• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Quantum Break: Better on DirectX 11! Gameplay Frame-Rate Tests

Zedox

Makes sense. Nvidia made cards better designed around DX11 from what I gather, and AMD did with DX12/Mantle. And with the team more comfortable with DX11 (which probably makes the biggest impact)

Caayn

I think that this goes to show that a low level API is a powerful tool but you need to invest a lot more to fully master it. Remedy being more comfortable with a high level API such as DX11 shows.

jediyoshi

Welp, of all the games this could have happened to, I'd rather it be one I'm not in a hurry to return to.

I think that this goes to show that a low level API is a powerful tool but you need to invest a lot more to fully master it. Remedy being more comfortable with a high level API such as DX11 shows.

That could be completely irrelevant. Blame DX12 performance on the 970/Nvidia.

So how much is Microsoft responsible for the Windows Store port, and who's to thank for the Steam port then?

Also, DX 272637 or whatever couldn't save this game. Save your money for a sale.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Finally an actual comparison, thank you DF, you guys do quality work. Almost a consistent difference of 10 FPS in the DX11 versions favour for that beginning segment, whoah.

Makes sense. Nvidia made cards better designed around DX11 from what I gather, and AMD did with DX12/Mantle
This most likely has nothing to do with it and is a bit of a misappraissal of what it means that GPUs are made for low-level APIs.
And with the team more comfortable with DX11 (which probably makes the biggest impact)
I would imagine this is only half the answer. Rather, I bet Remedy had not even a few months to create the original DX12 renderer, thus how terrible it was. MS just did not give them the time.
----
Does anyone have both versions of the game and would be willing to test something for me? I noted how the DX12 Win10 release of QB on NV, with an uncapped framerate @ 4K, ended up utilising 20% less power or so than DX11 titles with similar settings (uncapped framerate @ 4k), thus implying that the GPUs units were being underutilised. Can anyone test to see if the Power % / utilisation in MSI Afterburner is infact about 20% higher in the DX11 release of QB than the DX12 Win 10 one?

Qassim

If AMD's DX12 performance was better than NVIDIA's DX11 performance (or even AMD's own DX11 performance), then yeah, there would maybe be something in there - but it isn't this game.

Justinh

I think if Microsoft want people to not laugh in their face re: Windows 10 apps for games they should really be helping the developers who aren't familiar with the platform get the games running at an acceptable level, and really should be getting them running at a better than good level if they want any reason, any reason at all for people to want to buy games on their new, unproven (disproven? is that appropriate? is that even a word?) platform.

Didn't they do something where they helped the Destiny, or was it Diablo 3 devs getting those games working well enough on the Xbox One? I think they need to do more of that.

Zedox

This most likely has nothing to do with it and is a bit of a misappraissal.

I would imagine this is only half the answer. Rather, I bet remedy had not even a few months to create the original DX12 renderer, thus how terrible it was. MS just did not give them the time.

Fair enough, and I wasn't so sure of the first half as well just knowing going off of info I heard about how AMD was architecting their stuff. Remedy definitely needed more time to do the port justice there's no mistaking that. I just hope at some point in time MS decides to bring this IP back, game is a blast to play and I love the storyline.

Durante

Actually, when DX12 performs worse than DX11 then that is one of the very few cases you can always squarely put "blame" on the developers. They have all the tools to make their game run as well or better than in DX11 in DX12.

Of course, it's rather silly to "blame" anyone.
Instead, it is a good time to come to the realization of just how well a good DX11 driver manages the hardware.

4jjiyoon

yup im getting pretty decent performance with a 970 on high. mostly 60fps. like the video shows, turn a couple things to medium and its a solid.

I wonder if MS realizes how bad this makes the Win10 version look. If I were MS I'd make Remedy patch in DX11 to the W10 version aswell.

low-G

Just like the PS3 & Saturn. All that hidden potential.

We're in a high level programming world. That potential will never be tapped.

The entire purpose of DX12 is contrary to what you just said. Blame AMD for bad drivers outside of DX12.

Fair enough, and I wasn't so sure of the first half as well just knowing going off of info I heard about how AMD was architecting their stuff.
NP, mate. Hope I did not come off harsh in response (probably did :/). I just do not want this game to be used as some GPU-Vendor wars crap.
Remedy definitely needed more time to do the port justice there's no mistaking that. I just hope at some point in time MS decides to bring this IP back, game is a blast to play and I love the storyline.
MS using this game in the shoe-horned way they did to push out DX12 and Win 10 store (in spite of both not being ready in the time given) is a huge shame. I can only imagine remedy was not very happy. And yeah, I think the game has some great elements in it (mainly on the gameplay side), which were completely overshadowed by its technical problems and its association with the whole TV-era MS stuff (let's be honest, the TV show in the game is an artifact of those original xb1 decisions).

I was honestly surprised with how well it ran on my 980 at 2k, and ultra textures, with some setting on high and medium. Game runs and looks amazing.

TSM

That's the point. The developer is directly responsible for the DX12 performance. It's not that Remedy couldn't have achieved the DX11 performance in DX12, it's that Remedy was incapable of doing so. Seeing as how big a seller the 970 ended up being, Remedy should have put a lot of focus on performance there. With DX11 Remedy could avoid that situation and let Nvidia's drivers do most of the work.

I think the biggest take away from this is that if someone isn't employing technical wizards, the studio should probably use a high level API and let Nvidia do the heavy lifting for them.

EGM1966

So...quick view on Steam DX11 version on a GTX 1080 with i7 and 16GB RAM? Decent enough performance now? Working trying? I'd imagine so but the initial performance on W10 Store put me off the title on PC but I'm still interested in giving it a try.

gdt

After turning off scaling, I had to mess around with some lighting settings to get it to an acceptable place. Game is mostly....ok now on a 980ti.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That's the point. The developer is directly responsible for the DX12 performance. It's not that Remedy couldn't have achieved the DX11 performance in DX12, it's that Remedy was incapable of doing so. Seeing as how big a seller the 970 ended up being, Remedy should have put a lot of focus on performance there. With DX11 Remedy could avoid that situation and let Nvidia's drivers do most of the work.

I think the biggest take away from this is that if someone isn't employing technical wizards, the studio should probably use a high level API and let Nvidia do the heavy lifting for them.

Or use a 3rd party engine with high quality DX12 support. The worst that could happen is an overambitious developer with a custom engine but without the expertise to write close to the metal.

It's never getting dx11 support.

That's terrible to leave the game in a state like that, wow.

Why did this game launch only with DX12, it seems pretty forced. UWP?

I also wonder what caused those driver crashes for the GTX 970 under DX12, that's very odd to see months later with the latest drivers.

Zedox

NP, mate. Hope I did not come off harsh in response (probably did :/). I just do not want this game to be used as some GPU-Vendor wars crap.

MS using this game in the shoe-horned way they did to push out DX12 and Win 10 store (in spite of both not being ready in the time given) is a huge shame. I can only imagine remedy was not very happy. And yeah, I think the game has some great elements in it (mainly on the gameplay side), which were completely overshadowed by its technical problems and its association with the whole TV-era MS stuff (let's be honest, the TV show in the game is an artifact of those original xb1 decisions).

Nah, I didn't take it the wrong way, I understand your concern. I don't care about a Nvidia v. AMD. I was just pointing out that, that could be the reason for the performance difference in DX12. I currently have a AMD card (really old, like a HD 6770 Sapphire or something, I forget...that's how long, haha) but would get a 1070 if I had the funds, and I may when I do so I hold no alliance to cards at all.

MS definitely rushed this port and QB is definitely an artifact of the original Xbox stuff, but if you remember it was shown at the launch of the system and didn't make it until this year. They definitely had no idea about developing the game on DX12. I still love the game (my GOTY so far) for the story in itself. Loved it. I will automatically buy a sequel just for the story. lol. I hope MS will bring it back someday. Remedy was clearly unhappy about that situation with MS. And it's sad to see that their direction going now. But oh well.

So is there any downside to the DX11 version versus DX12, like any missing effects or anything?

Very annoying if I have to pay again to get 1080/60 after buying this already on windows store. Wont be buying any more windows store games if this is the case

LostDonkey

I gave it a curious whirl last night (Win store edition) and they still haven't fixed the floating earpiece thing. Turned it straight off again.

Sad.

I really enjoyed it on XB1 but the PC version is a joke.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
AMD keeps winning with DX12, AMD's DX12 performance is pretty much on par with Nvidia's DX11 performance. It's disappointing that AMD didn't get a boost with DX11 though.

I think this is a case where you can lay the blame on both the developer and Nvidia.

AMD keeps winning with DX12, AMD's DX12 performance is pretty much on par with Nvidia's DX11 performance.

26726_700b.jpg

Top Bottom