• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Tracked Your Choices for a Sequel

Fisty

It might be awhile, but Deus Ex will be back. It wasn't exactly 3 years between Invisible War and Human Revolution

Xater

Never assume you actually get to make a sequel, otherwise you end up with crap storylines like in this one.

ArjanN

uhhh sure thing. Then you can compare it to Deus Ex HR DC, in which case that game has a 900k leg up on Mankind.

Either way you look at it, Mankind Divided sold poorly for how much it cost to make. Rise of the Tomb Raider is nearly at 1.5m on Steam fyi.

Well yeah, I'm not saying it sold well, just that the specific comparison didn't mean much.

Should've made it canon that I saved her because god fucking damnit I did and non-lethally because I am a pacifist hero god king
If you read the novel Deus Ex: Black Light (takes place after HR but before MD), it is implied that Malik survived HR, thus making it canon.

Brenal

so this is the videogame equivalent of a post credit scene in a movie that bombed?,
anyway its a shame Deus Ex is a great franchise.

Vibranium

Banned
Well...there's always the legendary original game on PC, guys! If anyone wants more Deus Ex and hasn't ever played the first, grab Kentie's Launcher and a copy on Steam or GOG.

I will hold out hope for a third game by Eidos in the far future, it would be nice if they could get more ambitious with the gameplay too. Improve enemy AI, add swimming, active melee (instead of button takedowns) etc.

Rarius

I can't get over how nothing the conflict in the game is, it's so obviously the end of act one of a larger story it's kinda ridiculous. The villain is like, the lackey of the lackey of the lackey of the lackey and his plan is ??? in the end he doesn't matter to the larger conspiracy.

That, and the game ends with a cliffhanger... that was revealed early on? Oh no, this character who was OVERTLY REFERRED TO AS AN AGENT OF THE ILLUMINATI turns out to be WORKING FOR THE ILLUMINATI.

What. What happened when writing when you legitimate forgot your plot twist?

Vibranium

Banned
I can't get over how nothing the conflict in the game is, it's so obviously the end of act one of a larger story it's kinda ridiculous. The villain is like, the lackey of the lackey of the lackey of the lackey and his plan is ??? in the end he doesn't matter to the larger conspiracy.

That, and the game ends with a cliffhanger... that was revealed early on? Oh no, this character who was OVERTLY REFERRED TO AS AN AGENT OF THE ILLUMINATI turns out to be WORKING FOR THE ILLUMINATI.

What. What happened when writing when you legitimate forgot your plot twist?

Yeah, the thing is, a lot of Deus Ex fans want to see Bob Page make his MJ12 coup on the Illuminati, as it is part of the lore leading up to DE1. But we had to settle for something smaller-stakes while all of the major players were in the shadows.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Square can only blame themselves for what happened. They took half a decade to make a cut-down sequel. After 5 years people were expecting more than a glorified expansion pack for Human Revolution.

d00d3n

Sequel or the second half ?

Because it felt like half a game..

Yes. Delivering only a 100 hour game was clearly a mistake, when the sensible fans expected more. Why didn't they provide a second city to explore to bring the play time up to 200 hours? Incredibly lazy, sloppy and cheap behavior from the developer

plushyp

Yes. Delivering only a 100 hour game was clearly a mistake, when the sensible fans expected more. Why didn't they provide a second city to explore to bring the play time up to 200 hours? Incredibly lazy, sloppy and cheap behavior from the developer
A complete playthrough of the game takes less than 50 hours.

Back on topic, it was a mistake to bring back Adam Jensen and set the game only 2 years after the first one. The game should have taken place around a decade or so later with a new playable character.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I should play this through. Played the first levels back in August, but man, I didn't really feel it. Human Revolution wasn't perfect, but it wasn't boring at least.

Bluth54

Mankind Divided isn't anywhere close to a 100 hour game in any normal play through.

Top Bottom