• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

This game is my GotY.

I've played 32 hours so far (Xbox One) and haven't finished all sidequests and/ or the story missions. It's amazing. Much better than Human Revolution. The hub world is fantastic. This is the best hub-world-rpg since Vampire Bloodlines, imo. The atmosphere, the immersion, the amazing sidequests, the possibilities....fucking great.

Please, don't rush this game. Take your time and explore everything. You're gonna miss a lot of content and missions if you want to do the story missions first.

Game of the year.

Edit: I really like the main story so far. I can't say anything about the ending of course.
How lively/reactive does the world feel? Is a good game for people-watching? Basically do the citizens do their own thing, does the world react to you and/or change over the course of the game?

nOoblet16

Btw this game has one of the most badass loading screens I have ever seen in a game.

How lively/reactive does the world feel? Is a good game for people-watching? Basically do the citizens do their own thing, does the world react to you and/or change over the course of the game?

They do react but the citizens are like AC citizens, not Skyrim or even GTA. It does change over the course of the game.

pringles

Probably PC exclusive feature...I never saw any.
Dontnunderstand why they'd eliminate it though, it's just a cube map and not a big effect really since even games from PS2 era had it eventhough they were not accurate. Though some games last gen had accurate view of what was in the scope.
Not sure if it's the same quality as the PC version, but playing on X1 now and the tranq rifle does have the reflection in the scope. Not really an impressive effect though as you say, older games have done it better.

Nags

Banned
Resolution....I have no idea, sorry. It looks very good aside from some character models and outdated animations. The frame rate is...well....a mixed bag. It runs fine but there is some stuttering while roaming the hub world (probably loading issues). It's very noticeable but it doesn't affect the gameplay at all because it doesn't happen when you're on a mission.

Edit: Load times are long...unfortunately

That's a shame. I did notice the last gen animations on some streams too.
Looks like everyone is going to have to deal with that regardless of platform though.

Yes and no. There are some NPC's walking around but most of them will stay at the exact same spot.
The world doesn't really react to you (aside from main and side mission characters) but it will change over the course of the game. But this would be a spoiler.

I don't think that's an issue though because all of this happens during a very short timeframe. You can walk around and explore as long as you want but the main mission has a short time span, so it's not surprising that NPC's are not reacting.

I'm currently in
Golem City for the first time.

Can I go back to Prague after and do the side missions I didn't finish or will some of them expire?

Yes and no. There are some NPC's walking around but most of them will stay at the exact same spot.
The world doesn't really react to you (aside from main and side mission characters) but it will change over the course of the game. But this would be a spoiler.

I don't think that's an issue though because all of this happens during a very short timeframe. You can walk around and explore as long as you want but the main mission has a short time span, so it's not surprising that NPC's are not reacting.
So it's more the details and such that make it such a good hub? Always something new to discover?

nOoblet16

This is a screenshot of the loading I was talking about. I won't tell why it's badass..you'll find it for yourself when you see it.
NOzYWckh.jpg

Not sure if it's the same quality as the PC version, but playing on X1 now and the tranq rifle does have the reflection in the scope. Not really an impressive effect though as you say, older games have done it better.
Yea I noticed it just now...it's there on PS4.
It's a cheap effect.

So it's more the details and such that make it such a good hub? Always something new to discover?

Exactly. I've played 30 hours and haven't discovered every building. And you can't discover everything at the beginning because you lack important skills. I wouldn't focus on NPC's. It's more exploration and experience. It's not like Witcher 3 (for example) where every NPC reacts to your decisions. It's a linear story but you can spend hours exploring the world and doing side quests.

I'm currently in
Golem City for the first time.

Can I go back to Prague after and do the side missions I didn't finish or will some of them expire?

Yes but
something will change so you might faile some of the quests

Hacked my way into an apartment near Adam's home, interacted with a telescope in the flat's window and I can't seem to exit from it. I'm stuck looking at two guys swigging beer ha.

Nags

Banned
Exactly. I've played 30 hours and haven't discovered every building. And you can't discover everything at the beginning because you lack important skills. I wouldn't focus on NPC's. It's more exploration and experience.

Yes but
something will change so you might faile some of the quests

Can you kill people in the hub?
Tap them on the shoulder then sucker punch them in the face? Anytrhing?

Can you kill people in the hub?
Tap them on the shoulder then sucker punch them in the face? Anytrhing?

Sure. I don't kill anyone in my first playthrough but I slap someone in the face when I'm angry, lol. You could kill them of course^^

As far as I know you can even kill the npc's who give you quests. But why would you do this? ^^
Fission mailed.

Simo

Digital deluxe edition.

Excellent! That answers that then. Thank you!

whats this deal with the square enix account? are they giving out something for the game?

Square Enix made it a pain in the ass for you to get some of your Day One bonuses like the OST sampler and art book for some reason. For physical copies there's a code in the case you need to register on Square Enix's website, if you're a member or register, which then in turn you need to wait to receive an email from Squeenix for a link or code for said content. Like, they couldn't just give you the code to redeem to get that stuff right away rather than going the extra steps of having to register and then wait for a email.

Thankfully it seems a little more simplified for the digital versions where you fire up the game, link your account via the option on the main menu and then you receive the email with your bonus content.

Nice, and you can fail side missions like this too?

You can.

But this isn't Skyrim or Witcher 3. There aren't 50 side quests. It's quality over quantity. Some of the side missions are really long. You can kill the target but you don't have to. You can kill the guy that starts the quest...well you can kill everyone if you want but...^^

Edit: Also, you have to explore the hub to find every quest. You can miss them easily

Nags

Banned
You can.

But this isn't Skyrim or Witcher 3. There aren't 50 side quests. It's quality over quantity. Some of the side missions are really long. You can kill the target but you don't have to. You can kill the guy that starts the quest...well you can kill everyone if you want to but...^^

From what I understand, the Witcher 3 is renowned for the quality of the side quests.
Seems like a bold statement. How is this game proving to be better than that?

komplanen

The wait for us PC gamers is a little bothersome. I've waited for this game for a really long time (and felt bummed by the delay of six months) but I think I'll manage an extra 19 hours to what it was for console players here in Finland.

Still I'm happy for all of you who got it early!

Simo

any chance the unlock time on PS4 is a mistake and it will actually unlock at midnight EST despite the countdown?

No, they confirmed it's 3am EST and midnight PST. For some odd reason Xbox owners get it unlocked at midnight EST/9pm PST.

From the OP which came from the devs and publisher:
Cqd3JgaWYAAR-vJ.jpg

Nags

Banned
I guess I'll get it tomorrow (today), Xbox or PS4 though?

The load times are really long on XB1 and it has unstable framerate apparently. Which sucks for me since I was really looking forward to playing a new game on my Xbox One Sexy.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Nice.

Resolution....I have no idea, sorry. It looks very good aside from some character models and outdated animations. The frame rate is...well....a mixed bag. It runs fine but there is some stuttering while roaming the hub world (probably loading issues). It's very noticeable but it doesn't affect the gameplay at all because it doesn't happen when you're on a mission.

Edit: Load times are long...unfortunately

Is the HUD/text/loading screen at 1080p or 900p? Watching the DF video, the text during the loading screen appears slightly blurrier.

God nOoblet16 is getting me even more hyped! Picking it up at midnight tonight. Start class tomorrow but may pull an all nighter anyway

I can't even play Rocket League right now. I just keep thinking about how great this is going to be

Mesharey

The load times are really long on XB1 and it has unstable framerate apparently. Which sucks for me since I was really looking forward to playing a new game on my Xbox One Sexy.
I see. :/

I bought 1TB HDD for Xbox and having a lot of fun with it lately.. guess I'll get it on PS4 and delete something.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I see. :/

I bought 1TB HDD for Xbox and having a lot of fun with it lately.. guess I'll get it on PS4 and delete something.

Yea PS4 has 1080p as well (though DF said the temporal AA makes it look better than other 900p titles on Xbox), depends on whether controller and achievements are more important for you.

From what I understand, the Witcher 3 is renowned for the quality of the side quests.
Seems like a bold statement. How is this game proving to be better than that?

I would not compare these games. Witcher 3 is an open world game, Deus Ex only has a hub world that's small compared to the world of Witcher 3. Really small. But it's dense and full of secrets, hidden paths and mysteries. It doesnt have a lot of side quests. But these side quests are interesting, long and connected to the overall story of the game. It's an amazing atmosphere.

I just mentioned Witcher 3 because it's probably one of the best games of this gen with a lot of content and side quests. Deus Ex is a 35-45 hour game if you want to explore everything. But that's finde because everything in this world is connected. Even the side quests make sense when you experience the main story. Every hacked PC has a connection to the story.
It's immersive.
It seems like a small game at first but you just have to ignore the main story. And what seems like a small word ( well hub) quickly becomes a really interesting and a big location when you realise that you can enter many buildings, hacking everyones PC, etc. you can spend hours and hours in this "small" city....or you can just do main missions and finish the game in 12-15 hours. But you would miss 80% of the game

Simo

The "Dynamic" Theme on PS4 that comes with the digital pre-order is sooooo bad.

Lies.

I fire up my PS4 sometimes just to listen to McCann's forboding music....at least the background is a little animated unlike other dynamic themes and it's free.

Top Bottom