• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 (NEW direct - feed screens up)

TheTrin said:
I see nothing hurting about its look. DMC4 looks ****ing incredible. Period.
Oh agreed, hands down awesome, but I'm talking about the disparity, which I think is pretty noticable, between the screen shots we have and the TGS05 trailer, and trying to theorize what's causing the disparity, that's all.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mefisutoferesu said:
Oh agreed, hands down awesome, but I'm talking about the disparity, which I think is pretty noticable, between the screen shots we have and the TGS05 trailer, and trying to theorize what's causing the disparity, that's all.

Well, considering that the TGS trailer seemed so unrealistic, I always assumed it was just CG for advertising. Did people really think that`s what the game would look like?

ourumov

TheTrin said:
Well, considering that the TGS trailer seemed so unrealistic, I always assumed it was just CG for advertising. Did people really think that`s what the game would look like?
I thought the Jin Kazama demo was how Tekken 6 was gonna be...but well, in DMC something said me that was too much for the game.

Tokubetsu

Capcom may be taking the straight up approach that every other next gen game basically hasn't so far (no shitty blur, no filters, no bloom/hdr etc). Just higher poly models and decent textures. Of course, It could still be pretty early development and they just havent had the time to add this shit because of the TGS demo deadline.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ourumov said:
I thought the Jin Kazama demo was how Tekken 6 was gonna be...but well, in DMC something said me that was too much for the game.

Hahaha, seriously?! Man, you guys are gullible.

Mefisutoferesu said:

Alright, scans are back up, for the 10th time -- goddamit, I'm already sick of DMC -- Too Human here I come!!!

Anyway, the engine Capcom is using is utilized first on 'generic' PC -- the 60% of developement, and then afterwards, the game is utilized for the specific hardware (in DMC4's case, the PS3).

I think this final year in development when Capcom specifies development for the PS3, they'll had in the more fancier things.

Keep in mind however, that things like motion blur can only be seen in video -- so, we'll wait on that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TheTrin said:

Yes!! The producer said so himself.

ourumov

TheTrin said:
Yep...One year ago my expectations for next-gen were a bit...off the galaxy :lol :lol :lol
But as I said current looks (of DMC, Tekken is another matter) are fine for me. I reset my expectations for the next-gent long time ago :p

thetrin

mckmas8808 said:

Aww, that`s so cute. You believe companies when they promise things. :D

mckmas8808 said:

Uh...about that. Yeaah, I was the one who originally did a babel-fish translation on the Capcom Famitsu issue that came out a long time ago (it was the one with the Tom Cruise looking Dante) and that part didn't come out right.

I honestly believe he never really meant that, and I say that because the GAF rumor originated from me -- *whistles and walks away*

PS: Seriously, do you guys even remember the link to where that was said - I wrote that at the time when I thought the E3 hype-a-trailers were real, so I just took the shitty translation into my own literal meaning.

My bad.

Kangu

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Alright, scans are back up, for the 10th time -- goddamit, I'm already sick of DMC -- Too Human here I come!!!

Anyway, the engine Capcom is using is utilized first on 'generic' PC -- the 60% of developement, and then afterwards, the game is utilized for the specific hardware (in DMC4's case, the PS3).

I think this final year in development when Capcom specifies development for the PS3, they'll had in the more fancier things.

Keep in mind however, that things like motion blur can only be seen in video -- so, we'll wait on that.

your love for dmc is an inspiration to us all. :)

anyway, i hope you're right. the game does very much seem like all it has going for it graphicaly is higher res textures and higher poly characters; no bump mapping, hdr, self shadowing, dynamic lighting, paralax mapping and all that sweet stuff. not that any of it will matter if the game is a proper evolution of dmc3.

thetrin

I`ll take 60fps over periphery effects I won`t notice after the first 10 minutes of playing.

C- Warrior said:
I think Gek might have a thing or two to say about that. ;)
But, yeah, it's definately a wait and see.

TheTrin said:
Heh, kinda. I kept going back and forth. Nah, it's too good to be realtime, but wait the cobblestone path looks like a normal map, but the no polys, but you can see some on the gun barrels, but the shadows are too clean, but the bullet casings don't have shadows at all. Over and over... so yeah, kinda. :\

Tokubetsu

Thinking about it, do people really accept all that blur and bloom shit as next gen? I always felt it was something last gen games should have been doing more to fake/hide the things they could/could not do. This is next gen, I should be able to have a draw distance that spans an entire level, not some friggin depth of field bullshit. I also don't want to be blinded when my camera tilts up.

Tokubetsu said:
Thinking about it, do people really accept all that blur and bloom shit as next gen? I always felt it was something last gen games should have been doing more to fake/hide the things they could/could not do. This is next gen, I should be able to have a draw distance that spans an entire level, not some friggin depth of field bullshit. I also don't want to be blinded when my camera tilts up.

Yeah, DMC4 has a very crisp and clean look.

Which is weird because DMC1 had more this darker, nitty gritty look to it -- I always thought DMC4 would follow suit to that.

But the game is in pure daylight, very bright.

I have a feeling however, that the game is 50% outdoors (daylight) 50% in-castle, dark and gloomy and shit, nice contrast would be great, and Capcom's artist have experience doing both styles.

thetrin

C- Warrior said:
Yeah, DMC4 has a very crisp and clean look.

Which is weird because DMC1 had more this darker, nitty gritty look to it -- I always thought DMC4 would follow suit to that.

But the game is in pure daylight, very bright.

I have a feeling however, that the game is 50% outdoors (daylight) 50% in-castle, dark and gloomy and shit, nice contrast would be great, and Capcom's artist have experience doing both styles.

I really like the idea of daylight and sun beams. It does a good job of further distancing the series from the generic rage art style found in so many games.

Motion blur is something that was always a step behind for graphics to CG, now we have consoles that can pull off that well, just take a look at Capcom's own Lost Planet, it has that extra polish to it when things move or explodes. Motion blur per object basis. Trying to get that temperal motion blur effect. And having a higher dynamic range lighting is good, lighting makes a big differences separating this gen from last, it's all up to the developer to control how it penetrates the visual spectra.

jett

D-Member
TheTrin said:

Well...to be honest, after seeing what EA had done with Fight Night on the 360, I THOUGHT Namco would be more than capable to best them in the fighting genre...in terms of graphics. Seriously the models in the PS3 version of FN3 look VERY close to the Jin render.

Scamco ftl.

But I digress. DMC4 <3

black_13

Banned
Suweet Creamery Butter!!!!

Pure, 100%, top of the line, sex RIGHT there man!

This game will own beyond bounderies. And the song reminds me of the menu songs in DMC1!

DMC4 will focus more on the storyline than the previous games
I'm actually really surprised and pleased by this! Bring on the true sequal to DMC1!

You can play as Dante. Did anyone else notice this? Or am I going crazy and this is Nero?

004zq9.jpg

Edit: Nevermind. It's just the red trim of Nero's coat on his shoulders and back.

TheTrin said:
I really like the idea of daylight and sun beams. It does a good job of further distancing the series from the generic rage art style found in so many games.

The art style and the tech., a lot of next-gen games are about HDR lighting, DOF, filters and all that new-age stuff, DMC4 seems to be doing the basics (superbly, might I add) -- good ol' polygons and textures. Hopefully they can muscle out some HDR, beef up the lighting for the year in development we have left, keep the framerate at least above 50 and we have a graphical showpiece on our hands.

Nervous Hamster said:
So people can't joke around here, eh?

Sorry then.

No no no, it's not even like that. Problem is, that ****in picture has shown up in nearly every single "graphic discussion' game thread since Silent Hill 3 has been released. It was funny, but it's overdone and annoying now, and I believe even a few mods before have said they don't want to see that shit anymore.

It's like the whole massive damange crab shtick, but 248 x's more annoying.

jett

D-Member
DarknessTear said:
That's not funny and I hope you get banned.

I think it's hilarious. :lol

It's funny because it's true. Technically they are far behind, but the characters are modeled SO WELL it just doesn't matter. I just don't understand what kind of magic tricks the Silent Hill team pulled in SH3, or what sacrifices they offered to Satan.

ram

game looks awesome - hopefully they will fix the camera issues from devil may cry 1 -3 finally.

ram said:
game looks awesome - hopefully they will fix the camera issues from devil may cry 1 -3 finally.

It seems the camera is semi-fixed. (you can't control it, but it pans, zooms and moves depending on enemy placements).

However, the director mentioned after DMC3 was released that he wanted to work on a system where enemies that are off-screen (not in the camera's view) are programmed not to attack you at all. Rather, they assemble in the camera's view for better ease of play, before they attack.

*although I don't know for sure, the game could have a fully rotatable camera for all I know*

MegaTen

Banned
Please, Capcom.. no more stupid "vwooosh" slow motion effects in every cutscene! Also, I don't wan't to have to beat every single enemy senseless in order to kill them.

Baryn

Banned
In terms of photo-realism, it isn't very impressive. It looks like a high-res Xenosaga in that regard. However, the sheer scope of these shots, the action that will surely be insane, and a little thing called 60fps make up for it entirely.

thetrin

Baryn said:
In terms of photo-realism, it isn't very impressive. It looks like a high-res Xenosaga in that regard. However, the sheer scope of these shots, the action that will surely be insane, and a little thing called 60fps make up for it entirely.

Photo realism would ruin DMC. I don`t want all my games to look like real life. If I wanted real life, I`d go to Osaka and stare at people.

Pureauthor said:
Why does Dante look older than he does in DMC2?

Rumor has it that the DMC2 dante isn`t THE dante.

thetrin

MegaTen said:
Please, Capcom.. no more stupid "vwooosh" slow motion effects in every cutscene! Also, I don't wan't to have to beat every single enemy senseless in order to kill them.

So you don`t DMC then. Why are you even in this thread? :p

ram

C- Warrior said:
It seems the camera is semi-fixed. (you can't control it, but it pans, zooms and moves depending on enemy placements).

However, the director mentioned after DMC3 was released that he wanted to work on a system where enemies that are off-screen (not in the camera's view) are programmed not to attack you at all. Rather, they assemble in the camera's view for better ease of play, before they attack.

*although I don't know for sure, the game could have a fully rotatable camera for all I know*

that sounds good to me and with dead rising/lost planet they have proven a good camera system/crontrols.

ram said:
that sounds good to me and with dead rising/lost planet they have proven a good camera system/crontrols.

I don't know though -- I think, coupled with Itsuno's little idea of "enemies off-camera can't attack bit" + auditory telegraphed attacks (if you can't see an enemy attack you, you can certainly hear it) -- I kind of like fixed camera's (i.e, God of War, DMC).

When you're doing so much in DMC4 (if DMC3's combo ssytem is any indication) you don't have time to adjust the camera. Also, when it comes to the environments, fixed camera's that pan and move in rails as you run around makes the environments look absolutely gorgeous, because it allows the developers to catch them at their best views.

thetrin

C- Warrior said:

If they pull it off, they will have managed to fix a problem that has plagued action games for like, 2 generations. NO CHEAP SHOTS OFF SCREEN. Thank god.

Top Bottom