• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third |OT| A game made of liquor with perfect bald man. He is cool.

Broritos

So, they mention anything about WiiU and PC players crossplaying each other?
I believe it was already said that there will be no crossplay.

Probably wouldn't be fair anyway since we don't know how often golden eggs will be given on the PC version since its F2P. Also mouse...I mean cmon....cmooooon...

I believe it was already said that there will be no crossplay.

Probably wouldn't be fair anyway since we don't know how often golden eggs will be given on the PC version since its F2P. Also mouse...I mean cmon....cmooooon...

Control was Itagaki's stated reason but of course there are other things that would make it probably not worth it.

Coda

How do you unlock the other Drill modes? I only have Battle Royale, Team Deathmatch and Cargo Capture unlocked.

Played some more campaign last night, and I must say, that I continue to quite like a lot of the level layouts in this game. I really like how varied the terrain, gameplay scenarios, and even how Valhalla mixes up the objectives to good effect.

I often find myself starting out a play session reverting to my "maybe this game does suck mentality", only to slowly start having fun, and slip back into the 'I'm Genuinely enjoying this' camp, in spite of the often poor presentation.

I don't think Valhalla could fix the art direction, but I don't really mind that so much. I would love to see Valhalla fix up the animation, and really spruce up the visual effects, lighting, textures, models and polish in the PC version though. I really hope they built the game for a more powerful machine, so that they have all the higher-res textures, higher-poly models, improved sound effects, lighting, and visual effects there to re-enable.

Chickens are good.

Looking forward to this. Is this a common playlist now, or do we have to unlock it?

Also, I was digging deeper into the large deadzone problem. I notice that it's not that the gamepad has a large deadzone, slightly tilting the analog causes the camera to react (at least in campaign mode), but it moves very slowly. Once you reach about 25% of the diameter of a full tilt, the cursor speed jumps exponentially. This is likely why I, and I'm sure many other have been having trouble aiming properly, it's very obtrusive to proper aiming. It's less of an issue when you can use the aim-snap in campaign, but once you are out of MP training, you no longer have that option. Another reason why the PC version is going to be awesome.

Someone posted this video of the PC version in action if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIlwW5poD3E

I'm really curious how game-changin Keyboard-mouse aiming will be. I hope it doesn't impede on your ability to melee combat effectively. It's so effective in MP on WiiU that I sometimes just run around with Katana out, and slice away. It's a ton of fun.

jmizzal

If you guys want a huge XP boost play Chickens they are giving out 5 plus XP boost right now

I was level 9 when I started 3 matches later i'm level im level 13

edit

oh crap, I didnt know you can buy your way to level up lol
I just level up the clan, now our base is gonna be set up good

Kevtones

If you guys want a huge XP boost play Chickens they are giving out 5 plus XP boost right now

I was level 9 when I started 3 matches later i'm level im level 13

edit

oh crap, I didnt know you can buy your way to level up lol
I just level up the clan, now our base is gonna be set up good

How do you grow clan size limit? I want in.

Koppai

I love how most of the Internet was trashing it and now yall are paying a ton of money for it.

I want it too but will wait for reprint. Not supporting scalpers!!

jholmes

I played Chickens today. I had fun, but I think I'd enjoy it more with friends than Internet randoms. As it stands I'm just not good enough to not lose a ton. Still, I'll try to pick through multi from time to time while I get through single player.

Coda

Chickens was fun. I just wish more people were playing. I had one full game of Chickens and it was awesome.

jmizzal

Ok clan I found out more on base defense

I found out how to customize the base now, next defense they wont get to our main base and destroy it so fast.

I put up a fences, auto turret guns, another building with a manual gun and jammers :)

BusterJol

I found out how to customize the base now, next defense they wont get to our main base and destroy it so fast.

I put up a fences, auto turret guns, another building with a manual gun and jammers :)

Great! That felt awful how they GRIZZ steamrolled us.

Really didn't take long for the scalpers to take notice. Just a day or two ago it was in stock a few places.

dumbasses selling this game for $120-$250 on amazon, even bigger dumbasses buying it

They're absolutely doing another run after this surge in popularity.

shanafan

Just was in a TDM lobby with ya ;)

shanafan

Just had my best match of TDM 18-11.

I bought the ACOG scope for the M-21, but wow that pushes in really close unlike the similar scope from COD. But, I like the hip fire in the game so that made up for it ;)

Razlo

Really didn't take long for the scalpers to take notice. Just a day or two ago it was in stock a few places.

dumbasses selling this game for $120-$250 on amazon, even bigger dumbasses buying it

They're absolutely doing another run after this surge in popularity.

Considering how few copies are made, I don't think surge or popularity are the right words, nor do I think a 2nd printing is guaranteed. Maybe GameStop will finance a reprint like they did for the Wii RPGs, but that seems more likely than Nintendo just doing it themselves.

Considering how few copies are made, I don't think surge or popularity are the right words, nor do I think a 2nd printing is guaranteed. Maybe GameStop will finance a reprint like they did for the Wii RPGs, but that seems more likely than Nintendo just doing it themselves.

I do wonder if they would do a second print for a game so universally panned by critics (despite players really enjoying it overall). I snagged a rare sealed gamestop copy yesterday, hopefully it was the right choice :).

Can I go straight into multiplayer?

What's the official GAF clan?

Apparently it got delivered yesterday afternoon.

I was caught up in Smash hype and then fell asleep for a few hours.

I wonder if my mom opened it. At my house a lot of packages for everybody come under my name. All Amazon stuff is my name while stuff like Macy's isn't. The vast majority of stuff delivered isn't for me.

If she did I wonder if she'll comment on the cover and title.

I do wonder if they would do a second print for a game so universally panned by critics (despite players really enjoying it overall). I snagged a rare sealed gamestop copy yesterday, hopefully it was the right choice :).

They sure made a ton of Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis games. And not in comparison to Devil's Third but Xenoblade Chronicles X. The discrepancy between number of Eshop ratings between the two is super large.

Not to me how Xenoblade has the best rating ever in the Eshop while Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis are near the bottom for Nintendo published games.

This is the game everyone was bitching about? Never change guys, you're always good for a hearty laugh.

Just got through the first few stages and I'm really happy with my purchase. The performance can be pretty shit, but the gameplay is tight, the universe is wacky and I'm honestly looking forward to playing more. I'll dive into the multiplayer after I finish up the campaign.

Until then, I see many drum solos and cigarette breaks in my future.

This is the game everyone was bitching about? Never change guys, you're always good for a hearty laugh.

Just got through the first few stages and I'm really happy with my purchase. The performance can be pretty shit, but the gameplay is tight, the universe is wacky and I'm honestly looking forward to playing more. I'll dive into the multiplayer after I finish up the campaign.

Until then, I see many drum solos and cigarette breaks in my future.

Yeah, like, I understand why people had such bad impressions, but having just completed the campaign last night, I have to say that by far the biggest offenders are the tech issues and poor art direction. Although the game looks great at times, Wii U can look and perform so much better overall.

Having said that, my impression of the game is incredibly positive overall. Here's my little mini-review.

playtime:
Campaign (approx 10 hours, time didn't upload to leaderboards)
Multiplayer (12 hours so far)

Campaign
+ Thoroughly fun game
+ Unique game that feels like a complete fusion of Character action and military shooter
+ Fun and competent melee combat, with an awesome variety of finishers
+ Excellent controls make switching between firearms and melee combat a breeze, and has surprisingly easy to use platforming and wall climbing
+ Unique gameplay setup constantly forces players to rethink what they know about shooters and action games, forcing them to think outside the box and conjure up unique strategies
+ Several excellent boss fights that challenge in that Itagaki tense but fair way
+ Very good pacing throughout the campaign
+ Very well balanced, fair but constantly challenging campaign with only a couple problematic difficulty spikes
+ An entertaining story that paints Ivan as quite a likeable badass character with a heart, and offers B-movie level entertainment value at most times
+ Creative level design layouts that offer great verticality due to wall-running/climbing mechanic and smooth platforming
+ Gameplay mixes things up to really good effect, often giving the player new and unexpected gameplay scenarios (such as using Ivan's infared glasses to detect bombs, a vehicle section, turret sections)
+ Nice mix of weapons, always new firearms or melee weapons scattered around to play with, keeping things fresh and interesting.

- Tech difficulties all over the place make the game perform like a borderline launch-era 3rd party port, as opposed to the polish one would expect from a Nintendo exclusive
- Framerate issues rear thier head more than one would like, but thankfully only impede on gameplay in a generally minor way
- Tons of unfortunately slow loading textures leave the game looking worse than it should.
- Overall poor art direction that doesn't quite gel, and at times looks downright awful
- Poor lighting usually leaves environments feeling drab except in several standout scenarios
- Gunplay feels cheap, enemies always explode into poor looking gibs, SFX make guns feels like cheap toys, poor enemy hit reactions and animation
- While enemies do their job very well, poor implementation of behavior and bugs leave them looking stupid on an almost constant basis
- A couple of the 'different' enemies look and act completely dumb, and aren't even that fun to fight, outside of a couple cool boss fights
- Some character models look downright ugly, potentially due to poor lighting and overdone normal/parralax mapping
- The story never quite comes together into an impactful experience, and key characters are underdeveloped and underexposed.
- While generally entertaining, some cinematics and story scenarios come off as downright dumb

Multplayer

+ Just downright fun to play
+ Mix of firearms and swordplay, platforming and wall-climbing gives players unique gameplay scenarios and forces them to rethink encounters, and offers a new feel of multiplayer that I didn't expect to work so good
+ Awesome level-design on huge levels that offer lots of cool and creative flourishes due to generous platforming and wall-climbing possibilities. Climbing high on the mountains of the grand Canyon, hiding throughout Texas big highlights in a very consistent and great set of levels
+ Much more solid visual and framerate performance in MP. The game looks quite good here, all things considered
+ Excellent melee combat mechanics always give players a fighting chance, and make close encounters awesome to behold as you dodge, evade, combo, or unexpectedly blow enemies sky high
+ Melee combat is an unexpectedly balanced strategy for play due to nice combat movement speed and great platforming possibilities
+ Great variety of multiplayer playlists and game modes. So far, chickens and clan/base-building and base-defense/raids being very creative highlights
+ Lots of hilarious and often cool costumes to unlock and equip your character with such as cat heads, samurai helmets, demonic pieces, cool military gear etc.
+ Fair progression system that gives players enough currency to get the items they need and counter any pay-to-win worry
+ A very good set of weapons, weapon items, and items to collect and equip keep players addicted and constantly playing

- Weird slow aiming deadzone that unexpectedly causes accelerated turning when right stick is pressed a certain arbitrary degree, making aiming with guns way harder than it should be
- Unexpected deaths on one stage due to the game not always being all that clear about where water is. Mostly a problem since the game moves so fast and teaches you to bounce around like a Ninja on most other levels.
- Small community of gamers that may dissipate in an unfortunately short amount of time, partly due to Nintendo trying to burry and disown this game.
- Progression is generally pretty slow, but incredibly generous special events (5x XP bonus for playing chickens or playing new map) keep things at a good pace

+/- The game's multiplayer was obviously design as a free-to-play title, and will probably shine as one on PC. On one hand, the slow way that the game doles out Golden eggs (the game's slowly earned special currency) is an indicator of this, but on the other hand, the game offers so many unlockables, clothing, and item variety that I think it comes off more as a positive overall

Overall - SP 6/10
Overall MP - 8/10
Overall Score 7/10

So I have a weird urge to not open the game with how rare it is currently.

I have only sold maybe 6 games in my life and all but one was gotten in the first place with the intention to sell them soon.

I've been pretty excited for this game and still am but I can't help but feel if this game is truly this super rare wouldn't it be better to keep it shrinkwrapped as a collector's piece for years and buy a digital copy?

Of course Nintendo could restock it so I would wait. But I really wanted to support the small online community for this game.

I finish all the side stuff I could do without grinding and all the affinity missions available to me before Chapter 4 of Xenoblade Chronicles X (50 hours) so I would be free to keep this game in my drive.

Also the boz art I kind of great up close and you can see the reflection in Ivan's sunglasses. It may possibly be better than the overseas one.

L Thammy

I just got my copy and started the other day. Cleared the first two stages. I don't see a huge reason for complaint right now either. It's janky, but there's nothing particularly wrong with the gameplay. I remember seeing a lot of complaints about how you only have one combo, but that's not really true (light attack combo, heavy attack combo, dash attack combo). And since you can get gunned down quickly, having fancy combos doesn't really seem to fit with the game design either.

I'm really terrible at this game, though, probably because I don't play a lot of shooters. I want to go out and slash everything, but that doesn't work if you're surrounded by even a few enemies with guns.

The multiplayer is actually pretty frustrating for me, at least from what little I've played. That might again be because I don't play a lot of shooters, but I think forcing the player to start off with the iron pipe and trainee gun is pretty bad. It seemed like it was nearly impossible to kill someone. If I tried to melee, they'd counterattack and kill me. If I tried to shoot them, they'd manage to escape and survive. I managed to get a couple kills by throwing the pipe, but sometimes that would miss and I'd be screwed, and I'm still getting killed by RPGs every three seconds.

Also, it's really lame that you can't change your character's sex for free. I picked a male at first, but I don't like any of the male faces, so I'd rather change to a female. 60 eggs.

komorebi

I just got my copy and started the other day. Cleared the first two stages. I don't see a huge reason for complaint right now either. It's janky, but there's nothing particularly wrong with the gameplay. I remember seeing a lot of complaints about how you only have one combo, but that's not really true (light attack combo, heavy attack combo, dash attack combo). And since you can get gunned down quickly, having fancy combos doesn't really seem to fit with the game design either.

I'm really terrible at this game, though, probably because I don't play a lot of shooters. I want to go out and slash everything, but that doesn't work if you're surrounded by even a few enemies with guns.

The multiplayer is actually pretty frustrating for me, at least from what little I've played. That might again be because I don't play a lot of shooters, but I think forcing the player to start off with the iron pipe and trainee gun is pretty bad. It seemed like it was nearly impossible to kill someone. If I tried to melee, they'd counterattack and kill me. If I tried to shoot them, they'd manage to escape and survive. I managed to get a couple kills by throwing the pipe, but sometimes that would miss and I'd be screwed, and I'm still getting killed by RPGs every three seconds.

Also, it's really lame that you can't change your character's sex for free. I picked a male at first, but I don't like any of the male faces, so I'd rather change to a female. 60 eggs.

At least a heartless nerd didn't hold your copy ransom for $150~$400.

It wouldn't make any sense for them not to do a 2nd print. Probably not until January but there is some demand for the game.

Did places like target or Walmart get copies too?

Domaje

You can sell some golden eggs to buy a decent gun and weapon. If you aim lock (L+x) you can one shot a player, expecially if you jump on him from above so he can't see you coming. Melee is hard, and sadly the game doesn't tell you how to properly fight. You have to understand how to use every move, If you just mash buttons you have no chances. The best way to learn is to play melee only modes with someone good that actually helps you telling to you some advices between games.

komorebi

Has that happened to people with pre-orders?

No, but the internet panic resulted in the remaining copies being bought by people who probably don't even have a Wii U or have no intention of playing the game. They'll look like fools when more copies start showing up in stores though. (I think it'll happen)

No, but the internet panic resulted in the remaining copies being bought by people who probably don't even have a Wii U or have no intention of playing the game. They'll look like fools when more copies start showing up in stores though. (I think it'll happen)

Yeah it was over the weekend that word got out that there were only a few thousand copies produced and the scalping machine started working.

The scarcity of it is, much like amiibos, all due to people buying up stock to resell at a higher price because they have more time than money and people buying from those sellers because they have more money than sense.

Also the game is freely available digitally for $60 and the disc version doesn't include a manual or anything anyway.

And just like amiibos there will be loads of them pushed out to stores eventually and the price will go back down.

There is almost no reason for Nintendo to not print another 5-7 thousand copies. It costs almost nothing to manufacture a disc and case.

I might just get it digitally but I'll wait through February or so to see if more show up. I like having physical games.

Spoo

I really hate having to fight against performance issues in this game to get kills in MP. It's too the point where you're best off running away from a pursuer, waiting until the game stops chopping, and turning and shotgun blast 99% of the time. Can't wait for this to be out on PC, but as a Wii U title it is jarringly poor in responsiveness.

Ninja Dom

Single player, 4 enemies standing around together who haven't noticed you, throw a grenade amongst them. No reaction. They all just stand, watch and wait till the grenade blows them all up.

Really poor AI sometimes, but you know, it adds to the charm in some way.

Top Bottom