• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third first 75 minutes video (and other musings from Japanese release)

Scoops

Banned
First 75 minutes of the single player on Hard difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLcA4XEwgs

35 minutes of online multiplayer:

https://youtu.be/Uw4lwNRg4iM

Gameranx has this article up on the Japanese launch. Some light spoilers:

Devil's Third Details Emerge At Launch, Nicovideo Livestream Ongoing
The livestream has a special surprise guest in Yu Suzuki.by Ryan Parreno on 4th Aug, 2015

clkegp0usaani8c.jpg

Update: Some fans confirmed and shared a screenshot of Yu Suzuki appearing on the Devil’s Third livestream. Itagaki apparently asked Suzuki if the game's visuals reminded him of Shenmue.

Itagaki’s latest Famitsu article has been translated on the eve of Devil’s Third’s release in Japan and Europe. He details many aspects of the game, as Valhalla announces a livestream for the game later today.

The game has a very deep and layered storyline, which Itagaki developed with a Hollywood screenwriter, who also happens to be a huge history buff. Today we learn the name of the boss of the SOD; Kumano, descendant of the Tokugawa shogunate’s Obinawan. Kumano is sworn to fulfill his ancestor’s dreams of overthrowing the Japanese government, now transformed into fomenting revolution worldwide and creating a new world order.

Itagaki reveals that the SOD can be seen in a more sympathetic light than it initially appeared. As he puts it, Ivan is not necessarily fighting for justice, so much as he is seeking out his karma, AKA fate. His enemies and former comrades in the SOD are looking for a justice in their terms as well, but ultimately, they are also merely pursuing their fate.

As you may know, multiplayer is set in a world where Ivan fails, and the world falls to the control of the SOD. Your mission is to defeat Kumano too, but because the world has fallen into ruin you are more likely to fight with other survivors first.

When multiplayer launches, only five of thirteen areas in the US will be available, and the other eight will unlock one at a time. When training, you will be introduced to ‘Drill’ matches, which functions for training and casual play, and later, ‘Siege’ battles, which are the heart of multiplayer and feature every element of the game. Itagaki recommends starting out as a mercenary and then joining a clan after reaching a certain level. However, the truth is you can do anything you want, including start your own clan.

And now, for the surprise. Famitsu is hosting a Devil’s Third livestream that has started as of this writing. Special guests include Tomonobu Itagaki, and also Yu Suzuki, famous for multiple Sega games and now working on Shenmue 3. Will Itagaki’s other industry friends also make an appearance? Will we hear about Shenmue 3 and other games? If you have a Nicovideo account, you can find out for yourself in the stream here.

Devil’s Third will be released to the Wii U in Q4, and a special F2P multiplayer only version is coming to PC.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...merge-at-launch-nicovideo-livestream-ongoing/

The live stream has since concluded but the link was here:

No idea if you can replay it or not. (the page is in Japanese)

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv229960008

213372bu

Banned
I'm 10 mins in and the some of the game design is.. questionable.

A swarm of bats hitting you, and it seems each swarm is a set amount, gets you down to near death. However, even on hard, it only takes you ~4 seconds for you to regen from near-death to full health.

It might not sound like an issue, but in the gameplay vid it just looks really awkward to play through this while you alter from near-death -> full-heath.

It seems like there are some bat placements too that just stay in the environment which ensures you go to a near-death state for no reason.

I'll continue watching.

benzy

Update: Some fans confirmed and shared a screenshot of Yu Suzuki appearing on the Devil’s Third livestream. Itagaki apparently asked Suzuki if the game's visuals reminded him of Shenmue.

Ahahahaha.

213372bu

Banned
In regards to the infamous boss fight, it looks like it is just that easy, even on hard.

Once in the cover space you have grunts trying to shoot you as the boss sits up on top near a PA system.

But there is a problem, the only people who seem to be able to damage the MC once he is in cover is a guy who is behind you and a guy walking about in the boss arena This is because that once you are in the main cover point, all the grunts shots from the PA/ overwatch tower don't seem to ever hit the player, save a stray bullet or two from the grunt on the very top of the tower.

Then, on the second wave, after you aggro the boss and 2 more enemies spawn in , he starts to shoot you and throw molotovs, yet the molotovs and bullets seem to be completely absorbed by the cover. So you basically shoot him until the win state happens.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
This...looks terrible.

It's like 50 Cent Blood on the Sand without the hilarious nonsense that went on in that game.

In regards to the infamous boss fight, it looks like it is just that easy, even on hard.

Once in the cover space you have grunts trying to shoot you as the boss sits up on top near a PA system.

But there is a problem, the only people who seem to be able to damage the MC once he is in cover is a guy who is behind you and a guy walking about in the boss arena This is because that once you are in the main cover point, all the grunts shots from the PA/ overwatch tower don't seem to ever hit the player, save a stray bullet or two from the grunt on the very top of the tower.

Then, on the second wave, after you aggro the boss and 2 more enemies spawn in , he starts to shoot you and throw molotovs, yet the molotovs and bullets seem to be completely absorbed by the cover. So you basically shoot him until the win state happens.

Damn,

Pyrrhus

The player is poor. His bad performance is doing the game no favors. That said, the game is clearly not the lean, well-optimized and balanced experience Ninja Gaiden Black was. I still think it could be an enjoyable time though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

With graphics like that it wouldn't surprise me that he thinks it looks like a Dreamcast game.

lol joking

213372bu

Banned
I ended up quitting out of the video if anyone is curious about the gameplay.

There are multiple points where the AI on the enemies will bug out and they will not shoot you.

There is a problem where the player enters in a room too quickly and has to re-enter for the flag to initiate an event.

In regards to "playing the game right" argument from lovers of Vanquish and God Hand it doesn't seem that is the case... the level design encourages players to use cover, and trying to use mainly use melee/agility will cause you to die/near die.

In regards to the level design, it is both visually and mechanically awkward.

It seems a lot of the instanced combat is made easy. Even in a scene where the player has to shoot down multiple tanks, he is able to shoot down all the tanks without getting shot by them, and doing so behind geometry.

Overall, it seems like this game really is that bad.

Scoops

Banned
I ended up quitting out of the video if anyone is curious about the gameplay.

There are multiple points where the AI on the enemies will bug out and they will not shoot you.

There is a problem where the player enters in a room too quickly and has to re-enter for the flag to initiate an event.

In regards to "playing the game right" argument from lovers of Vanquish and God Hand it doesn't seem that is the case... the level design encourages players to use cover, and trying to use mainly use melee/agility will cause you to die/near die.

In regards to the level design, it is both visually and mechanically awkward.

It seems a lot of the instanced combat is made easy. Even in a scene where the player has to shoot down multiple tanks, he is able to shoot down all the tanks without getting shot by them, and doing so behind geometry.

Overall, it seems like this game really is that bad.

:(

Besides having inconsistent framerates and some very bad textures in spots, this is the kind of game I have been wanting to play ever since Mad World and Bulletstorm; something that combines FPS shooting with 3rd person melee. Rmember also that the dismemberment will not be censored like it is in the video shown here.

Z3M0G

Ok i pretty much watched the whole thing and that was fucking awesome. The first boss is a complete joke... but the second boss was a much more entertaining encounter. Cinematics and story look great. And the multiplayer was awesome looking, last time i saw it.

I think this game will get a lot of flack, but if i had a WiiU id be all over this.

Steejee

This *needs* to make it into AGDQ/SGDQ somehow. Super janky games are always great for that. They managed to make Sonic Boom interesting for pete's sake!

Was this the promised gameplay of playing the game right (I remember Itagaki blaming the players once the previews rolled in)? If so it is disappointing if it being play by the games rules (as the write up 213372bu did suggests) and does it also mean the mixing of the game play is an illusion (if the scenarios are so one-sided to one style)?

According to the majority of retailers, we're still getting discs.

Simplygames has it for a very reasonable £26.85.
Reasonable enough for a day 1 release but if it is a €40 RRP game then it is similar to Yoshi and Splatoon. Which btw, for perspective on UK prices (as not everyone reading this will be aware of these) you can get Yoshi's Woolly World for £2 cheaper at Amazon UK at the moment and Splatoon for £4 cheaper.

This *needs* to make it into AGDQ/SGDQ somehow. Super janky games are always great for that. They managed to make Sonic Boom interesting for pete's sake!
The physics glitches (which are nothing new for a Sonic game) were the stars of Sonic Boom (as most of the game was skipped)...as was Sonic becoming Bubsy the Bobcat (would not shut up).

Fbh

Looks pretty bad.
And with Nintendo Publishing it will probably be $60 for the next 5 years

Azuran

Banned
Update: Some fans confirmed and shared a screenshot of Yu Suzuki appearing on the Devil’s Third livestream. Itagaki apparently asked Suzuki if the game's visuals reminded him of Shenmue

lmao

Scoops

Banned
Ok i pretty much watched the whole thing and that was fucking awesome. The first boss is a complete joke... but the second boss was a much more entertaining encounter. Cinematics and story look great. And the multiplayer was awesome looking, last time i saw it.

I think this game will get a lot of flack, but if i had a WiiU id be all over this.

This is what I'm hoping/thinking. Haven't had the chance to watch the whole video yet but I'm in as of now.

Pandy

Ah from this Nintendo page I assumed Download only as it says Download version on the right side.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Devil-s-Third-896464.html
Understandable confusion, especially given the rumours around NoA publishing.

I did wonder if maybe it says Download Version because Nintendo UK aren't stocking the game in their own online shop.

EDIT: The maps looked great in that multiplayer footage. The player wasn't brilliant which made watching it tough, and I hope the team-modes will be better (less manic) than free-for-all.

Top Bottom