• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Zelda Breath of the Wild "Wii U" Vs. "Switch"

Ok, I'm gonna get a ton of shit for this but, I think this game looks bad. Like everything looks really low texture ( especially trees) and super bright with bland colors. Also blurry at times. Honestly this kinda looks like a Wii game. I just beat Twilight princess HD and that looked way sharper and clear. The bad frame rate is definitely not helping. I'm playing the Wii U version BTW. I like the game, I'm just getting turned off by the graphics. I'm still in the great plateau area, so I'm hoping it's just the grassy area that looks like this.

I don't have it yet, 24 more hours until I have the money for it otherwise I'd be stuck in myself, but I've noticed this on footage for both the Switch and Wii U versions and I think it's a result of artistic direction, but I do think the colours often merge together all too well.

Paragon

Any chance you could record some loading times in the beginning? Entering and exiting the first shrine for example. Would be nice to see SSD loading times
I don't have a video for you, but I tested several times and it's 7 seconds loading in/out of the Oman Au Shrine. (I think that was the first one?)

This would be over USB 2 on the Wii U, which would limit the SSD to ~57MB/s, realistically in the high 40s in my experience.
SSDs are much better at seek times, but, with that severe a bandwidth limit were a lot of people using SSDs with Wii Us?
Unless they meant SD card, which does not an SSD make
It's a 120GB SSD. The only reason I'm using it is because it's the only drive I had sitting around that I could get working with the Wii U.
They either wouldn't work at all; not detected, couldn't format (just spinning), or they would format but then disconnect halfway through the download.
Not advocating that anyone goes out and buys an SSD for the system. Even if it ends up a little better, it certainly doesn't fix the performance issues, I can tell you that.

I don't have a video for you, but I tested several times and it's 7 seconds loading in/out of the Oman Au Shrine. (I think that was the first one?)

It's a 120GB SSD. The only reason I'm using it is because it's the only drive I had sitting around that I could get working with the Wii U.
They either wouldn't work at all; not detected, couldn't format (just spinning), or they would format but then disconnect halfway through the download.
Not advocating that anyone goes out and buys an SSD for the system. Even if it ends up a little better, it certainly doesn't fix the performance issues, I can tell you that.
Well damn, so I guess a good HDD/SSD shaves another 2 seconds of then increasing the lead to the Switch to around ~4-7 seconds per loading zone.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
yes, because, even though the docked switch is a lot stronger than wiiu, games are made with the undocked mode as a base, and that one is a very small jump over wiiu (very small compared to what you would expect from a "generational" jump). The big difference between wiiu and the switch (when docked) is going to be used to up the resolution of the undocked mode (which is a lot closer to wiiu).

Anyway, there's an obvious difference between wiiu and the undocked switch, as zelda runs a lot smoother on the undocked switch (at 720p) compared to wiiu (also at 720p).

It's still to early in switch's lifecycle to know the true difference. It will take some time until we see games made from the ground up for switch, unlike zelda which was made for wiiu and then ported to switch.

This is nonsense. The Switch even undocked is 2x Wii U. You're comparing a CPU architecture from 1999 and a GPU from 2008 and 1GB of RAM (12gb/s) in Wii U vs a CPU/GPU from 2015 with 3.2GB of RAM (25gb/s) in Switch.

This is a rushed for launch port of a game designed around Wii U's exotic architecture. The fact Zelda runs infinitely better on Switch in handheld mode vs Wii U says it all.

The docked mode is pretty bad in the first area but definitely improves in the other less foliage heavy areas. Hopefully it's patched to offer 720p in docked mode or further optimised.

I just ordered the Wii U version based on this video

I hope I've not made a huge mistake

I mean, I've played games with dodgy framerates before, this should be fine

Same. I bought the Wii U version a few hours ago due to this video. I thought the Switch version was going to offer a lot more graphically.

T-0800

Bought the Wii U version today and I'm happy with what I've seen so far. Coming from Horizon on Pro it was always going to be a step down visually but it saved me from buying a Switch.

Kurt

I am so happy that i bought it for the switch. Going feom sleep mode again to the game is like 2 sec. Also fast load times. Playing it with the pro controller, so far the best one i've hold. Much better than the wii u pro controller imo.

I'm playing the Wii u version and I noticed a lot of slow down during the beginning and most of my time playing the game but honestly I'm just having a blast playing this game and maybe it's because I haven't played a Zelda game since the 64 game but the slow down ain't no thing to me.

I also stopped playing horizon for this which is a shame since I stopped playing Nioh for horizon. I really need to stop spending money on games I don't complete.

AzaK

It's nice that there don't appear to be significant asset downgrades in the Wii U version -- that means that at some point in the future (whether that's weeks, months or years) it should be possible to play the game with great IQ and performance in CEMU.

Having just discovered Cemu the other day, and playing Xenoblade Chronicles X on it, I can't wait to see BotW running on it. Until then, my Wii U version should arrive any day now and I'll enjoy that.

Top Bottom