• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DHS secretary: Laptop/tablet ban may be expanded to flights departing US

So someone could hide a bomb in a tablet but not in a smartphone? Not buying their reasoning.

Too troublesome. Terrorists will shift over to curbside carbombs. Then the DHS will ban cars within 1 mile of an airport. Then terrorists will suicide vest at the shuttle lines by the new airport pickup/dropoff zone. Then air travel will be banned. And everyone will feel so much safer.

KillLaCam

Banned
That would be extremely annoying. I always have my laptop when I travel.

Just keep giving me reasons not to come back to the US

Nista

They better exempt nexus/global entry people from this, otherwise what's the point of getting the background check and interview?

This is a severe nuisance since there's no way airlines are going to keep laptops and tablets safe in checked luggage. Maybe they could gatecheck them all like strollers into some sort of secure anti-bomb box, so business people could get stuff back as they deplane.

I don't want to ship my laptop and ipad every time we go visit family in Germany or go on a vacation somewhere.

Soon airplane fights will strap you into your seat and give you sleeping gas and you'll be woken when you land.

“Longer than you think, Dad!” it cackled. “Longer than you think! Held my breath when they gave me the gas! Wanted to see! I saw! I saw! Longer than you think!"

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I just won't travel if this goes into effect. They can send someone else from my team. Stuck on a plane for hours on end without my laptop sounds miserable.

Soon airplane fights will strap you into your seat and give you sleeping gas and you'll be woken when you land.

I'd prefer this in all honesty.

How long until they do this in domestic flights too?

A month?

Too troublesome. Terrorists will shift over to curbside carbombs. Then the DHS will ban cars within 1 mile of an airport. Then terrorists will suicide vest at the shuttle lines by the new airport pickup/dropoff zone. Then air travel will be banned. And everyone will feel so much safer.

Might as well ban air travel if they prevent me from bringing my devices.

Electronic devices banned from air travel in 2017 is among the most ass-backwards, completely idiotic counter-terrorism ideas I've ever read. It not only completely misreads the landscape of terrorism, it also results in countless upon countless hours of productivity to businesses. There's few places in the developed world where people are expected to abandon their personal electronic devices for any considerable period of time.

It's only fitting that this heaping pig carcass fire of an administration would conceive of such a mind-crushingly stupid idea. The business class WILL revolt, you simply cannot tell people that they cannot have their laptops and iPads on board. It simply isn't done. Especially not when there's no major terrorist attack that would even warrant such a thing.

When you travel to Mexico the general rule of thumb is, don't put anything into your checked bag that you would mind if it got stolen, because it WILL get stolen. No fucking way am I checking in my laptop/tablets in, meaning I'd have to travel without them. There's countless countries where customs just flat out steals your shit too, what the fuck does this asshole expect people to do?

EDIT: They have literally no solution for the people traveling with company-issues laptops that aren't allowed to be checked in because they contain company secret. What about then, you fucking dumbass Kelly?

Fewr

"Not getting work done" or "being bored on the flight" is a mere annoyance, the real issue with this is it makes it almost impossible to travel with laptops to third world countries/those with "lax" security for baggage handlers. I've had things stolen from checked baggage multiple times flying internationally, I usually take anything of value on carryon because of this. No way would I trust my laptop in checked baggage.
Yes, exactly. So now I can't bring my work laptop to get some work done if I take a few days off and fly to the US. Ugh..

Wonder why the airline industry is failing these days... Let's face it, terrorist won their objective long ago.

Yes I'm mad because I just got my half used 200ml sunscreen lotion tossed because the limit is 100ml to board a flight :v

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At this point when we fly to Germany for work next fall we are just going to buy burner phones and find somewhere to rent a couple of laptops.

Fuck this shit.

Congratulations terror groups, you've been winning for 16 years.

Yep. I agree with this. Folks that keep repeating the mantra 'Don't let the terrorist win' must be sleeping under a rock. They are winning. They are materially affected almost every aspect of our lives. Fuck them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It'll feel like living in the 80s. Time to go back to reading magazines and bringing a book.

Airplane travelling was a lot easier in the 80's. None of this mental security searches. On domestic flights you turned up 30 mins before the plane took off and just boarded.

Bluth54

So someone could hide a bomb in a tablet but not in a smartphone? Not buying their reasoning.

I'm sure you could hide a bomb in a smartphone but the bomb would probably be pretty small and lack the destructive power of a bomb in a tablet or laptop.

I haven't read a whole lot into this but I assume terrorists are putting in a small system on a chip and battery so the device works while putting in fake components that really contain bombs so you would probably want a larger device for that.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Next thing IS leaks plans to turn plane toilets into bombs and everybody has to hold it going forward. I always thought they scan your equipment so you can't bring bombs on board. So this is probably not a bomb but instead they want to overheat the battery and create fires?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't understand why anyone would think this is a good idea.

Oh, you want to conceal a bomb as a laptop do you? Guess where it would do a fuck-ton more damage? The cargo hold.

And how about those Li-on batteries? A fire breaks out in the cabin? Easier to take care of because it's actually noticed. In the cargo hold? A potentially deadly situation.

It just doesn't make sense.

Oh, you want to conceal a bomb as a laptop do you? Guess where it would do a fuck-ton more damage? The cargo hold.

And how about those Li-on batteries? A fire breaks out in the cabin? Easier to take care of because it's actually noticed. In the cargo hold? A potentially deadly situation.

Shhh. Logic doesn't come into things when it's all bout dat fear. This is (not) for your safety.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Pretty much. Fill up the cargo with laptops and tablets and you have a ton more potential dangers in every flight having all those batteries in there rather than in the cabin where people keep them under surveillance. Who even needs bombs when any of those devices could cause more havoc through propagated fire.

Plus, even if it can be justified somehow for laptops, if bombs built at the size of a tablet battery would have been in any way effective and can pass the security checks I see a much bigger problem here.

Next thing IS leaks plans to turn plane toilets into bombs and everybody has to hold it going forward. I always thought they scan your equipment so you can't bring bombs on board. So this is probably not a bomb but instead they want to overheat the battery and create fires?

It is a bomb, but a weak bomb. They need an external source to be set off for better effect. And they would have maximum impact on planes near the wings.

That is as per some experts that analyzed that recent plane that had a hole blown open but it did land successfully with only the bomber dying.

This is also the intelligence coming straight from Missed and they are damn good at this thing.

gcubed

It is a bomb, but a weak bomb. They need an external source to be set off for better effect. And they would have maximum impact on planes near the wings.

That is as per some experts that analyzed that recent plane that had a hole blown open but it did land successfully with only the bomber dying.

This is also the intelligence coming straight from Missed and they are damn good at this thing.

Yes but this isn't a bomb in a laptop, this is making the battery explode because you can put a bomb in the cargo area just as easily.

The DHS secretary is just a scared little shit sucking his thumb in the corner of the room

KeRaSh

I'm really hoping this does not take effect since I'll be flying to the US on June 12th and return to Germany on June 29th.
My friend and I intentionally bought Snipperclip for this flight.

Top Bottom