• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

valkyre

Massive improvement indeed.

Having said that I am pretty certain that the developer did not really bother hard with PS4 Pro's hardware as we have much more advanced looking games out there like Horizon for example which looks like a different gen game. (Shadow of war looks good dont misunderstand this, but I dont consider it looks something special among many crazy good looking games out there)

But then again, someone would normally counter argue this by stating that the developer didnt really bother with XBOX X either. Which is absolutely 100% true.

So what we are left with, is a proper comparison. And the difference is indeed massive. XBOX X will be the King of multiplatform games and the difference is bigger than I thought it would be. Even a meager 720p youtube video makes it clear as day... so cant imagine what will happen at 4K res lol.

big_z

all these threads are going to go to shit...

uQyNwKn.gif

le.phat

This image right here, just this shot tells it all. There is a MASSIVE difference!!! I was honestly not expecting this big of a difference. From the cape detail, to the textures all around, to the lighting, the res, it seriously looks like different console generations! Does anyone k ow how to post these side by side, since Photobucket started charging for Image codes im having a difficult time figuring out where to get coding! :(

PS4 Pro
https://flic.kr/p/Yvrivo

Xbox One X
https://flic.kr/p/ZA9ugK

Let's just say I'm glad I didn't have to wait a year and pay an extra 100 EUR for these tweaks.

KORNdoggy

$500 gets you the entire console from nothing.

which is exactly what i'd be buying. i'd be buying an entire $500 console to see better textures. that's what vanishes from my bank account when i buy it, that's what it costs and those are the visual upgrades. so is better textures worth $500 to me? the answer is no.

it doesn't help that they're using different outfits here. so i don't know if the cape textures are better or worse or just that the cape is different?

environment certainly has better textures though.

We really need a stick announcement that the 1X and PS4 Pro still use Jaguar CPUs so there's not a bunch of posts asking why there's no 60 fps every time.

When the cheaper PS4 looked better than the more expensive Xbone that was news and worthy of praise.Now here the more expensive console looks better than the cheaper console.....well thats how it should be.

PS4Pro=$400
XoneX=$500

Whether the upgrade is worth $100 is the question especially if you can only afford one current gen console and you lose those amazing Sony exclusives.

I was really, really thinking about buying a Pro in August "before" One X even went on PreOrder. I could only afford one of these systems at the moment, as i have 4 greedy entitled spoiled kids who all need there own PS4's and Switches by Dec 25th!!! Arrrrrrr(like a Pirate "Arrr"! lol) N-E-Wayz... I was especially tempted by the PS4 Pro Iced-Out white Destiny 2 Edition that was being released on Sept 6th, and at one point I was literally a button away from PrOrdering it with Best Buy... but then it hit me!

This is how i decided...

I asked myself...Will i be buying more exclusives per year, or 3rd party titles??? After 30 yrs of gaming it was obvious! I purchase way more 3rd Party titles!!! Yeeeaaaa For Me!!! :D

It was clear... PreOrder Xbox One X and wait for it! BOOM!!! lol ;)

d9b

Banned
Massive improvement indeed.

Having said that I am pretty certain that the developer did not really bother hard with PS4 Pro's hardware as we have much more advanced looking games out there like Horizon for example which looks like a different gen game.

Fair point.

c0de

which is exactly what i'd be buying. i'd be buying an entire $500 console to see better textures. that's what vanishes from my bank account when i buy it, that's what it costs and those are the visual upgrades. so is better textures worth $500 to me? the answer is no.

People bought the PS3 back then and got worse textures. Sometimes decisions are strange but still up to each own.

It could be because dynamic resolution is always switched on with the pro version, later they show the differences with and without.

Perhaps that's it yeah. Ah well, not long now and we'll find out.

If a thread about Shadow of War can already be like this, and of course we can't forget about the Tomb Raider one not so long ago, imagine the one for RDR2. Assuming Rockstar uses the extra power X offers, that is. They did for RDR and GTA V, so I don't see why not.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Hey man, I noticed something in the video and others pointed it out as well. At one point you rotate the camera on the Xbox and also on PS4. It's smooth as butter on the PS4 part and very juddery on Xbox. PS4 looks like 60fps there which we know isn't. Is this something with how the video was captured? Since I didn't hear DF mention it at all.
Actually this is an editing quirk on my my part - that shot was never meant to be indicative of performance, just image quality. XOX and PS4 Pro both run at 30fps there - no problem.

During capture, sometimes one camera rotates too fast or slow for the other to keep up, and if time is running out to get the panning motion right, I change the playback speeds on either side to keep the frame exactly in sync. It works out for most comparisons, but I agree it's a tad aggressive on this one. All that's happening is XOX's camera was moving way too fast. With speed cut to 60% or so to correct that, it created some judder.

KORNdoggy

People bought the PS3 back then and got worse textures. Sometimes decisions are strange but still up to each own.

oh, definitely, all i'm saying is $500 is a lot to spend on what amounts to a texture bump for me. if people are ok spending that more power too them. but for $500 i would honestly want to be seeing generational gap-like differences. not just the texture slider moving from high to very high, but that's just me.

c0de

oh, definitely, all i'm saying is $500 is a lot to spend on what amounts to a texture bump for me.
And again, nobody expects anybody to spend $500 for what the X has as a benefit for one game. The benefits apply to a range of games, patched and unpatched. If you break this down to better textures, so be it. But this is of course not the only reason people spend money for the X.

oh, definitely, all i'm saying is $500 is a lot to spend on what amounts to a texture bump for me. if people are ok spending that more power too them. but for $500 i would honestly want to be seeing generational gap-like differences. not just the texture slider moving from high to very high, but that's just me.

I hope you were providing all of this informative information in DF threads when the Pro was bossing it, about how its not really worth it?

Actually this is an editing quirk on my my part - that shot was never meant to be indicative of performance, just image quality. XOX and PS4 Pro both run at 30fps there - no problem.

During capture, sometimes one camera rotates too fast or slow for the other to keep up, and if time is running out to get the panning motion right, I change the playback speeds on either side to keep the frame exactly in sync. It works out for most comparisons, but I agree it's a tad aggressive on this one. All that's happening is XOX's camera was moving way too fast. With speed cut to 60% or so to correct that, it created some judder.

Thanks for telling us man, much appreciated!

goonergaz

This is how i decided...

I asked myself...Will i be buying more exclusives per year, or 3rd party titles??? After 30 yrs of gaming it was obvious! I purchase way more 3rd Party titles!!! lol

I think this is not a great way to put it, you should ask if you can live without the PS4 exclusives for the upgrades because it's not like the 3rd party games will be broken on Pro

KORNdoggy

I hope you were providing all of this informative information in DF threads when the Pro was bossing it, about how its not really worth it?

the PRO pretty much just boosts res a little, it a pretty pointless console. imo of course.

And again, nobody expects anybody to spend $500 for what the X has as a benefit for one game. The benefits apply to a range of games, patched and unpatched. If you break this down to better textures, so be it. But this is of course not the only reason people spend money for the X.

even in the instances of the x hitting native 4k i can't imagine being able to legitimately see that sort of difference between that and the pro hitting 4k cb. (although if all you have is a basic xbox i can see the appeal) and even if all games released from this point on benefited from a texture improvement, it's a lot to spend for the privilege.

if i'm spending next gen console money, i expect next gen console differences.

c0de

Exclusives? Something Xbox lacks - especially if you have a half decent PC

Hello warrior, even last gen the most successful games were multiplatform games and they usually ran worse on a console that was more expensive for a long time.

watdaeff4

Exclusives? Something Xbox lacks - especially if you have a half decent PC

I would take out the word "especially"

If you don't, it does. You personally may not like them, but it does and to say otherwise is pure fanboy hyperbolic drivel

But yes, I do agree if you are a PC gamer, than any version of the Xbox isn't necessary

MilkyJoe

If you don't, it does. You personally may not like them, but it does and to say otherwise is pure fanboy hyperbolic drivel

But yes, I do agree if you are a PC gamer, than any version of the Xbox isn't necessary

This needs to be tattooed, backwards, on so many foreheads at this site.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don't really see it.
But hey i use a gtx 1060 to drive an 3440x1440 res and all games look insane on that.

Never understood pro and x

Sold my hdr 4k telly after 3 days cause the 4k jump was rather boring imo.

I want to spend money on new hardware:(

I don't really see it.
But hey i use a gtx 1060 to drive an 3440x1440 res and all games look insane on that.

Buy an OLED 4k hdr tv.

I think this is not a great way to put it, you should ask if you can live without the PS4 exclusives for the upgrades because it's not like the 3rd party games will be broken on Pro

Maybe i should have phrased if differently?

9 out of every 10 games on my gaming headquarter shelf is a 3rd Party game.

The only games for PS4 that interest me are Spiderman, Uncharted, and GOW. I can live without these 3 for a better experience playing COD:WW2, RDR2, and RE:7 Gold. And i am only mentioning 3 games here that will give me a better gaming experience on One X.

Add the Halo's 343 are working on, Gears 4 in 4k, RedOut set at PC Ultra settings on One X (Pro couldn't do it), i don't see why anyone would ever pick a Pro over this BEAST?!!!

watdaeff4

If he has a base PS4, he still gets to play those exclusives doesn't he?

I mean, I do on my OG model, I'm assuming all do.

EDIT:
Nvm his reply suggests he just isn't interested in them.

Jumeira

Banned
I was initially going to hold off buying SoW until i get the X but thought id be in a better position to appreciate the upgrade if i play solely on S then experience the upgrade to X. Honestly cannot wait to see the change.

gamz

Maybe i should have phrased if differently?

9 out of every 10 games on my gaming headquarter shelf is a 3rd Party game.

The only games for PS4 that interest me are Spiderman, Uncharted, and GOW. I can live without these 3 for a better experience playing COD:WW2, RDR2, and RE:7 Gold. And i am only mentioning 3 games here that will give me a better gaming experience on One X.

Add the Halo's 343 are working on, Gears 4 in 4k, RedOut set at PC Ultra settings on One X (Pro couldn't do it), i don't see why i would ever pick a Pro over this BEAST?!!!

Give Gamepass, EA Access, and BC some love.

Xbox has a ridiculous amount of games.

kc44135

the PRO pretty much just boosts res a little, it a pretty pointless console. imo of course.

even in the instances of the x hitting native 4k i can't imagine being able to legitimately see that sort of difference between that and the pro hitting 4k cb. (although if all you have is a basic xbox i can see the appeal) and even if all games released from this point on benefited from a texture improvement, it's a lot to spend for the privilege.

if i'm spending next gen console money, i expect next gen console differences.

I don't really see it.

I think the point of X and PRO is to keep locked into their respective ecosystems. Some folks are naturally going to want more power/performance/visuals/4K etc. as the generation wears on and the base hardware becomes dated, and might go PC as a result. X and PRO give these folks a reason to stay within their respective ecosystems, as they can get more powerful hardware, but at the same time, keep their stack of games, their achievements/trophies, their XBL/PSN buddies, etc. That's why someone (like me) might choose PRO over X and PC, even if it's a weaker option. Same goes for X1X.

Leyasu

Banned

Of course he was. I should imagine that his future presence in de threads will be limited too.. as it's only textures, obviously nothing too see.

You can almost feel people's pain in this thread.

goonergaz

Which was my point. Any exclusives are available on PC aren't they? As such not true exclusives.

As suggested, anyone wanting PS4 exclusives can just grab the original PS4 and enjoy them.

I really wanted to XOX but personally with a half-decent PC have no reason, in fact I personally wanted XOX to be a bit of a hybrid that allowed me to play PC games on it as I would prefer the console way of playing and find steam big picture (and the PC way of gaming) a bit of a faff.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So every DF thread going forward will be a PS5 release date guessing game. Wonderful stuff.
Difference so massive that it has people clamouring for a PS5 in two years.
What have you done Phil, you’ve put so many “enthusiasts” in limbo for the next 2-3 years.

watdaeff4

Which was my point. Any exclusives are available on PC aren't they? As such not true exclusives.

As suggested, anyone wanting PS4 exclusives can just grab the original PS4 and enjoy them.

I really wanted to XOX but personally with a half-decent PC have no reason, in fact I personally wanted XOX to be a bit of a hybrid that allowed me to play PC games on it as I would prefer the console way of playing and find steam big picture (and the PC way of gaming) a bit of a faff.

They are exclusive for those of us who don't game on PC so it's still a shaky point . The whole "true exclusive "nonsense is just drivel frankly

Lol. You are forgetting about those who will keep trying to remind themselves and probably others why they don't need one since their average PCs can play all Xbox exclusives

Lol! I won't be buying one because of how they treat first party, not because of games going to PC, their line ups. That's just personal preference though. I ain't giving them £450.

For those that are getting it though, it's a cool box, the size of it especially is fucking great for what's inside.

I think it's petty mind games, the PS5 stuff, if they don't like Xbox or MS itself, just say so, at least dark10x did a while ago.

Rewatched this vid and looked at some other videos and screens of the game. Do we have any insight into why the XBO/PS4/Pro textures are so bad? Some surfaces look like a streaming issue where the proper texture didn't load but it never pops in. I get why the Xbox One X and PC can improve on the textures but it seems like the other platforms could be somewhere in between where they are now and the highest res assets.

You could just have the problem where the game has lots of unique textures in general, and a lot textures (all the orks), + all the world sim, so it fills the shared pool.

pitchfork

Really wanted to hold fire on starting this game before my 1X arrived but the wait was too much! enjoying the hell out of it on my 1S though and look forward to seeing the improvements come November : )

As desperate as I am to finally play it, I am 100% holding fire on starting AC Origins until Nov 7th though. Gonna be a painful wait with it sitting on my External HDD

c0de

They have a marketing deal with Microsoft. So it is very likely that they put a lot of effort and money into the X1X port.

Well, what does that say about all the games that Sony has a marketing deal with?!
i don't think we should go that route, seriously. It won't lead to anything but speculation.

Top Bottom