• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop Rumor: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphaNoid

Banned
I would shit my pants if MS announces full standardized keyboard & mouse + controller support for all games and that developers have to meet that standard (just like everything else MS standardizes for all titles).

THAT ... that would be a megaton.

nextgeneration said:
Yeah, no way it'll be in the same ball park as 6970. Maybe if it was coming out several years from now, sure, but I don't see it happening. Your laptop should be fine. :)

No!!!! I wont consoles to blow my laptop away! I am in it for the graphics

neptunes

nelsonroyale said:
Hopefully Sony holds off a bit longer though...I am just getting a new laptop with quad core, 8 gb ram, SSD and 6970m...it would be absolute crap if it surpassed/was in the same ballpark as the next gen systems...

Neptune: Has the 360 really been that profitable with all the recalls? I cant imagine it, but I am sure Live has raked in the cash
Most companies set aside insurance in the odd chance that recall's do happen.

The recall was quite a while long ago, I'm pretty sure Microsoft has recuperated it's damages already.

mxgt

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
No!!!! I wont consoles to blow my laptop away! I am in it for the graphics

With how tech is advancing consoles will never blow away a good PC or laptop.

Vieo said:
Sony doesn't need to announce a new console. PS3 is so powerful, it's like two generational leaps!

I know right, have you seen the motorstorm and KZ2 trailers? That shit be crazy!

Condolences on the avatar text btw.

V_Ben said:
Oh man, E3 is going to be outstanding. I kinda expect Sony to show a logo at the end of their Press Conference too, just to get everybody talking! This is the best time for the industry, so much exciting gossip :p

There's no way Sony say anything about PlayStation 4 as far as I'm concerned. 0% chance.

Luckyman

Banned
nextgeneration said:
I'll believe it when Microsoft officially announces it. I'm just optimistically hoping this is true at this point.

I can already see huge backslash when this is hyped for the MS event and its a obv no show.

Its makes no sense for them to show some mega early software and announce it over a year early looking at the NPDs. Not that i think it will launch even 2012.

Linkified

The real question is, the potential game Epic is working on for next generation is that 360 exclusive or timed exclusive for microsoft?

Cornbread78

Wazzim said:
I am totally ready for a new box, bring it on!

Funny, I said to same thing about my wife yesterday....

Oh, and my guess is 720 launch will be right after E3, 2013 and Sony Holiday season of 2013 both will be rushed and riddled with tech errors for the first 6 mos. as they try to best one another....

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Man God said:
Actually I'd say the two best looking OXBOX games were both third party, though one was exclusive. Ninja Gaiden (Exclusive) and Splinter Cell 3 (Whatever stupid subtitle it had, not exclusive)
Good point.
Still, it was for the most party held back by PS2 focused development, with things like Forza and Halo 2 pushing the hardware more.

infinityBCRT said:
As for hardware I expect it to be a faster PPC architecture with overall specs close or exceeding what we saw with the UE3 next-gen demo at GDC.
I really doubt that. That would be one hell of an expensive console in 2012.

madara

I suppose there is an overwhelming chance I will not need this console. Clearly most 360 users are afraid of color or stylish art and iconic graphics. The few titles Microsoft did push early on have long since dried up and disappeared for this fps system. Guess I cant expect much change on that front.

Microsoft announced Kinect 18 months before it went on sale, when all they had were some prototypes and bullshot PR videos.

It's not out of the question that they would show a logo with the phrase "coming holiday 2012" for their next system.

However, I'll say we wont hear anything from Microsoft this year and that they wont have a time frame for their new machine until they see what Nintendo is going to bring to the table.

Does EA have early dev kits? Probably, games are going to take even longer to develop in the Next-Next-Gen environment. So it shouldn't be out of the question that Microsoft would be showing prototype architecture to the biggest publishers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Paco said:
You've learned nothing about MS. They've tasted blood, they're not going to let up. They're not going to give up the hardcore market. They'll continue chasing the casual market. It's coming.

MS has sunk billions into the hardcore market the past near decade and all they have to show for it is another also-ran console and an RROD fiasco. Windows/Office *still* make up 85% of MS' revenue.

Meanwhile, Ballmer and the top brass are refocusing on Windows in the form of the ARM port. Windows Everywhere is what they are calling it. I would say that the days of MS dipping their toe into every damn business are long over.

I don't know what any of this means for Xbox. Nobody does outside of MS HQ. But you're crazy if you think that the sales spike and attention that came from focusing on the Wii market will have no affect on MS' previous, hardcore-focused sales pitch. I mean, did you watch the E3 presentation last year? It was like 70% Kinect, 30% Reach/Fable/Gears 3.

And this is to say nothing of the fact that they've cut pretty much all their game studios loose in the past few years.

Linkified said:
The real question is, the potential game Epic is working on for next generation is that 360 exclusive or timed exclusive for microsoft?

I think that was just a tech demo for their new engine...

although I loved the Blade Runner-like art style, so a game could be awesome.

I really hope this is true! it was a good gen but its time to move forward and reach for no texture loading and steady framerates!

V_Ben

Banned
get2sammyb said:
There's no way Sony say anything about PlayStation 4 as far as I'm concerned. 0% chance.

Come to think of it, a separate event like the NGP one would make more sense. Unveil it in early 2012, launch 2013.

(Or tease it at TGS, but that's pretty unlikely.)

alphaNoid

Banned
madara said:
I suppose there is an overwhelming chance I will not need this console. Clearly most 360 users are afraid of color or stylish art and iconic graphics. The few titles Microsoft did push early on have long since dried up and disappeared for this fps system. Guess I cant expect much change on that front.
Never heard/seen XBLA?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Krev said:
I really doubt that. That would be one hell of an expensive console in 2012.

I agree, I think some people are getting a bit carried away in terms of how capable the next gen HD systems will be, personally I think next gen will be like upgrading a PC, higher resolution, hopefully more stable frame rates, and more effects in games.

Walshicus

diffusionx said:
MS has sunk billions into the hardcore market the past near decade and all they have to show for it is another also-ran console and an RROD fiasco.
The biggest online gaming service, the massive success of Kinect, a secure position in consumer's living rooms... yeah.

MYE

alphaNoid said:
I would shit my pants if MS announces full standardized keyboard & mouse + controller support for all games and that developers have to meet that standard (just like everything else MS standardizes for all titles).

THAT ... that would be a megaton.

wh....why?
Play on a PC

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I could see Assassin's Creed 3 as a launch title. That would explain why Ubi put out Brotherhood and now a new game this fall to tide us over and allow them to develop for the new system.

MYE said:
wh....why?
Play on a PC

I get the PC argument.. BUT I prefer playing on the couch with friends on live in a closed system that tracks achievements and chat and everything.

I really don't want to spend the cash to build a PC and get a monitor.

that's just me.

PC = WORK
Console = Games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Arnie said:
Hope said developer is DICE or the Fifa team.

It's think it's Respawn though.
Respawn is actually an independent entity, so it has to be one of their internal teams unless the person just really messed up the phrasing.

I'm guessing one of the sports teams though since they all share technology and all really need to be there for launch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dedication Through Light said:
PS3 had a great run, but loses ground every year

PS3 has been growing every year... :p

A PS4 that comes a year later will compete fine for new purchases I think - if it's priced right. That's the key, assuming the rest of the offering is in place.

I personally would prefer some variety in the systems rather than three technological identikits coming at the same time. Although I suppose it is arguable how different each system can be if they all come within a year of each other either, but we'll see...

Do people not think Microsoft would wait and see what the Nintendo platform is before moving?

I think Sony and Microsoft will be watching Nintendo like a hawk before they announce anything. I could maybe see Microsoft hinting, claiming a date, or even launching a logo/project name. But I think they will want to wait and see what Nintendo do before they make any final decisions.

Obviously Sony and Microsoft are both actively working on systems though.

Interfectum

madara said:

My sources can confirm that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Dabanton

madara said:

And what consoles do you have?

Seda said:
-Eurogamer understands that an E3 2011 reveal for Microsoft's next Xbox is highly unlikely.

I doubt they would show anything since the case probably isn't even finished but I could see them teasing something at E3 just to spite Nintendo, if a new xbox is closer then 2014 then I might think twice about getting whatever Nintendo has to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom