• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deutsche Bank analysts expect no headphone jack + include dongle for iPhone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about buying a 6S instead of a 7...

No one needs even thinner phones. Apple is losing it. They would take a thicker phone with a bigger battery though. Wouldn't you like your iPhone to join the Xperia and Galaxy users that don't need to plug in at noon and can get through a day with ease?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Doesn't change my point. It's bigger. Apple and Moto have different design priorities. And Apple has complete control over lightening without having to appeal to a governing consortium.

Honestly if Apple can deliver some dongle like this then most people won't even notice it IMO

USB-3-1-Type-C-Adapter-to-3-5mm-Port-Audio-Speakder-Microphone-Female-Adapter-Only.jpg_640x640.jpg
"Substantially bigger"? In the context of a 5.7mm qualifier? Well, ok, then I guess I misunderstood your point. I think the real reason for why we have Lightning is Apple needed an uber thin connector and USBC was years away, so they made their own. Apple's engineers wouldn't have a problem making a thin as hell smartphone with USBC today if they wanted.

Deku Tree

"Substantially bigger"? In the context of a 5.7mm qualifier? Well, ok, then I guess I misunderstood your point. I think the real reason for why we have Lightning is Apple needed an uber thin connector and USBC was years away, so they made their own. Apple's engineers wouldn't have a problem making a thin as hell smartphone with USBC today if they wanted.

Well the rumor was that Apple 100% designed USBC and rejected it in favor of lightening, and then gifted the USBC design to the consortium.

Apple has never been interested in putting a standard port on their phones, nor do they use "standard" charging methods etc.

Engell

Well the rumor was that Apple 100% designed USBC and rejected it in favor of lightening, and then gifted the USBC design to the consortium.

Yes apple invented everything...

http://www.intelfreepress.com/news/usb-type-c-history/9346/

The new spec, known as USB Type-C, initially grew out of talks between AMD, HP, Intel, and Microsoft while developing USB 3.1 and eventually involved dozens of other companies, but Apple and Google are among the first to implement it in laptops. More companies are expected to announce products soon in the effort to further simplify the plug-in experience.

Doesn't change my point. It's bigger. Apple and Moto have different design priorities. And Apple has complete control over lightening without having to appeal to a governing consortium.

Honestly if Apple can deliver some dongle like this then most people won't even notice it IMO

USB-3-1-Type-C-Adapter-to-3-5mm-Port-Audio-Speakder-Microphone-Female-Adapter-Only.jpg_640x640.jpg
The extra points of failiure look so innivotive.

jogu

Why can't they make thin phone with 3.5 which is slightly thicker? Isn't camera area usually already thicker than rest of the phone, so why not 2 thick areas and rest of it thin?

Deku Tree

Why can't they make thin phone with 3.5 which is slightly thicker? Isn't camera area usually already thicker than rest of the phone, so why not 2 thick areas and rest of it thin?

I am not a phone engineer, but as I understand it a substantial part of the problem not only the width of the 3.5mm but also the depth. It takes up a lot of space inside the phone, which limits the internal space for other things.

In a sub 6mm phone every tiny amount of internal space counts for a lot.

They should get rid of the home button instead. And it would be nice (for all manufactures, actually) to not only have variants in screensize / storage capacity, but also on battery size.

I'll gladly buy a thicker phone with a bigger battery. My S7 edge has been incredible on that front.

Plasma

Banned
Well if you're gonna take away the headphone jack at least give me TWO lightning ports.

I really like charging my phone while actually using it with headphones in a library or something without having to worry about a wireless headset also dying on me.
Same, the whole thing seems to be ill thought out and I don't want to carry extra dongles around just to listen to my music.

Deku Tree

I'm just guessing here but if it's a cable dongle, then they could even put some kind of a "grab" thing on the end of it to hold it in place to your regular headphones end, and then it could just possibly feel like part of your headphones cable. Of course I'm just making that up. IDK

Apple won't include a dongle for your headphone jack. That's not how they role -- they will sell it individually on their site but it's not an elegant solution in their eyes.

I have no qualms as to the removal of the headphone jack; I think it will at least kickstart the production of good quality Bluetooth earbuds (Bluetooth headphones are really good already).

Two Words

His point is that this kind of step will accelerate the move towards wireless and bluetooth.

I don't really understand the whining and I think this will be a laughable overreaction like bent phone was. (Remember, that was supposed to be the death of Apple.)

This is just utter bollocks, to be frank. You think they'd do that considering the hugely competitive phone market right now? Get a grip.
Nobody said bent iPhones would be the death of Apple. What the hell are you talking about?

Apple won't include a dongle for your headphone jack. That's not how they role -- they will sell it individually on their site but it's not an elegant solution in their eyes.

I have no qualms as to the removal of the headphone jack; I think it will at least kickstart the production of good quality Bluetooth earbuds (Bluetooth headphones are really good already).
Wireless technology has so many applicable fields beyond dumb little iPhone accessories. This will not suddenly fix the problem that exist by somehow making engineers less lazy or something.

AllenShrz

Post like these really break my heart, might as well start saying that 30fps is as good as 60.

Jeffrey

the problem with dongles, 90% sure the lightning connector port part is gonna be made of the same stuff as your standard apple lightning cables... which all are busted to hell within a year.

seriously why the hell are these so flimsy?

Easily the weakest usb cables ive ever had for any phone or device.

the problem with dongles, 90% sure the lightning connector port part is gonna be made of the same stuff as your standard apple lightning cables... which all are busted to hell within a year.

seriously why the hell are these so flimsy?

Easily the weakest usb cables ive ever had for any phone or device.

Need to buy braided cables from 3rd parties. I've gotten a few USB-C ones and they seem sturdy as hell.

Jeffrey

Need to buy braided cables from 3rd parties. I've gotten a few USB-C ones and they seem sturdy as hell.

Yeah I get anker ones.

I've never really needed to get 3rd party microusb cables though, or portable stuff or anything.

It's only the apple cables, from lightning to the older connector port that get exposed wires ever for me.

SUPARSTARX

Meh. Android phones have had waterproofing, more memory, and some even with dual lens for a while.

Interested in seeing how mainstream adopts the lack of 3.5mm headphone jack. Will we see a huge surge in lightning cable headphones/earphones or USB-C.

Jeffrey

Meh. Android phones have had waterproofing, more memory, and some even with dual lens for a while.

Interested in seeing how mainstream adopts the lack of 3.5mm headphone jack. Will we see a huge surge in lightning cable headphones/earphones or USB-C.

can't wait for the flow of knockoffs that blow up your phone.

Post like these really break my heart, might as well start saying that 30fps is as good as 60.

Consumer facing headphones are more than adequate. If you're looking for hi-def sound quality, you're more than likely spending more than the average consumer would anyway.

Nobody said bent iPhones would be the death of Apple. What the hell are you talking about?

Wireless technology has so many applicable fields beyond dumb little iPhone accessories. This will not suddenly fix the problem that exist by somehow making engineers less lazy or something.

Where did I say this will fix wireless technology issues beyond making better earbuds? It's incentivising manufacturers as they know more and more (mainstream) consumers will now be inclined to utilise Bluetooth headsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom