• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Dirt 5: Xbox Series X Hands-On at 4K60 + 120Hz Modes Tested

djjinx2

The new "Series X Trailer" of Dirt 5 looks good and this whole thing was blown out of proportion.
Fellow Arcade Racer fans, considering our sad situation, can you be ever so slightly more forgiving with this genre?
FFS TBH

I know right. From the makers of Motorstorm and Driveclub, let's not lose them forever.

Dirt 5 looks like a perfect launch pickup.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
But again - the reason it’s an “ugly ass” game is because it’s 120fps.

Actually the reason is that Dirt series were never graphical benchmarks:

They are OK for their purpose, targeting framerate/gameplay more than anything else, and that's the end result when it comes to visuals, the 120FPS is just a bonus that comes from additional power of the upcoming consoles, but the game is made primarily with PS4 and XB1 in mind.

I bet that the PS4 could have run many cross gen (PS3/4) games at full HD 1080p at 120fps (assuming they were 60fps on the PS3 to begin with) if that would have been a thing back then.

Nice, but honestly not what I want from a new generation.

Dibils2k

Actually the reason is that Dirt series were never graphical benchmarks:

They are OK for their purpose, targeting framerate/gameplay more than anything else, and that's the end result when it comes to visuals, the 120FPS is just a bonus that comes from additional power of the upcoming consoles, but the game is made primarily with PS4 and XB1 in mind.

to me, for the time, Dirt 3 was a great looking game. it was also 30fps though

Dural

The new "Series X Trailer" of Dirt 5 looks good and this whole thing was blown out of proportion.
Fellow Arcade Racer fans, considering our sad situation, can you be ever so slightly more forgiving with this genre?
FFS TBH

Yeah, it looks good to me too. Not sure what racing games they're comparing it to, at next gen launch it will be the racing game to get.

chonga

A lot of TVs support it. All 2019 and 2020 LG OLEDs supports 120Hz @4k over HDMI 2.1 already or will soon via a firmware upgrade. Probably other TVs too, and certainly at 1440p @ 120Hz.
Many TVs have 120hz panels, and there's enough HDMI 2.1 TVs to choose from this year if that's what you want to go and buy, but don't kid yourself into thinking there are an abundance of these TVs.

TVs with 120hz panels are high end TVs. Most people do not buy high end TVs, and they tend to keep their TV for many years.

MS even had to send TVs along with the console to some of these people because they didn't have 120hz TVs.

Throwing in a 120 option in games is great for those that would like that. But I do agree with the sentiment of others - it is an odd marketing push when so few people will have access to that content. It'll probably cause a lot of 'why can't I select 120fps mode in this game' comments from the uneducated people not realising they need a 120hz panel TV or that their TV can do 10,000hz because of the fake motion rate numbers manufacturers put out.

OutRun88

This game looks awesome for arcade racing fans, especially rally fans. Not sure why everyone is getting their panties in a twist over a cross-gen launch titles technical feature set. Dirt games, while always looking pretty good, have never been bar setters graphically.

anaphase

So, what's the point of 120FPS when few people have 120hz TVs?

Have you seen the oled thread on here? The X900h?

Plenty of people have 120hz tvs. I myself have two. I'm sure we're in the minority but who cares? You're not being forced to play the 120hz mode. It's a great option to have.

Truespeed

1) You say it's possible for console games to look good at 120fps.
2) You also say there are no examples of this being accomplished, because no console games that look good at 120fps actually exist.
3) Therefore, you cannot know if it's possible for console games to look good at 120fps.

1) Yes
2) Why would there be examples when the consoles capable of it aren't even available?
3) Of course of I know it's possible and nothing you've said invalidates that.

Redlight

1) Yes
2) Why would there be examples when the consoles capable of it aren't even available?
3) Of course of I know it's possible and nothing you've said invalidates that.
It's simple logic that invalidates your statement.
If it has never been done, you cannot be certain that it can be done.

So the 30-40 fps was all a lie as I thought, what a surprise. 120hz with Vsync will mean no screen tearing.

Got to try that mode.
They could have run it multiple times until they happened to get a lucky more stable framerate in one run.

If they can pick tracks, they could have picked the tracks with the most stable framerate out of them all.

Basically everything they said was wrong, which is why I said wait for DF to do it properly 🤣
we need another to confirm or deny. Just because DF says the contrary doesn't mean DF is right.
Drops to 30fps, and 1440p drops vs very few drops to mid 50s and occasional 1800p drop is hardly the same. Since Digital Foundry actually showed the frametime graph I know who I believe.
They could have run it multiple times until they happened to get a lucky more stable framerate in one run.

If they can pick tracks, they could have picked the tracks with the most stable framerate out of them all.

I mean it literally is lol.

At 120fps you have 8ms to do all game calculations and render all of the graphics per frame. At 30fps you have 33ms.

Rumor is gran turismo 7 might reach 120fps 4k, maybe even with ray tracing, unlike this 1440p 120fps game. If it does and looks as good as it does now, WHAT THEN?

skneogaf

Just watched a jackfrags video on the series x and he talks about this game and its 120fps mode, he said it looks great and plays great.

Way too much negative stuff has been said about dirt 5, once you all move on to your next thing to complain about the better as dirt 5 being the very first console racing game to hit 120fps is something we should have praised not moaned about for weeks.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Rumor is gran turismo 7 might reach 120fps 4k, maybe even with ray tracing, unlike this 1440p 120fps game. If it does and looks as good as it does now, WHAT THEN?
Rumoured where? lol If it's 4K and 120fps then it's a previous gen game running in high resolution basically, like this.

Last edited:

Topfuel

we need another to confirm or deny. Just because DF says the contrary doesn't mean DF is right.

GT7 link?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Yeah maybe the day they tested all the other drivers had signs of Covid 19 so they were the only car on the starting line.

OutRun88

Just watched a jackfrags video on the series x and he talks about this game and its 120fps mode, he said it looks great and plays great.

Way too much negative stuff has been said about dirt 5, once you all move on to your next thing to complain about the better as dirt 5 being the very first console racing game to hit 120fps is something we should have praised not moaned about for weeks.
Right there with you. I can’t wait get my hands on this. It looks like a blast.

Riky

$MSFT

Another DF conspiracy theorist, they fixed it for MS🤣

GT7 link?
“I think, display resolution-wise, 4K resolution is enough. Rather than a spatial resolution that you’re talking about, I’m more interested in the advancements we can make in terms of the time resolution. In terms of frames per second, rather than staying at 60 fps, I’m more interested in raising it to 120 fps or even 240 fps. I think that’s what’s going to be changing the experience from here on forward.”

It is likely to have a 120fps mode, either with or without ray tracing. But maybe the reason they used lower resolution ray traced reflections was to get higher framerate.
You mean native 4k at 120fps with RT? Something that even the 3090 can't do?
Yeah, let's wait for that
GT7 is said to use lower resolution checkerboarded ray traced reflections. The 3090 can't do 4k raytracing, but if the raytraced reflections were lower resolution ray traced it'd likely have no problem.

I did a video that pointed out alot more things in spiderman bad and good....like a analysis should do.
Do you do any videos of games you are actually playing or just critiques of DF and other content creators? Say what you want about DF they show their work and in this case they actually played the game. If you were performing similar tests showing superior analysis it could go a long way.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Do you do any videos of games you are actually playing or just critiques of DF and other content creators? Say what you want about DF they show their work and in this case they actually played the game. If you were performing similar tests showing superior analysis it could go a long way.
Pretty sure he exposed the Halo Infinite flaws that were skipped over by DF. Space craft clipping through trees, brutal pop in, lack of light source from lasers, etc.

Stuart360

Gameriot has some exclusive gameplay for XSX from a newer build, and as expected no screen tearing. Vsync is now turned on, as anyone with a brain knew would happen. All the concern trolls can concentrate on something else now.

Last edited:
Gameriot has some exclusive gameplay for XSX from a newer build, and as expected no screen tearing. Vsync is now turned on, as anyone with a brain knew would happen. All the concern trolls can concentrayte on so,methuing else now.

There's nothing next-gen looking about that footage.

MrFunSocks

Banned

It is likely to have a 120fps mode, either with or without ray tracing. But maybe the reason they used lower resolution ray traced reflections was to get higher framerate.

GT7 is said to use lower resolution checkerboarded ray traced reflections. The 3090 can't do 4k raytracing, but if the raytraced reflections were lower resolution ray traced it'd likely have no problem.
Lol don’t listen to kaz. His history of over promising and under delivering is huge.

Yoboman

Gameriot has some exclusive gameplay for XSX from a newer build, and as expected no screen tearing. Vsync is now turned on, as anyone with a brain knew would happen. All the concern trolls can concentrate on something else now.

Is this meant to look better?

Pretty sure he exposed the Halo Infinite flaws that were skipped over by DF. Space craft clipping through trees, brutal pop in, lack of light source from lasers, etc.
The easiest job in the world is to be a critic. Make something better then you can talk. A better exposure video is to do your own technical analysis not attack someone else's.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Only the 120fps mode being v-synced is inexcusable, the tearing in the other modes is atrocious. That needs to be fixed or I'm not buying this game.

Kingthrash

They played demon souls?
They analyzed it.
They played halo....they pretended to analyze that.....why is it ok for them but not me? Race...handsomeness ...culture....your lack of eyesight?....help me understand young jedi.

JLB

Banned
This game looks great and really fun, and in the AR Xbox store is like 8 dollars at the change; kind of a no-brainer.

Last edited:

scalman

dirt 5 is like less next gen game out there so it must run ok on nex consoles or better specs PC's. codemasters plz make new engine for games .

Concern

They played demon souls?
They analyzed it.
They played halo....they pretended to analyze that.....why is it ok for them but not me? Race...handsomeness ...culture....your lack of eyesight?....help me understand young jedi.

So you're a poor man's analyst? Don't have access to anything and just criticize everything df does and fanboy for Sony. Thanks for clearing that up.

I should start up a YouTube criticizing analysts too i guess lol.

Kingthrash

So you're a poor man's analyst? Don't have access to anything and just criticize everything df does and fanboy for Sony. Thanks for clearing that up.

I should start up a YouTube criticizing analysts too i guess lol.
What are you talking about?
I'm the best analyst out there tf....lol....I actually speak to the guys at df lil guy, they acknowledge my work and understand what I'm saying.....just because you out of the loop and feel like you gotta kiss ass in order to get respected doesn't mean I have to. When I talk they listen....because DF learn from me.....not the other way around.

What I speak is facts, and I get respected because of it.....it don't matter what you think....you are a follower talking to a leader.

My advice.....start leading or stay in your lane. Otherwise you look dense.

Last edited:

Concern

What are you talking about?
I'm the best analyst out there tf....lol....I actually speak to the guys at df lil guy, they acknowledge my work and understand what I'm saying.....just because you out of the loop and feel like you gotta kiss ass in order to get respected doesn't mean I have to. When I talk they listen....because DF learn from me.....not the other way around.

What I speak is facts, and I get respected because of it.....it don't matter what you think....you are a follower talking to a leader.

My advice.....start leading or stay in your lane. Otherwise you look dense.

With 9.77k subscribers and no access to anything lol. What kinda leader are you supposed to be? Just another fanboy with an inflated ego.

Kingthrash

With 9.77k subscribers and no access to anything lol. What kinda leader are you supposed to be? Just another fanboy with an inflated ego.
😂😂😂😂😂 wait....you think numbers make a difference??
Thats problem#1 my guy.

Ask yourself......why is a channel under 10k subs getting respect from channels with over 1 million?

Kingthrash

Just released a video of watchdogs yesterday...doing a live analysis. So yeah...always

Emet_bp

Sorry for refresh, but... I'm suprised that there's still no comparison after the last update (from DF or anybody else) :pie_thinking:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sorry for refresh, but... I'm suprised that there's still no comparison after the last update (from DF or anybody else) :pie_thinking:
I don't know about the Xbox version but i bought the ps5 version yesterday and there is really bad stuttering in the image quality mode. It happens in random areas with no other cars and while switching to prioritize framerate mode fixed some of them, i still noticed them from time to time. No one mentioned this is their comparisons so I'm guessing it's a new issue.

I don't like the prioritize framerate mode because there is pop in. I really hope they didn't break the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom