• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Battlefield Hardline Beta Performance Analysis 720p X1, 900p PS4, Framerate issue

lifeexpectancy said:
Annualized franchises need to die.

People keep buying them though. They are not going to die as long as they sell.

More's the pity. Wish people would stop supporting annualized nonsense so they would take more time and make a proper game.

I didn't even rent the latest CoD, Madden, Fifa, or any of the other annualized games, let alone buy them.

Madchad

Work a few extra hours if you need to in your part time / full time job and buy a half decent PC for £500 and CS:GO for £14.99

Will have more fun and less headaches doing all that than you will with this.

Will also recoup most of that £500 once EA finish DLCing the crap out of every single map.

gl0w

No way im gonna drop 70€ on this game. this is just unacceptable. Sorry visceral you will need to try harder.

R_Deckard

Only time will tell. I do think that pushing out underpowered consoles was a big mistake.

Yep for sure...dem poor sales graphs. Sony must be kicking themselves now after making a profit.

The issue some have here on GAF and other hardcore sites is one of "projection" in that They have a PC that is more powerful than these consoles so everyone must be at that level.

These consoles are the best balance within the scope, even if you have a GTX980 or R290X paired with an i7 if a game is 1080/30 on PS4 (900/30 X1) then same game on this machine can have 1080/60 with better AA/Shadows and LOD or 1080> <60 and so on.

This area above is small but should make all High End PC gamers happy, but reality is irrespective of PC only gamers admitting it the difference between the 2 is very minor and the market at large would even struggle to see (or care) the difference.

Reality is and sales/hype and media have proved that both consoles got it bang on or near as damn it. The amount of "concern" shown in other threads on console exclusives shows that they are still capable of producing visuals far in excess of what we have seen thus far.

leeh

i would actually like to see these same shots from the PS3/360 versions, are they any different than the Xbone version?
You serious here?

Obviously the resolution is the same, but everything other than that is improved. Still terrible for both consoles.

Riky

$MSFT
i would actually like to see these same shots from the PS3/360 versions, are they any different than the Xbone version?

Play the Dust Bowl map and the difference is huge between X1 and 360, my main problem is that the game visually falls short of BF4 on both X1 and PS4 and it doesn't even hold 60fps, one point in the video the PS4 version falls into the thirties.

Maybe the final version will be better but I doubt it, I enjoy the beta but this should have been a £20 add on for BF4 at best.

You serious here?

Obviously the resolution is the same, but everything other than that is improved. Still terrible for both consoles.

hey even BF3 still looks decent even if it is blurry,
Battlefield-3-PS3-screenshot-4-1024x576.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's really bad. I mean the ps4 and xo versions look like the PC version with bad image quality but the last ten versions barely resemble it. They look very different and much worse while barely hitting 30 fps. Frostbite 2 and 3 never worked well on there.

Well, in this case, they're using a poor implementation of AA, I feel. It simply doesn't work well here and the game winds up looking blurry yet aliased. It's not pretty.

It's so much worse on Xbox One at 720p, though.

I assume it's the same "antialiasing post" you can enable in PC version that comes with all frostbite games? Because that is indeed awful, they need to replace it with something better, like SMAA.

Timurse

Banned
I think that even BFBC2 remaster would have sold a lot better wether EA decided to release it the same year as BF Hardline. The game is a joke, guys. No destruction, bad models, bad shadows, worse enviroments - everything in BFH is worse than BF4.

May I also remind you that new Visceral mostly consists of Dead Space team leftovers, most of original team is in Sledgehammer now (they made COD:AW).

It's crazy to me that after all these years of 1080p TVs being standard, and with controversy coming like clockwork every time a sub-1080p game is announced, developers are still saying, "Yeah, let's aim for 900p". That shit ain't enough p's, son.

Yep for sure...dem poor sales graphs. Sony must be kicking themselves now after making a profit.

You have to understand that discussions about the hardware of these consoles and its potential effect on the market are mainly about mid- to long-term implications, based on the fact that they'll have to survive for at least four more years with every other competitor advancing its tech at a fast pace. Thinking only about the short term is sadly typical consumer behavior though.

R_Deckard

You have to understand that discussions about the hardware of these consoles and its potential effect on the market are mainly about mid- to long-term implications, based on the fact that they'll have to survive for at least four more years with every other competitor advancing its tech at a fast pace. Thinking only about the short term is sadly typical consumer behavior though.

I think you are missing the short-midterm. If sony had done another PS3 it would have most likely then done a "Sega".

MS has the budget to risk that and still went lower grade, what does that tell you!

Missing the actual commercial and business aspect of all company's process is what is actual "typical" consumer behaviour.

SparkTR

I think you are missing the short-midterm. If sony had done another PS3 it would have most likely then done a "Sega".

MS has the budget to risk that and still went lower grade, what does that tell you!

Missing the actual commercial and business aspect of all company's process is what is actual "typical" consumer behaviour.

I think Microsoft just made the wrong bet with Kinect there. The console power might be lower end but including an extra $150 - $200 piece of kit in each box definitely made the whole package a premium piece of hardware then. I imagine things would have been done differently without that overhead that was Kinect during the development of the hardware, but now they have to make do with what they have.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

The Wii opened eyes. Sony would be doing far worse right now had they released some $600 powerhouse where they lost big money on every single sale. And for what? Rogue Legacy? Hotline Miami? Seriously, the majority of releases are simple indie games, and you don't need monster hardware for that.

This game feels like a big DLC pack worth max £19,99. Had fun with the beta but they haven't done enough since the last beta to NOT make it look like just a reskin. Even the vault breaching soundfile is exactly the same as the onces used in rush.

I feel like if a developer really puts effort into a cops and robbers game it might catch on.

But this, this is just a cash grab.

-hadouken

People seem to be missing the point. Visceral clearly targeted performance with Hardline. This is laudable. I played a few rounds of HL then switched back to BF4. There's an inherent smoothness that I'll miss when returning to BF4 (TTK sadly too aggressive in HL.)

I realise I'm probably mostly alone in this, but I'd much rather they just made them both 30fps and 1080p.
For the love of Shiva, no! Playing BF4 or Hardline (PS4) after Destiny feels utterly amazing after experiencing the inherent jank of 30fps. Other types of games are fine at 30fps - first person shooters just work that much better at 60.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I assume it's the same "antialiasing post" you can enable in PC version that comes with all frostbite games? Because that is indeed awful, they need to replace it with something better, like SMAA.
Seems that way. Pc version shimmers badly too without MSAA and down sampling.

Top Bottom