• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DHS secretary: Laptop/tablet ban may be expanded to flights departing US

Oppo

some folks literally cannot check their laptops because of company secrets. what a mess.

i bet if this goes forward, the airlines/TSA use it to push Nexus pass or similar as "laptop blessed".

Dyle

Wouldn't a 3DS or Vita be affected by this?

Vita probably not because it's hardly larger than most phablets. 3DS could be banned more due to its thickness than footprint. It really depends on what kind of cell phone they mean when they say "anything larger than a cell phone"

Just another fucking useless security mechanism. All they are doing is moving the threat of a laptop bomb from the Passenger compartment where you can do something about it to the cargo hold where you can't. Stupid.

Soon airplane fights will strap you into your seat and give you sleeping gas and you'll be woken when you land.

If it was perfectly safe and healthy I would be all over this shit. The closest you can get to teleportation

Vita probably not because it's hardly larger than most phablets. 3DS could be banned more due to its thickness than footprint. It really depends on what kind of cell phone they mean when they say "anything larger than a cell phone"
Hopefully this is their reference
6261e71fb9f7b4c534c63b4578732a8e.jpg

And this does nothing to stop that

Of course, which is why this whole thing is silly.

I guess the idea of the exploding plane would be to blow it up while it's over a city to have burning planes crash randomly in the middle of a city. Wouldn't have the death toll of something like 9/11 but it would have a pretty nasty impact on civilian emotions.

KingV

The head of Homeland Security just said the other day people wouldn't want to leave their houses if we knew how ubiquitous the terror threat is. I don't think he is a trustworthy judge of this stuff.

It's amazing how quickly that orange shit stain has ruined every ounce of government credibility.

iammeiam

If we reach a point that they're banned from international flights originating in the US, bans on domestic flights can't be that far off since they'd be just as much at risk.

Opto

Banned
By 2022, everyone must arrive at the airport with no carry-ons, and completely transparaent clothing, including underwear. Then you must take a laxative before going through security, where they will still scan you.

GatorBait

Seems like a good way to tank the U.S.-to-international airline industry after business travelers begin to realize that most of their international meetings/trips can be done just as easily via video conferencing.

"Not getting work done" or "being bored on the flight" is a mere annoyance, the real issue with this is it makes it almost impossible to travel with laptops to third world countries/those with "lax" security for baggage handlers. I've had things stolen from checked baggage multiple times flying internationally, I usually take anything of value on carryon because of this. No way would I trust my laptop in checked baggage.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So this is practically US admitting that all the security checks in their airports are fucking useless, right?

The ban for incoming flights from several countries could have somewhat argued against the security checks there not being fully trusted, but now this can't be argued anymore.

Laptop batteries were a long time coming, it was only a matter of time before they tried making bombs with the batteries.

I really doubt a tablet battery could cause airplane wrecking damage though.

reckless

So this is practically US admitting that all the security checks in their airports are fucking useless, right?

The ban for incoming flights from several countries could have somewhat argued against the security checks there not being fully trusted, but now this can't be argued anymore.

Well I mean we all knew that already.
According to a report based on an internal investigation, "red teams" with the Department of Homeland Security's Office of the Inspector General were able to get banned items through the screening process in 67 out of 70 tests it conducted across the nation.

Seems like more security theater, that will annoy everyone.

So those of us with global entry pass background checks are also screwed here? Hmmm

Global Entry just expedites US re-entry. Don't think it would have any affect on screening at the gate. If a laptop/tablet is banned outright, it would even get flagged at TSA Precheck leaving the country and at the foreign airport trying to return.

Unless they exempt Nexus/Global Entry participants from this.

just thought of how this is bad for people like me who travel lightly. I like to take week long trips abroad and don't check bags to save money. Now I'll have to leave my laptop and tablet at home if I don't want to fork out 50 bucks to check a bag

linkboy

Jesus Christ superstar, our government is scared. Terrorists won.

They've been winning since 9/11. The primary goal with 9/11 wasn't to kill people, it was to change our way of life, and to have us be scared of the unknown.

We took that bait, hook, line and sinker, and continue to bite down on it over and over again.

M3d10n

This ban in going to make international travel a fucking pain in the ass.

No work getting done, no way to entertain yourself... And all those airlines that didn't upgrade their in flight entertainment are fucked.

Not to mention the tons of damaged, misplaced and "vanished" laptops and tablets from checked-in luggage.

-MB-

I wouldn't be surprised if airlines are promoting this change. No laptop or tablet? Please enjoy our overpriced movies and Tetris knock offs for an unbeatable overpriced price!

And for your bonus, all yoru communications and activity get stored and sent to the nsa! :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I bet a lot of airlines are pissed that they started transitioning to Bring Your Own Device in-flight entertainment.

If the terrorists have truly found a way to hide bombs in laptops, isn't putting them with the luggage not going to make a difference if they were set on a timer? The whole plane will go down anyway. Is there no way to scan for the chemicals that might be used at airport security? I know that the TSA instructed me to separate the laptop from my backpack when I traveled last time on a plane. I think that would be much more practical than an outright ban. Some people need their laptops to be able to do work when they travel abroad. It's not something they can just remove from a plane.

If the terrorists have truly found a way to hide bombs in laptops, isn't putting them with the luggage not going to make a difference if they were set on a timer? The whole plane will go down anyway. Is there no way to scan for the chemicals that might be used at airport security? I know that the TSA instructed me to separate the laptop from my backpack when I traveled last time on a plane. I think that would be much more practical than an outright ban. Some people need their laptops to be able to do work when they travel abroad. It's not something they can just remove from a plane.

Your first mistake was to try to apply logic to TSA regulations...

Ogodei

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-airlines-electronics-idUSKBN18O0KL

Basically a ban on laptops from all foreign flights, inbound or outbound, is just a matter of when.

And they're talking about changing policies at airports to make people take apart their carry-on luggage to make it easier to scan (because people have been stuffing them full... to avoid check luggage fees and having their stuff destroyed, confiscated, or otherwise stolen).

Interested to see the backlash when this happens. Business class is likely to turn terrorist themselves over rules like this, especially because you know it's then only a matter of time before it becomes all flights everywhere.

linkboy

When you apply logic to anything the Totally Stupid Agency does, it totally falls apart.

Future

Basically a ban on laptops from all foreign flights, inbound or outbound, is just a matter of when.

And they're talking about changing policies at airports to make people take apart their carry-on luggage to make it easier to scan (because people have been stuffing them full... to avoid check luggage fees and having their stuff destroyed, confiscated, or otherwise stolen).

Interested to see the backlash when this happens. Business class is likely to turn terrorist themselves over rules like this, especially because you know it's then only a matter of time before it becomes all flights everywhere.

Jokes aside, this is pretty fucked up for people that travel on business that are forced to bring these types of devices. From another random article

The laptop ban would most affect those who are the most lucrative market for the airlines flying the Atlantic, business and first class passengers. These are often professionals like corporate managers, lawyers, accountants, scientists, and media producers whose laptops contain proprietary or confidential information that their companies will not allow to go into checked baggage for fear of being lost, damaged, or stolen.

We know that security will not also be bumped up to protect belongings cuz that will cost money. So what are they supposed to do? Corporate jets?

airlines are gonna love forcing people to pay for checked luggage

Shoeless

The airline industry is one of the few businesses where things seem to get worse and more inconvenient for customers as time passes.

That's a piano bar, for a lounge, for ECONOMY CLASS in the 1970s. It's crazy how much worse air travel has gotten over the decades.

Ogodei

Jokes aside, this is pretty fucked up for people that travel on business that are forced to bring these types of devices. From another random article

We know that security will not also be bumped up to protect belongings cuz that will cost money. So what are they supposed to do? Corporate jets?

I guess you have it shipped ahead of you if you know the device can be securely received (e.g. that there's always somebody at the other office who can take your laptop).

Either that or demand better practices with regards to checked luggage, like the airlines becoming bonded and indemnified with no damage limit for anything that gets lost or stolen (so if a laptop with assets from the next Pixar movie gets stolen, then the airline is out millions).

This ban in going to make international travel a fucking pain in the ass.

No work getting done, no way to entertain yourself... And all those airlines that didn't upgrade their in flight entertainment are fucked.

Not to mention all the risk of theft and damage to laptops in checked baggage.

If this expands too far it'll keep tourism down too, as a Canadian I sure as fuck won't be flying to the US knowing I have to risk my laptop in checked baggage... shit I usually pack well enough that I don't check any baggage.

Top Bottom