• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Zzoram said:
That seemed to happen in a lot of the shots. The PS3 version might be using some kind of blur filter to hide it's extra ailiasing while the 360 is going for a sharper look? Not sure, since both shots are of him standing, it shouldn't be motion blurring.

I noticed some instances where dithering is present in the PS3's motion blur effect. Gah!

Dahbomb

The comparisons are fucking lame... wake me up when there is an actual difference in those screens worth caring about. The game looks terrible in screens anyway, playing it in motion in HD is where it's at.

"Ice enemies look better on PS3 version" "Sword textures on 360 version look funny" "Textures on 360 version sharper than 360 version".... :lol

Like C-Warrior said, no one is going to give a fuck about comparisons when you are fighting against Berial in the heat of the battle.

karasu

I honestly don't see a difference in those comparison images. Other than that Berial is in a slightly different position in one of them an the ps3 shadows are darker in that Opera house one. @_@ I see nothing that implies either better or worse for either.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Comparison video will be on Gamersyde in about 45 minutes or so, Split down the center. It will be 3 cutscenes (as I cant match gameplay exactly). The "Arm" power skull/orb, Ice Monster appearance and the Fire Demon Beast.

As for demo length, you can make it to the Fire monster if you are fast if you choose the 10 minute timed part. I did. Anyone know if Gloria makes an appearance? It might make me actually attempt to defeat the fire monster :lol

It was basically what I expected a new DMC would be--awesome! Berial was a little too easy though, compared to any of the DMC3 bosses. I hope that was easy mode.

Snah

Banned
Dahbomb said:
The comparisons are fucking lame... wake me up when there is an actual difference in those screens worth caring about. The game looks terrible in screens anyway, playing it in motion in HD is where it's at.

"Ice enemies look better on PS3 version" "Sword textures on 360 version look funny" "Textures on 360 version sharper than 360 version".... :lol

Like C-Warrior said, no one is going to give a fuck about comparisons when you are fighting against Berial in the heat of the battle.

I dunno dude...

I mean, when I'm e-jerking to some of this DMC pr0n, I want that chick's zoomed in vag to have teh highest quality textures (360) and SUPERIOR VAGINE SHADING (PS3), BUT I CANNOT HAVE BOTH!!!! DECISIONS, DECISIONS.

akachan ningen said:
It was basically what I expected a new DMC would be--awesome! Berial was a little too easy though, compared to any of the DMC3 bosses. I hope that was easy mode.

Yeah, DMC4 should be a bit easier than DMC3 it seems (at least on normal).

DMC4 also gives you free checkpoints/continues. Which itself makes thing easier.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dahbomb said:

It shows the fact that people care more about the whole system wars thing than ACTUALLY PLAYING THE DEMO.

Anyway, I liked the DMC3 demo better, took me a few times to beat Cerberus, Berial is pretty easy, not sure how to evade that scream attack though. Overall I found the DMC3 demo had better controls, or maybe I'm just used to having O for air rave and T would be a downward slash while in the air, the minute the enemy dies my R1 perspective would change and my downward slash would turn into a mid-air slash, VERY ANNOYING.

The timer thing is a total fucktard idea, I made it to Berial in the top demo but ran out of time, it's bullshit.

Indifferent2.gif

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the 360 Demo. Beautiful game. The bumper works fine but if I could remap to the trigger for Lock on it would be perfect. Anyone know if we will be able to remap the buttons of the retail version.

fabs115

downloaded and played the 360 demo for a couple minutes before i went to work. seemed fun, the only thing i thought was awkward was the buttons you had to press to teleport on those blue things

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Both versions look great to my eyes.

I'm having an easier time with the PS3 controller,so I'll most likely get that version.

Ephemeris

I loved it ! It looked gorgeous on my SD tv. I saw the screens but seeing it in motion is [obviously] much better. I know it's been said before but this is definitely how I'd imagine a next-gen DMC.

Oh, I f*ckin RAPED Berial on my first try. Awesome Boss Battle though :lol :lol

Dahbomb said:
GUYS .... DO A TAUNT DURING A SPRINT!!!!! :lol

IT'S THE NERO MUTHA FUCKING DROP KICK!!!! :lol

Taunt = Select on the PS3 version.

Haha, I did this too. :D

Downside to the demo?
10 minute timer. But what kind of downside is that? It's a freakin demo :p

Kittonwy said:
It shows the fact that people care more about the whole system wars thing than ACTUALLY PLAYING THE DEMO.

I think you might have misinterpreted this; most of us who do these comparisons only do so because we care about getting the best version of the game. We have both systems, we're as platform agnostic as it gets.

Kittonwy said:

Anyway, I liked the DMC3 demo better, took me a few times to beat Cerberus, Berial is pretty easy, not sure how to evade that scream attack though. Overall I found the DMC3 demo had better controls, or maybe I'm just used to having O for air rave and T would be a downward slash while in the air, the minute the enemy dies my R1 perspective would change and my downward slash would turn into a mid-air slash, VERY ANNOYING.

The timer thing is a total fucktard idea, I made it to Berial in the top demo but ran out of time, it's bullshit.

Indifferent2.gif

The DMC3 demo was a lot more crazier than the DMC4 demo.

I think DMC4 appeals more to those who loved DMC1, but didn't care for much DMC2 or DMC3.

DMC4 has more of a calmer, artistic beauty, yet when the combat explodes it explodes very well.

DMC3, everything was fucking exploding, all the goddamn time, and this didn't appeal to some (the high difficulty level didn't either).

Fans of DMC1 will love DMC4. (based off the demo, naturally)

Fans of DMC3 will enjoy DMC4, I'm sure, but not as much as the DMC1 fans would I don't think.

But then, Dante in DMC4 plays like Dante in DMC3, but with on the fly style switch.

So maybe capcom designed the first half of DMC4 to appeal to DMC1 fans, and the 2nd half to appeal to DMC3 fans. The difficulty ramp up, character change, all point to this aspect.

Ephemeris

C- Warrior said:
Eurogamer on DMC4.

The author seems to be echoing lot of the same similar love GAFFers have in this thread.

"She's made of Japanese gelatinous lady-physics (you know the kind of hyper-elastic bounce I'm talking about) and - I swear to God - there's a Matrix slow-motion shot up the cleft of her exposed arse. I mean seriously boys, there's exploitative attitudes towards women and there's... yeah. Upskirt bullet-time bum zooms."

:lol :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
C- Warrior said:
The DMC3 demo was a lot more crazier than the DMC4 demo.

I think DMC4 appeals more to those who loved DMC1, but didn't care for much DMC2 or DMC3.

DMC4 has more of a calmer, artistic beauty, yet when the combat explodes it explodes very well.

DMC3, everything was fucking exploding, all the goddamn time, and this didn't appeal to some (the high difficulty level didn't either).

Fans of DMC1 will love DMC4. (based off the demo, naturally)

Fans of DMC3 will enjoy DMC4, I'm sure, but not as much as the DMC1 fans would I don't think.

But then, Dante in DMC4 plays like Dante in DMC3, but with on the fly style switch.

So maybe capcom designed the first half of DMC4 to appeal to DMC1 fans, and the 2nd half to appeal to DMC3 fans. The difficulty ramp up, character change, all point to this aspect.

Did you do a census on DMC fans in general or something?

I didn't think there was a distinction between DMC1 fans and DMC3 fans (what kind of fucking DMC fan wouldn't love both?), except DMC3 had more depth.

I don't think it would make sense to dial Dante's moveset back to DMC1, which would be a step back.

I just think Nero's moveset is bit clunky, which really has nothing to do with appealing to "DMC1 fans".

Indifferent2.gif

Tieno said:
You mean for 360? Just get it from marketlace. It's up on Euro and US too. I got it from Euro marketplace.

you should also get a free month trial for gold when you sign up for a new account.

Kittonwy said:
Did you do a census on DMC fans in general or something?

I didn't think there was a distinction between DMC1 fans and DMC3 fans (what kind of fucking DMC fan wouldn't love both?), except DMC3 had more depth.

I don't think it would make sense to dial Dante's moveset back to DMC1, which would be a step back.G]

I don't. I loved, loved loved DMC3, but I wasn't a big fan of DMC1.

Kittonwy said:
I just think Nero's moveset is bit clunky, which really has nothing to do with appealing to "DMC1 fans".

Indifferent2.gif

EvilTaru?

Nero is more simpler to control. His mechanics are more straight foward. He can do this, he can do that, he can grab, he can throw. It's a lot more approachable.

Dante -- with all the shit he can do is very intimidating for new comers. That's probably why by the time you switch to Dante in the retail version, you'll be ready to play as him.

DMC3 just started you off with shit loads of enemies and a character that has more combat possibilities than a Virtua Fighter character.

I don't know, the demo of DMC4 seemed a lot more paced like DMC1. That's all I'm saying.

dralla

damnit, I can't decide which version to buy, both have strengths and weakness', and the demo only made it harder :[

anyway, how does the instant-rev work? can you only do it after certain sword slashes? any word on how much more damage it causes?

GrayFoxPL

"This DMC4 trail version.

Note that this is work in progress version and may have minor bugs."

I'm qouting from memory, but this is the splash screen from hk version (all english).

You know... the bumper thing was uncomfortable as hell until I shifted my hand up the controller a little. Just have to hold the controller slightly differently to how I normally do.

Kittonwy

Banned
C- Warrior said:
EvilTaru?

Nero is more simpler to control. His mechanics are more straight foward. He can do this, he can do that, he can grab, he can throw. It's a lot more approachable.

Dante -- with all the shit he can do is very intimidating for new comers. That's probably why by the time you switch to Dante in the retail version, you'll be ready to play as him.

DMC3 just started you off with shit loads of enemies and a character that has more combat possibilities than a Virtua Fighter character.

I don't know, the demo of DMC4 seemed a lot more paced like DMC1. That's all I'm saying.

WTF is an EvilTaru?
Indifferent2.gif

The problem with the downward slash is that the moment your enemy dies, your lock-on switches, which means if you're just about to do a downward slash to get back down, it turns into an air-rave (I would almost turn the two around and have air rave being R1+T and downward slash being T because if you want to stay in the air awhile longer you can always fire your gun, if you want to get down in a hurry and you lose that lock-on it's a bit of a pain while T would make it so much easier), the whole snatch/grab range limit thing, the forward dash slash move (no I haven't learned the names yet) vs. stinger (which I think might have a longer range), minor annoyances which I noticed.

dralla said:
damnit, I can't decide which version to buy, both have strengths and weakness', and the demo only made it harder :[

anyway, how does the instant-rev work? can you only do it after certain sword slashes? any word on how much more damage it causes?

Because the damn demo is timed -- I haven't thought about doing damage points yet. I'm sure somebody on g-faqs or ign will do it by tomorrow afternoon though.

Instant-rev (aka Just-Rev) Allows you to instantly load up rev-bar (there are 3 bars in the demo). Each bar constitutes one slash, or one special move.

While revved up, R1 + Foward + /\ goes from a simple lungle to a fire-based, 360 attack that you can actually charge up. Ditto for R1 + Back + /\

Just-Rev, works in that you can stream into things:

for example, slash once, tap L2 during the middle of the slash animation, and then lead straight into a suped up streak or high roller. (those R1+foward+/\ esque based moves)

You can also just-rev during the 3 hit air combo.

advanced set up combo

/\ = triangle = one sword slash

/\, (just-rev), R1+Back+/\, (you should now be airborne) , /\, (just-rev), R1+Foward+/\

Yes, even the regular helm breaker (air chop down attack) can be revved up to another move. Nero says "hell yeah" when he does it.

Synless

This demo build is from the TGS right??? If so I think some of you need to realize that this demo is from september and NOT the finished build, so save your comparisons for the final game.

Having only completed DMC1 in it's hay day on the PS2 and not playing any of the other since, I was very impressed. It brings back that nostalgia of playing this for the first time on the PS2. The graphics are very smooth and I am liking the control scheme a lot. I obviously suck with my juggles now but it won't be hard to get back into the rhythm.

When I first started it up and it was on the Executioner logo I was like damn, these load times do suck. But then I pressed the A button. :lol

striKeVillain! said:
Having only completed DMC1 in it's hay day on the PS2 and not playing any of the other since, I was very impressed. It brings back that nostalgia of playing this for the first time on the PS2. The graphics are very smooth and I am liking the control scheme a lot. I obviously suck with my juggles now but it won't be hard to get back into the rhythm.

When I first started it up and it was on the Executioner logo I was like damn, these load times do suck. But then I pressed the A button. :lol

Try the boss fight mode next -- if you haven't played in a DMC game in that long -- he'll likely whoop your ass :)

Xater

Just palyed the demo. This game is AWESOME! Now it will be even harder to wait for February 8th :(

And it looks incredible. I don't know what it is but the PS3 version seems to look worse on those captures at times (blur).

I am so glad I pre-ordered the SE.:D

Top Bottom