• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Forza Horizon 3: Xbox One X vs PC Graphics Comparison

Zimmy68

I'm still trying to get into this game. Some of my favorite games are open world arcade racers like Burnout Paradise and all the Criterion NFS games.

I have the expansion pass but holding off until I play more of the main game.

I am earning cars but still confounded on what to do.

I try the ask Anna what to do and she tells me a bucket list, which is the last thing I want to do.
I drive further away, ask Anna, still bucket list.
I force it to drive to nearest race, it is always one I already completed.
They charge you for fast travel so I drive everywhere which takes forever.

Why not have a racing board that says, finish these 5 races to move on?
The core game is great and maybe I have no clue how to use the UI but man I am struggling.

It does look great now on the X1X.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
It's too bad that in the absence of DF doing a proper comparison with a similar GPu, it's usually hard to find benchmark videos with settings similar to on console. I found one with a Gtx 1060 doing 4k Ultra (including 4x MSAA) for a bit (past 2:15 in video), and that seemed to keep over 30 fps, although did drop a bit once a cutscene kicked in.

I suppose it technically is at higher settings than X though, with shadows, MB, and I think DF said the X lacked FXAA, which can have a bit of performance impact.

Check this one out.....Nice and lengthy comparison across 1080p, 1440p and 4k.

Performance is pretty solid at 1080p and 1440p, you can get a 60fps experience at those resolutions. With XBONEX settings, you're getting 1440p 70-80fps midway through the video. If you use Ultra settings at 4k, you get around 40fps tinkering down to high 30's. He locks it to 30fps and it's pretty solid at 4k Ultra because of the headroom.....barring one instance of stutter towards the end of the video, which we all know the game is prone too. Maybe this video was done prior to the CPU patch they did for PC...but this is not GPU related in that instance.

But yes, the biggest resource hogs in this game are all GPU related, MB, shadows, reflections, mirror quality etc....In all of that + AA and world car level of detail, the XBONEX is not at Ultra settings. A 1060 at Ultra 4K runs pretty solid with better settings, and generally, the 480/580's or AMD hardware ftm do better with the Forza's too, so here goes....

1) When racing along at full speed (usually down a long stretch of road) the game still freezes for a split second now and again. It was jarring before and its no different on the X.
Check this out, I timestamped a similar issue. Does this still happen on PC after the threaded optimization patch? So even on the XBOX where they programmed to the tune of 8 core CPU's, it still happens?....It's not memory because the XBONEX has quite a bit and it's not like the foliage in Horizon is super realistic or detailed.

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Check this out, I timestamped a similar issue. Does this still happen on PC after the threaded optimization patch? So even on the XBOX where they programmed to the tune of 8 core CPU's, it still happens?....It's not memory because the XBONEX has quite a bit and it's not like the foliage in Horizon is super realistic or detailed.
Yeah thats it. In the limited time I have played the enhanced version I have only noticed it once, so it MAY be the case that it happens less now? Only more time with the game will tell.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So FH3 runs 4k textures out of the box, just outputs them at HD? And why doesn't Forza Motorsport do that?

4K textures isn't a " real" term. Textures can always have more detail and a higher resolution but it's not quite measured the same as 1080p and 4k. A higher rednering resoulution like 4k makes higher resolution textures pop and let's you see the detail.

A super higher resolution texture won't benefit you if your game is only out putting at 1080p.

Higher resolution textures can vastly change the size of a game so that's why pushing higher resolution assets to people who won't see a huge benefit isn't in a devs best interest.

The textures in FH3 didn't change it seems, which is why the file size was very small while something like forza 7 had higher resolution assets which is why the file was much larger

Lort

Banned
Ive never had it freeze for a split second for ever .. not on xbox on .. not one one x

Is it because you have a very fragmented drive?

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, isn't increasing the resolution while leaving the same textures from the OG Xbox a bit disingenuous while touting native 4k? Forgive my ignorance here, but you could blow up a 720p texture across a 4k screen, enabling native 4k, but it will look like trash from an IQ perspective, correct? Again, not trying to bash, but I was looking at the game post patch and the detail, while impressive, looked like it lacked true 4k levels. I watched the developer interviewed and they confirmed no new textures, so I'm assuming they are less than 4k.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Correct me if I'm wrong here, isn't increasing the resolution while leaving the same textures from the OG Xbox a bit disingenuous while touting native 4k? Forgive my ignorance here, but you could blow up a 720p texture across a 4k screen, enabling native 4k, but it will look like trash from an IQ perspective, correct? Again, not trying to bash, but I was looking at the game post patch and the detail, while impressive, looked like it lacked true 4k levels. I watched the developer interviewed and they confirmed no new textures, so I'm assuming they are less than 4k.

4k textures really is just a buzzword. Native 4K means it's being rendered in 4K.

The textures in FH3 could of already been high enough resolution to take advantage of the higher rendered resolution or they simply didn't want to spend the time to go back and touch the textures up. Hard to say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom