• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Fallout 4 - PS4 Pro patch vs. Boost Mode (unpatched)

Vashetti

Banned
Fallout 4's new PS4 pro update has landed. As promised by Bethesda's blog, patch 1.14 (also known as 1.9) pushes the game to a native 1440p, adding in expanded draw distances and a higher grade god ray effect. It also improves frame-rates compared to a regular PS4, but we're still some way off a 30fps lock. However there's a twist: by using patches earlier than 1.14, and selecting PS4 Pro's boost mode option, it's possible to achieve smoother results than Bethesda's official patch - although all other Pro enhancements are obviously left off the table.

As luck would have it, we had another PS4 Pro in the Digital Foundry office without Fallout 4's Pro patch installed - specifically, patch 1.12. To be clear, this features no visual upgrades whatsoever, where draw distances, resolution and lighting are exactly as they were on base PS4 hardware. However, the frame-rate results are fascinating when compared to 1.14, and it turns out Fallout 4 does indeed run faster on boost mode without the latest patch installed. In our stress test on the Corvega rooftops for example, the dips to 23fps seen patch 1.14 are eliminated, leaving us with a clean 30fps line on patch 1.12 - provided boost mode is checked, of course.

More:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-fallout-4-ps4-pro-patch-analysis

BigEmil

Bethesda performance optimisation no care just slap on some added visuals on top and call it a day visuals screenshots sells can't see performance on screenshots

Stupid. Skyrim runs worse on the Pro too.
Fallout 4 runs and looks better on Pro, even with Pro Patch. There are however some spots on the PS4 Pro version that had better performance without the latest Fallout 4 patch. Not worth the loss in IQ though imo.

Rellik

The pro patch improves frame rates over the non-pro version, along with improved resolution and draw distance.

It's a pretty solid patch, actually.

Did you read the OP? Boost Mode makes it run smoother than the Pro patch, but there's no official option to allow us to run it with the smoother update.

This needs to be a thing. We shouldn't be getting patches that makes the framerate worse.

A pro patch with the same enhancements but with a 1080p resolution instead of 1440p would have been great

This should be an option too if it affects framerate. The changes to god rays, foliage density, and draw distance probably had a bigger impact on framerate than resolution.

Ferr986

Yep. There really needs to be a system wide option to disable Pro patches.

or more like have a resolution mode and framerate mode, like in some games (or 1080p and 4k modes). If it had a 1080p mode the game would run better and look better than non patch boost mode.

Did you read the OP? Boost Mode makes it run smoother than the Pro patch, but there's no official option to allow us to run it with the smoother update.

This needs to be a thing. We shouldn't be getting patches that makes the framerate worse.
The ability to remove patches would be amazing but you can't even do that on PC anymore thanks to steam and similar clients that autopatch and install the latest versions. Don't expect this feature for consoles.

cakely

I did. My reply was to someone that wasn't talking about boost mode.

FYI I don't even have boost mode available to me yet so 1.14 was a solid, noticeable upgrade for me.

black070

Just finished watching their analysis, so the verdict is boost mode achieves closer to 30fps in more stressful areas then the Pro patch, but the Pro patch runs significantly better then the base version while offering other improvements.

i.e. Boost > Pro >>> Base

Just finished watching their analysis, so the verdict is boost mode achieves closer to 30fps in more stressful areas then the Pro patch, but the Pro patch runs significantly better then the base version while offering other improvements.

i.e. Boost > Pro >>> Base
Boost is not objectively better than Pro. Boost version looks a lot worse if you like a clean image.

BigEmil

Sony should have not rushed Pro out the door, jesus. They could have instead shipped something as powerful as Scorpio.

This is not the fault of the hardware but Bethesda devs design choices of the game on the Pro, your thinking of PS5 which is still way off, Pro is simply a bumped up PS4 mid gen aimed for enthusiasts

Disker

Sony should have not rushed Pro out the door, jesus. They could have instead shipped something as powerful as Scorpio.

Yes because it's the hardware and totally not the software optimization....

Just look at Titanfall and some other games. They do know how to use it.

I played with the Pro patch last night and there were some sections with some extreme slow down walking through a random town, it felt like I was playing the base game again.

However, the frame-rate results are fascinating when compared to 1.14, and it turns out Fallout 4 does indeed run faster on boost mode without the latest patch installed. In our stress test on the Corvega rooftops for example, the dips to 23fps seen patch 1.14 are eliminated, leaving us with a clean 30fps line on patch 1.12 - provided boost mode is checked, of course.

Told you so.

Clockwork

I'm confused by the disdain regarding this.

Per the article the PS4 Pro patch delivers expected upgrades (higher res, better god rays, draw distance) and yet offers better performance than the base PS4.

This is exactly the kind of thing I expected when buying into the Pro.

But no...just because boost mode is even faster (but has no upgrades from the base version) somehow Bethesda screwed up and this sucks?

Come on.

ItIsOkBro

what the fuck is happening in this thread

increased draw distance
high quality god rays
75% increase in resolution
better frame rate across the board but still drops in the most stressful of areas

Elios83

Bethesda did a really nice job with the patch.
They increased the resolution, the graphical settings and framerate of the game compared to the standard PS4 version.
That's a great achievement.
The fact that boost mode can achieve a higher framerate is obvious given that there's no res bump and no graphical upgrades so all the extra power is used to boost the framerate.
They might add an extra setting for those who simply want the best possible framerate without anything extra compared to basic PS4 but people should not expect consoles to become PCs in terms of freedom of choosing settings.
What Bethesda settled with seems to be the best compromise to me, there are improvements in every aspect compared to standard PS4.

Loudninja

As an A-to-B comparison it's a satisfying one, and from a visual standpoint it's one of the better uses of Sony's new machine to date, which begs the question of whether the Pro has the horsepower to deliver this at the same frame-rate - or better - than base PS4 hardware. With the move to settings closer to PC's best, plus a shift to 1440p, it's a surprise to find PS4 Pro also benefits from a perceptible gain in performance. Even a walk around the performance-sapping Diamond City is much, much smoother; it's a near-perfect 30fps, compared to sustained stretch at 26-27fps on base PS4.
It's still far from perfect though. You'll still see streaming hitches and stutters around the Commonwealth, especially with a sidekick character in tow. The good news is that complex areas just don't buckle PS4 Pro's frame-rate to quite same degree. Unfortunately, there are still limitations to what this hardware can do, and taking a trip through the Corvega factory has PS4 Pro drop to a similar low of 23fps as the regular PS4. While it's improved overall, this is still a very rough area for the hardware to deal with, and likewise, you get sustained drops to the mid-20s at the top of the building - only 2-3fps faster than the regular PS4.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-fallout-4-ps4-pro-patch-analysis

So, skip the patch and use boost mode instead? Sony does what Bethesdon't.

edit: The biggest technical issue with Fallout 4 is it's a jerky stuttery mess made worse by the fact there isn't any motion blur at all to smooth things over. The Pro patch helps but not enough. If I were to play Fallout 4 again, I'd take as close to 30fps as possible over draw distance and god rays.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You guys do realize how hardware works right? The boost patch is using the bandwidth of the system all for the CPU and modest GPU upclock.

Bethesda is using the bandwidth fo a res boost and visual upgrades in addition to lesser FPS increases but still better than base PS4.

Its not necessarily about them being incompetent, the power of the pro is being utilized in different ways. Without boost mode, the game would have still run better than PS4.

Now i will say they are bad at optimization, as the game should not have launched in such bad state on base PS4 to begin with, but that has nothing to do with the pro patch or boost mode.

I'm confused by the disdain regarding this.

Per the article the PS4 Pro patch delivers expected upgrades (higher res, better god rays, draw distance) and yet offers better performance than the base PS4.

This is exactly the kind of thing I expected when buying into the Pro.

But no...just because boost mode is even faster (but has no upgrades from the base version) somehow Bethesda screwed up and this sucks?

Come on.
Focusing on visuals over performance is screwing up, for every developer.

Well no, you've been going on about the Pro mode running like shit when it's a significant improvement to the framerate compared to the base mode.

you get sustained drops to the mid-20s at the top of the building - only 2-3fps faster than the regular PS4.

While getting 30fps otherwise. Yep, not wrong.
I'm not saying this randomly, I played the game, but I did not have the tools to show that. Now they did.

Clockwork

Bethesda would still fuck it up by bumping the res to 4K and run it like ass again.

Like ass?

It runs better with the Pro patch (and looks better) than anyone running it on a standard PS4.

This thread is seriously triggering me. Lol

Like ass?

It runs better with the Pro patch (and looks better) than anyone running it on a standard PS4.

This thread is seriously triggering me. Lol

Who's talking about standard PS4 fam? We're talking about Pro patch version on Pro vs unpatched boost mode on Pro.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Focusing on visuals over performance is screwing up, for every developer.

Blame Sony, who decided to balance the system to favor graphical upgrades and resolution boosts, not bethesda's patch which is prioritizing that.

Some people should actually understand that that is the entire draw of the Pro. Boost mode is primarily intended for older games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm all for clowning on Bethesda's technical failings but I think in this case, they delivered a pretty solid patch over the base PS4. Better performance, higher res, better draw distances, and improved lighting.

I don't think an option to disable the Pro patches is even feasible and I doubt many, if any, devs were aware of the feature being implemented.

I am curious though, are there more areas that tank the framerate like the top of the Corvega Factory? That's the one area where it was a substantial difference between Boost and the patch and if there are others then it should be addressed in some way.

a harpy

Blame Sony, who decided to balance the system to favor graphical upgrades and resolution boosts, not bethesda's patch which is prioritizing that.

Some people should actually understand that that is the entire draw of the Pro. Boost mode is primarily intended for older games.

Wait, doesn't the Boost mode favor exactly the opposite?

The really issue here is that you can't choose Boost mode if you have 1.14 installed. With this extra power, players deserve the choice of performance over graphics (or vice versa).

Top Bottom