• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Fallout 4 - PS4 Pro patch vs. Boost Mode (unpatched)

Griss

As someone who doesn't have Boost Mode available I have to say patch 1.14 has been pretty great.

Is the performance as shit as it always was? Yes. Is the game now at least good looking to make up for that? Yes. The extra draw distance and resolution do a huge amount to help the game. For framerate sensitive people with Boost Mode available I can understand the frustration, though.

The only reason I went back to this game after a year away was to check out the patch changes. We have mods now? I installed this one that makes the world green and it's amazing - but for some shitty reason it disables trophies, despite not affecting gameplay at all. Shame. Secondly the opening to this game is farcically bad storytelling. I had forgotten how bad the first hour was. Lastly survival mode is a bit of a pain in the ass to get going. Not as fun as I was hoping, and it's the same old game after all.

I'm not at all blown away by the PRO patch but I cant understand why you would want the BOOST version over it. So you can get a few extra frames for about 2-3 seconds when things get crazy. I would take the higher resolution over that any day...plus the extra bushes and trees that honestly I wouldn't notice or care about unless there was a side by side comparison.

I love DF but they go a little overboard when they say things like "much smoother performance" and the video playing behind that literally shows 29fps on the PS4 and 30fps on the PRO.

Jack cw

LOL at the self adulation of some over nothing...
Anyway, really love the visual boost and the supersampling. Performance is also fine. Gaf exeggaration as always.

icespide

Banned
watched the video. Holy shit the overreactions. I can't fathom why anyone would opt out of all the visual upgrades for a smoother frame rate in cherry picked stressful areas

The Pro patch is quite smooth and has some nice IQ improvements

Xater

I'd rather have a completely smooth framerate without the extras, especially on a 1080p TV. Bethesda should have provuded an option for that.

Putty

watched the video. Holy shit the overreactions. I can't fathom why anyone would opt out of all the visual upgrades for a smoother frame rate in cherry picked stressful areas

All of this...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
On the same hardware the version with higher resolution, better draw distance and god ray effect runs worse than the version with lower resolution, worse draw distance and god ray effect! SHOCKING!

On the same hardware the version with higher resolution, better draw distance and god ray effect runs worse than the version with lower resolution, worse draw distance and god ray effect! SHOCKING!
The issue people have is that there is a way to run Fallout 4 at a solid 30fps, but it involves running an old version of the game. Currently there's no way to tell the game to not run the Pro version, and Bethesda didn't add a performance setting like Nioh or FFXV.

Yup. The improvements are easily visible and it overall runs better then base PS4 sans that stupid factory (which TBH has always been an issue).

Freeman76

LOL at the self adulation of some over nothing...
Anyway, really love the visual boost and the supersampling. Performance is also fine. Gaf exeggaration as always.

Hats off fellas, nice to see some realistic posts in a thread like this on GAF. There is hope...

Most people here must not have a rich history with gaming on PC and adjusting settings.

Boost mode is still 1080p with no extra visuals, of course it will run better.

Pro patch is a massive resolution boost, better draw distances, better AA and better lighting. It still runs better than the base game on a regular PS4 with all these enhancements on a Pro.

That's just the basics when it comes to how things scale when you up resolution and other settings.

I agree an option to turn Pro patches off and use Boost Mode instead would be great, but you can easily just delete games off your hard drive and reinstall to remove Pro patches and use Boost Mode instead, not very intuitive but you aren't locked.

This is why I've turned off automatic updates, so I can see the results and then choose to patch it or not. I suggest all Pro owners to do the same.

komorebi

I love all the graphical bells and whistles and want all games to look good.

But here's the final word on this, since people don't seem to get it. They need to fix their broken engine FIRST before stacking more weight on top of it. That's really my qualm with Skyrim and now this.

Also, people are still stuck with a piece of shit performance-wise on the base PS4.

This is why so many games run like shit. People get something shiny and go "oooh" and distracts them. Gameplay over graphics every single time. Framerate is a very important part of gameplay.

This is why so many games run like shit. People get something shiny and go "oooh" and distracts them. Gameplay over graphics every single time. Framerate is a very important part of gameplay.

Yep. But it is a lot easier to sell a screenshot with flashy effects and a pretty tree out there in the back.

massucci

Banned
Sony should have not rushed Pro out the door, jesus. They could have instead shipped something as powerful as Scorpio.
What you say here it's totally unfair. 1440p isn't it exactly a mind blowing effort for pro hardware. Bandwidth and cpu boost should be enough to achieve a solid fps performance on pro at 1440p. Let's see how much rock solid fps will be on Scorpio with Bethesda games. Knowing them, I'd not count too much on it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They seem to blame the PS4Pro for some of the framedrops and I don't agree. We've seen much better graphics running more smoothly on the PS4Pro.

BigDug13

or more like have a resolution mode and framerate mode, like in some games (or 1080p and 4k modes). If it had a 1080p mode the game would run better and look better than non patch boost mode.

The simpler thing instead of trying to force every developer to do this for their game is to simply make a firmware change setting that can continue to pretend the Pro is a regular PS4 and applies boost mode. The PS4 patched version is still there for people who own a PS4 so we should get the choice of running games in PS4 mode instead of Pro mode.

eFKac

That's a really good Pro patch, improvements are very high over the base PS4.

Wasn't expecting such an effort from Bethesda.

ItIsOkBro

im chalking it up to gaf still riding the boost mode train in general. everyone will come to their senses soon enough.

Fredrik

If you want options why dont you get pc?
Consoles are made so people dont have to think, if you want then go for pc.
I have a PC, it's great, and I would love to tweak my console games to decent framerates too, the norm of close-to-30fps is annoying when the hardwares are fully capable to go higher with different priorities.
It's not like there are no menus already, audio, controls, gameplay, even video, is already there. Not much thinking needed to flip a switch in the already available video settings menu from standard to advanced to show an otherwise hidden menu with the options available in the PC version.

qko

Damn, the reaction toward Bethesda makes would be really discouraging to read if I was a developer. Pretty much sounds like people want Sony to take care of "Boosting" performance since trying to make improvements before this solution was available is just being crapped on by a very vocal segment.

Since when did we know about boost mode anyway? Like a month ago?

Hasney

I always do. I run my PC games at 720p sometimes if I can get more of a locked 120fps.

I hope that MS are taking notes for when their next console hits later this year and have a formative plan for developers and Scorpio upgrades for games (if any).

I'm not blaming Sony here but Boost Mode seems reactionary to the lack of retroactive Pro support for released games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn, the reaction toward Bethesda makes would be really discouraging to read if I was a developer. Pretty much sounds like people want Sony to take care of "Boosting" performance since trying to make improvements before this solution was available is just being crapped on by a very vocal segment.

Since when did we know about boost mode anyway? Like a month ago?
Barely two weeks

I hope that MS are taking notes for when their next console hits later this year and have a formative plan for developers and Scorpio upgrades for games (if any).

I'm not blaming Sony here but Boost Mode seems reactionary to the lack of retroactive Pro support for released games.

What else would retroactive Pro support be other than Boost Mode?

prwxv3

Boost mode is for old games. Going forward every games will have a pro mode. They always said that boost mode was possible. It was not at launch because it could have destroyed the perception of their console if it fucked games.

True Fire

I played the game on Boost mode before updating, and I prefer the patch. The draw distances are amazing, especially if you're big on settlement building. The increase in resolution helps too.

Fallout 4 will never be a good looking game, so there's no point jumping through hoops to keep it at 30fps. Embrace the ugliness

Chabbles

Booted this up to check out the Pro patch, framerate didnt feel good, it looked great but framerate felt low 20's. I got some foliage and other mods installed though.

komorebi

Also the "why don't you just get a PC?" argument is pointless for this game. I played it at launch on an OC 980 before I got out of the PC rat race and it ran like shit in the city areas.

I simplified my life and picked up a Pro for my gaming fix so that's why I've been watching these Pro patches closely. Bethesda may have improved the game compared to the base PS4, but doubling down on graphics on already weak hardware is ridiculous, imo. Very few people seem to care though so I guess thats that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Pro Patches would be cooler if they had something like performance mode. The ones that let you choose are the best ones.
On the other side a bit of work experience as a dev or QA managing all those "trivial" options for a console audience which is sensible and vocal about game issues would certainly inform us better... not every shiny thing is actually made of gold ;).

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
To be fair to Bethesda, boost mode didn't even exist when they worked on this patch, which still offers improved visuals and performance over the base version.

Perhaps later on they'll add a performance mode.

kiguel182

On the other side a bit of work experience as a dev or QA managing all those "trivial" options for a console audience which is sensible and vocal about game issues would certainly inform us better... not every shiny thing is actually made of gold ;).

I'm talking as a consumer about what my preferences are.

I'm not saying doing it is simple.

thelastword

Banned
I'm confused by the disdain regarding this.

Per the article the PS4 Pro patch delivers expected upgrades (higher res, better god rays, draw distance) and yet offers better performance than the base PS4.

This is exactly the kind of thing I expected when buying into the Pro.

But no...just because boost mode is even faster (but has no upgrades from the base version) somehow Bethesda screwed up and this sucks?

Come on.
The patch is not bad at all, but some more effort and options could have been offered here.....I still believe 1800p checkerboarded with TAA and 16xAF should have been the resolution option for 4k mode. I know it would dip just as this 1440p mode is dipping, but at least the IQ would be superior......

In any case, this game engine just looks busted. I dont think the hardware can't run what bethesda has on screen here, it's just poor optimization work + an engine which should have been retired a long time ago.....The weak CPU is holding 30fps in boost mode with huge draw distances way up on a skyscraper, but a much better GPU struggles to handle 30fps locked in a hallway, there's nothing in that hallway that should tax this GPU, even with the graphical enhancements......An RX 480 runs this at 45-60fps (1440p) at max settings on PC, these slowdowns are very very strange.......

In any case, I think the bigger take is that bethesda should have offered a performance mode along with this 4k mode. I'm disappointed in the 4k mode, still no 16x AF even as a basic, but if they also included a performance mode at 1080p with OG PS4 levels of visuals, I think you would see less complaints...After all this time, I'm glad it got pro patched, but I think Bethesda could have done a bit better here.......

Fbh

Hopefully as more devs get used to the 2 console system we start seeing more games that give the same options as Nioh: A mode to boost performance, a mode to boost graphics and resolution and mabye a hybrid mode that tried to balance both

Top Bottom