• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Hitman 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure we heard more then 5000 times how much the XSX would fuck the PS5 on all sides, how underperformed it was already before release, how large the gap would be visible from the start, how cringe MS messages was on social to convince people constantly that the XSX is the best console without any games and even struggles with their own game for launch.

Yes people laughed at Microsoft after launch and they deserved it. Look at how quiet they are right now with their "Power" narrative. Their message was clear, but they didn't deliver (and still not doing it). Only Sony knows how they need to market these kind of things and Microsoft clearly failed again with their messaging and their fanbase was completely brainwashed.

And no, the tables are not suddenly turned based on 1 game. How do you explain all the other previous games, why performed the XSX a lot less with them?
Same can be said for Sony. SSD, SSD, SSD at 5.5 gb/s and Kraken at 22 gb/s.

"5.5 gb/s is at least twice as fast as X"

The Hitman 3 videos show loading times where PS5 is faster than Series S by less than 1 second and faster than X by 1/3rd of a second.

It's also more than one game. Every game lately (Hitman 3, MK11, Star Wars Squadrons and someone even said DMC in hectic scenes) are all better on Series X. 4 in a row.

Last edited:
Oh dear looks like I'll be giving Hitman 3 a miss then.

poop GIF

waquzy

Look at the video before replying. 99% of the PS5 is stable meanwhile XSX drops frames constantly. The lighting is also off on the XSX.

Yes, it's called optimization. Doesn't appear to be the case for XSX. They went for big numbers and less optimization. The game is going to feel like shit playing it with so many big frame dips.
I would take 1800p at a locked 60fps over 4K with frame drops any day of the week.

D dark10x put up a vid today talking about the Glacier Engine and basically a follow up to yesterday's head to head.

Hitman 3 tech review: the Glacier Engine shines on next-gen consoles • Eurogamer.net

one thing that caught my eye

This is supplemented with a move to 8x anisotropic filtering, which is a nice step up from the 4x seen on the last-gen versions of the game.

Was kinda hoping NG versions of games this gen would use 16x AF universally, kinda surprised that isn't the case here.

Stuart360

D dark10x put up a vid today talking about the Glacier Engine and basically a follow up to yesterday's head to head.

Hitman 3 tech review: the Glacier Engine shines on next-gen consoles • Eurogamer.net

Was kinda hoping NG versions of games this gen would use 16x AF universally, kinda surprised that isn't the case here.

The funny thing with anisotropic filtering on PC is that it barely has any effect on performance at all, i have tested it many times on PC. In fact on PC its often viewed as a 'free' grphical effect. Its always made me wonder why consoles dont do it higher.

sainraja

But not toxic when the Sony fanboys are swinging their dicks or talking about bottlenecks, and repeating nonsense from other know-nothing fanboys?

Are DF too blame also?
Stop playing whatever version of the console war game you've been playing.

It's getting old how each side keeps asking for accountability from the other when all parties involved are quick to forget how the other side acted in a different (similar enough) but opposite situation. What you stated here can be re-worded and applied to any specific fanboy.

Discuss what is being discussed and forget what was said by who, when it was said, why it was said. It doesn't matter. I bet the person you are responding to here is likely not the one you initially got triggered by.

Last edited:
The funny thing with anisotropic filtering on PC is that it barely has any effect on performance at all, i have tested it many times on PC. In fact on PC its often viewed as a 'free' grphical effect. Its always made me wonder why consoles dont do it higher.

Exactly. I feel like I have been using 16x AF on PC for at least the last 20 years. Wonder what is causing the 8x limit in this case....

*shrugs*

Oh well

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

AF16x would probably interfere with bandwidth constraints of consoles, that's why it's not generally implemeneted on consoles, despite it being defacto standard on PC, for like I don't know 15-20 years?

Leyasu

Banned
Stop playing whatever version of the console war game you've been playing.

It's getting old how each side keeps asking for accountability from the other when all parties involved are quick to forget how the other side acted in a different but opposite situation. What you stated here can be re-worded and applied to any specific fanboy.

Discuss what is being discussed and forget what was said by who, when it was said, why it was said. It doesn't matter. I bet the person you are responding to here is likely not the one you initially got triggered by.
I’m not triggered, just wondering if what was good for one was good for the other.

In that article/vid, Dark also points out that One X has one rendering mode (1440p/30) while Pro has 1080/60 and 1440p/30 mode (unless I misread it, which is possible, I don't operate well in the morning). I figure I might as well point that out too as it will surely fuel more speculation as to something going on behind the scenes with the PS5 version.

AF16x would probably interfere with bandwidth constraints of consoles, that's why it's not generally implemeneted on consoles, despite it being defacto standard on PC, for like I don't know 15-20 years?

Gotcha, interesting...

Riky

$MSFT
Look at the video before replying. 99% of the PS5 is stable meanwhile XSX drops frames constantly. The lighting is also off on the XSX.

Yes, it's called optimization. Doesn't appear to be the case for XSX. They went for big numbers and less optimization. The game is going to feel like shit playing it with so many big frame dips.

It's on the outskirts of one area, like 0.1% of the game. 99.5% of the game is a locked 60fps, but even those few instances of drops are taken care of by Xbox VRR support. So then we get full 4k at a silky smooth framerate, the best console version by far.

waquzy

It's on the outskirts of one area, like 0.1% of the game. 99.5% of the game is a locked 60fps, but even those few instances of drops are taken care of by Xbox VRR support. So then we get full 4k at a silky smooth framerate, the best console version by far.
Ok Riky

ethomaz

Banned
Hold on, you was one of the bottlenecked system advocates. Is it the split l3 cache, too many CUs, not clocked high enough or something else that is causing Hitman on the XSX to outperform the ps5 here?
Wut?

Series X like showed in a lot of multiplatforms including Hitman 3 has bottlenecks that PS5 doesn't have.
Said that the resolution disparity showed is weird because a RX 5700 can reach better results with the same 36CUs and way lower clocks (8TFs)... you can look at benchmarks.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Wut?

Series X like showed in a lot of multiplatforms including Hitman 3 has bottlenecks that PS5 doesn't have.
Said that the resolution disparity showed is weird because a RX 5700 can reach better results with the same 36CUs and way lower clocks (8TFs)... you can look at benchmarks.
What bottlenecks? Got any conclusive proof?

Or are you still going on launch titles?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Still medium shadow setting at 1800p it's ridiculous. I don't get it why ps5 can't handle it.

We don't know if it cannot. 21 pages and all we know is the XSX is being pushed to its limits and sometimes beyond, meanwhile the Ps5 has headroom, but there is no way to know how much unless run a profiler or they turn up the graphics settings until you get dips (like the XSX).

sainraja

I’m not triggered, just wondering if what was good for one was good for the other.
No, what I was trying to point out to you is that you are saying that to someone who was likely not the one doing what you claim the other fanboys were. It's a silly and stupid game to play.

Both sides do it and they do it as if they both had a hand in how the consoles were designed/created. This is pretty much a rinse-repeat game. Content is what ultimately matters and if you prefer the ecosystem that Xbox has setup then more power to you and if you prefer PlayStation's then more power to you.

If it is about sales/support, power has never mattered when it comes to that. The PS2 proved it. The Wii proved it. This thing keeps happening because people think a consoles sale and associated support is due to the power it has and as I've pointed out, it really hasn't been. PS4 is the only exception to that rule where it ended up being the cheaper and more powerful console at launch and got good support from first and third party developers.

Last edited:

wachie

Minute to the eye yes but its pushing quite a few more pixels vs some dropped frames in certain areas

I mean I am a Playstation guy through and through but its becoming laughable how people can call this a "win" for the PS5
What's hilarious is that because Hitman has VR mode on PS, it's prioritizing FPS over resolution.

And yet somehow people are considering that a loss? I mean, I know there's desperation on one side because the trend hasnt been as good for that side but this is beyond hilarious.

Concern

We don't know if it cannot. 21 pages and all we know is the XSX is being pushed to its limits and sometimes beyond, meanwhile the Ps5 has headroom, but there is no way to know how much unless run a profiler or they turn up the graphics settings until you get dips (like the XSX).

"Headroom" is the new buzzword now?

How can the Ps5 running at 1800p/60fps with frame drops and medium shadows have any "headroom"? Lol

something GIF

ethomaz

Banned

qpmDaml.png

Now I have certain there is something weird with PS5 version.
It is using the same PS4 Pro profile with res up to 1800p.

PS4 Pro runs the game better than Series S and PS5 can't reach 4k with same profile?

What bottlenecks? Got any conclusive proof?

Or are you still going on launch titles?
This own thread shows it has issues.
But we can revisit all others DF comparisons if you wish.

Last edited:

HurtGravy

Neo Member
Summary

PS5 is 1800p and locked 60 FPS.
XSX is 2160p but drops some frames.
XSS is 1080p and has drops.

Thats literally the entire video.
Drops some frame on one tiny insignificant area of one level otherwise 4k60 all the way. Expect this to happen more often than not now.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
"Headroom" is the new buzzword now?
Just a layman term to get the point across. If a car is doing 60mph in a 60mph zone, you don't know what it's top speed is. This is the situation when you run game at a capped res and capped frame rate and there are no performance issues. All games that sit at their cap, 30Hz or 60Hz, are rendering frames faster and that cap and the extra GPU power is going to waste.

PC gamers with a 60Hz monitor know the pain, they might be rendering at 135fps, but until you buy a 144Hz monitor, you never realize those frames.

Last edited:

TheDude108

PS4 Pro runs the game better than Series S and PS5 can't reach 4k with same profile?
Yea something doesn't seem right if the Pro can happily beat the Series S and Xbox One X. Its a cross gen title, so there must be some limitation involved.

assurdum

Banned
What I think is that DF have to play it cool with the devs/pubs, and pretend to be shocked at the results, instead of outright saying that the game was rushed and needed longer in the oven. Dirt 5 should have been delayed.

Where as here, we have a game that falls into what was expected. Also, Dictator said on ree, that he had heard that Microsoft had updated their..... tools lol

Seriously, Hitman has had longer in the oven than assassins creed and all the other rushed to launch games. And it would seem that the results speak for themselves. But, I still think that some games will favour the ps5, and some the XSX going forward.
Oh I definitely agree. Though I think difference will not to be that worthy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
qpmDaml.png

How is it the same profile when PS5 texture quality is better than Pro?

ethomaz

Banned
Yea something doesn't seem right if the Pro can happily beat the Series S and Xbox One X. Its a cross gen title, so there must be some limitation involved.
It is very weird.
Like I said looks like they took their time with PS4 Pro and fast ported it to PS5 with a res bump and high quality textures.

Last edited:
With RT, next gen consoles would be limited to 30fps though. And after all the effort with traditional lighting and reflection techniques, it's understandable that they would just stick with those and push for high framerate.
Maybe the option will come in the future.

But it's a good thing that devs are for the most part choosing smooth decent framerate over ray tracing.

well i usually don't mind 30fps in 3rd person games. but even if 60fps was a must, they could have hit that with SVOGI on PS5 and XSX. but we won't see this as long as they need to drag last gen around with them.

Dolomite

The biggest take from this, outside if the obvious, is that sweet sweet Series S performance parity.

It means the GDK scaling works

Concern

The same video where it drops down to 0fps but things are still moving in the background and you cant notice any hitches/drops when it goes down to 40 and up to 60 constantly?

Im not sure since I can't keep up with everything in this thread while at work. Point is there drops on both, just fanboys choosing to ignore one and put the other under a microscope.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
What's hilarious is that because Hitman has VR mode on PS, it's prioritizing FPS over resolution.

And yet somehow people are considering that a loss? I mean, I know there's desperation on one side because the trend hasnt been as good for that side but this is beyond hilarious.
You do know you have to use the PS4 version of the game to use VR as it’s not implemented on ps5 as of yet

ethomaz

Banned
The biggest take from this, outside if the obvious, is that sweet sweet Series S performance parity.

It means the GDK scaling works
How you reached that conclusion if the weaker PS4 Pro delivery more? I mean something is wrong with Series S port too... it should at least have better settings than PS4 Pro... not lower.

Edit - Something is fish with XB1 X too.

Last edited:
You can't compare those star wars games because they are still running in BC mode and not native. But this one game (Hitman) is not a indication that the tables are turned, what some people think for some reason.

For me, it's just confirming that some games will run better on XsX and others better on PS5, with overall similar results.
qpmDaml.png

Why saying this is using the PS4 pro profile ? Not the same texture settings for example. And PS4 pro has shadow quality put to medium instead of low series S, but does not beat the Series S (I have seen that's clearly less stable than Series S).

edit: seems the case in this DF video for example.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
D
Same can be said for Sony. SSD, SSD, SSD at 5.5 gb/s and Kraken at 22 gb/s.

"5.5 gb/s is at least twice as fast as X"

The Hitman 3 videos show loading times where PS5 is faster than Series S by less than 1 second and faster than X by 1/3rd of a second.

It's also more than one game. Every game lately (Hitman 3, MK11, Star Wars Squadrons and someone even said DMC in hectic scenes) are all better on Series X. 4 in a row.

Don’t start this shit, since we can name a lot of shit from the XSX. Neither of the consoles are showing the SSD advantages in MP games, if you compare them to the first party titles. People even claimed that the Velocity Arch would cruch it based on some sort of software solution? Well...i am still waiting?

And the games you trying to compare. One game is BC game so you can’t compare them to native games and the others....
Let me see it, since you are saying “someone said”...lol? And MK11? Show me. Wasn’t DMC the game were the XSX also struggled so how can you say such stupid things?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The pro doesn’t run 4K textures not sure if they are high or ultra textures. So it’s less demanding on the gsme

assurdum

Banned
For me, it's just confirming that some games will run better on XsX and others better on PS5, with overall similar results.

Why saying this is using the PS4 pro profile ? Not the same texture settings for example. And PS4 pro has shadow quality put to medium instead of low series S, but does not beat the Series S (I have seen that's clearly less stable than Series S).
Texture quality are just tied to the RAM. It's not a particular tough switchs the textures resolution in different hardware configuration as other graphic options. Anyway medium shadow on ps5 doesn't makes sense at all. If PS4 pro can handle the same at 1080p 60 FPS why ps5 can't be pushed higher at 1800p? It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It is very weird.
Like I said looks like they took their time with PS4 Pro and fast ported it to PS5 with a res bump and high quality textures.
I dont know. It makes sense to me. 1800p is the logical step down from 2160p. I suppose they could do a custom resolution like 2000p that is closer to 7 million pixels than the 5.7 million pixels of 1800p, but very few titles do that. It's obvious that the PS5 isnt able to do native 4k 60 fps for this game and 3200*1800 is simply the next resolution down the list.

If it was 1620p or 1440p then yes that would mean they fast ported it to the PS5, but 1800p suggests to me that its the resolution that simply had the most consistent performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom