• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop Rumor: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

plc268

gunther said:
wasnt microsoft just started the development procces of the new xbox. I remember some new about microsoft hiring some engineers for the design of the new console a couple of months ago.
I hope microsoft dosnt rush things thay cant make the same mistakes that they did with the 360(RROD and all)

It's definitely in their best interest not to cut corners like they did last time... they lost a shit ton of money that took them forever to fix.

brotkasten said:
I don't see the benefit of such an early announcement. Same goes for Nintendo. Why announce something that is still 12-18 months away?

Simple: to build hype

sajj316

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Everybody is always working on new hardware, but I don't believe that Microsoft has a system out this early. They were only just getting warmed up circa GDC according to those job postings, and if they've got something ready right now then it must be extreeeemely rushed. There's also no way that a system could have alpha devkits in devs hands for less than 2 months and expect to "stealth thunder" at E3.

Expecting a sony rumor soon, followed by a no-show of both parties outside of a "we are working on a next generation successor" with maybe a vague publisher support announcement.

Agree with this. Nintendo will be the first to show. Sony and MS will follow but won't comment on 'rumors'. 360 still has some juice and so does the PS3. No reason to announce anything for this year's E3.

I do hope that MS positions itself to be more first party. I'd like some new stuff from MGS and maybe a purchase or two of talented studios.

Chaplain

brotkasten said:
Why announce something that is still 12-18 months away?

To make people not buy other consoles and wait for the new ones. By Nintendo announcing their new hardware last month, my wife and I decided not to buy the Wii and wait to play current Wii games on the new console.

People who honestly thought MS and Sony would wait until 2014 after Nintendo announced their new plans were living in a dream world. You don't just let a competitor have the market all to itself.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
People are saying that if the kit is just going out now, the launch must be in 2013-14 as earlier rumoured, but I don't think so. Chances are this is going to be standard PC parts, and not dissimilar to the 360. It should be easy to up-port 360 projects. It's in Microsoft's best interests that they launch close to Nintendo, so they'll target holiday 2012. 19 months notice for third parties is plenty.

From The Dust said:
If dev kits are just now hitting EA, then announcements is ways away
They'll announce at E3 to stop Nintendo getting all the attention.
There'll probably be a few thrown together tech demos, and that will be it. Maybe 34i will have a little bit of Halo to show.

JaseC said:
If Sony once again stumble out the gate last with the most expensive console, there isn't a procedure in the world that could remove the palm from my forehead.
I have a feeling Sony is fucked. If Microsoft and Nintendo both launch in 2012, there will be a percieved generational change, and Sony are going to have to come up with a very compelling hook to get a large chunk of the market.

I can see them placing most of their focus on handhelds from here on out.

acidspunk said:
I´m willing to bet they want to go the wii route and launch outdated hardware for profitability out of the gate.
Yep.
It's the way of the future.
way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future way of the future

mik83kuu

Banned
Just a few hours earlier I was thinking about this and how both MS and Sony are going to have to announce at least something related to their next generation machines at E3 2011. This makes me happy, even if it is a rumor.

Yoshiya

There's no way can I see MS taking another bath on hardware before 2014 (nor Sony for that matter). The whole Xbox enterprise has been anything but profitable by MS standards, so they have to leave the lucrative tail end of the generation untouched to make the absolute most of the install base they've spent billions to create. Why would they even bother to stay in the business otherwise?

Ricker

But but but...I just bought a 360 Slim with a 250gig HDD ;) ...I don`t think we will see anything about a new system this E3 from MS,we might hear about stuff coming but nothing like the Wii HD presence that will be there...

That would be great news for Nintendo I think a relief really not having to go at it alone waiting for the other guys to top you in two years. A year gap may not give enough advancement to be leaped over so it would be the same Gen.

FrankT

Fall 2012 would make for one amazing year next year. Just think if they had GTAV running on this thing. Long shot though as I think that will hit by this time next year or earlier. MS may really be pushing forward here, but the timing I'm not so sure they would be ready to show this thing by E3 in full form. That would make for a great E3 2012 though. Edit, Develop is normally a pretty good source, but not always on the mark.

Quite a surprise if they do announce this at E3, I'd imagine it would steal a lot of headlines. Their conference is first again this year too.

JaseC said:
The success of the "HD twins" of late has more or less forced Nintendo's hands, and that itself will force the hand of both Sony and Microsoft.
And I don't see how such an early announcement will change anything. Will people stop buying PS3s or 360s, just because Nintendo's new console is coming out next year? I don't think so.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If this is true, and Nintendo's console is only slightly better than current systems Nintendo may be screwed.

Very interesting.

Would be hilarous if the Cafè ends up being the most powerful of the 2 consoles.

Nintendo was secretly storing casuals' money made on the Wii to unleash the ultimate hardcore gaming console. 18 GB of proprietary DDR7 RAM, dual GXT590 gpu archytecture, 2 tera HD and games shipping on Sony's upcoming Bluray2 support.
Believe.

Blimblim said:
I love this pre-new generation of consoles era. So much speculations, lies and leaks :)
Edit: Imagine Assassin's Creed 3 being a launch title. That would be awesome :p

Someone was joking about a 2011 release with BF3, and it seemed impossible.

Now this. xD

Halo 4 teaser at E3? That's how you buy the show again.

[Nintex]

brotkasten said:
I don't see the benefit of such an early announcement. Same goes for Nintendo. Why announce something that is still 12-18 months away?
Well, we're looking at a Genesis vs. SNES like situation. These systems will be somewhat comparable and both are coming out in 2012(but spring/summer for Nintendo's and holiday 2012 for MS's) so they're both going to sprint out there before Sony can respond. Nintendo and Microsoft can force Sony's hand or drive them into a corner.

As for games, MS has 343i and Corrine Yu working on a new Halo engine for a while now. Just contract a studio for a PGR5 and 'bam' there's your launch.

Krev said:
I have a feeling Sony is fucked. If Microsoft and Nintendo both launch in 2012, there will be a percieved generational change, and Sony are going to have to come up with a very compelling hook to get a large chunk of the market.

I can see them placing most of their focus on handhelds from here on out.

SONY GOING THIRD PARTY.

VisanidethDM said:
Would be hilarous if the Cafè ends up being the most powerful of the 2 consoles.

Nintendo was secretly storing casuals' money made on the Wii to unleash the ultimate hardcore gaming console. 18 GB of proprietary DDR7 RAM, dual GXT590 gpu archytecture, 2 tera HD and games shipping on Sony's upcoming Bluray2 support.
Believe.
$999 ?

brotkasten said:
And I don't see how such an early announcement will change anything. Will people stop buying PS3s or 360s, just because Nintendo's new console is coming out next year? I don't think so.

Those kinds of gamers currently have 2 choices. When the new Wii launches, it will be 3 options. So sales will be taken away from both MS and Sony.

From The Dust said:
If dev kits are just now hitting EA, then announcements is ways away
These days I'm not so sure, it's just a matter of porting your forthcoming PC/360 titles to a similar but more powerful architecture.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, E3's kinectbox rebranding made me wonder, and there was that gaf insider talking about prepping chips for late next year.

Mik2121

I can see the E3 2012 being the E3 of the new consoles (new XBOX and new PS, that is) where they announce new stuff and release in the Christmas of 2012 or 1st quarter of 2013. During that time the new Wii will probably be selling like hotcakes if they get a good price and some new device to sell to the mases like they did with the wiimote and Wii sports.

I know I will probably be buying the Wii 2, if just to see Nintendo doing HD games for the first time.

FrankT

Graphics Horse said:
These days I'm not so sure, it's just a matter of porting your forthcoming PC titles to a similar but more powerful architecture.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, E3's kinectbox rebranding made me wonder, and there was that gaf insider talking about prepping chips for late next year.

What gaf insider?

Wow... I really wasn't expecting this at all. Considering this new hardware was delivered in a PC shell, would they even show anything at E3 or just mention that next-gen is on the way? I can't remember in previous years, but does a company say "we have something coming!" without having some protoype hardware to visually brand the new console?

Lothars

OldJadedGamer said:
No one is forcing you to buy at launch. It will be 7 years for a lot of people. It's time.

It's not time though, Yes it's been 7 years but doesn't mean that it can't go another year or two after that because I still feel that 2012 is to soon.

JABEE

brotkasten said:
When your competitor was the top selling system of last generation you need to make sure they don't get a headstart. You can't let that happen.

Graphics Horse said:
These days I'm not so sure, it's just a matter of porting your forthcoming PC/360 titles to a similar but more powerful architecture.

I guess. it sounds like a rush job though.

Krev said:
They'll announce at E3 to stop Nintendo getting all the attention.
There'll probably be a few thrown together tech demos, and that will be it. Maybe 34i will have a little bit of Halo to show.

yea, but they still have to go up against playable demos. while the attention will be split, Nintendo will still gain the largest amount of interest

Sydle

Yoshiya said:
There's no way can I see MS taking another bath on hardware before 2014 (nor Sony for that matter). The whole Xbox enterprise has been anything but profitable by MS standards, so they have to leave the lucrative tail end of the generation untouched to make the absolute most of the install base they've spent billions to create. Why would they even bother to stay in the business otherwise?

MS said back in 2001 that they were prepared to go three generations before reaching profitability. After seeing the amount of money they invested in Kinect and how well its played out for them I have no doubt in my mind MS is prepared to invest heavily in making sure the Xbox brand continues to gain momentum.

sajj316

Hiro said:
*yawn* I can't wait till you quit repeating this bullshit mantra.

*yawn* .. didn't think my opinion was ritualistic enough to be qualified as a mantra.

Ok .. if Hiro would like to hear info on the new box, MS .. please, don't let my opinion stop you!

McHuj

Jtyettis said:
What gaf insider?

Some dude working for AMD. He said their customer asked them to pull in their schedule for a 2012 launch.

Everyone assume it was Nintendo, but given that the rumors are that Nintendo is using a R700 series GPU and an IBM PPC, it could be MS.

Given Nintendo's announcement and the associated rumors, they're not the ones pulling in a schedule. They had Wii2 planned for a while.

H_Prestige said:
Those kinds of gamers currently have 2 choices. When the new Wii launches, it will be 3 options. So sales will be taken away from both MS and Sony.
Yeah, but if I want/need a new console now, why should I wait more than a year to buy something more expensive with a smaller game library? edit: Scratched that part because it doesn't matter in this argument.

Maybe I'm seeing this too much from the perspective of the smartphone market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom