• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop Rumor: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seda said:
Eurogamer chimes in.

-Eurogamer understands that an E3 2011 reveal for Microsoft's next Xbox is highly unlikely.
Yeah, that's the one part of this I'm least inclined to believe.

An E3 reveal that is, especially with prototype dev kits only out for a month.

Krev said:
I really doubt that. That would be one hell of an expensive console in 2012.

A) don't look at retail prices
B) the GPU setup was 2 or 3 GeForce 580s I believe? I'd expect the high end next gen version of the GeForce line (690?) to be able to handle that-- and the manufacturing costs for that would be FAR less than the retail cost. Maybe it would be at a 680 level. But I don't think it would be anything less than that. Epic set that target for a reason.

ollin

We all know what happened when Microsoft tried to do a rush job on the 360 trying to meet the holiday release date. Let's only hope Microsoft won't make the same mistakes.

Natal was revealled 18 months before launch. 360? 6 months. Hard to guess what they'd do, but with Sony & Nintendo showing off new hardware it might be wise to do the same. I mean, nobody wants to see a repeat of last year's E3 right? Yeah, ok Kinect fans, I know you do.

FrankT

Seda said:
Eurogamer chimes in.

-Eurogamer understands that an E3 2011 reveal for Microsoft's next Xbox is highly unlikely.

I would say that is a good bet. Though I think this lends a good deal weight to a potential fall 2012 launch. However, these things would need to be in the hands of many more developers very soon if they are going for that target.

Edit: EA no comment. Haha. In the bag.

RedStep

madara said:
I suppose there is an overwhelming chance I will not need this console. Clearly most 360 users are afraid of color or stylish art and iconic graphics. The few titles Microsoft did push early on have long since dried up and disappeared for this fps system. Guess I cant expect much change on that front.

Your ignorance is so strong, it sounds like you haven't even played the damn thing. What does "iconic graphics" even mean? Do you mean icon-like, as in iOS games? You can't even make graphics iconic. That's not a real thing.

Kafel

Banned
Since the 360 is so rich of its XBO, XBLA, Indie, Gameroom and of course 360 retail games the only thing that matters to me is that everything is backwards compatible.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
PS3 has been growing every year... :p

A PS4 that comes a year later will compete fine for new purchases I think - if it's priced right. That's the key, assuming the rest of the offering is in place.

I personally would prefer some variety in the systems rather than three technological identikits coming at the same time. Although I suppose it is arguable how different each system can be if they all come within a year of each other either, but we'll see...
The existing third party model is based around a number of technological identikits co-existing in the market, though.

RedStep said:
Your ignorance is so strong, it sounds like you haven't even played the damn thing. What does "iconic graphics" even mean? Do you mean icon-like, as in iOS games? You can't even make graphics iconic. That's not a real thing.

He probably means Mario. (Agree that it was a duuuumb post, though.)

Mindlog

Yeah this sounds like the Microsoft Newton reveal.

Nintendo Will announce Wii2 Motion++ hours before Microsoft's conference.

Jokergrin

20080724-i_4442.jpg

My body, etc etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Smiles and Cries said:
Impossible they will want to say something at E3 just to rain on Nintendo
If we do hear anything, I suspect it will be them saying a few words to the effect of "Keep your eyes on the future!".

diffusionx

Gold Member
infinityBCRT said:
A) don't look at retail prices
B) the GPU setup was 2 or 3 GeForce 580s I believe? I'd expect the high end next gen version of the GeForce line (690?) to be able to handle that-- and the manufacturing costs for that would be FAR less than the retail cost. Maybe it would be at a 680 level. But I don't think it would be anything less than that. Epic set that target for a reason.

FAR less but still a lot. I mean, let's say it is a $400 card. We're still talking at least a couple hundred bucks. And that's just one part.

But the real reason why it won't happen... these cards generate tons of HEAT and use tons of POWER. MS needs a card which is efficient and, especially, very reliable. That means an older generation of tech, using new manufacturing methods (probably 22nm by the time the system comes out).

Seda

Deadstar said:
Is it safe to assume that all my dlc will carry over?

My guess is that on MS's new console, you will be able to transfer your Gamertag and data, or at least re-download certain things already purchased. It would be stupid otherwise.

FrankT

Seda said:
My guess is that on MS's new console, you will be able to transfer your Gamertag and data, or at least re-download certain things already purchased. It would be stupid otherwise.

It better allow for full transfer and BC or fail.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Deadstar said:
Is it safe to assume that all my dlc will carry over?

This is the big question, what with DLC being very prevalent this gen I feel that backwards compatibility is more important than ever and could determine the success or failure of a next gen system.

Basically when I purchase an xbox 720, I just want it to be a simple case of importing my profile and downloading all my previously purchased content, if this is not the case I won't be a happy bunny.

JaseC

Seda said:

While Sony will announce that user data had to be discarded due to the security breach. :p

Sydle

diffusionx said:
MS has sunk billions into the hardcore market the past near decade and all they have to show for it is another also-ran console and an RROD fiasco. Windows/Office *still* make up 85% of MS' revenue.

Meanwhile, Ballmer and the top brass are refocusing on Windows in the form of the ARM port. Windows Everywhere is what they are calling it. I would say that the days of MS dipping their toe into every damn business are long over.

I don't know what any of this means for Xbox. Nobody does outside of MS HQ. But you're crazy if you think that the sales spike and attention that came from focusing on the Wii market will have no affect on MS' previous, hardcore-focused sales pitch. I mean, did you watch the E3 presentation last year? It was like 70% Kinect, 30% Reach/Fable/Gears 3.

And this is to say nothing of the fact that they've cut pretty much all their game studios loose in the past few years.

The hardcore market brings in more revenue with games like CoD, Halo, and Gears that they won't give up. There's a reason they keep heavily investing in things like 343 Industries, Firebird Studios (tech/graphic enablement studio), and put massive marketing muscle behind Gears. They're not going to let up on the hardcore market.

They didn't cut all of their game studios loose, or even close.

Microsoft is not dipping their toes in the video game market, they've been fully immersed for the last decade now. They're not going anywhere. Not when they have accomplished getting LIVE annual revenue above 1 billion (who do you think is buying all that stuff, the casuals? please), not when they've garnered as much developer support as both major competitors, not when LIVE memberships have tripled, not when they just launched the fastest selling consumer device ever, not when the Xbox is having its best sales 6 years after launch, not when Microsoft just built a huge, brand new campus for the E&D division, etc. They're clearly growing and expanding the Xbox business.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Krev said:
The existing third party model is based around a number of technological identikits co-existing in the market, though.

More code/asset portability than total identikit-ness though...like, I wouldn't mind a 2012 machine and a 2013 machine or a 2013 machine and 2014 machine. It gives a little more scope for differentiation, even if it's relatively mild (and doesn't hamper third party platform agnosticism).

TwIsTeD

In all honesty the assets from this gen are just downscaled due to the hardware in the boxes anyway so I dont see this great increase in cost ... If anything this will just bring consoles up to a full 1080p 3D era with blu-ray support

Hell the 360 is great as is, maybe Microsoft should unlock that faster chip in the Slim models

Nirolak said:
If we do hear anything, I suspect it will be them saying a few words to the effect of "Keep your eyes on the future!".

This is honestly all I can see them saying... if they have nothing physical to show (even prototype console hardware - something for people visually cling to), then it just doesn't seem worthwhile to elaborate at this point.

onken

No way they could be ready for an E3 reveal. Teaser near the end of the year, full reveal E3 2012, out late/early 2013 depending on how the competition is doing.

Nirolak said:
you really think MS will play this conservative?

Even if they only showed a logo the mystery would be enough hype for its core-base to sting Nintendo's run away media party

JaseC

michaeltraps said:
This is honestly all I can see them saying... if they have nothing physical to show (even prototype console hardware - something for people visually cling to), then it just doesn't seem worthwhile to elaborate at this point.

A Ridge Racer technical demo is all I desire.

diffusionx said:
FAR less but still a lot. I mean, let's say it is a $400 card. We're still talking at least a couple hundred bucks. And that's just one part.

But the real reason why it won't happen... these cards generate tons of HEAT and use tons of POWER. MS needs a card which is efficient and, especially, very reliable. That means an older generation of tech, using new manufacturing methods (probably 22nm by the time the system comes out).
The RRoD crap happened because the EU banned lead-based solder and MS/ATI just didn't do enough testing with the new solder. A lot of PC GPUs during that era also had major issues. While they definitely should be cautious I don't think they will sacrifice graphics. They need to be aggressive because if they aren't, theres the possibility that Sony will "Dreamcast" them if Sony comes to the market later with more powerful hardware.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure about anyone else, but the last thing I really want to hear is anything from Microsoft that imply they are rushing.

lowrider007 said:
I agree, I think some people are getting a bit carried away in terms of how capable the next gen HD systems will be, personally I think next gen will be like upgrading a PC, higher resolution, hopefully more stable frame rates, and more effects in games.
Upgrading a 7 year old pc does a lot more than add a few more frames.

I upgraded my pc from 2003 in 2008 and fps in source games went up ten fold.
That's going from a high end 1000+dollar pc to a 500 dollar mid range build too.

But yeah , next gen will have to be a lot more powerful to begin with just to make up for the low framerates , resolutions and settings of current console games.

Deadstar

Neuromancer said:
I will assume no such thing, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

I've spent a LOT of money on Rock Band and other things. It would be very strange if that stuff didn't follow my gamer tag onto a new system. When I upgrade my computer I don't throw out all my old computer games. Especially not with Steam games.

alphaNoid

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
I doubt they would show anything since the case probably isn't even finished but I could see them teasing something at E3 just to spite Nintendo, if a new xbox is closer then 2014 then I might think twice about getting whatever Nintendo has to show.
Nobody said MS has to 'show' anything. All they have to do is show a logo and announce the successor. No specs, no pictures.. just a logo and an announcement would send people crazy.

Atomski

Kafel said:
Since the 360 is so rich of its XBO, XBLA, Indie, Gameroom and of course 360 retail games the only thing that matters to me is that everything is backwards compatible.
I bet it will be. Those games should still sell fine on a next gen console. It would be great for MS to have a big online catalog for when they launch their next console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom