• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Dot50Cal

Banned
C- Warrior said:
The frosts look better on PS3, but Berial looks better on 360.

Looking again you may be right, seems theres no shader applied on 360 at all, coulda swore it appeared when I played it.

PS36.jpg

3606.jpg

These are nice comparison shots DotCal, nice work.

Can you take one at the start of the timer mode. Where you see the shadows coming through the gate (very start) self shadowing. I want to see how the versions do shadows laying on Nero.

McDragon said:
IMO that shiny effect looks cheap.

C'mon, the PS3 version won in something, give it some credit.

Cell is the master of ice. Confirmed, on this day -- 1/24/08.

mrgone

Ouch, no love for the silver memberships. I'm still trying to figure out how removing the ability to download new game demos benefits anyone :(

Visuals are pretty similar. Liking the AA on the 360 shots. That said... it really depends if I could get used to using the 360 bumper or change some of the functions to the trigger.

FFChris

mrgone said:
Ouch, no love for the silver memberships. I'm still trying to figure out how removing the ability to download new game demos benefits anyone :(

It benefits MS, as more people will have to spend money on Gold to play demos.

It sucks.

Dot50Cal

Banned
PS3 looks like 2x AA, 360 4X AA. Though its not applied to some angles, I'm no expert in that matter so you'll have to ask someone who is more technically oriented. Warrior:

PS37.jpg

3607.jpg

FFchris check your PM

I have two free month gold passes, I'll give you one. (don't know if it will work but, it should, a code is a code)

Gets better the more I play it. The move set is deeper than I thought on my first play through.

Instantly skipable cut scenes are to be commended. If I recall correctly in DMC3 those door locking/unlocking cut scenes were non-skippable.

CoLaN

Just a guess, im a noob for technical things.

What if Ps3 applies a little blur, so when you take captures from fast action you may think the textures are sligthly lower res?

Anyway, it look gorgeous on both system (too bad PC isnt out yet)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
:lol Oh GAF..

Enjoying the demo muchly. How far can you go in the 10 minute demo? I don't think I went as far as I could, so I'm curious if I missed much.

Also, there is rumble in the PS3 demo..but of course, you need a rumbly controller. I can't say I notice it much while actually playing though.

PuppetMaster said:
Gets better the more I play it. The move set is deeper than I thought on my first play through.

Instantly skipable cut scenes are to be commended. If I recall correctly in DMC4 those door locking/unlocking cut scenes were non-skippable.

You can skip the "red barrier breaking and appearing" instantly. Via start button.

VaLiancY said:
SO, who's getting stomped out by Berial? I'm going to kill him after I get some rest. I nearly had that fucker.
I had him at a quarter health then I started to get hit like crazy. I really like the Devil Bringer, it adds a lot of options as far as combos go.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This thread will be destroyed when the american demo is released. And the beauty of Devil May Cry 4 will be lost in stupid comparison shots. Fanboys start your engines.

FFChris

C- Warrior said:
FFchris check your PM

I have two free month gold passes, I'll give you one. (don't know if it will work but, it should, a code is a code)

Thanks C-Warrior, but I can't use them at the moment. The problem for me isn't not having a gold account (although I don't) but not being able to get my 360 online due to my Uni blocking all UDP connections.

I'll have the game on day one though.

alba

Little is the new Big
downloading as we speak on jpn psn, seems people are really enjoying it so... I can't wait!

gofreak said:
:lol Oh GAF..

Enjoying the demo muchly. How far can you go in the 10 minute demo? I don't think I went as far as I could, so I'm curious if I missed much.

Also, there is rumble in the PS3 demo..but of course, you need a rumbly controller. I can't say I notice it much while actually playing though.

The 10 minute mode ends when you reach the snow area.

The free-mode (boss fight) mode ends after you finish the boss.

(oddly, they removed the gloria cutscene for the demo)

FFChris said:
Thanks C-Warrior, but I can't use them at the moment. The problem for me isn't not having a gold account (although I don't) but not being able to get my 360 online due to my Uni blocking all UDP connections.

I'll have the game on day one though.

Ouch. UCLA for the win. They're pretty easy going here -- it's also a wet campus. Getting drunk before biochem 2 makes the time fly.

markom58

Neo Member
woah. The 360 version looks ever so slightly better. Color me surprised. Wasn't this a PS3 lead game? Or was it PC? Anywho, good for the 360. With Burnout Paradise, that's 2/2 on excellent ports from PS3 to 360. :D

Just need to try it out on both and see what controller I prefer. Then again...achievements :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
C- Warrior said:

Cheers..is the snow area very far after the custom house? I was sorta taking my time, looking around.. :)

C- Warrior said:

I was fighting frosts in the 10min mode. Didn't get much further though before time ran out.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Downloading now on my 360. Did not see it in the PSN Store. Where is it?

markom58

Neo Member
neojubei said:
This thread will be destroyed when the american demo is released. And the beauty of Devil May Cry 4 will be lost in stupid comparison shots. Fanboys start your engines.

American demo is up. At least on the 360. Havent checked my PS3 yet.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh god, work needs to finish so I can go home and dl this!!

FFChris

C- Warrior said:
Ouch. UCLA for the win. They're pretty easy going here -- it's also a wet campus. Getting drunk before biochem 2 makes the time fly.

Oh it's all good here, just the 500mb limit and no UDP is frustrating! I should probably take your approach to lectures, I'll probably stay awake for longer if I'm drunk.

mrgone

FFChris said:
It benefits MS, as more people will have to spend money on Gold to play demos.

It sucks.

I'd say it has a much better chance of pissing off 3rd parties than coercing anyone to buy a gold membership :/ Silly way to give gold more "value"

Basically, the 10 minute mode overlaps to the boss fight mode if you're fast enough.

So, in others words -- if you're god, you can clear the entire 600 MB of content via 10 minute mode.

But that's difficult.

Mode 1 = 10 minute timer, Fortuna town (ends after you cross bridge - though, as I said above you can keep going as long as time allow for it)

Mode 2 = frost battle, then berial boss battle

chris0701

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Hmm the two versions look very similar except for the ice monsters. I'll probably stick with the PS3 version.

The ice monster fx in PS3 version is really....cheap or ugly,IMO.

However, it exists.

wolforce

Dot50Cal said:
PS3 looks like 2x AA, 360 4X AA. Though its not applied to some angles, I'm no expert in that matter so you'll have to ask someone who is more technically oriented. Warrior:

PS37.jpg

3607.jpg

Here it seems that in the version of the ps3 there is blur or that is in motion while that one of the 360 not.

Why ?

And the ps3 is in full rgb or not ?

Doc Evils

markom58 said:
woah. The 360 version looks ever so slightly better. Color me surprised. Wasn't this a PS3 lead game? Or was it PC? Anywho, good for the 360. With Burnout Paradise, that's 2/2 on excellent ports from PS3 to 360. :D

Just need to try it out on both and see what controller I prefer. Then again...achievements :lol

the framework engine uses PC.

Zzoram

wolforce said:
Here it seems that in the version of the ps3 there is blur or that is in motion while that one of the 360 not.

Why ?

That seemed to happen in a lot of the shots. The PS3 version might be using some kind of blur filter to hide it's extra ailiasing while the 360 is going for a sharper look? Not sure, since both shots are of him standing, it shouldn't be motion blurring.

Zzoram said:
So identical games, but ice monsters on PS3 have an extra shader, and 360 has better AA. Correct?

It seems the 360 does sharper textures and better AA.

While the PS3 -- randomly does aspects better. For example, the ice on the frost enemies look better.

Ultimately, in the end -- this is one multiplatform game where can you say both versions are identical. Small differences be damned.

And when you're trying to survive against Berial -- you're going crazy, he's going crazy, you aren't going to notice the texture detail on the pebble next to the cabins. Sorry, you're just not.

I definitely noticed that the 360 version is better, demo-wise at least. But the stutters I see in the PS3 version have always been present in the early demos, so maybe this is an early build? And like Burnout Paradise the retail version will be optimized? Then again, they've seemed to eliminate the screen tearing from the early demos, so this demo is not that early a build... It's a shame as the DS3 feels so much better suited to this game.

Differences aside it's great to have that trademark DMC stylish beat-em-up feel back again having a lot of fun with it.

Top Bottom