• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Doom - Every Console Port Tested!

It's time!

id software’s Doom played a key part in gaming’s transition from two to three dimensions, and its legacy of technical innovation continues to this day. On this episode of DF Retro, John explores its origins on the PC before comparing and contrasting this against every official console conversion. There's a lot of ground to cover so buckle up for the longest episode of DF Retro yet.

Console footage captured using a combination of the Micomsoft Framemeister and the Open Source Scan Converter. All consoles were captured using RGB except 3DO and N64 which use s-video instead.

Acidote

Only watched the very first few minutes, saving it for tonight, but is there a very very VERY minor desynchronization starting around the 1:59 to 2:00 minute mark? I felt something off there when he talked, like image before sound.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Only watched the very first few minutes, saving it for tonight, but is there a very very VERY minor desynchronization starting around the 1:59 to 2:00 minute mark? I felt something off there when he talked, like image before video.
Dang, I thought I got that right. Tough to line it up just right.

Acidote

Dang, I thought I got that right. Tough to line it up just right.

Editing is a pain in the ass and it is very a slight desync, if it is actually there and not something on my end. Very good job on everything df retro related. I'm always wondering what will come next when I watch one of your videos.

And with video I obviously meant sound ;-)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Highly enjoyable video, though I would have liked to see coverage of Doom for PC-98 as well.

I played the shit out of GBA Doom, even with 2/3 of the levels and 2-3 of the monsters missing. Was an absolute marvel to me back in 2002.

Really hoping we get Doom Classic ported to the newest wave of systems, hurts it never got ported to Vita!

liquidtmd

Banned
The history behind the 3DO version of Doom is insane.

A manager's threat of the ages is born

"Don't piss me off or I'll get you to go port Doom to the 3DO in a few weeks in a room by yourself with nothing but dissembled code and biscuits for company"!!

PsionBolt

Super informative and interesting. Overall a great watch. GBA Doom was the one that really impressed me back in the day!

...I have to say, though, having never seen a DF Retro video before -- the editing was really off-putting. The off-screen TV shots were distracting and thoroughly unhelpful (it's not like filming a TV is representative of how it looks on a TV), the jump cuts and weird fades at the start of each game's section were confusing, and the four-and-a-half-minutes of nothing at the start sapped a lot of my interest (luckily I managed to push through).

But yeah, complaints aside, I was still pretty impressed by the level of detail and research, and I'll definitely go back and check out a few more DF Retro videos for more of that stuff.

orava

HFfuRLk.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Super informative and interesting. Overall a great watch. GBA Doom was the one that really impressed me back in the day!

...I have to say, though, having never seen a DF Retro video before -- the editing was really off-putting. The off-screen TV shots were distracting and thoroughly unhelpful (it's not like filming a TV is representative of how it looks on a TV), the jump cuts and weird fades at the start of each game's section were confusing, and the four-and-a-half-minutes of nothing at the start sapped a lot of my interest (luckily I managed to push through).

But yeah, complaints aside, I was still pretty impressed by the level of detail and research, and I'll definitely go back and check out a few more DF Retro videos for more of that stuff.
A lot of it is experimentation on my part. I've never done filmed tv bits before but decided to try it to mix things up. Your feedback is useful on gauging what works and what doesn't. I did the whole episode in three days so I never got a chance to step back and examine it closely to improve pacing.

Great video, I played the playstation version as a kid and owned the gba version while at college, I remember my teacher being super impressed that the gba was playing doom so well.

A lot of it is experimentation on my part. I've never done filmed tv bits before but decided to try it to mix things up. Your feedback is useful on gauging what works and what doesn't. I did the whole episode in three days so I never got a chance to step back and examine it closely to improve pacing.

I will add my two cents and say that it was useful seeing the GBA port being played and filmed on a real GBA. I would have been curious to see how it looks with an OG screen as well.

PS: are you saying "jag-you-are"? C'mon! I know you live in Europe but embrace the bastardization that is "jag-wire"!! Mouahahaha!

BTails

Oh yeah, can't wait to watch this. DF Retro always makes Sunday mornings great. This one is gonna be good, especially considering the only console port of Doom I'm familiar with is the GBA conversion.

PsionBolt

It's great to see a creator take criticism on the chin like that! To be honest, I flip-flopped a bit on whether or not to post complaints at all, because I didn't want to set a negative mood in a thread for a video that was otherwise quite enjoyable -- but now I'm glad I did. I look forward to your continuing efforts!

I will add my two cents and say that it was useful seeing the GBA port being played and filmed on a real GBA. I would have been curious to see how it looks with an OG screen as well.

Of all the off-screen shots, the GBA ones did make the most sense, since unlike TVs, handheld screens are a predetermined thing. The notably non-backlit GBA screen would have been a good reason to use off-srceen footage, if they had went with that.

ibrahima

Banned
Really strong episode. It would be good to hear more about the ports that were coming out at the time from a development and marketing perspective, seems like so many teams were racing to come out with a port at the time on both home consoles and computers.

Doom 64 is worth a video in and of itself, people really didn't like it at the time due to Quake being the new hotness.

Sapiens

Amazing work. As usual.

I wonder if we'll ever get the opportunity to see the original version of Saturn Doom - I wonder if it looked/ran somewhat similar to Powerslave or Duke.

I was kinda hoping that the vault would finally be opened on that one for your video, but alas, it remains a mystery like Saturn VF3.

Thanks again, John. Talent + Work Ethic = You.

Vlaphor

Three things.

First: Fantastic Video

Two: Once again, I'll tell the world that while the 3do version of Doom is the worst, the soundtrack is the best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjEx292Ph8M

Three: When they held the GBA at an angle and played Doom...I kinda felt dizzy watching it. Don't know if that's just me, or the effect of watching an FPS at an angle, but I had to look away after a bit.

nkarafo

I always found it funny how with the early ports of Doom in last/cross gen machines, the better the music was the worst the game was running:

3DO - Best music quality - worst frame rate
SNES - OK music quality - mediocre frame rate
32X - Bad music quality - good frame rate
Jaguar - No music - best frame rate

Top Bottom