• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Resident Evil 2 - Classic Survival Horror - Every Version Analysed!

Kazza

This was a fun one to make. It's the last DF Retro of 2018 too, I suppose.

It was fun to watch too.

Being a Saturn owner, I never got to play RE2 back in the day. I was just going to wait for the remake, but your video has convinced me to give the original a whirl first.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Been waiting for this all week. I look forward to washing my love spuds in the bath later while this is on. Might not be the viewing John wanted, but a clicks a click :)

Good stuff man :)

Kazza

Been waiting for this all week. I look forward to washing my love spuds in the bath later while this is on. Might not be the viewing John wanted, but a clicks a click :)

Good stuff man :)

That's a scarier and more horrifying image than anything in any Resident Evil game :messenger_face_screaming:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
That’s not scary... the scary part is I’m actually typing these messages on an old school type writer while in the shower... Stay retro.

Last edited:

kunonabi

A super sentai writer explains a lot in terms of RE's story and characters going to shit.

I tend to switch between the gc and DC versions depending on my mood although I tend to replay it way less than the other classic RE entries. I may try and see if I can track down my PS version that went missing.

nkarafo

The DF retro series was the reason i subbed. I would love to be able to sub to just that instead of having other DF videos showing up on my sub feed though. But it's still worth it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Great video. Should have mentioned what version the crap music in the ending bit was from though, what if someone goes out to buy the game based on you bringing attention to it but has no idea that one of the PS1 versions has that little change to it, lol!

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
So on consoles the most impressive and best versions are GameCube and Dreamcast.

The worst and least impressive is N64. That looks horrible. Everything downgraded and so blurry. What to expect when having to downsize and cut everything to fit that cartridge. The only impressive part of it was the audio. Definitely not worth it at all though, since the same audio and much better graphics are best played elsewhere.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The N64 is the most impressive, by a long long way. Imagine, if you will, having to download 100gb for Red Dead 2.

And then the switch comes out and looks just slightly more blurry, and fits into an 8gb card.

That’s the sort of magic you are dealing with here. It’s not the most impressive looking, no. And even after al these years I still have no idea why they messed with the character textures... but RE2 in the N64 is actual voodoo magic. Shit like this isn’t seen. Ever.

TLZ

Banned
The N64 is the most impressive, by a long long way. Imagine, if you will, having to download 100gb for Red Dead 2.

And then the switch comes out and looks just slightly more blurry, and fits into an 8gb card.

That’s the sort of magic you are dealing with here. It’s not the most impressive looking, no. And even after al these years I still have no idea why they messed with the character textures... but RE2 in the N64 is actual voodoo magic. Shit like this isn’t seen. Ever.
That's not magic. That's an incredibly downgraded ugly looking game, made to cut a million corners to be desperately fit on a much much smaller medium.L Let's just call it as it is.

Same with the Switch versions. They're not impressive at all. They're much downgraded versions. The only impressive part to me is Switch playing games needing very minimal power, 10-14 watts.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That N64 version is ninja..

I played it on the PSOne many times. Really good game, my favorite RE after RE4. A masterpiece for sure, and it's still great.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
That's not magic. That's an incredibly downgraded ugly looking game, made to cut a million corners to be desperately fit on a much much smaller medium.L Let's just call it as it is.

Same with the Switch versions. They're not impressive at all. They're much downgraded versions. The only impressive part to me is Switch playing games needing very minimal power, 10-14 watts.

I don’t think you understand technology and why X and Y, two products, can both be amazing.

You have to understand the time period and not take the shit you get today for granted. Back then, N64 games didn’t have video, or voice even nearly all the time. RE2 has both. Yes, it’s not pixel perfect compared to others. Yes, there are better ways to play. But the fact they not only got it on there AT ALL, but got it on there in such a way they DIDNT cut corners, is an amazing feat. Any other developer of the time would have had no voice samples, would have had no video and just static pics, and would have had poor music. Think about what it was they were actually doing. It’s damn magic, and something I’m amazed by to this day.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I want to get the DC versions of RE2 and RE3 but they are so expensive now. Good video. This is my first time seeing the scrapped RE2 footage.

Alexios

I don’t think you understand technology and why X and Y, two products, can both be amazing.

You have to understand the time period and not take the shit you get today for granted. Back then, N64 games didn’t have video, or voice even nearly all the time. RE2 has both. Yes, it’s not pixel perfect compared to others. Yes, there are better ways to play. But the fact they not only got it on there AT ALL, but got it on there in such a way they DIDNT cut corners, is an amazing feat. Any other developer of the time would have had no voice samples, would have had no video and just static pics, and would have had poor music. Think about what it was they were actually doing. It’s damn magic, and something I’m amazed by to this day.
Don't worry about it, some people are just dead set in their system warz mindset even after all these years. Or just like spewing hot takes all over the place cos hey, look at me, I matter! dark10x spends all that time and effort making this in depth video and taking the time to talk about and explain some of the creative and hard work a handful of developers had to do at the time and it's all waved away as a shitty result, lol. As if the other versions are so beautiful and high-resolution in their textures and backgrounds and overall display by today's standards (or in the case of some of the later ports the standards of their own era, as if RE2 GC looks anything close to REmake) yet it's the N64 with the slightly lowered resolution assets and whatever else that's below the "great" threshold and off the "fugly" cliff, lol. Funniest shit.

Last edited:

EctoPrime

Would of thought that the Resident Evil 2 areas that you visit in Zero deserved a mention. As a glimpse at what could of been with a Gamecube style remake.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Great video. Should have mentioned what version the crap music in the ending bit was from though, what if someone goes out to buy the game based on you bringing attention to it but has no idea that one of the PS1 versions has that little change to it, lol!
Well, that music is only from RE1 which this video isn’t really covering. I mentioned the music thing last week in the PS Classic video and wanted to sneak it in again. ;-)

Would of thought that the Resident Evil 2 areas that you visit in Zero deserved a mention. As a glimpse at what could of been with a Gamecube style remake.
Well...I wanted to do that but I’m not a huge Zero fan and have no saves handy nor the time to get there. Been quite a while since I played that one, though. I might have to give it another spin.

You’re really showing a lack of knowledge here if you can see the N64 game as an impressive achievement.

Impressive meaning that an unexpected and very very difficult to achieve result was reached.

Last edited:

Alexios

Oh right, I got confused then, I thought it was RE2 that had the crazy bad music version released... Haha, no issues then, perfect video :p

Last edited:
Nice easter eggs in this video :D You the "bad music from RE1 Dual Shock version" playing at least TWO TIMES in this video. Hehe, nice. I actually love that music.

I love these DF Retro videos. You really appreciate old games and when you talk about them your knowledge and expertise (and research) really show. I think I'm gonna replay RE2 before the remake. I bought the game on PS1 back in 1998, but now I think I'm gonna go with the Gamecube version since I own it but haven't touched it yet.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Yup, experienced that a bit with Diablo III and much worse than that with DOOM 2016 on Switch... framerate that tops (not stable) at 30 FPS and blurry visuals only to get the game running. Sure, I am impressed they got the games to run and get high quality effects for the docked mode screenshots... move to handheld mode and you lose lots of those effects and the resolution drops some more too. It is not just slightly more blurry, it is a lot more blurry for me.

Yagami_Sama

The N64 port was very impressive, and is not something we saw nowadays. By today standards the default is blame the hardware for not be powerful enough, and if the game does not fit on the cart, let's ask the consumer to download 60GB in order to play the game. Things a really out of control. Like 50gb day one patch. This kind of hard work is something I miss and for things like this, that when I dev says, that console X does not run game Y, makes me sad.

Alexios

The N64 port was very impressive, and is not something we saw nowadays. By today standards the default is blame the hardware for not be powerful enough, and if the game does not fit on the cart, let's ask the consumer to download 60GB in order to play the game. Things a really out of control. Like 50gb day one patch. This kind of hard work is something I miss and for things like this, that when I dev says, that console X does not run game Y, makes me sad.
Some devs still do that, like the Call of Duty ports on Wii (made by a handful of people yet they clearly had passion for it) and Panic Button's ports on Switch :)

Others don't exactly try to make great ports but make the whole game optimized as can be, DICE's BF games are so well done they run easily on older PC hardware and are great looking on consoles too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom