• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers that have never made a "bad game"

For people saying Kojima productions, I'd play Devils advocate and say Snake Eater 3D. They did the port themselves and it's pretty bad.

D-e-f-

Banned
Jesus does GAF love Platinum games. I don't get the hype, tried to get into Vanquish and couldn't.

They make awesome games but they make very specific games, not designed to appeal to everyone.

You mostly have to be a mechanics-nut.

For people saying Kojima productions, I'd play Devils advocate and say Snake Eater 3D. They did the port themselves and it's pretty bad.

That doesn't make it a bad game, that makes it a bad or disappointing port. The game underneath it is still MGS3 which was amazing.

SpokkX

Retro and EAD Tokyo (probably best answers since every game they made is top tier)
Naughty dog (well at least for the last 10 years)
Platinum (madworld and anarchy are not bad )

elhav

1000w

and
retro-studios-logo.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
Games I found bad by EAD.

Mario Kart Double Dash - Extremely poor item balance and the handling is sluggish and heavy. Not saying I didn't enjoy some of it, but it's pretty bad for what it is.

Super Mario 64 DS - Yoshi controls awfully, and separating Mario 64 into separate characters with the powers split into said characters that have poor handling and distribution mechanically just kind of defeated the purpose of the original game with doing the exact opposite of what made the original fun. Freedom.

Zelda Spirit Tracks - Phantom Hourglass is fine, but this game overall is just mediocre. The train mechanic is very tedious and counter intuitive.

I agree with everyone who said Retro. 4 fantastic titles.

Naughty Dog also made Rings of Power, which was apparently not well received.

Deservedly so. The game was awful, just like Way of the Warrior. They have come a long, long way.

Sony Worldwide Studios

Bollocks.

Yeah, I'll say Naughty Dog.

Even their weakest game - Uncharted 3 - is better than most AAA games this generation.

You have never played Way of the Warrior and Rings of Power.

That doesn't make it a bad game, that makes it a bad or disappointing port. The game underneath it is still MGS3 which was amazing.

like I said, just playing Devils Advocate, but SE3D is a bad game made by KP. They also put their label on Castlevania LOS, but despite gafs hate for it I like that game...so it doesn't count as a bad game :p

I am inclined to think that people who say Naughty Dog probably must have started gaming in the last generation, or at least knew them because of Crash.

Learn your gaming history, people. As has been mentioned countless times in this thread, Way of the Warrior.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Rockstar Games, not a single bad game.
Team Silent until SH Homecoming, Shattered Memories and Downpour happened. The Room was ok though.
Kojima Productions, except for MGS Peace Walker which is absolute garbage.
GSC Gameworld.

Ultimadrago

Zelda Spirit Tracks- Phantom Hourglass is fine, but this game overall is just mediocre. The train mechanic is very tedious and counter intuitive.

Needs the additional "Phantom Hourglass as a game overall is mediocre. The sailing mechanic is tedious and counter-intuitive (along with Temple of the Ocean King)."

Unfair to leave one out when both of those DS Zeldas are bad together!

Edit: They also have Mario Kart Wii to add on the "Bad games" list!

But Jak 2 wasn't.

And it's not a bad game. People need to be able to separate "I personally didn't like this" from genuinely bad games. That's why all these "bad game" threads always go to shit. People want to inject games that they personally didn't like into them instead of just sticking to games that are undeniably bad.

Turn 10 is also a good choice, but with only 4 games in the same franchise is kinda unfair to the rest, I think.

Also, what the fuck at some answers. I love some studios as much as the next guy, but almost 95% had made a huge mistake.

At least Rings of Power had bewbs.

That's why we can forgive Naughty Dog for that game.

Mario Kart Double Dash - Extremely poor item balance and the handling is sluggish and heavy. Not saying I didn't enjoy some of it, but it's pretty bad for what it is.

Super Mario 64 DS - Yoshi controls awfully, and separating Mario 64 into separate characters with the powers split into said characters that have poor handling and distribution mechanically just kind of defeated the purpose of the original game with doing the exact opposite of what made the original fun. Freedom.

Zelda Spirit Tracks - Phantom Hourglass is fine, but this game overall is just mediocre. The train mechanic is very tedious and counter intuitive.

Oh wow, really? I find it one of the better Mario Kart games tbh. A lot better than Mario Kart Wii.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
It all depends on individual tastes doesn't it. I don't like sim racers but I wouldn't say there had ever been a bad game of Forza or GT.

Tain

When it comes to Platinum, I'd say MadWorld is mediocre. 2/5. Not "unplayable" but not something I can recommend. Anarchy Reigns is a very good game, though, and shouldn't be brought up in this thread.

I'd like to say Cave, but I can't vouch for their oddball games.

Silky

Banned
People just IGNORING Way of the Warrior.

Hmm...Valve, Bungie, Arc System Works (Overture and the DS game were fine.), Smilebit/Yakuza Team, Treyarch, and...the Dragon Quest team?

Kokonoe

Banned
Needs the additional "Phantom Hourglass as a game overall is mediocre. The sailing mechanic is tedious and counter-intuitive (along with Temple of the Ocean King)."

Unfair to leave one out when both of those DS Zeldas are bad together!

Edit: They also have Mario Kart Wii to add!

I actually found Phantom Hourglass passable enough that it's not quite a bad game it's just not spectacular either. I didn't mind the sailing myself. What I did hate were the shadow dungeons or whatever and some of the things like closing your DS to stamp something without the game telling you what to do. However, I think it's an okay game. I had fun.

Going to mention Mario Kart below.

Oh wow, really? I find it one of the better Mario Kart games tbh. A lot better than Mario Kart Wii.

I wrote this a bit back.

Maneuverability

In Double Dash you have less maneuverability which makes it more difficult to dodge incoming threats. If you dodge a threat, due to the lack of decent maneuverability, you either get knocked down a place or are susceptible to another threat due to this and the next two subjects.
Large hazards

The hazards in this game are pretty big, and the hitboxes for these things (and the kart) are a bit much.​

Specials and Craziness

There's a certain point in most levels where there are gigantic Bowser shells, Mario spread fireballs, Baby Chain Chomps, etc going around all over the place causing utter chaos. Mario Kart and chaos isn't new, but this particular title is at the extreme of it.​

Karts are sluggish and heavy

When I say sluggish and heavy I don't mean the Kart is slow, I'm referring to the fact that it takes a bit more time to pick up speed in this game due to the weight and acceleration compared to other Mario Kart games.​

Blue Shell is unforgiving

Now this has been the case ever since Double Dash with Mario Karts, although it's much worse in this game due to the issues I've stated above. If for some reason you manage to dodge your way out of chaos, this will be here to ensure you lose.
I've had three Blue Shells hit me in one race on many occasions in this game.​

It's fun, but it has a lot of questionable design choices and I suppose the more you delve into it and play it, I guess the more you find to dislike about it.
I'd say it's best played for casual play and not trying to defeat 150cc Mirror mode.

Although, yeah. Mario Kart Wii has extremely poor item balance as well. Luckily the best Mario Kart, Mario Kart DS, was made.

Plus most of the MGS series isn't very good. Too gabby, and shaky controls.

I have a feeling Supergiant can park their ass on this list for awhile though.

I think all the Uncharted games are terrible anyway. I am sure I am not alone.

It's ok for you to think that. Not everyone can agree with the same things. In my book, Crash Bandicoot is their magnum opus.

Lame excuse ;)

What in the dicktwat are you talking about. There's no such thing as a studio with a perfect trackrecord. They make mistakes and they learn from them. I don't see as a negative when their first game is badly done. That gives them the chance to learn a lot about what to do for their next projects. Some studios are just untalented and probably will never make a great game (Spark, for example) but the rest? I want the rest to learn.

So please, with all due respect, take the dog out of your naughty ass trying to defend your fanboy fetishism.

Top Bottom