• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: 6 1X games that power past PS4 pro and 5 that dont!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
https://youtu.be/h4WIoHd9V0U
Digital Foundry said:
To what extent does Xbox One X deliver an improved 4K experience over PS4 Pro? We can't cover them all here, but for our money, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Wolfenstein 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of War, Hitman and Ghost Recon Wildlands are great examples of just how wide the gap can be. But the Pro still delivers equivalent experiences or advantages of its own in titles including Titanfall 2, Skyrim, FIFA 18, Fortnite and COD Infinite Warfare.

NOTE: Since we filmed this, Wolfenstein 2 has been updated with a new dynamic scaler option that improves performance. We will look at this in early 2018.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That’s a weird title. The ones that don’t are still better.
It’s more like . Games where devs actually used the extra power and games where they just phoned it in.

Toe-Knee

They’re just tying to appease both sides. Pro owners won’t click if it’s just 100% X wins.

You really think people are this petty? I'm a pro/ pc owner but still watch, like and subscribe to everything they do.

I do think that sometimes they are very biased and overlook shortcomings on all platforms though.

theHFIC

I'm not sure I agree

Any Pro owner should realize that pretty much every multi-plat is better on X.

cool but everyone I know plays on one form another of PS4 which keeps me on it along with the first party titles that come out exclusive to Playstation. Most Pro owners I would assume are savvy enough to know the system that comes out later with bigger numbers is generally a better performing console.

At this point Xbox One doesn't have much going for it other than improved graphic fidelity and performance on multiplatform titles the XOX provides. They don't have the marketshare, they have a lack of any first party titles out now or coming out on the Horizon. Of course this is all they have to use to try to sell units.

Lort

Banned
cool but everyone I know plays on one form another of PS4 which keeps me on it along with the first party titles that come out exclusive to Playstation. Most Pro owners I would assume are savvy enough to know the system that comes out later with bigger numbers is generally a better performing console.

At this point Xbox One doesn't have much going for it other than improved graphic fidelity and performance on multiplatform titles the XOX provides. They don't have the marketshare, they have a lack of any first party titles out now or coming out on the Horizon. Of course this is all they have to use to try to sell units.

Thats totally cool that you purchased your unit from Sony and are happy about not having backwards compatibility, EA access, supersampling or optimal performance.

Kururu

Sir Laughs-A-Lot
Staff Member
Just a friendly reminder that while posting in DF, things can get heated. Keep a cool head and be civil.

Sosokrates

So.... 1X does not have much going for it but 95% of games are better on it.

And the lack of first party titles is not that big of a deal.
Not everyone loves all of ps4 Exclusives.
So far im going to get god of warand spider man, maybe days gone and Detroit is a very big maybe for me and dreams is a no go for me.
For xbox I will be getting sea of thieves, the next forza game,pubg and maybe crackdown 3.
So sonys first party is not vastly superior for me in comparison to xbox next year.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm surprised not every game is better on the XboneX with a higher price point and a year tech advantage.

Fortunately not, it shows people what happens with iterative consoles instead of big generation jumps (same goes for PS4 Pro) in terms of games being held back and third parties not spending a lot of money on technical upgrades that cannot be easily bruteforced. If PS4 Pro had more RAM you would see the difference between consoles even smaller than it is now (having a lot more RAM helps Xbox One bring textures and rendering effects resolution upgrades for a lower cost).

They’re just tying to appease both sides. Pro owners won’t click if it’s just 100% X wins.

That's not the case for me. Some of us don't "pick sides" and own consoles from MS, Sony & Nintendo. DF videos allow me to make a more informed decision over which platform I buy a title on. They also point out any quirks in the different versions (stutters, lower frame rate, CB, native res etc).

I'm surprised not every game is better on the XboneX with a higher price point and a year tech advantage.

On the contrary, developers have had over a year to get to grips with the Pro hardware and have only recently received Xbox One X dev kits. The fact that the X versions of multiplats are already significantly improved with minimal effort from developers, speaks volumes. I was expecting most of the initial X patches to just match Pro settings, not to radically exceed them. I'm actually disappointed that devs are completely ignoring the PS4 Pros strengths (hardware based CB / faux 4k). The difference shouldn't be this vast.

For the record, I am big advocate for the PS4 game exclusives advantage and I love my Pro. I have been one to claim that MS has a “games” problem but that problem is something they seem to be working on at least.

And, yeah, multi-plats belong to the X. It’s the newest hardware, the most expensive hardware, and the most powerful hardware just as expected.

It took a few months before we saw games really “wow” ya with the Pro but the X is doing it with some games right away. I’m honestly excited to see what we get from the X a year from now.

I still favor my PC for Xbox Play Anywhere games but the X is bridging the gap.

theHFIC

So.... 1X does not have much going for it but 95% of games are better on it.

And the lack of first party titles is not that big of a deal.
Not everyone loves all of ps4 Exclusives.
So far im going to get god of warand spider man, maybe days gone and Detroit is a very big maybe for me and dreams is a no go for me.
For xbox I will be getting sea of thieves, the next forza game,pubg and maybe crackdown 3.
So sonys first party is not vastly superior for me in comparison to xbox next year.

I just don't understand how the Xbox One X improves the Xbox platform as a whole. By most estimates, PlayStation has double the number of PS4 units in households. Instead of trying to entice gamers with content like they had with the 360 they instead release an expensive high end machine to cater a consumer that is savvy enough to understand the benefits of 4K, super sampling, and steady 60FPS performance AND either doesn't own a gaming PC or wants it in addition. The smartest part of the XOX is the inclusion of Ultra HD BluRay which is a really dumb omission on Sony's part for a premium console.

The PS4 Pro is hardly even marketed and instead generally serves as the footnote for the regular PS4. Weren't demos shown at trade shows even in 2017 shown on a standard PS4 in most cases? The PS4 Pro does not seem like it has been heavily marketed much outside of dedicated gaming circles.

I am all for the competition between the two and Nintendo doing its own thing like usual.

When it comes down to it I am very happy for Xbox One X to be running games faster and slightly better looking than PS4, but I will take over 60 million units sold compared to mid 30 million sold any day in regards to which platform is going to be supported better and have the bigger playerbase.

Alebrije

Xbone X is not a mass market console , its for a niche group of consumers. So will never help MS beat Sony.

But it's the best console and love how it enhances games and 4K player is good ( now).

A. Creed Origins looks fantastic with HDR enabled , do not know how it compares to the PRO version but looks a step beyon other games. If that is what X can do now 2018 will be great.

solis74

On the contrary, developers have had over a year to get to grips with the Pro hardware and have only recently received Xbox One X dev kits. The fact that the X versions of multiplats are already significantly improved with minimal effort from developers, speaks volumes. I was expecting most of the initial X patches to just match Pro settings, not to radically exceed them. I'm actually disappointed that devs are completely ignoring the PS4 Pros strengths (hardware based CB / faux 4k). The difference shouldn't be this vast.

agree.

Sosokrates

I just don't understand how the Xbox One X improves the Xbox platform as a whole. By most estimates, PlayStation has double the number of PS4 units in households. Instead of trying to entice gamers with content like they had with the 360 they instead release an expensive high end machine to cater a consumer that is savvy enough to understand the benefits of 4K, super sampling, and steady 60FPS performance AND either doesn't own a gaming PC or wants it in addition. The smartest part of the XOX is the inclusion of Ultra HD BluRay which is a really dumb omission on Sony's part for a premium console.

The PS4 Pro is hardly even marketed and instead generally serves as the footnote for the regular PS4. Weren't demos shown at trade shows even in 2017 shown on a standard PS4 in most cases? The PS4 Pro does not seem like it has been heavily marketed much outside of dedicated gaming circles.

I am all for the competition between the two and Nintendo doing its own thing like usual.

When it comes down to it I am very happy for Xbox One X to be running games faster and slightly better looking than PS4, but I will take over 60 million units sold compared to mid 30 million sold any day in regards to which platform is going to be supported better and have the bigger playerbase.

Thats great, however those who claim the ps4 is superior to the Xbox overall are living with the fairies.

Also new content takes time, especially when they canned two of there Exclusives.The decisions on games Phil and co makes now we will see in 2020 and beyond.
However if we dont see ms expand its first party and exlusive portfolio it will effect overall sales and brand image.
So far xbox's 2018 line up aint bad, but it needs to be more diverse.
Also to less extent sony is also suffering from a lack of diversity with there 3rd person action heavy exclusive line up.

Ubername

Banned
That's not the case for me. Some of us don't "pick sides" and own consoles from MS, Sony & Nintendo. DF videos allow me to make a more informed decision over which platform I buy a title on. They also point out any quirks in the different versions (stutters, lower frame rate, CB, native res etc).

I agree, I think Microsofts aggressive way of courting developers probably had a lot to do with that, I bet they threw a lot more incentive money at devs than did Sony to get shit working fast

How much are MS paying Digital Foundry for this incredible amount of 1X coverage since launch?

Someone needs to look into the journalistic integrity of what's going on here. DF is basically 95% 1X coverage these days.

I don’t know why any PS4 player would be mad. PS4 has games. Xbox X just released and is 500$ of course it’s gonna better hardware. Let them be happy.

Wins

phil_t98

#SonyToo
already lots of salt in here, exclusive!!! frame rates!!!

Digital foundry did a load of coverage last year on the PRO , last year the Pro was the best console and this year it is not.

if people are happy with their pro am happy for them but it isn't the most powerful anymore. people bringing up price as well, it aint as if the X costs hundreds more than the pro its £50 more thats it. 1 game price more.

the Pro is an excellent console and has great games for it, the X is a slightly better consoles and has great games for it as well

breakfuss

How much are MS paying Digital Foundry for this incredible amount of 1X coverage since launch?

Someone needs to look into the journalistic integrity of what's going on here. DF is basically 95% 1X coverage these days.

Is telling people to shut up still frowned upon here?

Malcolm9

Digital foundry did a load of coverage last year on the PRO , last year the Pro was the best console and this year it is not.

if people are happy with their pro am happy for them but it isn't the most powerful anymore. people bringing up price as well, it aint as if the X costs hundreds more than the pro its £50 more thats it. 1 game price more.

the Pro is an excellent console and has great games for it, the X is a slightly better consoles and has great games for it as well

The X is £50 more than the Pro?? You might want to check that.

Toe-Knee

You can get the pro for £220-250 currently with all the promotions. The one x is £450 that's quite a big gap.

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.

If you, or anybody else has evidence of what you accuse then you are more than welcome to post that evidence here. However, if you do not have the evidence that your post would suggest then you really shouldn't be throwing unfounded accusations around.

You have every right to not like the work that they do or even to disagree with whatever software/hardware they perform their work on but as is standard for Digital Foundry, they will largely base their work on software and hardware that is new or has recently been updated.

Thank you.

shpankey

not an idiot
For the record, I am big advocate for the PS4 game exclusives advantage and I love my Pro. I have been one to claim that MS has a “games” problem but that problem is something they seem to be working on at least.

And, yeah, multi-plats belong to the X. It’s the newest hardware, the most expensive hardware, and the most powerful hardware just as expected.

It took a few months before we saw games really “wow” ya with the Pro but the X is doing it with some games right away. I’m honestly excited to see what we get from the X a year from now.

I still favor my PC for Xbox Play Anywhere games but the X is bridging the gap.

Good post and agreed on all counts.

shpankey

not an idiot
In a way, the one x benefits the pro too. More devs will now be looking to take advantage of what they can both do now. I truly believe this.

nowhat

In a way, the one x benefits the pro too. More devs will now be looking to take advantage of what they can both do now. I truly believe this.

I don't think it's a matter of belief, it has provably already happened at least once. CDPR initially said Witcher 3 would not receive Pro support. But very shortly after announcing support for One X they said Pro support would come too, and it did (still waiting for HDR support though, but supposedly it's coming).

Top Bottom