• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked (EU) finally released after 2 years, still has bugs.

It actually saddens me how poorly EU Megaten fans are being treated. You get this game fundamentally broken, you still don't have DeSu 2 and 2 Break Code was announced just a few days ago, you guys never got Strange Journey, no clue about Soul Hackers, let's not even discuss the continuing saga that is Persona 4 Arena.

cj_iwakura

It actually saddens me how poorly EU Megaten fans are being treated. You get this game fundamentally broken, you still don't have DeSu 2 and 2 Break Code was announced just a few days ago, you guys never got Strange Journey, no clue about Soul Hackers, let's not even discuss the continuing saga that is Persona 4 Arena.

Well, they did get Maken X on the PSN...

MurderSlim

Neo Member
Mine has already shipped, guess I'll be keeping it sealed and see if any solution is come to. I got it for £23.99 from Amazon.co.uk and it's now going for nearly £50!

Dr Dogg

Yep encountered both of these bugs. How neither were picked up is beyond me. The reversal of the names is pretty glaringly obvious and the fact I've had 3 problems with summons makes me really think that this had no QA at all. Be interesting to see what Ghostlight's answers are on Tuesday. Ross did say on their blog he has mentioned the name cock up to their producer. Edit: Give us a sec and I take some pics.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

At least the DS was region free, so they could at least play Strange Journey. Of course that would involve importing a copy.

But still, it sucks EU fans get the shaft like this.

Taruranto

Man, being an Atlus fan AND European really is the worst thing.

I hope the 3DS gets cracked soon, this fucking RL needs to go.

Well, dodged a bullet with this one. Was going to order it a week ago but luckily it had sold out everywhere.

I hope the 3DS gets cracked soon, this fucking RL needs to go.
Yeah, hopefully it does. It will be great to import games without game breaking bugs and waiting years

Dr Dogg

Right then here one problem in full effect. Started again just to make sure I wasn't going mad. Then again making the names more obviously. Someone 'dun goofed.
9z5uTOM.jpg

Nintendo Cert didn't test this or they just don't care for this type of bug?

And this is one of the games I would've wanted to play whenever I got a 3DS, guess it's one less to worry about :/

Right then here one problem in full effect. Started again just to make sure I wasn't going mad. Then again making the names more obviously. Someone 'dun goofed.

Wow man. I laughed at first, but it quickly faded. This isn't even funny, its just sort of, in my opinion, a blatant disrespect towards your fans. They didn't test this a single bit, they didn't test the VERY FIRST FEW MINUTES TO SEE IF NAOYA'S NAME WORKED CORRECTLY.

Dr Dogg

Wow man. I laughed at first, but it quickly faded. This isn't even funny, its just sort of, in my opinion, a blatant disrespect towards your fans. They didn't test this a single bit, they didn't test the VERY FIRST FEW MINUTES TO SEE IF NAOYA'S NAME WORKED CORRECTLY.

That took me about 10 minutes to get that far in. Having not imported the original I was thinking it might be part of the script, as in Japanese honorifics, calling me by my last name but you can see it's a clear fuck up by checking out Naoya's profile no two ways about it. Compare this to the US version and the text entry is the same way round but doesn't flip the names. Love to know what's up here and whose fault this is. Got the feeling it's not just a single party.

alexein

I'll keep my preorder and see if they patch it, its hard mode lol.
At worst, i'll play my us version of devil survivor and watch the adds of 3ds version on Youtube, and will not support ghostlight ay longer, 2 years for that shit.

wrowa

The fucking sad part about it is: We don't even have any alternatives. It's not like anyone else would have snapped the game up. We are just, quite simply, screwed.

Please Atlus, open a European division, please. We actually have money we'd like to spend on your products, no, I am not kidding you.

Given the name mix up thing I'm seriously wondering here if what happened is Ghostlight had to get the rights for the game from Atlus Japan then buy the script from Atlus USA and were left on their own to put the Atlus USA script into the Japanese game. Which seems like another reason to hate Atlus and well, everyone really, as the logical thing to do is get both from Atlus USA and add your logo to intro, title screen and pray it passes NOE lot check*.

*-From what I gather 505 Games did this when they bought over (to Italy only?) Super Robot Taisen OG1+2 and Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone.

Mine has already shipped, guess I'll be keeping it sealed and see if any solution is come to. I got it for £23.99 from Amazon.co.uk and it's now going for nearly £50!
The question is, is anyone buying (especially considering the broken state)? I could put a copy up for £9000...

But yeah could it going out of stock suggest a recall has been made?

Also I wonder the future value of "completely broken version" will be? Then again in a world where people pay a few hundred $s more for a master system game with a few stickers on the...box was it (I'm thinking US Sonic 1).

Andrefpvs

If I were you I'd make a US account and get you some PSN-codes. Hell, I'd help you get one if needed, I love EP that much.

Thank you, but my main account is European, and I play PS1 classics on my Vita :(

I'd also like to complete the Persona collection on PS Vita.

Can't stress how good Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are enough, despite some things about them aging poorly. Did you play IS.

I did play IS for the first time on PS Vita (the PSP remake). I was completely broken when we didn't get EP PSP :(

Yes...
I've said this quite a few times, but the day Atlus Europe opens, I'll swim naked in the Atlantic.

Khrno

We can only wait until monday to see GL's response about this issue. Hopefully they will rectify the situation with a patch within a short time. But that just seems wishful thinking.

Although I've never had any problems like this one with their previous PSP or PS3 games, so it was something that went very wrong and that will be fixed. Since I really doubt GL would want to lose the trust (if any) from their customers on SMT related games.

They still have DS2 on the works, so they have to do something about this.

wrowa

We can only wait until monday to see GL's response about this issue. Hopefully they will rectify the situation with a patch within a short time. But that just seems wishful thinking.

Although I've never had any problems like this one with their previous PSP or PS3 games, so it was something that went very wrong and that will be fixed. Since I really doubt GL would want to lose the trust (if any) from their customers on SMT related games.

If it can be fixed, that is.

People still wait for a fix for the save deleting bug introduced in the US and EU version of Virtues Last Reward 3DS. To no avail.

Reknoc

Tuesday, I don't think we'd be having this problem if Ghostlight were the sort of company to work on a bank holiday!

But yes, Ghostlight have never had problems like this before as far as I can remember.

America: Get Overclocked before Japan, almost bug-free (any bugs that exist are minor and don't really affect things).

Europe: Get Overclocked over 1.5 years later and a gazillion times harder than the other versions due to the Summon bug alone, and the other bugs don't help at all. So they're basically getting the American version, but in a really crappy, almost unbeatable state (unless you grind to the point where you are extremely overleveled).

Atlus needs to find a European publishing partner that isn't Ghostlight. >_>

OMG Aero

I've only played Devil Survivor 2 so I don't know if it's the same in the first one, but isn't summoning demons in battle a really fundamental thing that you need to do in later battles when you are losing demons?

I highly doubt Ghostlight is going to patch it too, since Atlus themselves didn't patch VLR.

liger05

I was fuming with Amazon today as my copy never arrived but lucky it didnt as I would of unwrapped it before seeing this thread.

I've only played Devil Survivor 2 so I don't know if it's the same in the first one, but isn't summoning demons in battle a really fundamental thing that you need to do in later battles when you are losing demons?
Yeah. Literally no point in buying this version of the game until it's patched.

ohlawd

I've never used Summon ever. I had a weird quirk of having everyone equipped with Sama/Recarm in DS:O so....

edit: Not saying the Summon bug isn't a big problem.

Khrno

Tuesday, I don't think we'd be having this problem if Ghostlight were the sort of company to work on a bank holiday!

But yes, Ghostlight have never had problems like this before as far as I can remember.

Oh right, forgot it was a bank holiday, I hope Tesco will open because they're closed tomorrow and I need to buy some milk.

It's sort of fishy how this wasn't publicized at all and the game isn't even on Amazon.

Well, it has an amazon uk page, and was for sale a few days ago. They might have stopped selling it directly though, because this sounds terrible.

Glad I didn't get mine on release date to open it. Sounds like this is going straight into the returns section of the place I ordered it from!

Labadal

Got a message from amazon that my cancellation went through. I really wanted the Devil Survivor games, but I won't pay money when I know something is broken. I'll probably stay away from anything that has to do with Ghostlight until a few weeks after release.

Khrno

It's sort of fishy how this wasn't publicized at all and the game isn't even on Amazon.

This was posted on the GL blog on response to the lack of stock at Amazon precisely:
Ross Brierley

More copies should be made available to retailers too.

I actually cancelled my Amazon pre-order on Thursday because they never shipped it, was supposed to do so on Wednesday and ordered it from Shop To instead, which it hasn't shipped either, but that's due to being Good Friday and weekend, although I wouldn't mind if GL actually recalled all copies from retailers (not really).

-GJ-

I just got my review copy from Ghostlight today and I haven't used Summon yet, but I will try it out later just to see if my copy has the bug as well (it probably has).

I have to say Ghostlight's PR guy Ross is a really nice guy. They were all out of copies he managed to snatch a copy somewhere a couple days later for me to review. People shouldn't call Ghostlight a bad company just because of these bugs (and the long wait, of course, which may or may not have been entirely in their hands). Yes, they are terrible bugs, but I haven't had any bugs in any other Ghostlight game I've played, so to say they're a bad company just because of some bugs in one game is a little bit of a bold statement.

If I happen to encounter bugs in my copy (which I probably will, since I already saw the Naoya bug in my game) I will reach out to them on tuesday to ask if they're planning on releasing a patch. It's the least they could do, especially with DS2 on the horizon. The name thing should be really easy to fix, but I'm not sure about the Summon bug, but the least they could do is deactivate the Summon-button. It would be a bad solution, but it would be better than getting booted out of your game everytime you select Summon.

The name thing should be really easy to fix, but I'm not sure about the Summon bug, but the least they could do is deactivate the Summon-button. It would be a bad solution, but it would be better than getting booted out of your game everytime you select Summon.

From what I understand, that's not an option, since summoning is pretty much mandatory late-game. It's a bug that outright breaks the game, so it should be fixed ASAP.

-GJ-

From what I understand, that's not an option, since summoning is pretty much mandatory late-game. It's a bug that outright breaks the game, so it should be fixed ASAP.

I know, it's part of the game, but ohlawd has stated above that he completed the game without ever using the Summon button, so it's possible to complete the game without using the Summon feature. Of course, it would be like taking the guns out of a FPS, but it would still be better than losing your progress because you accidentally selected the wrong option.

Khrno

If I happen to encounter bugs in my copy (which I probably will, since I already saw the Naoya bug in my game) I will reach out to them on tuesday to ask if they're planning on releasing a patch. It's the least they could do, especially with DS2 on the horizon.

I agree with your comment about GL, it's not like they are doing cheap outsourcing work for JP companies as some have implied, but they are trying to bring these Japanese games that otherwise wouldn't have been published over here. Yes, they might be slow, but this might be the first time where one of their games ships with a major bug.

Also, hope you let us know what they say about it, although i suspect they would address the situation on a new blog post.

ohlawd

I know, it's part of the game, but ohlawd has stated above that he completed the game without ever using the Summon button, so it's possible to complete the game without using the Summon feature. Of course, it would be like taking the guns out of a FPS, but it would still be better than losing your progress because you accidentally selected the wrong option.

yeah I've done lots of playthroughs. It's not mandatory at all in my experience.

I like the comparison by the way. But to me, it's like a soldier thing where you don't give him a knife but he still has his grenades, primary weapon, and other equipment.

The bigger problem may be the error causing the game to close and the system to restart.

hamchan

I blame Nintendo for region locking their console in the first place.

I blame Ghostlight for the 2 year late port and somehow introducing new bugs in their games.

I blame Atlus for not having a European branch. I blame them for not being able to find a way to bring their games over in a timely manner when apparently most other publishers under the sun can. I blame them for supporting region locking too.

What the crap. How does this even happen?
Not really, hardly used it myself. If you have your teams diversified and choose your battles wisely, then you don't have much need to switch demons mid-battle. I can definitely see it being useful to less experienced players or those with different playing styles.

I've just started the game and I'm about half an hour in. However, I suck at SRPGs. Considering I failed to finish Digital Devil Saga because I found a boss way too hard and couldn't be bothered grinding my way through, should I just start it again and stick it on easy?

Kyari

What the crap. How does this even happen?

Not really, hardly used it myself. If you have your teams diversified and choose your battles wisely, then you don't have much need to switch demons mid-battle. I can definitely see it being useful to less experienced players or those with different playing styles.

Stop defending it, you should never have to circumvent using a core mechanic of a game. Also "hardly used it" is not the same as literally never used it.

Stop defending it, you should never have to circumvent using a core mechanic of a game. Also "hardly used it" is not the same as literally never used it.
The fuck? I'm not defending it. In its current state, no one should be buying this unless there is a guarantee of a patch coming.

gngf123

I was really hoping for a lot more... Devil Survivor is one of the best games on the DS, and something we never got to buy over here.

Atlus... please just open an EU branch already.

Also, Nintendo, never region lock your devices in the future please. I really hope someone cracks this crap.

People shouldn't call Ghostlight a bad company just because of these bugs (and the long wait, of course, which may or may not have been entirely in their hands). Yes, they are terrible bugs, but I haven't had any bugs in any other Ghostlight game I've played, so to say they're a bad company just because of some bugs in one game is a little bit of a bold statement.

They took two years to break a game. They're shit. You're only as good as your last job, and they really screwed the pooch on this one.

Top Bottom