• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devolver Digital's directs are something else.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's insane no one is really talking about the Devolver showcase. While the games may very well be not everyone's cup of tea (for obvious reasons) I feel like the showcase itself was extremely well filmed, soulful and hilarious at parts. Jabs to failed gaming mascots of the 90s (except for Bonk. Bonk is fucking fun, that was mean :( ), a great satire of the constant trope of revived franchises being turned into something they're not, great camera work and filming.... It's crazy how people can say Nintendo does it the best when Devolver is out here making actual films.

Not to mention the whole message being sometimes you should just let a dead franchise stay dead instead of trying to make it into some soulless cashgrab that it's not, a very sort of not subtle and on the nose criticism of the reboots and remakes of 2021-2023. Feel like it should've struck a chord with more of the people here.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Their brand of humor just doesn't land with me as it feels so forced. Didn't realize they got the publishing rights for Talos Principle II, that's a good get.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Wtf is volvy?
if we're talking actually it's a fake mascot made by devolver that they came up on the spot for the newest showcase.

If we're talking in universe some legendary gaming mascot that fell to the wayside after the early-mid 2000s due to the changing tastes of gamers and piss poor adaptation to the times. It eventually got rebooted and turned into a soulless AI game generating machine with none of the charm or nostalgia attached with the original product (it also LITERALLY SHITS ITSELF whenever generating a game)

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Love their stuff.

Using their Vol-E ai to present generated games as their trailers is some genius writing

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Annapurna more my jam. Understated and not in your face. Dont think I ever bought a Devolver published game.
Both Annapurna and Devolver make incredible games. Some really good Devolver Digital games that you may have bought:
  • Hotline Miami
  • Cult of the Lamb
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Death's Door
  • Katana Zero
  • The Messenger
  • Ape Out
  • Inscryption
  • My Friend Pedro
  • Gris
  • Weird West
  • Olli Olli 2
  • Fall Guys
  • Absolver
  • The Talos Principle
  • Serious Sam
  • Shadow Warrior

mdkirby

Annapurna more my jam. Understated and not in your face. Dont think I ever bought a Devolver published game.
I definitely enjoy the occasional devolver game, but yeah Annapurna knock it out the park, increasingly so in recent years. In fact I’m pretty sure the last year or two I’ve played a greater number of memorable games by them than anyone else. In quantity, not play time ofcourse as they are usually relatively short “weekend binge” games.

mxbison

Both Annapurna and Devolver make incredible games. Some really good Devolver Digital games that you may have bought:
  • Hotline Miami
  • Cult of the Lamb
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Death's Door
  • Katana Zero
  • The Messenger
  • Ape Out
  • Inscryption
  • My Friend Pedro
  • Gris
  • Weird West
  • Olli Olli 2
  • Fall Guys
  • Absolver
  • The Talos Principle
  • Serious Sam
  • Shadow Warrior

Crazy good Lineups. Devolver and Annapurna are legit some of the best publishers in gaming right now.

People here always complaining how bad AAA gaming is but completely ignore everything else.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I usually LOVE Devolver shows, but this one just didn't land for me. I miss Nina :(
Yeah -- Nina was great, and I would have loved her to return in some form -- but I do think the showcase was brilliant anyway. Devolver showcases are consistently best in the biz for me.

The humor is again stupid af, but I love it. They also abstained from riding the old story until it's a really dead horse.

The games were a bit meh. But Talos Principle II got the better trailer compared to the PS showcase where it did not show anything of the gameplay. Babysteps looks like a retarted Death Stranding with I am Bread controls or something, but might be in the same vein as that or Goat Simulator. Not super great, but at least not just a quick cash grab, probably some wonky gameplay but nevertheless made with actual effort.

I won't lie and say I prefer this to the formula they've established over the past few years, but it was pretty good. Could have used a few more games, though.

Surprised no one's mentioned yet this was made by some of the folks behind Don't Hug Me I'm Sacred.

Wtf is volvy?
How could you say such a thing? Volvy was my childhood. That being said, the dark, gritty reboot in the mid-2000s was unnecessary and was rightfully put out to pasture. I'm just glad they got Volvy's original creator Ronathon Trodfield back on board with newest installment. With Ronathon involved, I'm sure nothing will go wrong at all. Now then, time to watch the show!

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
How could say such a thing? Volvy was my childhood. That being said, the dark, gritty reboot in the mid-2000s was unnecessary and was rightfully put out to pasture. I'm just glad they got Volvy's original creator Ronathon Trodfield back on board with newest installment. With Ronathon involved, I'm sure nothing will go wrong at all. Now then, time to watch the show!
Volvy 2.0 in the late 2000s was a hidden gem. The third game was a major step up in quality from the first 2 and toned down the edginess for some of the most fun Volvy gameplay. By then though the damage had been done :(

Volvy 2.0 in the late 2000s was a hidden gem. The third game was a major step up in quality from the first 2 and toned down the edginess for some of the most fun Volvy gameplay. By then though the damage had been done :(
While I don't necessarily agree that they toned down the edge, I will agree that they tightened up the gameplay and shooting mechanics. That being said, for me, when I play a Volvy game, I just don't envision a TPS wherein I have to gun down heroine dealers and beat up hookers. There's a time and place for those type of games, but trying to graft that gritty crime genre onto Volvy was just totally misguided and reeked of trend chasing.

Rhazkul

• Hotline Miami
  • Cult of the Lamb
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Death's Door
  • Katana Zero
  • The Messenger
  • Ape Out
  • Inscryption
  • My Friend Pedro
  • Gris
  • Weird West
  • Olli Olli 2
  • Fall Guys
  • Absolver
  • The Talos Principle
  • Serious Sam
  • Shadow Warrior

Yup, love their stuff. Two of the most creative and original publishers and devs for sure. A leading example how amazing the indie scene can be.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Devolver’s one of a kind. Can’t watch the entire video, but it’s pretty good satire of the industry.

One of my favorite publishers.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Babysteps looks like a retarted Death Stranding with I am Bread controls or something, but might be in the same vein as that or Goat Simulator. Not super great, but at least not just a quick cash grab, probably some wonky gameplay but nevertheless made with actual effort.
it's made by the same dude who made Getting Over It so it's clearly more of a rage-bait/physics/youtuber type game that gets its fun and challenge from the crazy physics and hard to master gameplay.

it honestly looks funny as hell (especially that gimped ass main character holy fuck) so i can't wait for all the inevitable lets players losing their fucking mind.

wipeout364

I really liked it, they put a lot of effort in to make something different. More risk as well as some people might be turned off as the humor was a little odd. I will say the announcements were a bit meh though.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They never do it for me and I skipped watching this year entirely.

They publish bangers though .

Hotline Miami 1&2
Loop Hero
Inscryption
Katana Zero

And lots more . The games they put out always feel like something fresh, fun , and ground breaking in some regard.

plip.plop

I really enjoy Devolver Digital games a lot. I hope no one tries to snatch them up and make their content exclusive. Their content should be on everything that can run it.

SirTerry-T

The real hero.

The story I heard from people "in the know" was that after the release of Auf Wiedersehn, Monty in 1987, Monty took off to Brazil with a vet, a briefcase full of used bank notes and a disgraced plastic surgeon in tow, never to be heard of again.

Then this "Volvy" fella appeared on the scene.... coincidence?
Maybe.

Wildebeest

The story I heard from people "in the know" was that after the release of Auf Wiedersehn, Monty in 1987, Monty took off to Brazil with a vet, a briefcase full of used bank notes and a disgraced plastic surgeon in tow, never to be heard of again.

Then this "Volvy" fella appeared on the scene.... coincidence?
Maybe.
There was a character called Impossamole who claimed to be Monty Mole, and hung around with Rick Dangerous and Lara Croft, but if that claim is true, the plastic surgery went very wrong. I suspect his title was short for "Imposter Mole".

Drizzlehell

Banned
Their brand of humor just doesn't land with me as it feels so forced. Didn't realize they got the publishing rights for Talos Principle II, that's a good get.
I guess the part about parodying the industry and video game shows in particular is supposed to be cringeworthy, but what makes it work is how uncomfortable it can get sometimes, lol. It's the anti-comedy in the style of something like Tim and Eric.

It's at least some sort of an acknowledgment that yes, the industry is sort of aware of how ridiculous this circlejerk of game advertisement really is.

ZoukGalaxy

Yeah, their show are indeed kinda... high.

true romance smile GIF

Fuz

Banned
They've always had really funny and witty presentations.

Baby Steps looks like Death Stranding, but fun.

Top Bottom