Ex at that time.

Fledz

Jeeeez some of the building design is unreal. This is a personal peeve of mine, I love nice architecture and interior design in videogames.

The Palisades bank building looks AMAZING, the lobby is unlike anything I've ever seen in a game. People like me who care about that stuff are going to have a great time with this game.

Yep I'm the same. Those pics of the apartment that you posted look amazing. Can't wait!

Does anyone know if this one connects to the original Deus Ex more than Human Revolution did? Not looking for specifics or spoilers, but just wondering if there is any more of a connection or anything. Story, characters, music, anything really.

Jeeeez some of the building design is unreal. This is a personal peeve of mine, I love nice architecture and interior design in videogames.

That was one of my favorite things about HR. A lot of the architecture had an incredibly strong artistic touch.

Top Bottom