• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 2: This isn't SO BAD !!!!!

ourumov

I got it last week for 30€...Actually I was waiting it to drop to that price so as soon as I had news of it dropping I went for it.

Well, I have done 6-7 missions and I have already realized that DMC was better but DMC 2 isn't so bad as some claim. The bad system is one thing but the awesome level design compensates it. I think they did a great job in terms of level design. I mean, there is a lot of varied locations and this time they mix the gotic appearance with the look of the big metropolis (actually I feel like in Neo-Tokyo 3 after an Angel Attack).
The music is pretty meh...I found the DMC 1 much more greater although there are certain tracks I really like.

Anyways, IMO the worst of all is the changed system...You feel uncomfortable...I am always trying to do my DMC1 combos and can finish them because of the changed abilities. THIS SUCKS. Another thing that unbalances the game is the fact that you are already very powerful on the beginning but that's another matter.

Graphically there is a noticeable difference, specially in the PAL game. Why ? oh well, I suppose you never played DMC Home Cinema version that CAPCOM sold on Europe. It had horrible blackborders and low speed that ruined the whole experience. But the graphics have been improved. The textures used are deffinitelly better and so are the effects used by some enemies. I think that it's a bit weird but it seems to me like if they had changed Dante's 3D model....

Well, you know, I think that so far the game is not so bad as some claimed...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I paid $8 for it and I know I felt disappointed.

cvxfreak

I bought it in January 2003, sold it in February 2003, repurchased it in April 2004 and sold it again in June 2004. I HATE this game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm not sure when, but ultimately I will get it just to have the whole trilogy. We'll see how it goes.

ourumov

That's just what I mean. If DMC 2 had been the first game and it had sold the same (DMC 2 numbers), then it would be an underrated game....
But since it is the sequel to DMC and it was an awesome game then it gets slapped.

I think it's not fair to judge 2n parts according prequels...

Insertia

DMC2 isn't that bad. Maybe it's because I haven't played DMC1 so far and don't know how it stacks up to it, but DMC2 is a straight forward, blow-shit up action game. And the graphics aren't half as bad as the screens led me to believe.

I'd give it a 7.9/10

ourumov

Oh thanks for the correction. You know English is not my language.

:)

So it's THAT instead of SO...Curious. *Takes note*.

Fifty

You pay 30 Euros for a game and you find the best in it. Someone else pays 8 USD for it and feels let down. Heh. You guys sure get shafted with prices over there. :(

Insertia

ourumov said:
Oh thanks for the correction. You know English is not my language.

:)

So it's THAT instead of SO...Curious. *Takes note*.

i wasn't correcting you, didn't even notice an error in your post (not like i'm a grammer whore anyway)

"that" is just my way of placing emphasis on the word. :)

SaitoH

I thought the model for Dante looked better, but everything else looked worse. The levels were just big and not particularily interesting and the biggest mistake of all was making the guns too powerful. You could just stand back and blast everything and that really changed the way DMC2 played compared to the first one. I almost forgot, there was no ifrit gauntlets (or equivalent) the second game too!

DMC2 isn't bad, but the first game was great. Therefore the sequel was a big disappointment.

^w^

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ourumov said:
That's just what I mean. If DMC 2 had been the first game and it had sold the same (DMC 2 numbers), then it would be an underrated game....
But since it is the sequel to DMC and it was an awesome game then it gets slapped.

Well they need to be compared to something if they carry the name and have the same character. I mean Capcom is selling a game based on the success of the last one, so why isn't fair to compare? If it was a new franchise with new characters and so forth then I would understand that thinking. But since Capcom is using a name to sell more copies then it should be fair game to say "Hey this isn't as good as the last one!"

Insertia said:
(not like i'm a grammer whore anyway)

Yeah, grammar whores suck... (sorry the English teacher in me couldn't help it :p )

As a game it's just ok or maybe just a little less than 'ok'.

But where the first one was fantastic in every artistic aspect almost all of the time, this one is absolutely horrible in every artistic aspect almost all of the time (music, acting, dialogue, story, general art direction, etc...)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Don't kid yourself, this game is pretty bad. To show you how bad, I defeated a boss in the middle of the game by equipping a rocket launcher, stood still the entire the time and held the fire button. No joke, I didn't get hit and the boss got killed in seconds. After I killed that boss, I knew the game was going back to the store the next day

ourumov

Was it the Giant ButterFly ???

When this kind of things happen to me I try to attack in a different way...No challenge=no fun.
Yes, I am that kind of person that always wants to be in disavantadge, aka a masochist.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I forgot which boss it was, but the room had this grid on the ground and some electricty would ignite from the floor or whatever. Electricity or fire, I forget

To consider DMC3 to be not bad means you can enjoy mediocre games. Hopefully those who are saying it's not that bad won't feel the need to troll other games they view as mediocre.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I found boss fights in DMC2 to be the biggest letdown. DMC had some awesome boss fights but this just lost it.

nitewulf

ourumov said:

heh, how can you even say such a thing?
if a game is really good, of course it's sequel will be judged on it. if a sequel cant stand up to the prequel, what is point of making one?
i mean, what should DMC2 be judged against, RE0?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DMC2's gameplay is fine... however DMC's dramatic boss battles and dialogue/setup to those battles and tighter story* stomp the shit out of DMC2.

*Not necessarily better or more logical story, just more cut sequences to advance it in better chunks.

Top Bottom