• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop 2010 | Reasons why some publishers turned down 'Joe Danger'

jett

D-Member
Murray revealed that Joe Danger broke-even on its first day of release on PSN and sold 50,000 copies in its first week.

This downloadable games are much cheaper to make than I thought.

jett said:

First day sales are typically a fairly high percentage of first week sales in retail, and I'd imagine that that the same applies in DD, although with a longer tail.

Add to that the costs cut by not having to produce packaged games (retailer cut, publisher cut, manufacturing, printing etc.) and I could certainly see a four-man team breaking even on sub-50k sales.

matmanx1

Fascinating stuff. I'm glad Joe Danger did well and hope it continues to do well for them.

And does it really surprise anyone that there are some completely clueless people in the games publishing industry? I mean really...

Publishers these days are tightening up big time and are scared pantless to just about anything that isn't a sequel or a sure thing. Those excuses they made to the devs of Joe Danger are just that...excuses. Do not take them as anything but or a sign of anything in gaming. It's the equivalent of the dating cliche "It's not you, it's me."

Saying things like "put monkeys in" and "we need less fun" makes no sense cause they're excuses. It's just like someone breaking up with you cause you're too nice or too smart or whatever. It's just a way of saying "Not interested. Never will be."

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
”Collecting giant coins feels unrealistic to me”
”We want games that are less about fun right now”

Imagine listening to this being used as a serious reason against your work. I don't know Murray but I feel for the guy and any other developer that has to deal with this kind of shit.

jett said:

It was also quite expensive (especially compared to other "indie" games like Critter Crunch), maybe they didn't expect the success themselves so they originally calculated with a higher income per purchase so they can make some money out of it.

Gravijah

Fuu said:
”Collecting giant coins feels unrealistic to me”
”We want games that are less about fun right now”

Imagine listening to this being used as a serious reason against your work. I don't know Murray but I feel for the guy and any other developer that has to deal with this kind of shit.

Those are the things people would say if Nintendo tried to pitch Super Mario Bros to major publishers today. Think about that.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sounds about the publishers of today yes.

Fuck them too for it

He should've named those pubs too

vareon said:
They want games to be less about fun? How the fuck does that makes sense?

It's a real question.

Games were the goal of the game is not to entertain you, or for you the player to have fun. Games that have a theme, story or feel of something more then "everything is happy-land and these mechanics are really fun!".

Basically it's a way of saying "evolving video games to something more then juvenile stupid teenage entertainment crap", which I am all for.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hahaha!! Damn. Giant coins and monkeys.

Grats to Hello Games, though. Totally deserving, I've been playing Joe Danger on and off the last week or so and it's fun as hell.

Gravijah

Vinterbird said:
Games were the goal of the game is not to entertain you, or for you the player to have fun. Games that have a theme, story or feel of something more then "everything is happy-land and these mechanics are really fun!".

Basically it's a way of saying "evolving video games to something more then juvenile stupid teenage entertainment crap", which I am all for.

Strangely, games with themes and story seem to be aimed more at teens than games that aim to just be pure fun. ;)

vareon said:
They want games to be less about fun? How the fuck does that makes sense?

It's a real question.

It means "We're not interested in publishing your game. here's some bullshit to string you along cause we don't have the balls to just out and say it"

Actors, screenplay writers, authors and the like have to deal with this side-talk all the time. It's a part of the publisher -> client relationship. These guys must be new to it cause it shouldn't surprise anyone with any experience with this sort of thing.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Vinterbird said:

In general, sure. How the hell can you apply this to an arcade type videogame tho?

Teetris said:
In general, sure. How the hell can you apply this to an arcade type videogame tho?

I have no idea, I read the ”We want games that are less about fun right now” as what the publisher was focusing on publishing wise, and not a general critique of Joe Danger itself, more as a "it's cool and all, but not our focus at the moment".

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gravijah said:
Those are the things people would say if Nintendo tried to pitch Super Mario Bros to major publishers today. Think about that.
That was my first thought as well. I'm not gonna glance knowingly at NSMBWii and its sales figures, cause of differences in PS3 vs. Wii userbase, etc, etc, but still....

Looks like an awesome game, btw. On my "buy" list for this fall.

dionysus

Yaldog
Joseph Merrick said:
maybe we're on the threshold of a huge resurgence for simulators and hardcore strategy :O~~

Sarcasm? Cause I hope you aren't implying that simulation and strategy fans are not having fun.

Fixed1979

“Name me one popular game with motorbikes?”

71tfkx.png

I'm sure these type of comments happen to lots of developers pitching their wares. It's always nice to see a success story come from it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hahaha, I must have missed that quote in the game when I played.

Good for Hello Games.
The game is really fun. Classic style gameplay.

They should make a new Uniracers style game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Publishers are all cunts.

Except the monkey guy. That guy knows whats going on.

No context of the conversation to those quotes so they should be dismissed. High risk on PS3 has become a simple coin flip. Making it a system of no right or wrong game decisions. The early risks from Sony were already taken early in the generation. I don't need that much info or word of mouth to purchase a game on the PS3. It just has to click. Other systems it has to be heavily advertise or gotten strong word of mouth. I purchased the game with only the knowledge that I'd be on a bike and jumping buses.

Xater

Fixed1979 said:
http://i45.tinypic.com/71tfkx.png[IMG]

I'm sure these type of comments happen to lots of developers pitching their wares. It's always nice to see a success story come from it.[/QUOTE]

This screen is now even funnier. :lol :lol :lol

Fixed1979

crazy monkey said:
monkey guy sound smart actually. Monkey with great name and riding bikes and doing stunts and collecting coins could be classic.

...must...resist...avatar...quote...

Bah! Beaten

monocromo said:
50000 copies at $15 is something like $750000 for a 4 men project. Also, throw Sony's Pub Fund in the equation.
well I was about to say this but: 50k is the first WEEK of sales, and they broke even on Day 1. That mean's the game cost less than 750k to develop. I still haven't bought this yet.

vocab

"Name me one popular game with motorbikes".

Jesus Christ, I could name more than one.

Those excuses are just down right depressing.

monocromo

BobTheFork said:
well I was about to say this but: 50k is the first WEEK of sales, and they broke even on Day 1. That mean's the game cost less than 750k to develop. I still haven't bought this yet.

I haven't either... stupid block to foreign credit cards =( . I miss my PSN games.

monocromo said:
50000 copies at $15 is something like $750000 for a 4 men project. Also, throw Sony's Pub Fund in the equation.
yea, in a crazy world where devs keep all the money their games make.

unfortunately this world does not exist.

Withnail

Well if they broke even on day one I guess the publisher rejections were a blessing in disguise. More money for Hello Games. :D

monocromo

Cromulent_Word said:

Yeah, I know that. A part of the earnings (and sometimes a big part) goes to the publisher... I was not referring that all the money was for developers... that's why I wrote that the X amount of money was for the project. The "4-men project" part was probably misleading. Its likely that I have not expressed myself properly... my english is pretty bad.

thcsquad

Cromulent_Word said:

Well, it is self-published and there's no retailer. So I imagine the only other entity making money off of that $15 is Sony.

Top Bottom