• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Star Wars Battlefront 2 Beta: PS4 Pro Graphics and Frame-Rate Test

In my opinion to call one of the available modes "4K mode" while it actually runs at max 1440p and most of the time 1296p a little bit misleading!

4K mode for consoles literally just means a mode that is for 4K screens. A single pixel rendered over 1080p = 4K mode since a 1080p can't display that image natively. The point is it an upgrade, however slight, over a 1080p presentation (of course 1080p screens are supersampled here but that basically amounts to extra AA, which is not the point of the mode label).

BigEmil

6vbSV8F_d.jpg

Nice

nOoblet16

I don't quite understand why they call it the "4K mode", when it's nowhere near 4k...

Otherwise great to hear the improvements on performance.

Because PS Pro can only output at 4K not 1440P or 1800P or whatever resolution you can think of between 1080P and 4K. Anything that's over 1080P has to be then upscaled to 4K because that's the only 1080P+ output PS Pro can do...and as such it's called 4K mode. When you don't select that mode and select 1080P instead, some games would still internally render at their 1080P+ resolution and then downsample but other games might just render at 1080P itself and provide added benefits elsewhere.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The image quality and framerate seem fine for me at 1080p on my projector, but something about the game is certainly less striking than something like Battlefield 1 or even BF2015.

Maybe taking out the fucking endless flocks of doves and give us 1800p instead?
They're using expensive pixel shader effects for lighting so it's not an either or situation. The particles are just sprites.

I'm with the looking terrible group, if I'm honest I am shocked at how awful it does look, a ton of aliasing, bad HDR, and very low res.

Urghhhh.

EVIL

ummm..what kind of SSR is this? lol

It is a screen space effect because it only came into view once the lightsabre was on screen (and the length of the reflection depended on the length of the sabre visible on screen)

Tech limitation. all games deal with it. its the downside of screen space effects. actual reflections are way to heavy for the coming 5 years

Eggbok

That tweet is great news, I spend just as much time taking screens as I do playing the game so I'm excited!

HDR implementation seems a bit broken just now as there is no way to balance brightness specifically for it.

Pro vs X will be an interesting face of.

I’ve noticed this on the X1S too. Default is way to bright with no way to reduce it. It highlights the colour banding issues in the title screen so bad.

Damn that is really bad. I hope that is fixed before release. Game is a bit hectic, so some may not notice, but in that specific spot due to the way that area is made it really stands out big time.

“Grassgate” MK2?

Yeah, have to agree, that pop-in is terrible.

JoeLT

The game looks really bad on Xbox One, like really really bad, seems PS4 and PS4 Pro stick with the same settings just higher resolution. That seems crazy to me, the amount of pop in and lower res effects is ridiculous. The first game, while it wasn’t as busy it looked way better than this. Would much rather they go after increasing the graphical settings and put less of a priority on resolution in this title. Hell gives us two modes.

GazzaGSi

I'm with the looking terrible group, if I'm honest I am shocked at how awful it does look, a ton of aliasing, bad HDR, and very low res.

Urghhhh.

I feel this same, when I first booted it up at the menu screen with the text to select the game mode and then the loadout I thought something was wrong with my TV with how much is was shimmering and the poor image quality. I deleted it not too long after and was glad the original didn't get a Pro patch if it would've end up looking like this.

Neith

Banned
Beautiful my ass. This game looks like complete shit on the Pro. Draw-in from like 5 feet out everywhere, blurry as fuck with poor details and post processing everywhere.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don’t remember it being this bad in the first game.
Pop in was pretty bad in the first game as well. Tesselation/texture detail would pop in on a regular basis. Maz’s Castle in this beta is worse than that but the rest of the game holds up better. It’s strange.

gatti-man

Come on pal, you're doing exactly what you complain about in Xbox threads. It looks great.

It looks bad on the PS4 pro compared to the pc beta. Maybe my expectations are a little high but I expected atleast similar amounts of IQ. Instead we got a bump in resolution with jaggies and pop in everywhere.

75” 4k FALD set fully calibrated it looks incredibly disappointing.

KageMaru

Finally got to try it out today. Graphically it's a mixed bag. Material shaders look nice, there are nice little details like blowing leaves and birds, but the IQ is inconsistent, foliage pop up is bad, and there are quite a few low resolution buffers. Frame rate seems pretty solid on the Pro though.

Curious to see how the final game compares. The gameplay is improved at least.

Edit:

Trying out HDR for the first time, looks much nicer with it on.

The image quality looks like complete shit on my PS4 pro.

Zero screen space reflections, ridiculous aliasing, foliage and rocks pop-up right in front of your face, flickering shadows.

All that at 1200p? Garbage upgrade.

There is SSR. It's looks to be low res though.

Meh looks ok on pro

You would think that.

ezgif.com-video-to-gi08kut.gif

This is on the PS4 pro. The pop-in is hideous.

Damn that is really bad. I hope that is fixed before release. Game is a bit hectic, so some may not notice, but in that specific spot due to the way that area is made it really stands out big time.

Scourge of the current gen gaming on consoles and all the more glorified at higher resolutions. To think devs are chasing after 4K instead of dealing with this fundamental shit that breaks immersion.
It is better on PC, but honestly, it would be nice to be able to beyond Ultra for that setting. Perhaps .ini tweaks can push it out.

PoorFocusedKodiakbear-max-14mb.gif

Webm link for the above ^^

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It is better on PC, but honestly, it would be nice to be able to beyond Ultra for that setting. Perhaps .ini tweaks can push it out.

This makes me wonder if it's just plain an old ass build. DICE usually has a lot of options for this sort of thing on PC. Plus not having any checkerboard usage on Pro despite it being used well in several Frostbite titles for the past year and being a Sony marketed game is an oddity as well. It'll be interesting to see how this one compares from beta to release.

KageMaru

That's better but still not great. I don't recall BF1 having this issue, so I wonder what happened.

This makes me wonder if it's just plain an old ass build. DICE usually has a lot of options for this sort of thing on PC. Plus not having any checkerboard usage on Pro despite it being used well in several Frostbite titles for the past year and being a Sony marketed game is an oddity as well. It'll be interesting to see how this one compares from beta to release.

The fact that they confirmed changed for the final game makes me hope it's an old build as well.

CBR isn't free, so maybe they opted not to use it for performance reasons? I also don't think marketing deals influence development much at all.

The final version of SWBF1 had some nice performance improvements over the beta, so hopefully we'll see some improvements here as well.

Tried the beta last night and it looked really bad, and I played the last game on PS4 as well. Too much film grain and chromatic aberration. I played on pc as well and that version has the same issues for me with less aliasing. Turning down post processing helps with the pc version

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's better but still not great. I don't recall BF1 having this issue, so I wonder what happened.

The fact that they confirmed changed for the final game makes me hope it's an old build as well.

CBR isn't free, so maybe they opted not to use it for performance reasons? I also don't think marketing deals influence development much at all.

The final version of SWBF1 had some nice performance improvements over the beta, so hopefully we'll see some improvements here as well.

I meant more that it may not have been in the beta due to wanting a stable performing preview build. Should have been more clear.

There are a couple of other things in the game which make me wonder how actually close to release-ready this build is...

I do hope (and imagine that it will, otherwise huh?) that it does get checkerboarding again for final release, as such an undersampled 4K upscale is not exactly desirable at all.
One thing to note about the grass there in the image is that it is rendered differently than say the the geometric plants and whatnot you see in the forest of Endor from Battlefront 1 or in the forest of that very map. It is your 'older' and more typical way of doing vegetation with alpha transparency. So I imagine its LOD and render distance are different than the other types of vegetation. Do we have examples of alpha transparency foliage from Battlefront 1? I do not own the game to see how it fairs in comparison to this game.

Are the people who say the game looks dreadful competing for some kind of pinocchio prize?

If you could turn off the chromatic aberration and the obnoxious blurring around the edge of the screen it would probably look pretty good. As-is I find it pretty hard to look at.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If you could turn off the chromatic aberration and the obnoxious blurring around the edge of the screen it would probably look pretty good. As-is I find it pretty hard to look at.

This is the first game where I've had such an issue with chromatic aberration. It really does not work well with how I picture Star Wars.

There are a couple of other things in the game which make me wonder how actually close to release-ready this build is...

I do hope (and imagine that it will, otherwise huh?) that it does get checkerboarding again for final release, as such an undersampled 4K upscale is not exactly desirable at all.

It would be really odd if it doesn't since BF1 used it in conjunction with dynamic res a year ago, just after the launch of the console, and that was also made by the same DICE studio.

This is the first game where I've had such an issue with chromatic aberration. It really does not work well with how I picture Star Wars.
The one place I ever really remember chromatic abberation in Star Wars as part of its core aesthetic is in the one place games never really get right, as a part of some lens flares. Lens flares on C3PO prisma.
ANH-Ben-Mos-Eisley-spaceport-scum-villainy.jpg

It would be really odd if it doesn't since BF1 used it in conjunction with dynamic res a year ago, just after the launch of the console, and that was also made by the same DICE studio.
Yeah, I would be surprised if it did not. Perhaps they are still tweaking some base rendering things in the game, so having CB integrated right now without having everything final, does not make sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The one place I ever really remember chromatic abberation in Star Wars as part of its core aesthetic is in the one place games never really get right, as a part of some lens flares. Lens flares on C3PO prisma.
http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/05/ANH-Ben-Mos-Eisley-spaceport-scum-villainy.jpg[IMG]

Yeah, I would be surprised if it did not. Perhaps they are still tweaking some base rendering things in the game, so having CB integrated right now without having everything final, does not make sense.[/QUOTE]

Tweaking the CA, the vignetting, and increasing the resolution on the Pro (and Xbox One X) while maintaining this performance would make for a pretty huge improvement before the final.

This also has the typical DICE chunky motion blur that was in the beta for the first Battlefront and BF1 and both had that improved before launch.

It looks bad on the PS4 pro compared to the pc beta. Maybe my expectations are a little high but I expected atleast similar amounts of IQ. Instead we got a bump in resolution with jaggies and pop in everywhere.

75” 4k FALD set fully calibrated it looks incredibly disappointing.

You only need to look at the first Battlefront on PC at 4K, to realise just how bad this is on the Pro, it looks like a huge downgrade, even with HDR.

You only need to look at the first Battlefront on PC at 4K, to realise just how bad this is on the Pro, it looks like a huge downgrade, even with HDR.

Agreed. How is it worse than BF 2015? What is going on here exactly that makes it so much worse looking beyond the chromatic aberration, blur and vignette? Genuinely curious.

Agreed. How is it worse than BF 2015? What is going on here exactly that makes it so much worse looking beyond the chromatic aberration, blur and vignette? Genuinely curious.

I guess it doesn't help that it's being scaled from 1296p, which is a massive step down in resolution from full 4K, and probably exacerbated by the high contrast edges on the Pro beta, coupled with crap HDR, equals one of the poorest images I've yet seen on the Pro, so disappointing.

Something must be wrong though, as the intro logo screens suffer from what looks like macroblocking and smear trails on the menu screens, also grey looking blown out blacks.

Either way it's a terrible way to demo a big title like this, and there is no way in hell I'm preordering it, I'd rather go PC and get my arse owned against keyboard/mouse players.

kc44135

People are calling this a "garbage upgrade", "worst looking game on PRO", etc., but how does the game fare on a base PS4? I remember the original game ran at like 900p, and if that's the case with the sequel, I'd have to imagine this is still a pretty significant step up from that, no?

pottuvoi

Banned
ummm..what kind of SSR is this? lol

It is a screen space effect because it only came into view once the lightsabre was on screen (and the length of the reflection depended on the length of the sabre visible on screen)
Sword is most likely transparent and thus doesn't write into a z-buffer.
Reflection uses color data in which the sword is drawn, so for it the sword in reflection looks like image which is projected to the wall. (Next opaque object in swords location.)

Top Bottom