• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deutsche Bank analysts expect no headphone jack + include dongle for iPhone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-taking-huge-risk-with-new-iphone-strategy-2016-7

Here’s what Deutsche Bank analysts are expecting from the iPhone 7, based on its supply chain checks:

A “Plus” model with a dual-camera for better zoom and 3GB of RAM

A standard model with an improved camera and optical image stabilisation

Better sound, possibly stereo sound

“Professional class water-proofing”

A home button that uses motors to simulate a click, which would last longer than the current home button

A new colour, so there’s a version that looks different than current iPhones

The elimination of the 3.5mm headphone jack, as has been discussed endlessly. Headphones will instead plug in through Apple’s lightning charging port

Deutsche Bank expects Apple to include a Lightning-to-audio dongle with the iPhone 7, not a pair of Lightning headphones

epmode

I've been planning to buy an iPhone 7 for over a year now. If there's no jack, no sale. Might wait to see if Apple comes to their senses next year or just switch to Android.

Somewhat off topic, but are rumors indicating the new Macbook Pro is removing the headphone jack as well? I'm thinking about making the switch to Apple when that launches, but no headphone jack would be a deal breaker.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So Apple is relegating the headphone jack to a dongle, this is better than the current configuration how?

I'm not a fan of Apple's obsession with dangles.

nah, b

iphone-7-headphones.jpg

screen-shot-2016-06-29-at-11-00-16-am.jpg

BFIB

I just don't get it. I had one pair of bluetooth earbuds I bought earlier this year, and they were terrible. They'd disconnect here and there, and the sound just seemed better through my headphone jack.

So Apple is relegating the headphone jack to a dongle, this is better than the current configuration how?

I'm not a fan of Apple's obsession with dangles.
but muh thinnest phone ever

so thin it will fall between the cracks in your floorboards and the battery will last 20 minutes!

Blablurn

but muh thinnest phone ever

so thin it will fall between the cracks in your floorboards and the battery will last 20 minutes!

i want a thinner phone. i support apple with getting rid of the headphone jack. we're living in the future mate. time to get rid of the past.

jayu26

At least they are cheap. /s
Robocop's satire continues to be relevant.

Dick Jones: I had a guaranteed military sale with ED-209. Renovation program. Spare parts for 25 years. Who cares if it worked or not?

Well including dongle is better than not including it or giving Lighting Headphones.

OnPoint

Just picked up an SE earlier this week so I can ride the next 2-3 years with a proper headphone jack, no dongle needed. I mean, it might be less of an issue if the dongle had a pass through for charging? But I have a feeling it'll be a one-or-the-other type situation.

i want a thinner phone. i support apple with getting rid of the headphone jack. we're living in the future mate. time to get rid of the past.

We can go even thinner. The 8 won't even have a charging port. It'll be 4 glorious hours and then you'll never be able to use it again.

BunnyBear

I'm all in. I don't care about the headphone jack, it's time to usher in new tech and someone had to do it. The dongle thing will be forgotten within a week because it'll just work.

I think the positives will outweigh the negatives. It's just a shame that nobody will able to afford the new phones considering the prices in Aus.

Ensirius

I'm all in. I don't care about the headphone jack, it's time to usher in new tech and someone had to do it. The dongle thing will be forgotten within a week because it'll just work.

I think the positives will outweigh the negatives. It's just a shame that nobody will able to afford the new phones considering the prices in Aus.

I know it's been said so many times with Apple.

-They removing the dvd drive? The monsters! (I haven't used a dvd drive in YEARS)
-Floppy Drives back in the day as well.

This time I just feel it's just a little too soon, and for what? Making the phone EVEN thinner which I feel nobody is asking for, without increasing battery life (which I know many people are asking for, including me...)

Time will tell.

jelly

What are these positives?

The lightning connection is flimsy at best compared to the jack and will only lead to problems. If there was something as sturdy and brought new stuff to the table I could grumbly get on board but it's not the case whatsoever.

Even charging and listening or watching goes out the window with this. What a mess.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
love that you have to buy an adapter if you want to connect decent headphones to your phone, or if for whatever reason, you're happy with your apple earphones, you'll have to buy an adapter to plug them into anything else. that's before getting into 3.5/6.35 conversion.

Jeffrey

Is it even thinner though? The leaked shots all look like similar dimensions as the 6 family.

moto Z is super thin so there is a reasoning (Force version not so much) there...

I'm just hyped to see the spin from johnny Ive about why headphone jacks are supporting Trump or something.

At least do a better job than lenovo/motorola who didn't even bother doing any spinning.

jelly

Is it even thinner though? The leaked shots all look like similar dimensions as the 6 family.

moto Z is super thin so there is a reasoning (Force version not so much) there...

I'm just hyped to see the spin from johnny Ive about why headphone jacks are supporting Trump or something.

At least do a better job than lenovo/motorola who didn't even bother doing any spinning.

Unapologetically greedy and different because we have nothing else to offer. Look how smooth and symmetrical the bottom is with one port. It took our engineers years to be beaten into submission. Just touch that one special hole and feel the magic.

Guess Who

Banned
Somewhat off topic, but are rumors indicating the new Macbook Pro is removing the headphone jack as well? I'm thinking about making the switch to Apple when that launches, but no headphone jack would be a deal breaker.

Thankfully no, the rumored leaked casing of the next 13" Pro still has one.

wrowa

I can't wait for my headphones to break as easily as my Lightning charging cables.

I'm using bluetooth earbuds these days, but I can definitely see why people would rather want normal wired ones. Sometimes the connection will be disturbed resulting in ugly sounds, they are often kind of bulky if you get cheap ones, you are dependent on yet another battery, it's easier to lose them,...

Zaph

Is there any solid information on the difference between regular iPhone 7 and Pro? The Plus model is the bigger one, right?

I've been more than happy with my iPhone 6 for almost two years. At this point all I really want is a better battery. Would be perfect if the Pro is slightly thicker for that reason (but not huge like the Plus).

but they aren't getting rid of wires, they're just making you use a dongle. the report says they're even still including 3.5mm earbuds with the phone.

also, bluetooth sucks more

I don't like charging bluetooth ear buds, but I would take that over having wires dangling about.

I feel like in 1-2 years time, this will be a silly thing to be upset about.

Jeffrey

Just the last weekend, I was mowing the lawn and my bluetooth headphones died from empty battery. I stopped, went back to my house, got a pair of wired headphones, continued on with my day.

Unless apple has solved the issue of requiring to charge wireless headphones with alien tech, its always good to have a headphone jack even if you mostly use wireless stuff, but I'm reasonable, give me a good reason.

You take a core feature out making life more inconvenient, you better give me something new that makes life more convenient in a different way or something.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't like charging bluetooth ear buds, but I would take that over having wires dangling about.

I feel like in 1-2 years time, this will be a silly thing to be upset about.

It's not just charging, though. It's all these cons:

- worse audio quality
- latency
- low battery life
- it drains more battery from your phone, too
- having to pair and unpair to switch devices
- forced to use the headphone's built-in DAC

All for one pro:

- no wire.

I don't understand the benefit to this? So the phone can be thinner? That's literally the only advantage. Why would anyone want that?

Zaph

- worse audio quality
- latency
- low battery life

All for one pro:

- no wire.

Yeah, I'm at a point now where I've just had enough of charging things. My phone, my Macbook and that's it. Got rid of my wireless headphones, only use my tablet for development (then it's tethered), and refuse to buy a fitness device (even though I'm into fitness).

It's just not worth thinking about.

NIGHT-

- worse audio quality
- latency
- low battery life

All for one pro:

- no wire.

This seriously may push me to get a s7 this year instead. I'll wait and see what Apple has to officially offer, of course

Jeffrey

I just don't get why companies are in such a rush.

Maybe first introduce some of these erotic wireless/usb-c/lightning headphones that are so orgasmic that I throw away my old cans first before removing the jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom