• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Destiny 2 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S - A True Next-Gen Advantage

slade

It's funny because this situation (ps5 vs series x) pretty much mirrors the Vega 64 vs 1080ti scenario I mentioned above.

The vega 64 had a teraflop and texel fillrate advantage but the 1080ti had higher clock speeds, a pixel fillrate advantage and better drivers.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So you get basically same performance, because it's resolution vs FPS, I agree that XSX version should drop resolution more (like PS5 is doing), but both companies delivered comparable HW for same price, but somewhat Cerny is genius.

'member Tempest 3D? Yeah I did not hear good thing about it. So everything with atmos is easy win for XSX.

And yeah it's 5am, I cannot sleep, so hhope you appreaciate my contribution.

Coil whine me if you salty.

kyliethicc

Whats more bizarre is why the 60 fps mode is only 1080p? The x1s is 1080p at just 1.3 tflops. This thing has 4 rdna 2.0 tflops and an 8 core 3.4 ghz cpu. It should be able to run it at 1440p 60 fps easily. Surely there is a bottleneck somewhere in the system.
RAM & bandwidth

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
ryan reynolds lol GIF by Lionsgate

longdi

Banned
Yep. Though you dont have to tell me. I made this chart after the Xbox hot chips presentation where they revealed these numbers. maybe tweet them to Alex and DF? ;p

s0n39Hi.png

really depends on how long ps5 can maintain its clockspeeds though...

Today, games are likely not hitting its apu transistors hard enough.
Only true next gen engines are running, do we know if ps5 can handle the real heat and power consumption.
There has to be a reason MS was concerned about sustained performance in a closed box they design. 🤷‍♀️
Either that or MS was too conservative SX clocks and there are room for a firmware upclock.

Shmunter

Not sure there’s much left to say. Exclusives and 3rd party under the one roof this gen.

If there’s only one purchase to be made for the next few years, it’s the funny looking flappy one.

It’s only the beginning.

Shmunter

really depends on how long ps5 can maintain its clockspeeds though...

Today, games are likely not hitting its apu transistors hard enough.
Only true next gen engines are running, do we know if ps5 can handle the real heat and power consumption.
There has to be a reason MS was concerned about sustained performance in a closed box they design. 🤷‍♀️
Either that or MS was too conservative SX clocks and there are room for a firmware upclock.
The pivoting power delivery in PS5 is The engineering achievement. It affords more for less power consumption. Expect to see it in all quality products going forward.

Microsoft worrying about anything they aren’t doing is pure PR.

Last edited:
Not sure there’s much left to say. Exclusives and 3rd party under the one roof this gen.

If there’s only one purchase to be made for the next few years, it’s the funny looking flappy one.

It’s only the beginning.
Where will i go if i have to play Stalker and Destiny 2 for cheap on consoles

And Starfield, Next doom nd all for 1$?

I play it on SX, for me it's a very good upgrade, but to be honest, I have a Q9FN, which have VRR... So I can't feel these drops...
Even without VRR you can't feel drops in 120fps mode unless it dropping below 80.

And in 60fps mode drops are like 56 from 60 for few seconds in certain areas. But any single drop in SX version is considered bad for SX.

longdi

Banned
The pivoting power delivery in PS5 is The engineering achievement. It affords more for less power consumption. Expect to see it in all quality products going forward.

Microsoft worrying about anything they aren’t doing is pure PR.

what achievement? It was already seen in modern cellphones and laptops. 🤷‍♀️

there has to be reasons why MS chose conservative clocks too. The apu in a constrained box, we shall see in due time once next gen engines hit.

Shmunter

what achievement? It was already seen in modern cellphones and laptops. 🤷‍♀️

there has to be reasons why MS chose conservative clocks too. The apu in a constrained box, we shall see in due time once next gen engines hit.
Let’s not beat around the bush, XsX could have gained more performance under its current power draw (heat) if it had the tech. That’s the crux of it.

longdi

Banned
Let’s not beat around the bush, XsX could have gained more performance under its current power draw (heat) if it had the tech. That’s the crux of it.

conservative firmware mate. 🤷‍♀️
the tech hardware are all in there.

of course, what looks conservative now, may be forward looking engineering (#no_PR_numbers) once reality comes of age.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't in the least.

The problem isnt so much the machine its the expectations people had for it.

So many people pushed 12 tf would destroy the PS5 and people bought into it when certain people close to devs said all along the PS5 was going to surprise people.

For me the Series X is an amazing replacement for my Xbox One X which all it was ever meant to be.

These videos of how close these machines are in the end (TO ME) means buy which one you prefer and enjoy it.

Want Gamepass and play a shit ton of games but Xbox.

Want a true next gen console buy PS5.
That is the exact problem of MS here, overselling.
And it apllies to every product, overselling and underdelivering diminish the perceived quality of a product , it reminds me of the time when a friend hyped me saying Looper was one of the best film ever.
So I went to the cinema hyped AF and when the movie ended I remember thinking that it was bad but was it though?
In restrospect the movie was actually good but since it had been oversold to me I expected better and perceived it as bad compared to my expectations.
Now back to XSX I don't think people (other than fanboys and some truly disapointed people of course) think it's bad, just not as good as it was expected to be.
But to be fair once the specs were revealed MS had no other choice than overselling it, that's the burden of the underdog,Sony can hype its console on brand recognition alone and MS can't really do it outside of the US.
The other problem MS has is that its only game that could show its power would have been Halo and it didn't turned out very well on that point.
An amazing looking 1st party would have alleviated the worries about its power we can see everywhere, just like the people criticizing ps5's SSD have to admit that it works bloody weel in Demon's Souls and Spiderman MM.
If the multiplat can't show yet the true potential of these consoles 1st parties at least shows a glimpse of it.
So when you were supposed to crush the competition and end up doing worse (ever so slightly) or when you end up winning with a small margin it isn't really a win.

But now everything is exagerated by fanboys of both platforms with gotcha moments when in fact both console are performing so well that I think most people can't even tell which version is which just by looking.
And that's probably why those comparison threads are always a bloodbath it always comes down to PS fans arguing about how it was supposed to crush the ps5 and MS fans about how the delta is really small and that it has other benefits, then gotcha and contradictory statements about both companies and it keeps going.

Shmunter

conservative firmware mate. 🤷‍♀️
the tech hardware are all in there.

of course, what looks conservative now, may be forward looking engineering (#no_PR_numbers) once reality comes of age.
Don’t buy it. Being able to take from one bucket and put into the other because there is more demand there, and less there has no down sides. More flexibility of performance as needed.

Fud spread that PS5 does thermal throttling like a mobile phone is deliberate misinformation, likely repeated by those not bright enough to ever understand the difference.

Maybe nerds need it in the context of Scotty in Star Trek diverting power from the Holodeck to the engine when the captain wants to go faster.

It’s smart, it’s elegant and will be the future of all processing.

Last edited:

Rea

there has to be reasons why MS chose conservative clocks too. The apu in a constrained box
The reason is simple, lesser time and money for R&D, lesser headaches, all they have to do is slap PC's RDNA2 GPU and Zen2 CPU in a box with a vapor chamber for cooling, that's it. Easy , fast and spend less money for R&D.
What's sony doing is totally different, they spend billions on R&D developing a way to use Liquid metal in mass produced consumers electronics, developing variable frequency which is controlled not by thermal but by Model Soc using algorithm for monitoring workload and adjust frequency and diverting power to where it's needed. Custom hardwares for increasing GPU performance such as cache scrubbers and Custom GE. I/O co processors for assisting data throughput, etc.

In fact, they said that the SX version is running at a more static 4k than PS5 (6:48), possible that's the reason of these drops no?

Of course, but logic is wasted on Sony fanbois. It’s pretty obvious the XSX is trying to do more, hence the drops.

I guess the question is do we want the XSX version to run at the PS5 level for smoother performance, or keep pushing the static 4K more than PS5? I’m thinking the latter until Microsoft gets their dev kits and system sorted out.

longdi

Banned
Don’t buy it. Being able to take from one bucket and put into the other because there is more demand there, and less there has no down sides. More flexibility of performance as needed.

Fud spread that PS5 does thermal throttling like a mobile phone is deliberate misinformation, likely repeated by those not bright enough to ever understand the difference.

Maybe nerds need it in the context of Scotty in Star Trek diverting power from the Holodeck to the engine when the captain wants to go faster.

It’s smart, it’s elegant and will be the future of all processing.

The reason is simple, lesser time and money for R&D, lesser headaches, all they have to do is slap PC's RDNA2 GPU and Zen2 CPU in a box with a vapor chamber for cooling, that's it. Easy , fast and spend less money for R&D.
What's sony doing is totally different, they spend billions on R&D developing a way to use Liquid metal in mass produced consumers electronics, developing variable frequency which is controlled not by thermal but by Model Soc using algorithm for monitoring workload and adjust frequency and diverting power to where it's needed. Custom hardwares for increasing GPU performance such as cache scrubbers and Custom GE. I/O co processors for assisting data throughput, etc.

no no no.
the variable frequency speed shift thing, have been done in laptops, mobiles and all.
It is suitable for variable tasks use on the go.
But for a console fixed to your TV, you play games, you want fixed output.

It remains to be seen how this variable thing may turn from early trumpeting over x-gen games, to reality hurts in next gen engines. 🤷‍♀️
Not only it may lose it peak numbers, but having another api layer to ensure the variable-ness dont mess with developers fine tuning their games.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Rea

Shmunter

no no no.
the whole variable frequency speed shift have been done in laptops, mobiles and all.
It is suitable for variable tasks use.
But for a console, you play games, you want fixed output.

It remains to be seen how this variable thing may turn from early trumpeting over x-gen games, to reality hurts in next gen engines. 🤷‍♀️
Not only it may lose it peak numbers, but having another api layer to ensure the variable-ness dont mess with developers fine tuning their games.
Sorry to say this, but everything you thought you understand is wrong, even if Phil told you otherwise.

All the info is readily available, it is up to you to increase your understanding and come off better for it.......or not. Your choice, your life.

Md Ray

My 1.5 tflops GTX 570 and a 4 core single threaded AMD CPU from 2010 was able to run Destiny 2 at 720p 60 fps easily. a 4 tflops next GPU with a 16 thread CPU shouldnt have any issues running it at 1440p 60 fps.

I can confirm this. I didnt play it much but I ran it on my rtx 2080 at native 4k 60 fps and had no issues. I will run some more tests tonight but i dont think i ever updated the game since the latest versions came out.

One quick correction though, the 1080 Ti is roughly on par with the 2080 sans RT cores, and MS themselves told DF to expect 2080 performance from the xsx based on their gears 5 benchmarks. 1080 is quite a bit slower than the XSX GPU yes, but 1080 Ti should be on par when it comes to standard rasterization.
Is it still a DX11 game on PC?

Last edited:

RobRSG

All I know is that I can play this with Gamepass and that’s a good thing.
In this game, the behavior is similar to many titles on the last gen, where the X pushed more pixels, where the Pro had slight better performance.

longdi

Banned
Sorry to say this, but everything you thought you understand is wrong, even if Phil told you otherwise.

All the info is readily available, it is up to you to increase your understanding and come off better for it.......or not. Your choice, your life.

Phil can hire the best and have the warchest behind him. MS is a trillion dollars company, what is Sony?

It is strange priorities that Sony spent part of the BOM on liquid metal and stepped triggers.
Sorry but the idea that liquid metal R&D is needed over pure GPU shader cores, seems wrong. 🤷‍♀️

In fact, they said that the SX version is running at a more static 4k than PS5 (6:48), possible that's the reason of these drops no?
Not in the 120hz mode. It's only for the 60hz mode and those drops are very rare on both consoles, just a bit more often on PS5. On the other hand XSX is frequently dropping frames during combat so those drops won't explain all the difference of framerate.

And as I already said if those drops are because of a CPU bottleneck then those have nothing to do with resolution.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Phil can hire the best and have the warchest behind him. MS is a trillion dollars company, what is Sony?

It is strange priorities that Sony spent part of the BOM on liquid metal and stepped triggers.
Sorry but the idea that liquid metal R&D is needed over pure GPU shader cores, seems wrong. 🤷‍♀️
Liquid metal is standard on AMD’s RDNA2 cards, same with the high clocks. It’s actually MS that went in a different direction from the RDNA2 vision.

longdi

Banned
Liquid metal is standard on AMD’s RDNA2 cards, same with the high clocks. It’s actually MS that went in a different direction from the RDNA2 vision.

what? when was LM standard in rdna2? more fud!

So if PS5 runs a game better, there has to be something wrong: dev kits, poor APIs, lazy devs, my ex, and her poor stomach.

But it absolutely cannot be, in any circumstance, that perhaps ... PS5 is a better performant console? Oh no, that's blasphemy.

Perhaps so, but perhaps no. Sony will let the public know if it was so, they always have. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Perhaps so, but perhaps no. Sony will let the public know if it was so, they always have. 🤷‍♀️

It's stupid marketing to say that a console will outperform another -- mainly because a console manufacturer has no control over all the future games and engines that potentially may come.

That's why MS is receiving the flak. They couldn't possibly predict how games will shape up nor how Sony's system will perform. They did the same stupid thing with XSS, setting expectations for 1440p at 120, and XSX, highlighting 60 FPS "as the next-gen standard". You don't go making claims about something you don't have 100% control over.

Md Ray

You clearly don't seem to understand how variable frequency of PS5 works. It doesn't downclock based on the silicon temperature. For variable frequency to work, they allow a certain amount of power to the APU and then they increased the frequency until it reached the PS5's max capability of the cooling solution. In other words, the cooling solution combined with liquid metal isn't inadequate that it will somehow let the APU get overheat simply because it's running a next-gen game, no. The cooling solution is designed for the PS5 APU's specific power level and to handle/dissipate the APU's maximum heat it can generate under any workload.

Without variable frequency, the GPU frequency would have been way lower like XSX and XSS's are.

Clearly doesn't seem wrong. And it seems to be working as intended. Fast 36 CUs outperforming/performing similarly to slow 52 CUs in almost every game so far. That's a cost-effective, smart design, if you ask me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

FranXico

The liquid metal is useful for transferring the heat away from the APU with the GPU running at such high frequencies.

Of the customizations that likely were given priority over CU count, TIM is the least likely.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The company size does not mean he had an infinite budget to spend else they would have not designed the split bandwidth solution, sold the XSX for $399, etc... not sure what point you were making here rather than chestbeating for some reason.

Your idea or better your understanding of it sounds wrong because it is. Liquid metal, which makes it easier to transfer the heat from potential hotspots on the chip to the heat sink, allowed for more efficient and cheaper cooling of a solution always designed for high clocks.

Md Ray

package2.jpg

Or does liquid cooled not necessarily mean liquid metal?
Yes, liquid cooling and liquid metal are two very different things. That photo is of a liquid cooled graphics card, comes with a radiator. It's aimed at enthusiasts.

images

And even those liquid cooled graphics cards use the common thermal paste that's on the right.

Also, just letting you know that neither liquid cooling nor liquid metal is a standard for RDNA 2 graphics cards on PC. PS5 is just unique. :)

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Not in the 120hz mode. It's only for the 60hz mode and those drops are very rare on both consoles, just a bit more often on PS5. On the other hand XSX is frequently dropping frames during combat so those drops won't explain all the difference of framerate.

And as I already said if those drops are because of a CPU bottleneck then those have nothing to do with resolution.
I never said that, not sure what you've quoted to get me on it......look at post 27.

Top Bottom