• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop Rumor: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

As a launch day buyer of the 360, I am partially excited, but hm, I have made it a rule not to buy the first gen. of anything.

Deciding factor will be content.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
These are probably really, really early dev kits. They may have just sped up the timing of the announcement and the distribution of dev kits because of Nintendo's announcement but I have a feeling the actual release time frame will be the same as originally intended.

JABEE

This E3 will be awesome. I hope they show something about the new Xbox. They'll probably just show a code name and explain the concept though.

offshore

"That’s why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3.”

Well as long as they rush the announcement and not the hardware.

JoeBoy101

Even if they are still far off, I'd believe MS would make an early announcement at E3 regardless, just to steal thunder from Nintendo.

mj1108

GregLombardi said:
Looks like Nintendo is forcing the Industry's hand.

Not surprised at all. Once of the 3 said something about a new console, it's obvious the other 2 would follow in lockstep.

My guess is it was seen at an EA sports studio.

I think think its entirely possible EA does have a prototype, but the article is taking a leap to say that there will be an E3 announcement and 2012 launch.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Noooo, they need to wait for late 2013 if they want the really interesting tech coming out. It won't be ready before then.

gunther

wasnt microsoft just started the development procces of the new xbox. I remember some new about microsoft hiring some engineers for the design of the new console a couple of months ago.
I hope microsoft dosnt rush things thay cant make the same mistakes that they did with the 360(RROD and all)

sajj316

claviertekky said:
As a launch day buyer of the 360, I am partially excited, but hm, I have made it a rule not to buy the first gen. of anything.

I will wait on the purchase unlike last time. If things are in the clear 6-8 months after launch .. my body will then be ready.

luffeN

claviertekky said:

I do this too now. I still get exited when a new system launches but my urge to instantly buy new hardware has definitely gone back.

Vorg

Banned
I´m willing to bet they want to go the wii route and launch outdated hardware for profitability out of the gate.

Negator

domlolz said:
why aren't you lot questioning the validity of this rumour? does this site have a good track record?

Everyone else is releasing information about unreleased consoles. All bets are off at this point.

And yes, I'm counting NGP as a console.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
God I hope Sony get there ass in gear for next gen, I have a bad feeling they are going to drag their heals again, although if there are not going to be any major architectural changes hopefully it will be easier and cheaper to push a new system out of the gate and help with backwards compatibility as this is the single most important thing for me next gen.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Seda said:
Only four people.

But anyways.

My body is ready.

Yeah I was being sarcastic!

q01HM.jpg

microsoft is being very smart about it. the new nintendo system won't be getting superior ports for a long time, and by the time microsoft comes out with their new system, the super wii will look as bad as the wii currently does

plus, sony has lost a lot of money on the ps3, and they're trying to launch the psp2. sony can't spend much money on their next system, and they don't have the manpower to launch two systems at the same time as well, forcing sony to either half ass both like they did this gen, or to focus on one

well played, microsoft. very well played

Lothars

yankeehater said:
I really hope MS does mention something at E3 this year. I am so ready for a new MS console.

I hope they don't it's still at least two years to early, I hope it's 2013 at the soonest.

Everybody is always working on new hardware, but I don't believe that Microsoft has a system out this early. They were only just getting warmed up circa GDC according to those job postings, and if they've got something ready right now then it must be extreeeemely rushed. There's also no way that a system could have alpha devkits in devs hands for less than 2 months and expect to "stealth thunder" at E3.

Expecting a sony rumor soon, followed by a no-show of both parties outside of a "we are working on a next generation successor" with maybe a vague publisher support announcement.

McHuj

YES!

I doubt we'll hear anything at this E3, but by next E3 for sure. I'm hoping for an Xmas 2012 launch.

Those people like me who bought close to launch are ready for something new.

Good...as long as it's still a regular system with minimal Kinect crap. My PC was getting bored of maxing all these console ports.

apana

Green Biker Dude said:
microsoft is being very smart about it. the new nintendo system won't be getting superior ports for a long time, and by the time microsoft comes out with their new system, the super wii will look as bad as the wii currently does

plus, sony has lost a lot of money on the ps3, and they're trying to launch the psp2. sony can't spend much money on their next system, and they don't have the manpower to launch two systems at the same time as well, forcing sony to either half ass both like they did this gen, or to focus on one

well played, microsoft. very well played

I think you're doing a little too much strategery here, we don't know what any of these systems are yet or what Sony has in development.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Everybody is always working on new hardware, but I don't believe that Microsoft has a system out this early. They were only just getting warmed up circa GDC according to those job postings, and if they've got something ready right now then it must be extreeeemely rushed. There's also no way that a system could have alpha devkits in devs hands for less than 2 months and expect to "stealth thunder" at E3.

Expecting a sony rumor soon, followed by a no-show of both parties outside of a "we are working on a next generation successor" with maybe a vague publisher support announcement.

I think the most realistic scenario is Sony and MS trying to out-do each other at E3 2012.

JABEE

acidspunk said:
I´m willing to bet they want to go the wii route and launch outdated hardware for profitability out of the gate.
I don't think they'll be able to succeed with that approach. What will happen to COD, Halo, and Gears? They need there core audience to survive. If they use the Wii approach they'll alienate themselves from their audience an publishers.

JoeBoy101

sajj316 said:
I will wait on the purchase unlike last time. If things are in the clear 6-8 months after launch .. my body will then be ready.

Considering how much crap they ate and money lost on the 360 RROD, I fully expect the launch consoles to be solid from them this time. Once a company gets hit that big, expect them to react in an according manner up to over-reacting. I'd expect they'll test the shit out of the launch consoles before releasing.

Kinda like Sony. Their crash course in network security is going to ensure that the next formal interation of PSN will be locked down tighter than nuclear codes.

obonicus

ThoseDeafMutes said:

It's almost as if we're nearing E3 and rumors start cropping up out of nowhere.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
claviertekky said:

I'm pretty sure the next generations of console will be much more conservative in terms of RAM/CPU leap compared to the current generation. I fully expect MS at least to release something that would be an ok good PC by the time it's on shelves, and not a high-end system like the 360 and PS3 were when they were released.
Power consumption (and thus heat output) is on a downward trend for most of the PC parts (except the GPU, but I don't expect next-gen consoles to have monsters gpus, especially), and I really think MS' next won't be much more of an electricity hog than the current slim 360.

apana said:
I think you're doing a little too much strategery here, we don't know what any of these systems are yet or what Sony has in development.
maybe so, maybe so. but this is definitely the right time for microsoft to act.

I don't see the benefit of such an early announcement. Same goes for Nintendo. Why announce something that is still 12-18 months away?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
brotkasten said:
I don't see the benefit of such an early announcement. Same goes for Nintendo.

The success of the "HD twins" of late has more or less forced Nintendo's hands, and that itself will force the hands of both Sony and Microsoft.

Rad-

It might be just a very early version, to get hardware feedback from developers. I doubt MS will release new system before November 2012, nor announce it before E3 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom