• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Fallout 4 - PS4 Pro patch vs. Boost Mode (unpatched)

black070

While getting 30fps otherwise. Yep, not wrong.
I'm not saying this randomly, I played the game, but I did not have the tools to show that. Now they did.

What they have shown is that the Pro improves on the base mode in every aspect. That it offers a lesser upgrade in framerate at particular stress areas then at other places doesn't equate to the game 'running like shit', so yes, you are wrong.

Krakn3Dfx

Corvega Factory was a mistake.

This is a nice bump in visuals and performance, it's too bad Bethesda couldn't hit a locked 30fps, but not surprising.

Clockwork

Who's talking about standard PS4 fam? We're talking about Pro patch version on Pro vs unpatched boost mode on Pro.

And in that case boost mode still looks worse, of course it will run better.

Also not everyone (myself included) has access to boost mode yet.

It also makes me laugh because the same people in here who all of a sudden are okay with no graphical improvement to get better framerates were pissed when downsampling was removed from TLoU but got better performance.

People want to have their cake and eat it too

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so based on the video, Pro patched version looks much better than standard or boost and only has a few frame drops in stress test areas, otherwise it seems to run at a solid 30 FPS and/or generally much better performance than what the base PS4 offered.

I'm OK with that. Would much prefer higher resolution and better draw distances and a generally smooth 30 FPS over a more consistent smooth 30 FPS but lower rez and worse effects/draw distance.

Deku Tree

Did DF check what happens to the Framerate on patch 1.14 if you select 1080p TV in the PS4 Pro options?

That helped the FR in TLG.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, doesn't the Boost mode favor exactly the opposite?

The really issue here is that you can't choose Boost mode if you have 1.14 installed. With this extra power, players deserve the choice of performance over graphics (or vice versa).

Again, boost mode is not intended for new games that already have pro patches, only older games which never got pro patches. What your asking for was never considered

If you want a choice in how to run your game, get a PC.

A CPU clock of 30% for Jaguar is not prioritizing FPS, the gains seen in boost mode are just a natural consequence of running the machine without bandwidth taken for other things.

Based on your argument,, they should have just released the PS4 slim with a GPU/RAM/CPU upclock and skipped putting in Polaris with double the CU's entirely

What they have shown is that the Pro improves on the base mode in every aspect. That it offers a lesser upgrade in framerate at particular stress areas then at other places doesn't equate to the game 'running like shit', so yes, you are wrong.

Nah, it runs worse than the boost enabled version so nope, not wrong. They pulled another Skyrim patch, with just cranking the performance and no concern about performance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

icespide

Banned
And in that case boost mode still looks worse, of course it will run better.

Also not everyone (myself included) has access to boost mode yet.

It also makes me laugh because the same people in here who all of a sudden are okay with no graphical improvement to get better framerates were pissed when downsampling was removed from TLoU but got better performance.

People want to have their cake and eat it too
I think people just want options is the issue

BigEmil

Oh. So Pro patched version better visuals and overall performance still compared to Base PS4? Not too bad then.
I and others just read the OP and went from there maybe should've chose better selected quotes and more of it

Fredrik

The really issue here is that you can't choose Boost mode if you have 1.14 installed. With this extra power, players deserve the choice of performance over graphics (or vice versa).
Yup. Why isn't there a video settings meny in every game where you can tweak the game to your own liking? The meny already exist in many cases since many games are PC ports but for some reason they remove it.

Inuhanyou

Nah, it runs worse than the boost enabled version so nope, not wrong. They pulled another Skyrim patch, with just cranking the performance and no concern about performance.

That doesn't make any sense.

Skyrim runs WORSE than base PS4 in limited instances. Fallout 4 runs BETTER than base PS4.

Its not comparable to Skyrim.

Thinking logically, most games CPU bound without installing the Pro patch will run better in boost mode. That is not a case of the devs being incompetent.

Asmodai48

Yup. Why isn't there a video settings meny in every game where you can tweak the game to your own liking? The meny already exist in many cases since many games are PC ports but for some reason they remove it.

Because options are anathema to most console gamers.

Shin-Ra

I'm not seeing the "lots of alpha transparency effects" in that Corvega Factory tunnel. It looks light on transparencies in addition to being a simple, low draw distance environment.

I've heard Skyrim runs identical on both base and Pro now but I don't know for sure.

Last time I saw it tested, the Pro version drops a few frames compared to the base PS4 (2-3fps at worst) unless it's been fixed since then but it was never really bad and as usual people over reacted.

Inuhanyou

I've heard Skyrim runs identical on both base and Pro now but I don't know for sure.

Then that's still not the same as Fallout.

I already thought it, but the more pro features are introduced the less i like the Pro. it gets a whole bunch of nonsense into people's heads about what they feel they are entitled to in consoles.

This is PC esque territory.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I already thought it, but the more pro features are introduced the less i like the Pro. it gets a whole bunch of nonsense into people's heads about what they feel they are entitled to in consoles.

Situations like this are going to be very rare. Many of the games that are getting Pro support from here on out will release with it day 1 and many of the games that would have it patched in (so that Boost mode versus Pro mode comparisons are possible) are probably already done.

Inuhanyou

So, do you feel they should never consider it?

Yeah, actually. Devs configure their games to run how they want them to via pro patch. THey can make them run better than boost mode infact if they prioritize the code how the boost mode uses the components.

But many do not, and that's their right to do so. If you don't like it, buy a PC and run the game how you want.

Its the opposite of what console gaming is.

Fredrik

Because options are anathema to most console gamers.
Question is, why?
You can have standard settings exactly like now but leave the option for others to tweak the visuals and resolution etc to their liking. We already have options for the gameplay and controls. Why is the video settings menu so scary? I don't get it.

Clockwork

That's the thing. If the idea behind PS4 Pro as compared to base PS4 is the following:

1) Better framerate
2) Better image quality
3) Both of the above

Then it really shouldn't be complicated. In the case of Fallout 4 the Pro patch accomplishes #3 on the list, yet people are up in arms due to a ridiculous comparison against boost mode (a beta feature that isn't even rolled out to everyone). I don't think it was ever intended to compare Pro against Pro in that regard.

The question should be are you getting a better experience on Pro than you are on base PS4. That is a resounding "Yes!".

Some people prefer higher performance. I didn't think this was hard to understand.

They get higher performance than a base PS4. How hard is that to understand?

Inuhanyou

Question is, why?
You can have standard settings exactly like now but leave the option for others to tweak the visuals and resolution etc to their liking. We already have options for the gameplay and controls. Why is the video settings menu so scary? I don't get it.

Make a thread on that if you want to hear a debate about that, which i think is the real undercurrent of this thread.

Personally, there was always been clear differentiation in closed eocsystems in regards to how games are developed and optimized compared to open platforms like PC.

That should not change, because that is a big draw for a lot of people in how games are developed.

Of course plenty of people have differing opinions on it, but its something that is a big grey area in the era of Pro and Scorpio.

Asmodai48

Question is, why?

Who knows? id rather be able to set every game to 60fps.

Inuhanyou

That's the thing. If the idea behind PS4 Pro as compared to base PS4 is the following:

1) Better framerate
2) Better image quality
3) Both of the above

Then it really shouldn't be complicated. In the case of Fallout 4 the Pro patch accomplishes #3 on the list, yet people are up in arms due to a ridiculous comparison against boost mode (a beta feature that isn't even rolled out to everyone). I don't think it was ever intended to compare Pro against Pro in that regard.

The question should be are you getting a better experience on Pro than you are on base PS4. That is a resounding "Yes!".

Well yeah, people are comparing boost mode to pro mode, even though they use the same resources in different ways, and claiming devs are incompetent for not prioritizing what they specifically want prioritized even if its better than base PS4.

That's my entire issue. There should be no arguments because devs should be free to make pro modes how they feel they should, and boost mode was never intended to compete with pro mode in that way.

With boost mode, the most i could see is Sony relaxing the mandate for new games to have pro patches, if devs feel performance will be better just using system resources(and the game is already 1080p) and they were going to prioritize performance anyway.

I think that's what KH 0.2 and a few others do as well albeit with the FPS uncapped.

And the game is still sub-30fps any time something interesting happens on screen. That's the problem. Attention should have been given to fixing these year-and-a-half-old performance problems instead of adding effects. I still have no idea what's so stressful about that damn hallway.

Hopey

And the game is still sub-30fps any time something interesting happens on screen. That's the problem. Attention should have been given to fixing these year-and-a-half-old performance problems instead of adding effects. I still have no idea what's so stressful about that damn hallway.

alpha effects probably

Looks good. Exactly what I was hoping to see before finally hopping in on the DLC.

This whole thread is weird, though. This patch gives better performance, boosts the resolution and provides other benefits and there's people upset by this? Of course the game running in a lower resolution missing the added bells and whistles runs smoother, but you're still missing out on some significant features.

Hope in the future they provide options so I could decide, but for me the Pro patch would definitely be the way to go over the boost mode (which is also excellent).

Pro>>boost>>>>>>base version

Fredrik

Make a thread on that if you want to hear a debate about that, which i think is the real undercurrent of this thread.

Personally, there was always been clear differentiation in closed eocsystems in regards to how games are developed and optimized compared to open platforms like PC.

That should not change, because that is a big draw for a lot of people in how games are developed.

Of course plenty of people have differing opinions on it, but its something that is a big grey area in the era of Pro and Scorpio.
I've heard the argument that every game should be the same on every console, for online play etc. And the devs want to optimize for a single platform. But now we have 2 hardware configurations, soon on two closed ecosystems for multiplats, and some games already leave the option to cap the framerate at 30fps or leave it uncapped. So we're already kind of close to the PC platform in that regard, we just don't have as many options.
But yeah the talk should be in another thread I guess, sorry.

I've skimmed through the video and saw no mention of Far Harbor, and that place is even worse than Corvega.

The fire.

I don't know about that. In Nioh performance thread one guy mentioned how 720p is unacceptable on Pro and the whole mob jumped on him like he committed a murder or something. Can you point out who are these people who are suddenly ok with no graphical improvement for steady 30fps (not a ridiculous fps demand I hope like Nioh) but pissed at TLoU?

Putty

The first time the Bethesda logo appeared, oh boy did the framerate turn to shite...

"B-but giving console users options would just turn them into PCs!"
Let's take away options for controls, audio and gameplay too. Clearly they're far too much to handle.

Marlenus

Did you read the OP? Boost Mode makes it run smoother than the Pro patch, but there's no official option to allow us to run it with the smoother update.

This needs to be a thing. We shouldn't be getting patches that makes the framerate worse.

Boost mode is still a beta feature so until it actually launches the Pro patch is still better than the OG PS4 mode. Frame rates + IQ increases.

It would be nice to have more options but hey FO4 supports mods which can dial back a few of the settings so you can still get the locked 30 fps frame rate if you really want to even with the Pro enhancements.

Vipu

Banned
Question is, why?

If you want options why dont you get pc?
Consoles are made so people dont have to think, if you want then go for pc.

For those of us who will be actually playing it on the pro, it looks absolutely beautiful now, the resolution bump with the increased draw distance makes a world of difference.

Very impressive.

"B-but giving console users options would just turn them into PCs!"
Let's take away options for controls, audio and gameplay too. Clearly they're far too much to handle.

Did you miss the Overwatch disabled gamer thread? It was a fun one, console gamers claiming disabled gamers are cheaters.

The whole Corvega plant shows what a shitty engine Bethesda has created. Runs pretty bad on PC as well.

dealer-

Increased draw distance and graphical improvements adds to the immersion but then solid 30fps would be great too.

We should be able to pick our poison. C'mon Sony, give us a dedicated Pro hub in the settings where we can enable and disable some shit.

komorebi

Last time I saw it tested, the Pro version drops a few frames compared to the base PS4 (2-3fps at worst) unless it's been fixed since then but it was never really bad and as usual people over reacted.

It still runs that way and that's not overreacting. The Pro with MORE hardware power should not perform worse than the base model, even if its "just" a few frames. I can't believe Sony hasn't stepped in and told developers to ensure this doesn't happen. Or at least send a memo to the single developer who continues to do this.

Top Bottom