• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's Near-Future Prague is Such an Amazingly Detailed Hub

Which is one of many reasons why the original Deus Ex remains a decidedly superior Deus Ex title and game in general.
I keep hearing that Mankind Divided comes much closer to the magic of the original Deus Ex than Human Revolution ever did, but I couldn't tell because I never played the original (but plan to soon!).

Gator86

I keep hearing that Mankind Divided comes much closer to the magic of the original Deus Ex than Human Revolution ever did, but I couldn't tell because I never played the original (but plan to soon!).

The original is a top ten game ever made, for me at least. I'm not sure how well it holds up given it had some jank even at the time, but it is stellar. I think HR was closer, but that could be a product of nostalgia along with HR reviving the series in an incredible way. MD was less novel because it built heavily on HR without having to re-invent the wheel.

Vintage

I disliked it.

From artistic perspective it's really great, all the statues, textures, paintings, but it's pretty terrible from layout and navigation side.

All the streets are short, small and identical, there's very little sense of direction and a lack of landmarks to help you navigate. Sometimes the layout of the streets doesn't make sense. Everything is so cramped that at no point of the game I felt any freedom of exploring a city. It never felt like a city. Everything is made even worse by the split into 3 parts and travelling only by trains. Every time I arrived I had no idea in which part of Prague I was or which direction I'm facing.

Apart form navigation, the indoors are mostly same copy - pasted shops or apartments. They are designed brilliantly, but boring to explore.

I visited Prague a month ago and didn't get the same vibe at all. Maybe the grey color filter is the problem, because the city never ever looks grey.

Picked up Mankind Divided earlier this month when there was a price drop on Amazon to $16. I understand a lot of people weren't super hot on this most recent entry but as someone that really enjoyed their time with HR, I'm really looking forward to putting in some time with MD soon.

Picked up Mankind Divided earlier this month when there was a price drop on Amazon to $16. I understand a lot of people weren't super hot on this most recent entry but as someone that really enjoyed their time with HR, I'm really looking forward to putting in some time with MD soon.

I traded the game in after a play through and I just reordered again. This time I'll get the DLC. Hopefully it's worth it.

xandaca

Playing the game now, although not very far in. Prague's pretty great, although it can be a little hard to navigate as there's not much visual distinction between the areas of the city I've visited so far. Still, as mentioned, there's loads to explore and a lot of freedom to do so: I've just raided the bank, even though the last story event I completed was visiting TF29 for the first time.

A shame the PC version is so buggy: I can't reassign the iron sights keymap without it disabling my ability to fire weapons down sights (extremely annoying, as I like much prefer having iron sights assigned to Q rather than RMB - please let me know if anyone has experienced and solved this issue), weapons sometimes just start firing unstoppably after being unholstered unless unequipped, there are quite a few little visual glitches (missing objects, etc) and poor optimisations, but as a game, it's more of the same from Human Revolution, which was my favourite game of that year, so a very good thing. Whereas HR PC felt like an equal to its console bretheren, MD unfortunately gives the impression of being an afterthought.

Top Bottom