• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/Eurogamer: First Xbox 3 Devkit leaks, 8 Core Intel CPU, nvidia GPU, 8-12GB RAM

DCharlie

Banned
Don't listen to them, the nextbox and PS4 WILL be more powerful than a current day $3000 gaming PC and even do things they cannot, and at a fraction of the cost besides.

Would you know my specs
If I said i was nextgen?
Would you guess the frames
If I said i was nextgen?
I must be strong
powered by top end Radeon
'Lol of course I know that don't belong
here in next-gen

Would you hold my negcon
If I saw you in nextgen?
Would you help me install
If I saw you in nextgen?
I'll find my way
mandated online for play
'Cause I know I just can't stay
here in nextgen

nextgen can bring you down, nextgen has online fees
nextgen can break your heart, less than 680's
less than 680s

Beyond retinooor
there's displaytech I'm sure
And I know there'll be lots of 30fps/720....
in next gen

Would you buy my game
now I released it on nextgen?
it's largely the same
but now it requires an internet connection
We must be strong
against pirated COD-ation
Cause I know gamers don't belong
here in nextgen

you are full of it. but then that's what internet forums are for...
I don't really understand this kind of criticism; as I'm juggling the hell of me to explain my point (not a native speaker too, so being understood is not always a walk in the park) to be met with a reply like this that tells me essentially nothing about why I'm wrong/what your point of view is.

I come to forums to read and discuss things so I'm always open for constructive criticism and other points of view than mine; sometimes I even realize I was wrong, did neglegect to think of something or that someone else's point also makes a lot of sense. This is not the case as I'm left not knowing what triggered such response. Still, thank you for the feedback.
I think average transfer speed is more relevant than peak read speeds in his example. But I get what he was trying to say.
I know I didn't take into account average transfer rates, but the way forums work, neogaf in particular doesn't give me much time with google to press reply and still be relevant (and I still edit pretty much all my posts later on, as I only re-read them after pressing submit; a bad habit of mine). Maximum transfer rate data is more freely available so I went with it, should still be comparable as long as the criteria is constant throughout all the data, as they're all 12 cm disc drives.

Thanks for understanding my point, I know I'm simplifying big variants a lot (real drive average speed, the way loadings work too, although I pointed that out pre-emptively) but in doing so my point is that there's a proportion that can be pointed out in a abstract way. Abstract because it's never as linear as one can make it to be.

specs-1.jpg

Xbox Durango and Playstation Orbis have both changed recently...

Durango -> "I don't know the name"
4 Power7 cores + 2 ARM cores(2010) -> 4 AMD Jaguar cores(2012)
48+16 VLIW4 SPs(2010) -> 192 GCN SPs(2012)

Orbis -> Thebe-Jaguar
4 AMD Steamroller cores(2011) -> 4 AMD Jaguar cores(2012)
128 GCN SPs(2011) -> 192 GCN SPs(2012)
(year) is the date it was changed to...

Sony's version will be optimized for SonyGL 3.0/OpenGL 4.2
Microsoft's version will be optimized for DirectX 11.1

The Jaguar SoC for both consoles will not be the same as the Jaguar SoC for consumers.
AMD Jaguar vs Sony/Microsoft Jaguar
H1 2013 vs H1 2014
LP-DDR3/DDR3 vs DDR4(estimated clock is 2133 MHz 10-10-10-20 1.2v)
For x86 consumer markets vs specialized versions tweaked for each company
HSA 3/4ths vs HSA Complete

Jaguar 4c SoC: ~$50
2 Sticks of DDR4: ~$100
Raytracer: ~$150
Design packaging: $50

~$450 isn't bad...

I like the fact that it says something about a Raytracer
Any reason we should believe this? What's that Raytracer part... that can't be real?

I'm getting tired of all these new insider sources and leaked specs :-/ One of them is probably real but it's like the boy who cried wolf, you start questioning everything.

triggaz

Banned
If there's a system with 8 GB of RAM and that RAM pool gets tapped (and not, say, using half the amount to cache the next area) then I don't see other way specially seeing textures already have compression; I don't know how're the roadmaps for optical drive's, but they're too slow to feed a 8 GB of RAM machine in a consistent way right now.

If mandatory installs are prohibited (or the HDD isn't standard) then they might do two paths to run the game, one with install and the other without it; with one loading lesser quality textures than the other; this not being good for the end user experience. (and adding development time on a feature that will get criticized for it's implementation anyway)

But there are too many unpredictable factors at play; one of them is the fact that texture resolution/detail costs money so if there's only one console this generation with a ram pool that big they might not deem it necessary to invest that extra money on assets; instead throwing better available textures here and there and where it generally makes a difference and such asset had to be downgraded to fit on *insert console name* ram pool in the final tuning phase; they might also opt for bigger, albeit more compressed resolution textures trying to counter slow transfer rates but still maintaining high resolution textures, or they can attempt to texture swap preliminary low res textures by higher resolution samples as you get closer to them, although that's typically a way to juggle with the fact you have little RAM, not because your transfer rate is so slow that you want to get the level running before you had everything with those pristine clear textures loaded.

Then you have other problems, Imagine you have a PS4/Wii U game sitting at 25 GB, say, a game with scope like Final Fantasy; if it sits at 25 GB in console's with a smaller RAM pool then chances are you can't really improve on it significantly without going for the next big thing, 50 GB.

Now, this might seem like a small factor, but publishers are usually very stingy at multiple layered solutions, as seen on PS2 and wii. Some early PS2 games shipped on CD's because "damn these DVD discs are expensive!" and not many developers wanted to bite the dual layer bullet with urban legends saying square-enix did everything for Kingdom Hearts 2 not to ship in dual layer because of the added cost involved; nonetheless everyone strayed from it because it eroded from their profit margin. cross platform games being 50 GB discs on Xbox next and 25 GB on PS4/Wii U is not really attractive, so the question is wether regular games will be in confortabily in the 10/15 GB margin for 2/4 GB ram pool hardware or topping out that 25 GB capacity.

The trade-off for even 4GB can be severe seeing optical drives are really lacking in transfer rates, so a lot of developers might really opt in a linear navigation game to pre-fetch load the next area into the RAM as a background task as a means to shave off time before you reach the loading point. Metroid Prime style.

Couple of points.

You are putting way to much emphasis on textires memory is used for other things as well. Animations being a primary.

Games now are already requiring mandatory installs on Ps3 and even on xbox you have games telling you to install before hand BF3 and GR:FS are recent examples with Halo 4 requiring 8 gigs for multiplayer. So next gen I see that as a more common route for developers.

They are already building assests with high end textures and just down porting . Thats why the cost to develope next gen isnt expected to be as high as a jump finacially as it was last time. They assets are already being built this way.

So thats not gonna be a cause for devs to not max out textures on the higher end machines. It will just be compressed more for the weaker hardware. Besides the next xbox is gonna come out first with cross plat form tool set so just like this gen the xbox will at least start as the primarylatform along with PC.

B.O.O.M

Can someone please give an ultra simplified comparison between the two specs of the system? Would be very grateful as I have no idea what most of you guys are talking about

So going by those specs which console is looking to have the most horsepower? I'm absolutley clueless about tech talk so I have no idea if these specs are revealing enough or not.

I can't imagine one of the next-gen consoles having a $150 Raytracer part. That post is probably fake.

DCharlie

Banned
both PS4 and X720 will be defined by the "value added" peripherals/components/software.

the console itself is going to be half the story for ALL THREE console players this gen.

Zabka

Can someone please give an ultra simplified comparison between the two specs of the system? Would be very grateful as I have no idea what most of you guys are talking about

One system goes like this: Nyar nyar nyarrrrr
The other system goes: Do do doo doo dooooo
Wii U goes like this: Bwomp bwomp

1) Installation
2) Digital Delivery
3) Wait 2.5 minutes
4) Hidden stream of data( cutscene, menu, in game streaming, etc )
5) flash memory support for gaming
6) different optic support (and transfer rate ) for gaming purpose than a conventional BR disk

i'd like to have a 8 GB of ram to "fill" and make a 10 minutes installation than NOT have 8 GB ram and get stuck with only 2GB for an entire gen

That´s my man. I agree with you.

At the moment, it looks like the Xbox 3 will be equivalent to a goose and the PS4 equivilant to a gander.

B.O.O.M

Thank u for the insightful answers >_>

obviously I mean going by the rumors. But I guess it's too much hard work to give a decent answer around here for some

Guess I will see next E3

Has anyone heard of The Sandia Cooler? About 5 minutes into the video the guy says that it's been licensed for a "CPU cooling solution" or something like that. These consoles are going to need some kind of semi-advanced cooling solutions unless they want them to be the size of a cable box. Probably way too expensive but what did the RROD cost MS? A couple of billion?

Has anyone heard of The Sandia Cooler? About 5 minutes into the video the guy says that it's been licensed for a "CPU cooling solution" or something like that. These consoles are going to need some kind of semi-advanced cooling solutions unless they want them to be the size of a cable box. Probably way too expensive but what did the RROD cost MS? A couple of billion?

Just one billion.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

MS learned their lesson hardcore.

I don't think it will be an issue anymore.

I've posted in threads to do with Durango a few times, and I'd like to repeat what I've heard down the grapevine once more. I have been told that the target specs are an x86 CPU with 8 low speed cores, a high end AMD GPU, and 8GB of RAM. 2 of these cores, and 3GB of RAM are dedicated to the OS.

I don't know who StevieP and BGs sources are but they are saying similar things to mine. I was told these specs months before anyone even dreamed that they would be this high and was ridiculed when I posted them (by StevieP and BG), so when even they have changed their tune you know it is likely to be true.

Nobody will out their source because we don't want anyone to get fired over this shit.

If true and the gpu is indeed a really good one i would like that machine.

fritolay

I've posted in threads to do with Durango a few times, and I'd like to repeat what I've heard down the grapevine once more. I have been told that the target specs are an x86 CPU with 8 low speed cores, a high end AMD GPU, and 8GB of RAM. 2 of these cores, and 3GB of RAM are dedicated to the OS.

I don't know who StevieP and BGs sources are but they are saying similar things to mine. I was told these specs months before anyone even dreamed that they would be this high and was ridiculed when I posted them (by StevieP and BG), so when even they have changed their tune you know it is likely to be true.

Nobody will out their source because we don't want anyone to get fired over this shit.

I remember everyone saying how crazy these specs were and that it would be a $600 system. Then current XBOX 360 subscription model came and some lights came on. Cutting edge phones are in that price range, but does MS have the balls to do it.

Also, if MS and Sony primarily rely on die shrinks to get prices down where they are profitable after system introduction, isn't there some concern this gen this won't happen as much as previous systems? -> NVidia 22nm worthless article.

1) Installation
2) Digital Delivery
3) Wait 2.5 minutes
4) Hidden stream of data( cutscene, menu, in game streaming, etc )
5) flash memory support for gaming
6) different optic support (and transfer rate ) for gaming purpose than a conventional BR disk

i'd like to have a 8 GB of ram to "fill" and make a 10 minutes installation than NOT have 8 GB ram and get stuck with only 2GB for an entire gen
Don't the rumored specs for PS4 exclude it from having a standard HDD instead having a measly 16 GB of storage?

I think console generations work as a three legged race; to define a standard you need at least two manufacturers tied to each other running for the same goal with the same approach; otherwise developers won't go that extra mile just for one console. In this case installs so the game has better textures/graphics.

Different optic support and transfer rate, what do you suggest? They have to use what's coming/available, if there's no breakthrough then there's no solution.
You are putting way to much emphasis on textires memory is used for other things as well. Animations being a primary.

OEM also seems to play a big part at keeping next gen hardware costs down.
Forgot to mention animations, I really thought I was missing something that takes space.

But it was accounted for nonetheless even if I didn't think of it specifically, I talked about other things taking ram space rather than textures, streaming data and the like when laying down the generalization I was making.

The point was to suggest a pattern in order to be able to work on top of it as a means to make a point; not quantify it in anyway, so of course suggesting a game will load the full RAM amount for a segment is as big of a generalization as it can be made. Problem is I can't really think of a better way to do it; it's a means to an end.
Games now are already requiring mandatory installs on Ps3 and even on xbox you have games telling you to install before hand BF3 and GR:FS are recent examples with Halo 4 requiring 8 gigs for multiplayer. So next gen I see that as a more common route for developers.
I don't know about that, PS4 is thought to have only 16 GB of storage; Wii U 8 GB; which is not much if it's gonna get used for that. I'm sure a part of it will be used as a scratch disk, as even the wii had 64 MB of the flash bank that could be used for that; and optional installs should be allowed still for external drives and the like; but not so sure about it being the absolute standard/something developers will go for from the get go (providing the PS4 16 GB information is right).

I think next generation standard is as dependent of the route sony goes for as Microsoft's. Obligatory hard drive standard having a price; and without it doing things like obligatory installs from the get go is risky.
They are already building assests with high end textures and just down porting . Thats why the cost to develope next gen isnt expected to be as high as a jump finacially as it was last time. They assets are already being built this way.
Depends. I'm sure PC developers develop that way, somewhat independent from the target platforms (and their console versions are a task of fitting it in there), but I'm not so sure about console exclusive endeavours/lower end developers and japanese developers (with some exceptions) I mean I'm sure they draw their art a bit over the resolution or might compress this and that more in order to fit the console in the end having better quality masters; but I doubt they're working as if they expect the game to look great at some extra high resolution.

But of course, this is conjecture. I agree the price shouldn't jump as much as last time (hell no), but everything has a cost involved. I'm not a game developer but I'm an artist/designer so even if I pretty much always work in high resolution modes if I know it's gonna be seen on a monitor screen alone rather than printed or seen in high resolution then I can mask and slack off on a lot of details.

Have you ever got your hands on videogame asset art in editable psd's and took the time to dissect it? It's often full of defects steaming from not being meant to be seen at that resolution so the designer thought he could get away with it. It's very high resolution, but it's meant to be shrunk down; it's simpler/cheaper to clean up that high resolution rendition for consumption rather than starting over but it takes extra time.

But this is a very complex criteria; I'm not meaning to dwell on it too much, there's realistic textures, drawn assets, HUD, all kinds of variants depending on the game we're talking about. (and my example was regarding drawn assets)
So thats not gonna be a cause for devs to not max out textures on the higher end machines. It will just be compressed more for the weaker hardware. Besides the next xbox is gonna come out first with cross plat form tool set so just like this gen the xbox will at least start as the primarylatform along with PC.
I'm sure the development environment and tools will help, but I'm also sure it'll still mean an initial development cost increment for some developers and extra time spent on textures if they want it to look flawless; more texture resolution always has a cost. Also, current PC's often have 8 GB and up, but that doesn't mean they're using them effectively, too many things holding them back (disc medium still being dvd also playing a part); having a console with 8 GB is a different beast altogether.

Even if we can control texture detail like that I think one will have to take into account the optical drive's transfer speed; it's not as you can just turn the knob up to maximum and walk away.

Proelite

The article from 2011 that got both code names right way, way before anyone else. Interesting enough Durango was stated to have 8 core Intel CPU rated at 1.2 Tflops. We've come around full circle. It seems like the ram though has been majorly upgraded.

pastebin said:
So, apparently, a lot of game developers have recently received the new PS4 and XBox 3 specifications so they can be ready when the prototype devkits drop. And I got ahold of them.

I tried to leak them to Engadget, but they weren't going to print it without independent confirmation, and no one is going to confirm this shit because they like their jobs. But being a jobless student, I figured someone should get some laughter out of this. So, here's the rundown.

No firm date has been set for either, but currently they are stating that they are both setting to launch for the Holiday season in 2013. Codename of XB3 is "Durango". PS4 Codename is "Orbis".

Both consoles are going to have Blu-Ray, with support for Single-Layer and Dual-layer, and higher-fidelity versions of their current motion control systems.

The X-Box 3 is going to have an 8-core 64-bit processor (assumedly an i7 or similar design) rated at 1.2 Teraflops. The PS4 will feature a 4-core 32-bit processor. XB3 will be using a GPU running support for DirectX 11, while the PS4 will be using an OpenGL 4 GPU. XB3 is specified to use 4 GB RAM, and the PS4 will be shipped with 2GB.

Specifications state that the PS4 will have *NO* hard drive by default, while the XB3 will come with a 500GB Hard Drive with 8GB of Flash memory. The XB3 will also have a 24/7 connectivity system which has not been entirely elaborated on, with coming support for cloud-based connectivity in 2015/2016.

Why do I have this? Well, let's just say that some major developers like EA games are currently very pissed because the PS4 specs are shitty compared to the next XBox and besides limiting their abilities in making more impressive games for the new Playstation, it's also going to shit up cross-platform titles in the same way that the lack of Blu-ray and Standard Hard Drive did with the XBox this generation, and Sony's not listening to their pleas for less shitty hardware. Right now, programmers are pretty much looking at it and comparing the two consoles like one is a high-end gaming PC and the other's a piece of shit eMachines unit from Walmart's $200 special (including monitor).

EDIT: The prototype PS4's will start hitting developers around Q3 2012.

The article from 2011 that got both code names right way, way before anyone else. Interesting enough Durango was stated to have 8 core Intel CPU rated at 1.2 Tflops. We've come around full circle. It seems like the ram though has been majorly upgraded.

Whoa I forgot about that article. So that's now 3 major things it's gotten right (Durango name, Orbis name, 8-core 64-bit CPU). This is the only rumor that's really panned out.

No. The leaked/fabricated spec list had HDD for all SKUs. The 16GB flash memory was for the OS.
I see. Me and fast reading stuff, current rumors speak of 16 GB storage and a hard drive, older rumors said no hard drive, when I saw 16 GB storage I assumed that was the hard drive; like with the Vita; rest being user-installable.

Big ass obligatory installs still don't seem that appealing to me; but that's a viable solution that way.

I have a doubt though; why are we saying Microsoft Durango now has 8 GB? Is it just from the lousy article that served as this thread firestarter? I continue to find it unlikely based on what has been said before, too many bottlenecks in accommodating it, too many chips, higher price/harder to pricedrop. (the dev kit seeming very early, but 8-12 GB on a dev kit could mean 4-6 GB on the actual console, rather than going for 8 GB; even 6 GB seems to much to me). If it's just from that I'm assuming they'll go 4 GB rather than 8 GB.

Right now, programmers are pretty much looking at it and comparing the two consoles like one is a high-end gaming PC and the other's a piece of shit eMachines unit from Walmart's $200 special (including monitor).

lolz. Gotta love pastebin.

pastebin said:
Why do I have this? Well, let's just say that some major developers like EA games are currently very pissed because the PS4 specs are shitty compared to the next XBox and besides limiting their abilities in making more impressive games for the new Playstation, it's also going to shit up cross-platform titles in the same way that the lack of Blu-ray and Standard Hard Drive did with the XBox this generation, and Sony's not listening to their pleas for less shitty hardware. Right now, programmers are pretty much looking at it and comparing the two consoles like one is a high-end gaming PC and the other's a piece of shit eMachines unit from Walmart's $200 special (including monitor).
Guessing they're not all that keen on considering Wii U as part of the next gen/something that could be their low end denominator fallback. (not good for future cross platform prospects)

It kinda sucks that these companies think manufacturers have to loose money to please them; Orbis specs look fine to me seeing they have to make a profit and hopefully have the leeway to compete with Nintendo's pricing. Power isn't all; instead of pushing Sony into bankrupcy they should be thinking that if they go for the middle range price they might actually have a shot.

Guessing they're not all that keen on considering Wii U as part of the next gen/something that could be their low end denominator fallback. (not good for future cross platform prospects)

It kinda sucks that these companies think manufacturers have to loose money to please them; Orbis specs look fine to me seeing they have to make a profit and hopefully have the leeway to compete with Nintendo's pricing.

The irony is developer's hate the results of the long generation, but they can't seem to comphrehend that their own pleas for power are the very reason MS and Sony have not launched new HW. Sony still is nowhere near making up for the first few years' loss.

So..is this good? I feel like a caveman sometimes when it comes to "specs" and whatnot. It sounds okay. I think.
we have no real specs; the article's devkit is a workstation who is indicative of the architecture they're going with (x86) but not much else.

Intel or AMD x86 CPU, AMD or Nvidia GPU; they're kinda interchangeable until the console ships. Number of core's and RAM amount might be more telling, but there's always a twist to it; with RAM devkits often having double the RAM the final system will have just so running unoptimized code is easier for devs.

They seem okay, yes.

Fjordson

we have no real specs; the article's devkit is a workstation who is indicative of the architecture they're going with (x86) but not much else.

Intel or AMD CPU, AMD or Nvidia GPU; they're kinda interchangeable until the console ships. Number of core's and RAM amount might be more telling, but there's always a twist to it; with RAM devkits often having double the RAM the final system will have just so running unoptimized code is easier for devs.
Ah, okay. Thanks.

All we learned is that Nvidia is in the picture. So one system will use FXAA the other will not.

FXAA can be a blessing or a curse.

Considering how often people use FXAA injectors to improve graphics within these forums. It seems like it'd be welcomed. It has made my Darksiders, Skyrim and KOA experience much more visually pleasing on my HDTV.

Ryoku

All we learned is that Nvidia is in the picture. So one system will use FXAA the other will not.

Considering how often people use FXAA injectors to improve graphics in these forums. It seems like it'd be welcomed.

Blurry as fuck FXAA on already bad image quality? D:

Majanew

Banned

Considering how often people use FXAA injectors to improve graphics within these forums. It seems like it'd be welcomed. It has made my Darksiders, Skyrim and KOA experience much more visually pleasing on my HDTV.

Xbox 360 is ATi and Halo 4 uses FXAA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How does TXAA, introduced with Kepler, compare to FXAA in the blur department? I realise that TXAA must be supported in-engine, but if the Nextbox does indeed use an nvidia GPU, and it's superior to FXAA in most/all respects, we could see it gradually increase in popularity.

The irony is developer's hate the results of the long generation, but they can't seem to comphrehend that their own pleas for power are the very reason MS and Sony have not launched new HW. Sony still is nowhere near making up for the first few years' loss.
True.

Then again it's also not the only factor; I think it's not about power anymore (it really never was, but power used to do more of a difference than it does now to the point having that extra power could be the difference between such game being possible or not), most consumers aren't saying X360 graphics suck at this point because they're good enough and will continue to be when the next generation ships; making consumers migrate to a new platform that way is not easy as they don't see enough "new" going for it. New hardware are not the closet to Narnia anymore for the consumer. And the software takes more time than it took before.

A slow start for a games platform though is not something most manufacturers want to go through, hence why Nintendo pissed it's pants completely at the thought of having a second generation perfecting the wiimote (generations up until here have been introducing something and then perfecting it; for example snes/genesis acted as a 2D encore, PSone/N64/Saturn introduced 3D; but the next gen spent it's existence perfecting it). Going by that, a next gen wii should have stuck to the paradigm and deliver on it; but it would be more of the same and thus harder to sell so they went for the next big thing they could muster.

It's getting harder and harder to sell hardware and maintain momentum for new hardware.

FXAA is not vendor specific. Any GPU with modern shaders is capable of applying FXAA.

As I've mentioned before things can always change, but I forgot about this infamous quote.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-XBox-720-Xbox-720-Avatar-Graphics-Neal-Robison,13095.html

Technology company AMD, who supplied the graphics hardware for the Xbox 360, claims that the next Xbox will be capable of the level of graphical detail seen in James Cameron's movie Avatar.

Any reason we should believe this? What's that Raytracer part... that can't be real?

The raytracer part definitely makes it tough to believe along with MS and Sony using the same SoC. I would have believed it more if that was only about PS4, but at the same time it suggests that Sony is using DDR4 which adds to the problems I have with it.

So..is this good? I feel like a caveman sometimes when it comes to "specs" and whatnot. It sounds okay. I think.

Yeah, it's really good. 8-core CPU, 8 gb ram. Remember the huge thread about Crytek and Epic wanting 8 gb of ram and pages of people laughing it off and saying how it was a pipe dream and ridiculous and all that. Well so much for that... there's probably quite a few gems in that thread.

It's not guaranteed to be 8 gigs but it's trending that way. I would've been happy with just 4. Eight does seem like overkill but maybe MS needs it for the OS, Kinect, multi-tasking, I dunno.

Top Bottom