• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Marvel's Avengers PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

I mean....they are showing multiple instances of side by side comparisons where the game is displaying at a higher res on Ps5 but looking notoriously sharper and with better IQ on Series X.
They are showing you factual evidence that a game displaying at a higher res doesn't always translate to it looking better. How is that biased?.
I'm pretty sure PS5 never has a higher res than XSX in this game.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure PS5 never has a higher res than XSX in this game.

I thought Alex said it did at times in performance mode but resulted in subpar image due to checkerboarding.

seems like the much hyped cerny CBR is not holding up.
And it also seems ps5 do not have hardware ML for new upsampling techniques to replace CBR..

This is clearly due to being ported from PS4 Pro. The quality mode on both is nearly identical.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

The amount of wins Xbox has had last month alone is a telling sign, fact PS5 has to use Checkerboarding.

hopefully we see native 3rd party games for comparison using the full power of these consoles so we can finally see without any cross gen legacy issues

BatSu

Performance mode on PS5 (left), Series X (right)

nCoVyWW_d.webp

tenor.gif

LucidFlux

This game was already lost on me but that's a pretty weak "next-gen" upgrade imo. Not sure why Crystal Dynamics went with such a poor CB implementation when clearly DRS would have resulted in better IQ on the PS5. At least it seems to run well on everything.

Cherrypepsi

One of the better from Alex imo, Higher res =/= Image quality. Too bad the gameplay seems boring because it looks damn good sometimes.

Also, whats going on in this scene? Lighting? The Series X has better IQ and text in other scenes:
2fAytrR.png
This doesnt have anything to do with IQ, it's a different setting for depth of field

I always find it hilarious how bad licensed games can be. The studio is handed on a silver platter the characters and villains. The licensor surely helps them out with digital assets. I dont think the game studio starts from scratch with nothing to go on.
....what? No the licensor doesn't help with anything, why the hell would you think that?
The licensor only does approval, in case of marvel games, they have to approve of every single thing that goes into games, but they don't make shit. The studio makes everything from scratch, that's the entire point of licensing.
Lol these are previous gen titles. This isn't even a launch game, just patches and still not using the consoles capabilities
This is just the PS4 code ported to PS5. They're not going to re-write the game.
This is nonsense, Nixxes is a PC studio, one of the best around.
They didn't port the ps4 version to the ps5, that doesn't make any sense when you have the PC version as your base. It's also clear that there's things added that aren't available in the last gen versions.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
....what? No the licensor doesn't help with anything, why the hell would you think that?
The licensor only does approval, in case of marvel games, they have to approve of every single thing that goes into games, but they don't make shit. The studio makes everything from scratch, that's the entire point of licensing.

They didn't port the ps4 version to the ps5, that doesn't make any sense when you have the PC version as your base. It's also clear that there's things added that aren't available in the last gen versions.

No they are ported and not coded from scratch lol. Demon Souls is created from scratch not this game...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I never said they actually make it. What I said is they get assets to work off.

Every company I've worked at that licenses franchises has the licensor send our creative team assets, artwork, dimensions to work off. Even real samples in the mail so the team has a hands on feel what they are looking for.

It gets so nitty gritty, the team also gets exact photoshop colour codes to use.

No licensor is going to approve allowing a company (who has already gotten approval to make something too) is going to leave them hanging, where they have to build their own creative copying what you see on YT and Google Image search.

The only time they get nothing is if they soliciting business and ask for ideas from suppliers and the marketing team comes up with some ideas to send back what they think they can do.

Last edited:

paulyboy81

Neo Member
I thought Alex said it did at times in performance mode but resulted in subpar image due to checkerboarding.

Alex probably should have been clearer about how checkerboarding works. The actual native resolution of the PS5 version is considerably lower than the final checkerboarded output, in this case 50% on the horizontal axis.

Every company I've worked at that licenses franchises has the licensor send our creative team assets, artwork, dimensions to work off. Even real samples in the mail so the team has a hands on feel what they are looking for.

It gets so nitty gritty, the team also gets exact photoshop colour codes to use.

No licensor is going to approve allowing a company (who has already gotten approval to make something too) is going to leave them hanging, where they have to build their own creative copying what you see on YT and Google Image search.

The only time they get nothing is if they soliciting business and ask for ideas from suppliers and the marketing team comes up with some ideas to send back what they think they can do.

I dunno what companies you've worked with, but that just sounds like keeping house styles the same across the board, this doesn't exist with videogame studios unless they are literally making something based on a movie. Basically if the studio has no freedom to really do anything.
And even then, every single asset will have to be made from scratch, because even if they get some asset made for a movie, it would be completely incompatible with whatever engine they are using; they are generally far to high res or not even in triangles but splines.

So yeah they make everything from scratch and send it to the licensor for approval, this process with marvel is pretty well known. The marvel heroes devs were very open about it and the same applies currently for every single mobile marvel game.

Dr Bass

These comparisons ... they miss the point.

Watch the game in motion. Is the average buyer going to tell the difference? Nope. Not in the slightest. And they don't care.

Yes the Xbox SX has a bigger GPU, and that will show sometimes. Maybe most of the time.

But this game doesn't even look as good as Demon's Souls, so who cares? It's not a graphical showcase regardless, and it's clearly not well made. It's a cross gen game, and you can play it on your preferred platform so have at it.

What matters, over and over again is software selection. Exclusives. The Switch is killing it and has a tiny fraction of the horsepower of these machines. It doesn't matter.

I just think it's funny that people are literally arguing over zoom in close-up comparisons when this game won't move the needle a single bit, and we already saw this basic comparison when Xbox One X came out against the PS4 Pro. It, again, didn't move the needle at all, and the performance gap was much larger between those two systems.

I think it will be a lot more interesting when Xbox has a good exclusive game to check out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dunno what companies you've worked with, but that just sounds like keeping house styles the same across the board, this doesn't exist with videogame studios unless they are literally making something based on a movie. Basically if the studio has no freedom to really do anything.
And even then, every single asset will have to be made from scratch, because even if they get some asset made for a movie, it would be completely incompatible with whatever engine they are using; they are generally far to high res or not even in triangles but splines.

So yeah they make everything from scratch and send it to the licensor for approval, this process with marvel is pretty well known. The marvel heroes devs were very open about it and the same applies currently for every single mobile marvel game.
You're taking my reply too literal.

Licensors will send the company making the product licensed assets and guidelines to help them get a feel what to make (as well as be within the confines of strict stuff such as colour codes and dimensions). Dimensions are important for the artists so they make them within ratios. For example, when I saw Cat in the Hat stuff in the early 2000s I'd see drawings with dimensions so the artists have an idea how to draw the cat, hat and maybe tail within reasonable ratios. Hulk was the same thing.

I never meant the licensor sends the company 100% of all the content to use and they can't do anything else with zero freedom.

Last edited:
You're taking my reply too literal.

Licensors will send the company making the product licensed assets and guidelines to help them get a feel what to make (as well as be within the confines of strict stuff such as colour codes).

I never meant the licensor sends the company 100% of all the content to use and they can't do anything else with zero freedom.
I'm not taking anything too literal, you're not understanding the process.
There's no assets and guidelines to "help them get a feel what to make", like I said that just sounds like house styles and just doesn't exist in videogames unless it's some very strictly controlled IP, like Games Workshop's stuff.
There's no MCU games, all Marvel games are based on the comics, and they are extremely diverse to how they look, because it all depends on who the artist is; there's no "house style" or "guidelines" to follow.

These comparisons ... they miss the point.

Watch the game in motion. Is the average buyer going to tell the difference? Nope. Not in the slightest. And they don't care.

Yes the Xbox SX has a bigger GPU, and that will show sometimes. Maybe most of the time.

But this game doesn't even look as good as Demon's Souls, so who cares? It's not a graphical showcase regardless, and it's clearly not well made. It's a cross gen game, and you can play it on your preferred platform so have at it.

What matters, over and over again is software selection. Exclusives. The Switch is killing it and has a tiny fraction of the horsepower of these machines. It doesn't matter.

I just think it's funny that people are literally arguing over zoom in close-up comparisons when this game won't move the needle a single bit, and we already saw this basic comparison when Xbox One X came out against the PS4 Pro. It, again, didn't move the needle at all, and the performance gap was much larger between those two systems.

I think it will be a lot more interesting when Xbox has a good exclusive game to check out.
Have you actually seen the game running on the XSX on a 4k tv (not youtube) ? The game is actually a graphical tour de force. It basically looks CGI-quality. I bought it in the last sale and I am blown away by it, it was worth it just for the graphics alone.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Have you actually seen the game running on the XSX on a 4k tv (not youtube) ? The game is actually a graphical tour de force. It basically looks CGI-quality. I bought it in the last sale and I am blown away by it, it was worth it just for the graphics alone.
Not to some as it’s not a platform exclusive...

squarealex

For the all PS5 games... they just the only one game with Checkboarding... gg Crystal Dynamics... nice mess up for porting the PS4 Pro version on PS5.

But anyway... who cares this game ?

Methos#1975

The game looks jaw dropping. Just the opening gameplay sequence alone is.....wow.
I'll position that 99% of the people here posting have never played this game, especially the next gen version of it. I bought it last Thursday when the update dropped it and played it to completion in sweet Dolby Vision over the weekend. It's honestly not a bad game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom