• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF raise some good points regarding PSVR2 in a recent video

ABnormal

Sony has pushed their 1st party IP significantly. Horizon and god of war had a TON of marketing.
Yes, but that's just for first party titles. And they have almost none on PSVR2. And as said, in addition to that, they are probably relying more on word of mouth.

ABnormal

Are you kidding me? They spend tons of money for the marketing of their big AAAs.
That's just on first party titles, and they have almost no such games on PSVR2. There's nothing to make marketing on. And as said, it is not the same thing for VR, which has to be experienced directly and thoroughly.

ABnormal

I believe the "hybrid games" thingy was just something from a PSVR youtuber.
No, it came out from several people who were present in a closed doors presentation by Sony. And all the other leaked details came out being correct. It was an official meeting.

Griffon

Whether I disagree with this or not, I think you’re missing the point. The hardware being tethered doesn’t stop Sony from marketing the games more. Why spend millions on new hardware to then go radio silent?
Low sales and low ROI tends to do that to products.

UnNamed

Banned
PSVR suffers from the same problems standard games have: modern games required lot of effort and money to he produced, modern VR games required the same money and time, but with a fraction of the userbase.
So many developers simply don't care about VR since is not convenient for them. That's why many VR games are indie-like or concept-based. In the long run, PSVR will suffer of the same problem as PSVita.

DF talking about sells data and marketing? What does it have to do with the tech itself? Whats the point?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I think the biggest point that many here don't see is that Psv2 is more expensive than the console itself. Sony would have to come down significantly with the price. Sure there is a lack of games and advertising, but as long as Vr is so expensive and hardly gets any marketing, nothing will change.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
The VR hype has passed , just like motion controls / Wii / Kinect. It’s also not very convenient technology for mass market adaption by casuals . Sony knows this , so why put money and effort in VR?
You comparing motion controls to
...VR? You never used one right?
VR tech is including motion controls, stereoscopic 3D, headtracking, eyetracking, spacial audio and bunch of other advanced tech. It's even hard to understand what you mean because Sony not forcing you to use VR, it will never be mandatory and never meant to be.

Markio128

If you expecting me to pay $750 CAD for this device that has barely any games that I would enjoy, you are out of your fucking mind.
The point is, you wouldn’t know if there were any games you would like. That’s the problem. If you watched the DF vid, they make the point that there are some great games for the system - just recently being Synapse and Red Matter 2, however, because the games aren’t big IP’s, they don’t get any exposure.

Markio128

I recently saw Ian from Eurogamer playing a mod for Uncharted 4 on PC, and it looked awesome. This is what I was expecting from Sony - more hybrid versions of their big games. How good would Death Stranding be in VR? R&C? Why can’t they build a team like Bluepoint to do just that? It’s obvious that GT7 garnered the most media attention.

Klik

PSVR 2 should have been:

1.Wireless

2.it should have Pancake lens instead of old Fresnel lens

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
No, it came out from several people who were present in a closed doors presentation by Sony. And all the other leaked details came out being correct. It was an official meeting.

Show some proof where you read it from if that’s the case

sinnergy

You comparing motion controls to
...VR? You never used one right?
VR tech is including motion controls, stereoscopic 3D, headtracking, eyetracking, spacial audio and bunch of other advanced tech. It's even hard to understand what you mean because Sony not forcing you to use VR, it will never be mandatory and never meant to be.
I did , but it’s not convenient at all. From a technical perspective PS VR2 is great, but VR is not ready for mass adoption, and to me it looks like PS VR2 isn’t the hit Sony hoped it would be , even with their massive install base of PS5s. So I totally understand that they put their resources elsewhere .

Last edited:

nbkicker

And one of the reasons i didnt buy into sony psvr 2 after getting the first one and sony just left it with odd title over the years and left it to third party to support, mind u i seen a lot more advertising from sony with the origonal psvr, cant remember when u last seen the psvr 2 advertised, plus as usual wheres sony first party games for the psvr at ??, for me ill stick with my quest 2 and will prob pickup a quest 3 come xmas rather then the psvr2

ABnormal

Show some proof where you read it from if that’s the case
Here are two of the articles, which in turn bring other sources:

The meeting leaked from multiple sources, even developers.

Last edited:
I do agree hybrid games are probably the easiest/safest route to take to get more people into the ecosystem. The problem with developing games for psvr is the same problem they had with the vita, and also nintendo when their handheld and console were separate. It just takes too many resources to do both and financially isn't going to be worth it. Exclusives don't make sense when the market is too small.

Honestly I think the best solution would be if valve and sony formed some kind of partnership, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

VR is still a pretty niche thing right now, and if you want to become market leader and/or expand that market, you need to take a loss at first. Jim Ryan’s Sony, so far, has been about profit max and coasting off PS4’s success and giant userbase.

PSVR2 is a decent set of hardware but I have no idea why they launched it when they did. There are no must-have titles. There needs to at least be an HL: Alyx caliber halo game that shows “this is what’s possible” and a believable promise of future support in the foreseeable future. Until Sony is ready to commit, PSVR2’s library will continue to struggle with the chicken and the egg problem.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Hugare

I said this before, Sony can't focus on more then one project.
This is why their handheld suffered as well as some other dumb decisions that they never even bothered to rectify, and it's why PSVR suffered too.
They excel at one while the other falls behind
Now the PSVR2 and to a smaller extent the PS5 will suffer while they focus on streaming and porting to squeeze another 10% sales boost out of the their library.
And like I said before I have no problems with them doing that as long as they're delivering on both fields, but they simply can't do both.
Exactly, but its not a Sony problem

Its the reason why Vita died, why Xbox have never released a handheld, and why the Switch is an hybrid console.

Games are expensive as ever, and separating your customers in more than one platform is just dumb. Commercialy, why would you do that? Few people would be able to buy multiple platforms.

Sony should make PSVR 2 PC compatible so it can survive on its own. But they are probably taking a loss with each unit, so they need software to sell at PS Store.

AlphaMale

I'm getting PSVR2 soley for Gran Turismo 7.
(just having a problem finding enough space in my game room to fit the chair + steering wheel...)

diffusionx

Gold Member
Psvr2 needs more aaa hybrid titles like gt7 and re village
Nah, they need more unique titles that you can't experience on a TV, like Astro Bot.

As cool as regular games in VR are, games need to really take advantage of the medium. It's a totally new platform and games should be designed for it. That said sims like racers and flight sims are a natural fit.

Those rumors are 6 months or more older, still nothing. It doesn't take that long for other quest or pcvr ports so looks like typical "leaker" trust me bro nonsense.
yea I remember reading for years that RE7 VR was definitely headed to PC, either put up or shut up.

ArtHands

Here are two of the articles, which in turn bring other sources:

The meeting leaked from multiple sources, even developers.

Sorry, UploadVR only confirmed the event happened, but didn't verify the hybrid strategy was talk about.
GameRadar only parroted them

The information about the Sony summit was first shared by YouTube channel PSVR Without Parole, and UploadVR independently verified that the meeting happened earlier this week.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Exactly, but its not a Sony problem

Its the reason why Vita died, why Xbox have never released a handheld, and why the Switch is an hybrid console.

Games are expensive as ever, and separating your customers in more than one platform is just dumb. Commercialy, why would you do that? Few people would be able to buy multiple platforms.

Sony should make PSVR 2 PC compatible so it can survive on its own. But they are probably taking a loss with each unit, so they need software to sell at PS Store.
I didn't want to bring Nintendo & MS into it for obvious reasons.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I did , but it’s not convenient at all. From a technical perspective PS VR2 is great, but VR is not ready for mass adoption, and to me it looks like PS VR2 isn’t the hit Sony hoped it would be , even with their massive install base of PS5s. So I totally understand that they put their resources elsewhere .
Sorry! I misunderstood you a bit.
Yeah VR is very niche and hard to advertise. Also developing VR games is even harder. I can't see how this can be more profitable than making 'normal' games. But still it's the best all around VR helmet for a long time in the future. Also game library is solid for such niche market with some excellent exclusives. But I agree - something like Alyx Remaster on this hardware will blow everyone and force to buy a ton of helmets again. I'm eager to try Red Matter 2 on this! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

sncvsrtoip

Nah, they need more unique titles that you can't experience on a TV, like Astro Bot.

As cool as regular games in VR are, games need to really take advantage of the medium. It's a totally new platform and games should be designed for it. That said sims like racers and flight sims are a natural fit.
Disagree, gt7 and village are by far best two titles. VR base is too small for creating strictly vr aaa title.

Last edited:

Reallink

yea I remember reading for years that RE7 VR was definitely headed to PC, either put up or shut up.

It was, Capcom and Sony's official marketing material had a *12 month exclusive asterisk in the fine print. Sony just re-upped the contract in perpetuity when they realized it was the closest thing to a system seller their platform would ever see.

Reallink

PSVR 2 should have been:

1.Wireless

2.it should have Pancake lens instead of old Fresnel lens

3. And done away with their terrible patented headstrap that puts 100lbs of pressure on a 1" square of your forehead and hair follicles.

Last edited:

phant0m

The VR market is pretty much 90% Standalone Oculus Quest. The people have already spoken: tethered VR is dead.
The writing was on the wall a long time before PSVR2's release, but Sony ignored it.

Deckard will be the next big step.

Yup. I owned OG PSVR but once I got my Quest there was no going back. I’m glad they sorted out not needing all the “stuff” (breakout box, camera) but hardwire is still a no from me at this point. Actually pretty excited for Quest 3 though

Audiophile

Gold Member
In terms of the hardware I look at it a little differently. High end VR headsets are still a niche that cannot yet be provided to the consumer at accessible prices. If you want a PSVR2 and have the funds you've probably decided that you're going to get it already. An excess of marketing at this particular point might just be a case of Sony throwing money down a well for little extra gain. There's a degree of asymmetry that comes in to play. I don't think VR is dead, it's likely just a case of a sustainable niche that Sony is steadily maintaining while the tech progresses. Right now it's likely a case of breaking even while providing brand prestige and most-importantly gaining experience in the space.

A smart play would be to push a second PSVR2 wave around 2025-2026 consisting of ramped-up marketing, new software releases (port Alyx across too!) and aggressive price dropping wherever possible. Then hopefully by the second year of the next generation (~2030) they'll be able to put out a lighter, less bulky, wireless headset at <80% console price; and things can really start to pick up.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Yes, but that's just for first party titles. And they have almost none on PSVR2. And as said, in addition to that, they are probably relying more on word of mouth.
I think you just hit the core of the problem. They aren’t(from what we have seen) making any bespoken games for the psvr2. They need to invest in big, NEW, unique games that you can’t get anywhere else. That would drive discussion.

Even if they are releasing great games that are ports that isn’t enough to drive new customers to purchase a psvr2.

yurinka

I mean after that, in their last quarterly report where they update on console sales, game sales etc.

If there are no numbers then it’s bad (as we all know).
As far as I remember, Sony never updated VR headset sales in a quarterly reports. So there was no reason to expect to see them there.

As part of the expanded info they share in FY report this time they made an exception and included PSVR2 sales, maybe just to highlight that its release was successful and in line of what they mentioned that they expected (slightly better sales than PSVR1).

And well, maybe they wanted to publicly debunk again the lies and FUD from Bloomberg.

Jim cut all the fun and the risk taking from Sony, i can definitely see PSVR2 being the obvious next thing to kill. Especially since, as you say, everything was done before him.
Bullshit. Jim released Dreams, made the China Hero Project, India Hero Project, let Yoshida move to support indies, grew a lot the headcount of all their teams, made many acquisitions, spent record amount in 2nd and 3rd party deals and wanted to expand hard in brand new areas like shooters, MP, GaaS, PC, mobile and cinema/tv adaptations at the same time.

Jim could have killed PSVR2 in 2019, like 4 years before release. Instead he signed PSVR2 versions of REVillage, RE4R, GT7 and an Horizon for the PSVR2 launch plus a bigger and better lineup for at least its first year. And PSVR2 is selling slightly better than PSVR1 in line with their expectations, so I don't see why they would want to kill it when Sony is investing in VR more than ever and is performing well, as they estimated.

If marketing doesn't pick up for Christmas, then there will be room for concern.
Whatever they do you will find some excuse to be "concerned"

That word of mouth must be insane, because record sales numbers should indicate that they spend record amount of money in marketing.

And well, Horizon CoM, Gran Turismo 7 or Firewall Ultra are 1st party games too.

Last edited:

yurinka

This is bare minimum. I mean, if they didn't even had this, you would have basically zero games to play on it.
Bullshit, no other VR device that this amount of top tier AAA IPs at launch. In fact, they didn't have any.

I am talking about something exciting, like Half Life Alyx at least. Or something even more groundbreaking, they must have some ideas, wouldn't launch an expensive product without that.
If you ask for Half Life Alyx, why don't you also ask for the next Mario and Forza too? Oh, the evil and lazy Jimbo doesn't want to put the next Mario in PSVR2, he must be fired! xDDD

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
PSVR 2 feels like the Vita to me: A phenomenal piece of hardware that will never get the attention and software it deserves.

I loved what I played in VR but we really need the hardware to back it before is becomes anything close to mainstream, it’s just too much of a suck on resources to keep a 90+ fps framerate. And implementation is few and far between for most studios, almost no major games even bother, and when they do a fair amount of the time it ends up kinda broken like the Hitman VR mode.

I think VR will keep going with the racing/sim communities alone though. ‘No Man’s Sky’, ‘Elite Dangerous’, ‘iRacing’, ‘Flight Simulator’ A good chunk of the online racing/sim community is essentially tied to VR. So while not necessarily gaining traction, I think it will still hold tight.

I still see it becoming mainstream in the future, at least as a general media viewer (virtual screens, AR etc.) but a looong way off.

Last edited:

Tams

As far as I remember, Sony never updated VR headset sales in a quarterly reports. So there was no reason to expect to see them there.

As part of the expanded info they share in FY report this time they made an exception and included PSVR2 sales, maybe just to highlight that its release was successful and in line of what they mentioned that they expected (slightly better sales than PSVR1).

And well, maybe they wanted to publicly debunk again the lies and FUD from Bloomberg.

Bullshit. Jim released Dreams, made the China Hero Project, India Hero Project, let Yoshida move to support indies, grew a lot the headcount of all their teams, made many acquisitions, spent record amount in 2nd and 3rd party deals and wanted to expand hard in brand new areas like shooters, MP, GaaS, PC, mobile and cinema/tv adaptations at the same time.

Jim could have killed PSVR2 in 2019, like 4 years before release. Instead he signed PSVR2 versions of REVillage, RE4R, GT7 and an Horizon for the PSVR2 launch plus a bigger and better lineup for at least its first year. And PSVR2 is selling slightly better than PSVR1 in line with their expectations, so I don't see why they would want to kill it when Sony is investing in VR more than ever and is performing well, as they estimated.

Whatever they do you will find some excuse to be "concerned"

That word of mouth must be insane, because record sales numbers should indicate that they spend record amount of money in marketing.

And well, Horizon CoM, Gran Turismo 7 or Firewall Ultra are 1st party games too.

Geez mate, I give Sony some slack and that's still not good enough for you.

Learn to pick your battles better.

The whole VR2 strategy is weird, as though VR1 never existed and no lessons could be learned.
Beside two hybrid games GT and RE practically no one cares for all those VR exclusives, despite some being very okay, which was similar with VR1. So why did no one get the memo that hybrid games is what matters and exclusives might be more viable later, if the platform actually takes off and or for VR3.
No VR exclusive should exist, yet. Beside Eagle Flight I don't have played a VR1 game, that isn't possible on flat screens, with minor adjustments. Even the tech demo game VR Worlds could just be a move game, or have just regular dualshock controls.
Sony should have hired or formed some Nixxes like group, porting VR1 stuff and refine all the unofficial PC-VR ports to offer a buttload of games with VR options and in parallel built them up to be the support team for inhouse projects and also externals for VR questions and problems. VR should have been mandadory to some extent, because it is possible with basically every genre, at least a 3D cinema mode for fighters and visual novels.
But all we got lately for months is Synapse to attract new sales? A game that might be better than I think it is, but damn, even the Vita got way better support. Golden Abyss was alright and even third parties could be bothered to make terrible to mediocre games of their main games. With Bethesda most probably gone, all others seem reluctant and only Capcom is left. And Sony themselves are MIA, or do all those GaaS maybe have VR modes?

ArtHands

Mostly because Sony doesn’t want to invest a lot of money on it. Horizon is an obligatory token game while Gran Turismo 7 is an easy VR effort.

They haven’t even port over their PSVR1 games.

Ar¢tos

Jim cut all the fun and the risk taking from Sony, i can definitely see PSVR2 being the obvious next thing to kill. Especially since, as you say, everything was done before him.
Why kill something that is being sold at profit and has good 3rd party (yes, mostly indies, but that's irrelevant) support?
If they are making money, why would they kill it? Where is the logic in that?

Since when does something needs to be a huge success to be profitable and worth making/supporting?

Xbox wouldn't still be around if that was the case.

Celine

Marketing money are spent based on the expectation of the entity of the success.
It's like when in 2013-2014 Vita bros were lamenting Sony for not going all out for PSV and begging Sony to makes more ads so that the console could become a bit more popular, not understanding that Sony planning of the investments was dictated by PSV being a commercial failure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom