• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 for PS4 is slightly more censored than on Xbox One and PC, but only in the West

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah it must be a joke by Capcom at Sony's expense, after all SF5 is console exclusive to PS4 so they best friends forever.
Take that you filthy PC/Xbot peasants! Dude please don't get any crazier than you've just displayed, blind loyalty gets you nothing.

Grow up. I noted some inconsistencies with what's currently understood about Sony's stance on censorship, this specific implementation in terms of timing and on which sku's its been applied to, and just speculated it was a cheeky dig at Sony's policy.

How's that fanboyism or a slight to owners of other platforms?

The only fanboy here is you.

Breakage

The PS4 is the most Westernised PlayStation yet (let's not forget PS4 was the first PlayStation home console that released in NA and Europe before Japan), so this sort of bs doesn't surprise me. I expect the trend to continue with PS5.

Last edited:

PrCat88

I preordered this on Xbox One, and man am I glad that I did. How embarrassing that Sony is fine with the nudity in Witcher 3, but this angle of Trish's bare ass is crossing the line. You can be sure Catherine and other upcoming PS4 games that have sexual themes and/or nudity are in trouble.

What's even more dumb is the game is already rated M for mature with nudity listed so people who purchase the game already know what to expect. This wasn't thrown in under the radar. How can you show people getting impaled and stabbed but an adult woman's naked body is the problem?

And this was a patch for people that already purchased the game. Imagine if films you purchased did this. The Terminator covers all their nudity with lens flare. It sounds dumb, but here we are with Sony and DMC5. What else will Sony decide to censor?

The PS4 is the most Westernised PlayStation yet (let's not forget it was the first PlayStation home console that released in NA and Europe before Japan), so this sort of bs doesn't surprise me. I expect the trend to continue with PS5.
It's basically the spiritual successor of the Xbox 360, the irony being the Japanese system is the one turning puritan while the American one is normal. Weirder even because Microsoft is just outside of Seattle which is liberal central

Ulysses 31

The price for 1 more fps avg performance on top end consoles! :goog_biggrin::goog_biggrin::goog_biggrin:

Glad I got the PC version. Hopefully mods can fix if for some reason Capcom decides to censor those as well.

Last edited:
Its the disadvantage of a big arrogant company in a closed box environment. PS4.... i have one only for some of their aaa games (hzd, gow, uc4 and maybe 2 more in the future) would these be on pc i wouldnt own one, 30fps with dips is off-putting.

TheUsual

Gold Member
This is hilariously stupid. "Oh no, a little butt crack!" Can't wait for Sony just to play it safe in the future and allow no women in games at all :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Last edited:
rwuNKgf.jpg

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
CensorStation 4 is just hitting its stride we provide the latest and greatest in pixelation technology

Now with our new 'protection light' mode, our innocent virgin fanbase will remain pure under Sony's watchful eye

.....OF JUDGEMENT! Next up a giant enemy ass censor its ass crack for massive damage!

I understand if Sony censored content on Teen rated games and below.... But censoring content on MATURE rateded games is beyond stupid at this point. Im begining to wonder if they are going to censor scenes on TLOU 2.

Kagero

So much anger lol! But I do get it. It's not so much you guys want naked bum, but it's the principal of it all, and what it could mean for the future of PS. For me, I could care less TBH.

Funnily enough, ERA complains about this censorship as well. They find it totally unnecessary. A poster actually said that Sony is really carrying water for all the worst right wing reactionaries. Yes, this censorship is because of right wing reactionaries.

Truly amazing how both sides demonize each other.

Not sure which thread you're reading but it clearly has a large percentage of posts having no problem with the censorship or hand waving it.

Its now quickly pivoting to attacking the people that have a problem with it as pervs wanting to see 3 seconds of a virtual buttcheek, and complaining about the scenes existence for depiction of the women as weak, useless and/or sexualized.
Not only does Resetera want this censorship they want the whole scene removed and any depiction of women to only consist of fully clothed Captain Marvel esq super beings that can never be shown as needing help.

So in today's world we get the best of the western puritanism of the early 90's (which ironically came from extreme conservatives back then) plus the SJW mantra of everyone is always depicted in equal light except white males who are always inferior, racist and stupid. What a time to be alive.

I expect Resetera to clamor for the censorship of the next Mario game if it dares have you save the Princess instead of the other way around.

Aranea

Censoring niche games was only beginning but people did not care because their games were not being hit. Things will get worse from here on and the only way i see this BS Sony policy dropping is if they start lagging next gen.

Last edited:
So much anger lol! But I do get it. It's not so much you guys want naked bum, but it's the principal of it all, and what it could mean for the future of PS. For me, I could care less TBH.
HEY GUYS! Kagero Kagero doesn't care! His apathy makes him look cool and aloof, like a mountain standing stoic and silent as the seasons change through the eons. Let's all praise how cool he is!

Petrae

I understand if Sony censored content on Teen rated games and below.... But censoring content on MATURE rateded games is beyond stupid at this point. Im begining to wonder if they are going to censor scenes on TLOU 2.

Fat chance. Nudity or sexual contact would be defended as being “integral to the true artistic style and vision of the game”, or some such nonsense.

HEY GUYS! Kagero Kagero doesn't care! His apathy makes him look cool and aloof, like a mountain standing stoic and silent as the seasons change through the eons. Let's all praise how cool he is!

If you look closer, the person you cited says “could care less”... so there’s at least a little bit of care in there.

Last edited:
EL OH EL.

What a joke. This game is rated M.

Why are we censoring Rated M games? Is this what happens when you give ideologues too much influence?

Ar¢tos

When they start censoring male nudity, I'll start caring. But first Japan needs to start focusing on male nudity in games before this starts happening. Not enough bulge shots or side bulge in games nowadays. :p

Fbh

That's not enough Sony. I've had to take it upon myself to fix this filth in order to protect the innocent and delicate minds of the Playstation audience:
uqlxQGA.jpg

Nah, TLOU is more on the gore than the nudity side and Sony has fully embraced the weird western values where extreme gore and violence are perfectly fine but breasts and asses under any context are forbidden.

Isa

I see you're a man of taste and culture. Reminds me of one thing he said back on that weekly news satire show I've somehow forgotten the name of, it had Jimmy Carr and Charlie Brooker as well. But yeah, back when something sexual had appeared and a small loud group complained he said "people have been reminded that sex is a thing, and it has come as a shock to some people." I laughed then but never thought that it'd snowball into the moral panic outrage that we see today. Would be interesting to see if it was something done soley on Capcom's end or if it was mandated by Sony, and if so why was it enforced so late? Maybe it comes at a higher cost to royalties and such...

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
There seems to be some censoring going on with the game on Xbox and PC as well. A scene with Lady. Can´t confirm it though since I haven´t played the game, just read some peoples take on all this when it blowed up.

EDIT:

Here is the video. However, it doesn´t state which format.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Is it possible the devs just screwed up and pushed the wrong version? I didn't follow through to the article to avoid potential spoilers. I was already spoiled by aholes on YouTube putting spoilers in video titles that get pushed up recommend

Caayn

There seems to be some censoring going on with the game on Xbox and PC as well. A scene with Lady. Can´t confirm it though since I haven´t played the game, just read some peoples take on all this when it blowed up.

EDIT:

Based on the other content on that channel, including other DMC5 videos that include PS button prompts, and links to the PSN store in the description I'm guessing that that footage is taken from a PS4.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

EDIT:

That scene with Lady is censored on all platforms and regions and has been since launch.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I would be entirely unsurprised if quite a few deserters came back here soon after getting banned from Resetera for daring to speak against censorship in that other forum.

9o4BfBt.jpg

Funnily, that thread was in average surprisingly civil, with only a few pro-censorship dudes throwing around the usual "what's wrong with you?!" with all the fake disdain they're capable of.

Last edited:

Saber

Sounds very silly to me since we're talking about a mature content game and its not much of a deal from the looks of it. Not to mention all the other versions are ok so...yeah they better rethink their values.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I hope this gains enough traction that Sony is forced to revisit their PS5-killing stance on censorship. They won’t though. It’s always sad when a loved one gets dementia.

You really think this is gonna kill PS5? I'll admit I don't feel strongly about this one way or the other but I would think that a lack of naked ladies wouldn't sway my decision.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
That scene with Lady is censored on all platforms and regions and has been since launch.

So why are people up in arms throwing dirt at Sony like they are the motherfucking antichrist when the game is also censored on other platforms?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
i still dont understand why this game getting some cencorship on ps4 while the other game like god of war, witcher 3, mafia 3, metro, mortal kombat and others are getting a free pass

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
I would be entirely unsurprised if quite a few deserters came back here soon after getting banned from Resetera for daring to speak against censorship in that other forum.

9o4BfBt.jpg

Funnily, that thread was in average surprisingly civil, with only a few pro-censorship dudes throwing around the usual "what's wrong with you?!" with all the fake disdain they're capable of.
It's amazing how oblivious to reality that forum seems to be. It is actually fascinating, like a peek into the inner working of a crazy religious sect.

Last edited:

9o4BfBt.jpg

This thread is temporarily locked in the hopes that this subject will go away since we have no viable excuse for this kind of shit either and we don't want people talking about it right now.

That place is just the worst.

You really think this is gonna kill PS5? I'll admit I don't feel strongly about this one way or the other but I would think that a lack of naked ladies wouldn't sway my decision.
It has for me. I'm planning on getting a PS5 for the VR, but I won't buy anything on it that has been censored. Since I buy mostly Japanese games, that's a lot of censorship by Sony. Like, I'm furious that Zanki Zero is being censored. Absolutely fuming. There are scenes in Danganronpa that wouldn't make it past Sony now, and that game series all masterpieces. Same with Utawarerumono - I'm really looking forward to them releasing the remake of the first game, but how many light bars will I have to put up with?

Airbus Jr

Banned
It's amazing how oblivious to reality that forum seems to be. It is actually fascinating, like a peek into the inner working of a crazy religious sect.

its really sucks to see people getting banned and fightin because of some tities

i hope evryone can calm down over here, we just want to have fun and talk about videogames

i know this situation is quite concerning to some people but its not worth fighting and losing your friendship with other users

Last edited:
Top Bottom