• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Fallout 4 Xbox One X vs Pro

BatSu

They really need to work on the scaler. It's pretty much 2160p vs 1440p so it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't be able to drop res down and maintain frames

The only thing that doesn't make sense is to choose the resolution before the frames.Would not 1080p 60 fps be better?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The only thing that doesn't make sense is to choose the resolution before the frames.Would not 1080p 60 fps be better?

Fallout, like all Bethesda games of the type, are VERY CPU dependant, due to the large ammount of physics going on. 60FPS just isn't possible at this spec without some serious downgrades. You can throw all the terraflops at something you want, but if the CPU isn't up to scratch it sadly won't matter. But there really is no reason this can't be 30 fps locked.

So another dynamic 4k game on XBONEX with worse framerate than is present on PRO....I guess these devs didn't get Spencer's memo.."that framerate is king"....

Devs are trying to push rez so hard on the XBONEX that framerate suffers, in some games we get lots of tearing to compensate too.

lol @ this guy

thelastword

Banned
and here you go again, Xbox one X delivery the best console version of the game
In a world where framerate is unimportant, then XBONEX wins, but as long as a solid framerate is the most important part of a game and the most important aspect in any tech anlaysis, then your statement will be objectively wrong. You can eventually adjust to the resolution you play at, after a while, but better performance will always be preferred hogging through a 100hr game. It's what helps the experience the most in that scenario.....

I think you are also forgetting that the original xbox has a better mid range texture distance than the pro
I still remember that from the prior faceoffs, that was a one off area where the lod was better on XBOX ONE....I'm not sure this is replicated elsewhere, because I was trying to get more examples, sadly Bethesda never patched it.....

Lets not get crazy though, you believe a version of the game that draws much further lod than the XBOX ONE has an issue with mid-range lod as a whole? This is a Bethesda game, there are lots of bugs and glitches....

As for the posters commenting about the CPU of the XBONEX....It was always known that the practical differences would be nil or minimal at best...Guys, this is not a Ryzen CPU going from 3.8Ghz to 4.1 or an i7 going from 4.5 to 5.0GHz. It's a Jaguar CPU going from 2.1Ghz to 2.3Ghz, do not have much in the way of expectations, if any at all. Refrain from believing there is going to be a tangible uptick against PRO's CPU.

Moreover, it is believed that XBONEX's CPU resources are being tasked a bit more by it's multi-layered OS than Sony's. The XBONEX does have it's bandwidth shared on one large bus, however the PS4/PRO does have an additional 20GB's bus for communication between CPU/GPU/MEM etc...so the architecture between the consoles in that regard is a bit different...

Journey

Banned
lol @ this guy

He literally see's this on every Xbox One X topic:

warriors-come-out-to-play-i-ay-4674696.png

Iced Arcade

All these games make me want to upgrade BUT I don't think I can justify full console launch price halfway through a generation.

thelastword has to be a parody acct right?

In a world where framerate is unimportant, then XBONEX wins, but as long as a solid framerate is the most important part of a game and the most important aspect in any tech anlaysis, then your statement will be objectively wrong. You can eventually adjust to the resolution you play at, after a while, but better performance will always be preferred hogging through a 100hr game. It's what helps the experience the most in that scenario.....

I still remember that from the prior faceoffs, that was a one off area where the lod was better on XBOX ONE....I'm not sure this is replicated elsewhere, because I was trying to get more examples, sadly Bethesda never patched it.....

Lets not get crazy though, you believe a version of the game that draws much further lod than the XBOX ONE has an issue with mid-range lod as a whole? This is a Bethesda game, there are lots of bugs and glitches....

As for the posters commenting about the CPU of the XBONEX....It was always known, that the practical differences would be nil or minimal at best...Guys, this is not a Ryzen CPU going from 3.8GH to 4.1 or an i7 going from 4.5 to 5.0GHZ. It's a Jaguar CPU going from 2.1Ghz to 2.3Ghz, do not have much in the way of expectations, if any at all. Refrain from believing there is going to be a tangible uptick from PRO's CPU.

Moreover, it is believed that XBONEX's CPU resources are being tasked a bit more by it's multi-layered OS than Sony's. The XBONEX does have it's bandwidth shared on one large bus, however the PS4/PRO does have an additional 20GB's bus for communication between CPU/GPU/MEM etc...so the architecture between the consoles in that regard is a bit different...

What will your next narrative change be, I wonder?

Cheech

You can now play the worst Fallout game in almost 4k! I love you Todd Howard.

This is a troll, but I had to laugh. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed in a Todd Howard game as I was with Fallout 4. Everything about it was just so damn uninspired. Had to force myself to finish it, and I've loved everything else his team has done over the years.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

As for the posters commenting about the CPU of the XBONEX....It was always known, that the practical differences would be nil or minimal at best...Guys, this is not a Ryzen CPU going from 3.8GH to 4.1 or an i7 going from 4.5 to 5.0GHZ. It's a Jaguar CPU going from 2.1Ghz to 2.3Ghz, do not have much in the way of expectations, if any at all. Refrain from believing there is going to be a tangible uptick from PRO's CPU.

so a 1-3fps drop in 4k compared to 1440p is massive to you? and no mid range draw distance on the pro is acceptable? you have dual standards my friend

Seeing CPU bottlenecks at 4K is bizarre. I really hope the next gen are decent CPU wise. Even an i3 would have made the X such a Beast Mode. Jaguar is such a joke.

Ubername

Banned
How much does Todd Howard really have to do with these games, though? He's a figurehead, is it reasonable to think he makes decisions on how the game plays? He's been at Beth way too long for him to still have any effect on the games they make, lol.

thelastword

Banned
so a 1-3fps drop in 4k compared to 1440p is massive to you? and no mid range draw distance on the pro is acceptable? you have dual standards my friend

When did I say it was acceptable? I said that this is the only sample (area) DF used to make that claim, I have not seen it replicated anywhere else. However better framerate is evident through many samples of gameplay that I have seen in this latest video......

Are you saying the framerate drops on XBONEX is a bug as well, I sincerely hope you're not....

JaxBriggs

How much does Todd Howard really have to do with these games, though? He's a figurehead, is it reasonable to think he makes decisions on how the game plays? He's been at Beth way too long for him to still have any effect on the games they make, lol.

Huh? As director and executive producer of Bethesda Game Studios I'd say he has a very big say into how their games are made. AFAIK he is the chief behind the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

Ubername

Banned
Huh? As director and executive producer of Bethesda Game Studios I'd say he has a very big say into how their games are made. AFAIK he is the chief behind the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

But what does this role mean? He's the chief and I'm sure that's reflected in his pay grade but normally as you climb the ladder you're less closely invested with the inner workings
of a project

tryDEATH

No open world game is going to be running in 4K@60FPS you can forget that and anyone taking those cheap shoots isn't properly informed of what it actually takes to run that game at that resolution and framerate. You got people with GTX 1080's and i7-7700K struggling to get solid 1080P@60FPS without lower their settings and those systems cost around $1200 $1500, the fact that the Xbox One X can run at 4K@30FPS with slight hiccups is a miracle in itself.

Are you saying the framerate drops on XBONEX is a bug as well, I sincerely hope you're not....

By definition a bug in software is something that is an unexpected/unintended behaviour, so yes, framerate drops is literally a bug.

Unless you're trying to say it's intentional?

JaxBriggs

But what does this role mean?

It means he is top dog of a studio consisting of around 100 or so people. He would have final say over probably everything the studio does or produces.

I have to say I find what you're asking to be a bit of an odd question.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Just installed fallout 4 on my X and it looks incredible.
Its amazing what a near 4k res can do for a game, its such a rich and clean image, a true joy to look at.

mad597

Banned
When did I say it was acceptable? I said that this is the only sample (area) DF used to make that claim, I have not seen it replicated anywhere else. However better framerate is evident through many samples of gameplay that I have seen in this latest video......

You are such a shill its ridiculous. Does your wrist hurt stroking sony with your fan fiction novels you pump out 24/7?

phil_t98

#SonyToo

the frame rate drops are hardly noticeable same as in the other thread you commented on with battlefront 2 where it drops 1-2 fps they are hardly noticeable, however the midrange draw distance on the pro is something that needs fixing more even the original xbox one has better midrange draw distance. yes its a bug but more than likely the frame drops are a bug to

thelastword

Banned
By definition a bug in software is something that is an unexpected/unintended behaviour, so yes, framerate drops is literally a bug.

Unless you're trying to say it's intentional?
Oh yes sure, because weaker hardware having better lod in one scene, whilst the better hardware having much further DD overall is the same as XBONEX dropping frames because the devs set it's resolution too high ;(.... Next time my 750Ti does not hit 60fps at 4k in Fallout, I'll call that a bug, that's for sure...

the frame rate drops are hardly noticeable same as in the other thread you commented on with battlefront 2 where it drops 1-2 fps they are hardly noticeable, however the midrange draw distance on the pro is something that needs fixing more even the original xbox one has better midrange draw distance. yes its a bug but more than likely the frame drops are a bug to
Better mid-range lod in one scene, with further draw distance and lod in all scenes over XBOX-ONE, plus better framerate in all scenes or overall over XBONEX......Weigh it properly and what comes out on top?

When the XBONEX has better framerate, you own it and express that superiority, because tangibly it's better, but you diminish such metrics to "it's hardly noticeable" when the PRO has the better framerate..That's not how this works, but I guess that depends on who you ask?....Certainly does not work that way in an objective thread, but hey, I've seen some strange things.....

Oh yes sure, because weaker hardware having better lod in one scene, whilst the better hardware having much further DD overall is the same as XBONEX dropping frames because the devs set it's resolution too high ;(.... Next time my 750Ti does not hit 60fps at 4k in Fallout, I'll call that a bug, that's for sure...
Then your dismissive tone in the bolded would be your fault for expecting something as unlikely 60FPS 4K out of a 750Ti. Bugs are, as I said, unexpected.

If you put a blu-ray disc into a Sega CD and it (shockingly) didn't play, would you be all "wtf sega is bugged"?

When the PRO has better framerate, you own it and express that superiority, because tangibly it's better, but you diminish such metrics to "it's hardly noticeable" when the XBONEX has the better framerate.

It's funny, because if you do nothing more than flip the console names (as I have done here) in this quote, it suddenly describes you to a tee to such a point that it just looks like you're talking in third person.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Better mid-range lod in one scene, with further draw distance and lod in all scenes over XBOX-ONE, plus better framerate in all scenes or overall over XBONEX......Weigh it properly and what comes out on top?

When the XBONEX has better framerate, you own it and express that superiority, because tangibly it's better, but you diminish such metrics to "it's hardly noticeable" when the PRO has the better framerate..That's not how this works, but I guess that depends on who you ask?....Certainly does not work that way in an objective thread, but hey, I've seen some strange things.....

in one scene that they showed, do you have and xbox to compare other scenes? and draw distance is better yes but still its a massive bug that the original xbox one has better mid range draw distance. you just can't handle that all the pro has is a few fps better than the X but the X is superior in everyday. better draw distance better midrange texture draw distance. the fps drops are hardly noticeable and the experts with these ones being from digital foundry say the X version is the best

Top Bottom