• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Death Stranding Tech overview

Imtjnotu

check it

-Top tier HDR implementation
-Checkerboard rendering in play
-Best skin and hair rendering as of any late game
-pop in kept to a minimum
- Most Foliage reacts to payers movement through it
-Water system heavily upgraded from Horizon Zero dawn. now Reacts to players movement through it

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I'm still not sure if I'll enjoy the game, but holy fuck that looks impressive. I hope the collaboration between Guerrilla and Kojima Productions means we'll get those water effects in HZD 2 (or whatever the inevitable sequel will be called).
The water and black tar effects were off the fucking rails in this over view

vpance

Excellent review. 2160p checkerboard, aww yeah.

John seemed to really enjoy the traversal too. His statement at the end comparing the game to ICO titles was good to hear.

I like this impression he posted

I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Can't wait to play this. Me and my son who is 12 were watching the launch trailer like "this would make a dope Sci fi movie". I'm going to take my time with this game and play an hour each day 😊

AnotherOne

This game looks amazing graphically.. incredible engine and team doesn't matter if you're pc master race, nin fanboy, or xbone fanboy you can't deny how impressive it looks.

D dark10x
Thanks again for the superb work. I always look forward to these videos. I'm really excited to see what Death Stranding is like on PC. I wonder what the Decima engine will look like on top tier PC hardware?

-Arcadia-

Banned
John with another fantastic video.

I was always intrigued by this game’s potential, but he really sold me on the nebulous aspects that I didn’t understand.

I skipped around a little bit since I want to go in relatively blind (haven't watched the last couple trailers) and I have to say this game looks incredibly impressive from a tech standpoint. It blows my mind that Geurilla/Kojipro were able to squeeze this out of the PS4. Speaking of which, the base PS4 footage looks damn good as well.

This game still looks weird as fuck, and I am relatively skeptical, but I'm probably going to end up getting it day one anyway. It's just too intriguing. Fuckin' Kojima gets me every time.

Imtjnotu

Blackhearted_1 tweet if you’re okay
1E0m.gif

So, it’s not native 4K.

What a fucking lie this was then:

Why would you even believe it in the first place, the Pro is weak af. Native 4K is rarely a consideration for anything on the system let alone something which looks like this.

Top Bottom