• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Dirt 5: Xbox Series X Hands-On at 4K60 + 120Hz Modes Tested

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
To me it looks like a ps4/Xbox one game ported over with very little effort. Gameplay is probably great.

I reserve final judgment for in person play though, unlikely, but maybe the videos online just aren't doing it justice. I think I saw one video from one place that looked a lot better than the others, maybe it was just that level/track.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
To me it looks like a ps4/Xbox one game ported over with very little effort. Gameplay is probably great.
thats exactly what it is. its no different than any other third party game launching with the consoles. straight port, higher res and framerate and thats about it. And tbh, thats ok considering the fact that they are making 8 different versions of this game for xbox one, ps4, xbox one x, ps4 pro, pc, xsx, xss and ps5.

If anything, the 120 fps mode is something that shows that they put extra effort into the next gen versions. no other cross gen game is doing this. AC Valhalla, watch dogs, cod cold war, and all other cross gen games are not launching with a 120 fps option. cyberpunk and avengers have delayed their next gen versions until next year.

even the 4k quality mode has differences between the 4k performance mode. You get better shadows and more crowd detail in 4k quality mode.

people are being way too harsh on this game.

Last edited:
Do you even have eyes? Can't you see the tearing? Wanna help? Here:

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-17h10m09s251.png

LOL, how is this a next-gen game? Look at how UGLY shit in the distance looks!

djjinx2

Console Wars are SAVAGE.
This game will look great racing along at 60fps. Who looks at a still image on a racing game. Driveclub was the same and I loved it.

Sounds, effects and sense of speed on point. Add a good handling model and we are set. Will pick this up day one to show Rushy some support!

Allandor

I mean it literally is lol.

At 120fps you have 8ms to do all game calculations and render all of the graphics per frame. At 30fps you have 33ms.
Also, there are many gamers out there that buy expensive hardware, but reduce details etc to reach 120 fps or even more.
In these modes, it is not about how pretty it looks, it is about how fluent the game is and reduce reaction time and lag.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm sure someone will use that 8 extra ms to be a better driver. Please ignore the 100ms latency from other sources....

Truespeed

At 120fps you have 8ms to do all game calculations and render all of the graphics per frame. At 30fps you have 33ms.

If their intent was to make a game that looks like ass 120 asses per second then they nailed it. This is what happens when you don't have the tech and/or horsepower and/or optimization to sustain a proper visual style / art direction and are forced to make compromise after compromise just to hit your frame budget.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If their intent was to make a game that looks like ass 120 asses per second then they nailed it. This is what happens when you don't have the tech and/or horsepower and/or optimization to sustain a proper visual style / art direction and are forced to make compromise after compromise just to hit your frame budget.
You clearly are in way over your head here.

Compromises HAVE to be made to run a game at 120fps. They literally have to. If your render pipeline and game calculations take more than 8ms to get a frame out the door then you have to compromise. Most games budget 33ms to get a frame out. To run that same game at 60fps they have to compromise. To run it at 120fps they need to compromise even further.

What exactly is a "proper visual style / art direction" btw?

Truespeed

You clearly are in way over your head here.

Really? Because it seems to me you're the one in the deep end with a slow leaking arm float.

Compromises HAVE to be made to run a game at 120fps. They literally have to. If your render pipeline and game calculations take more than 8ms to get a frame out the door then you have to compromise. Most games budget 33ms to get a frame out. To run that same game at 60fps they have to compromise. To run it at 120fps they need to compromise even further.

I don't think you've actually grasped what I've said. With the exception of simple division, you don't seem to comprehend that you can make a good looking game at 120 fps that doesn't look as bad as this game.

What exactly is a "proper visual style / art direction" btw?

Assets a good art team comes up with to compliment a game that needs to render in 8ms.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Really? Because it seems to me you're the one in the deep end with a slow leaking arm float.

I don't think you've actually grasped what I've said. With the exception of simple division, you don't seem to comprehend that you can make a good looking game as 120 fps that doesn't look as bad as this game.

Assets a good art team comes up with to compliment a game that needs to render in 8ms.
What other locked 120fps console games have we got so far?

Truespeed

What other locked 120fps console games have we got so far?

Why are you moving the goal post? I, and others, said this game looks bad. You then replied that it's because it's 120 fps [so it has a license to look like ass]. And then I said that it is possible to make a 120 fps that does look good. And then you said [but, but 8ms 8ms 8ms 8ms 8ms 8ms 8ms].

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why are you moving the goal post? I, and others, said this game looks bad. You then replied that it's because it's 120 fps [so it has a license to look like ass]. And then I said that it is possible to make a 120 fps that does look good. And then you said [but, but 8ms 8ms 8ms 8ms 8ms 8ms 8ms].
I'm not moving the goal posts. You say it's possible to make a 120fps game that looks "good", so give me some examples. Give me some examples of a "good" looking 120fps console game. Shouldn't be hard at all :)

For running at a locked 120fps, I think this game looks very good. If it ran at 60? Borderline decent, but it is also cross gen. 30? Nah, terrible.

Last edited:

Truespeed

I'm not moving the goal posts.

Goose, you need to punch out.

You say it's possible to make a 120fps game that looks "good", so give me some examples. Give me some examples of a "good" looking 120fps console game. Shouldn't be hard at all :)

Yes, I said it's possible. So what does that have to do with providing you an example of next gen games for consoles that haven't been released? Nothing, of course.

For running at a locked 120fps, I think this game looks very good. If it ran at 60? Borderline decent, but it is also cross gen. 30? Nah, terrible.

And some of don't agree with you. Is that so difficult to accept?

There are sacrifices with frame rates. The game looks great to me at 60fps. You really have to see it in 60fps HD capture to get a feel for it. Looks good.

I waited until I could watch this on my 4K TV and it looks... good? Calling this a mobile game you need new eyes lmao

120hz mode looks a bit rough because it's only 1080p but it still looks fine... definitely not like a mobile game.

Max_Po

Banned
Do you have some kind of motion interpolation on? This looks annoying, now I don't want an OLED TV anymore!

The reason it is happening on his OLED is because he is not using GAME MODE and has "Smooth Motion" on which artificially tries to insert frames to make the game looks smoother.

I have an OLED c7 55 inch.

Just because he can get an OLED and express his ePeen does not mean he knows what the fuck he is talking about.

Last edited:
The reason it is happening on his OLED is because he is not using GAME MODE and has "Smooth Motion" on which artificially tries to insert frames to make the game looks smoother.

I have an OLED c7 55 inch.

Just because he can get an OLED and express his ePeen does not mean he knows what the fuck he is talking about.

This seems like a weird mistake for DF to make.

skneogaf

Most of us with monitors would still prefer a game run at 60 if it means it isn't as ugly as shit smeared on the screen.

This game has 60fps options and guess what it definitely looks better than what you described it as.

I really wish this game would have been announced on PS5 first as all the negative comments about its looks would not exist.

Fanatics are the worst thing about video games.

This game has 60fps options and guess what it definitely looks better than what you described it as.

I really wish this game would have been announced on PS5 first as all the negative comments about its looks would not exist.

I'm unaware of what platform it was announced first for and am judging the game based on my eyeballs not some console loyalty. That you go to that argument so easily makes me suspicious of your motivations for defending it, though.

Redlight

Yes, I said it's possible. So what does that have to do with providing you an example of next gen games for consoles that haven't been released? Nothing, of course.
1) You say it's possible for console games to look good at 120fps.
2) You also say there are no examples of this being accomplished, because no console games that look good at 120fps actually exist.
3) Therefore, you cannot know if it's possible for console games to look good at 120fps.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just saw the series x trailer released today, my eyes coukd be tricking me but I swear it looks a lot better than the videos from a week or 2 ago.

sendit

Wait...you think this game is getting negative press because it wasn't announced on PS5 first? :messenger_loudly_crying:
NTR34gD.jpg

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I just don't believe this looks like "shit smeared on the screen" as it has been compared to.

The comments are exactly why we have had 30fps in particular video games instead of 60fps.
JmQQFsJ.jpg

t2cutbK.jpg
Exactly. People like we see in this thread are the reason why developers like Insomniac went from a strict "all games are 60fps because it plays better" to "60fps? lol no, we did that and people just complained that the graphics weren't good enough, so 30fps is it!".

If you take a new game you're going to make, you can make it look better (30fps) or play better (60fps). You cannot do both. There is a compromise. No matter how good you make it look at 60fps, it would look better at 30fps.

Exactly. People like we see in this thread are the reason why developers like Insomniac went from a strict "all games are 60fps because it plays better" to "60fps? lol no, we did that and people just complained that the graphics weren't good enough, so 30fps is it!".

If you take a new game you're going to make, you can make it look better (30fps) or play better (60fps). You cannot do both. There is a compromise. No matter how good you make it look at 60fps, it would look better at 30fps.

Nice goalpost shift moving from 120 vs 60 to 60 vs 30. How many people have been clamoring for games at 120 FPS? It's a very small portion of the market.

Whitecrow

Banned

I think that he meant that if you are gonna make an ugly ass game, dont do a 120 fps mode.

The gameplay may be great but the assets and enviroments are nothing nextgen.

djjinx2

Good thing for people in this thread hating 120fps graphics.

There's a 60fps mode with better graphics.

I mean people keep posting that image with screen tearing like it's the final game.

All hating on graphics of an old demo. At least pick something terrible from the new trailer which has clearly been improved alot already and we are no where near release for next gen. Day 1 patch will help as well.

A month at crunch time when all the game needs now is sorting out last few GFX features and some polish, things will look alot better.

Good thing for people in this thread hating 120fps graphics.

There's a 60fps mode with better graphics.

I mean people keep posting that image with screen tearing like it's the final game.

All hating on graphics of an old demo. At least pick something terrible from the new trailer which has clearly been improved alot already and we are no where near release for next gen. Day 1 patch will help as well.

A month at crunch time when all the game needs now is sorting out last few GFX features and some polish, things will look alot better.

Are we not allowed to have opinions on how the game looks based on the video the thread is for now? lol

Top Bottom