• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is a clinical dietitian and works with diabetes patients daily. If there are any very technical questions here that you'd like me to ask her, please pass them along to me as a post here or via PM. I'll see if she can answer them.

jb1234

well I was just called by the doctor. I apparently have Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults not type 2. My body is attacking my pancreas causing it to shut down, its currently making some insulin but eventually it will become type 1 and I will be insulin dependent.

kind of shocking.

Sorry, dude. :(

AlexBasch

All my uncle's on my mother side died because of it, none of then got past 60 years old, and had awful deaths even though they managed with it. Blindness, losing their legs and whatnot.
It's always in the back of my head, since it would pretty much be a death sentence.

All my uncle's on my mother side died because of it, none of then got past 60 years old, and had awful deaths even though they managed with it. Blindness, losing their legs and whatnot.
It's always in the back of my head, since it would pretty much be a death sentence.

We're they super on top of it? That's not the prognosis for most people if they take things seriously.

Symphonia

Banned
We're they super on top of it? That's not the prognosis for most people if they take things seriously.
Which is why I need to get on top of mine. My doctors said if I don't, I could lose a leg by 30 and be blind by 35. I'm 26 now. I don't want that shit happening to me.

Not really sure what to say. I saw the doctor yesterday and he was really impressed with the improvements in my blood sugar already. its been 5 days. All of my organs are functioning great and my C-Peptid level is normal. However the GAD anti-bodies are high and therefore eventually It will destroy my inslet cells and I will become Type 1.

The doctor pretty much said its up to you, take insulin now and get it over with or keep up the diet and try and keep it under control as long as possible.

Wanted to post again, its been two weeks since my diagnosis. My Blood levels have come down a ton and I sit around 160-180 most days now. Small victory for me.

its frightening knowing that I'm just working on "honeymoon" time and soon I will be full T1 and be insulin dependent.

Kimosabae

Banned
Was Type 2 back 2004. Lost 100+ lbs in 2007-8 and reversed it. Got a new lease on life. Feels great.

Keep your head up, peeps. Changing your eating habits and gaining lean muscle works wonders for your health.

My 8 year-old cat was just diagnosed with diabetes. We had noticed some weight loss and that he had been drinking a ton and as a result, peeing a ton. The litter box was basically just mud. It sucked cleaning up.

Now he's doing great. I have to give him an insulin shot twice a day and he's on a special dietetic management wet food. He gained most of his weight back, too.

BearPawB

Banned
I am always (irrationally?) concerned i have undiagnosed type 2 diabetes.
But i think it is one of those things, you look up on webmd and go "oh shit, i have been urinating a lot recently.... and i am always hungry and thirsty" and then boom diabetes.

But I never really know if i am being irrational.

I certainly have not had weight loss, so there is that

I am always (irrationally?) concerned i have undiagnosed type 2 diabetes.
But i think it is one of those things, you look up on webmd and go "oh shit, i have been urinating a lot recently.... and i am always hungry and thirsty" and then boom diabetes.

But I never really know if i am being irrational.

I certainly have not had weight loss, so there is that

this was me and Boom I have diabetes.

get it checked if you are worried about it.

Mosse

Neo Member
I felt like shit last year and lost a ton of weight. So I went to check it up when I got home to my parents for christmas and it turned out I had type-1 diabetes. Spending christmas at a hospital sucked but I feel a lot better now when I take insulin, also got my weight back :)

thought I would check in again.

Its been almost a month since I found out I had type 1 EDIT: I am 1.5 age 32.

my diet is no/low carb and my blood sugar has been awesome for two weeks. 90-110 and never going over 120. I am currently not taking any insulin.

the biggest problem now is struggling with depression from my disease. It dominates my thoughts sometimes.

frustrating.

I have a doctors appt today so that should be fun.

Wag

I was diagnosed with Type 2 last year, lost 80lbs and now it's in remission. I'm no longer on any medication, my blood sugar levels are normal.

roxyd43

Neo Member
Have had T1D since I was four. I think it was more scary for my parents than it was for me at the time. I just remember being so thirsty, and even though I had been potty trained for quite a while, I'd wake up every night in a puddle of urine because my sugars were so high.

It's been a roller coaster journey with diabetes. The worst was through college and the first few years out of college. I learned to manipulate my diabetes in order to lose weight. I think at my worst, I was 110 pounds with an A1C of 25. I remember my friend telling me I was killing myself, but I remember thinking, "At least I'll be skinny when I die." It was such a vicious cycle, but I've finally kicked that bad habit.

Now, I'm getting things in order, still need to improve my A1C a little, but things are much better. Best of luck to all those with the beeetus!

Yeah Type 2 can easily be controlled and reversed for most people with a low carb/ketogenic diet. Obviously Type 1 can't be reversed, but some have success lowering their insulin requirements and more stable BG levels on a low carb diet, but it can be tricky. Both my brother and dad are Type 1. I've always been scared of getting late onset Type 1 diabetes but I stick to a very low carb diet and I'm 31 years old now so I'm not overly concerned.

My brother was diagnosed with LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults, sometimes called type 1.5) at around 40 years when his eyes suddenly started having symptoms.

I don't really have anything to contribute other than I never knew that existed.

I got the same at around 32. I noticed because I started having extreme thirst and was drinking like 4-5 lts a day for a week (and having to get up to pee in the middle of the night) when I decided to google.

Now, 2 years later, it's pretty much under control. I pretty much don't drink anymore and eat no sugar whatsoever, but don't control my carb intake all that much other than that.

Last time I had my glycated hemoglobin it was at 5.9 which is almost normal people range, when I was diagnosed it was at 9.8. I only have to inject basal insulin once a day and take metformin pills as well.

All in all it's not so bad.

thought I would check in again.

Its been almost a month since I found out I had type 1, age 32.

my diet is no/low carb and my blood sugar has been awesome for two weeks. 90-110 and never going over 120. I am currently not taking any insulin.

the biggest problem now is struggling with depression from my disease. It dominates my thoughts sometimes.

frustrating.

I have a doctors appt today so that should be fun.

Type 1 with no insulin and such good levels sounds strange. The whole point of type 1 is that it's autoimmune so your body is attacking the cells that produce insulin on your pancreas. It would be pretty much impossible to keep your glucose in check just with diet. Are you sure you're not type 2?

Arment

I have 'adult onset diabetes' which I assume is type 2 and am recently diagnosed. I'm on metformin. Doctor told me mine isn't too bad and could go away.

Honestly I still eat like crap and miss doses all the time. I know I should get serious. My doctor didn't really explain much though.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
My dad has type 2 and he's on the DASH diet. So far so good, but it sucks that he didn't start taking care of himself sooner.

I got the same at around 32. I noticed because I started having extreme thirst and was drinking like 4-5 lts a day for a week (and having to get up to pee in the middle of the night) when I decided to google.

Now, 2 years later, it's pretty much under control. I pretty much don't drink anymore and eat no sugar whatsoever, but don't control my carb intake all that much other than that.

Last time I had my glycated hemoglobin it was at 5.9 which is almost normal people range, when I was diagnosed it was at 9.8. I only have to inject basal insulin once a day and take metformin pills as well.

All in all it's not so bad.

Type 1 with no insulin and such good levels sounds strange. The whole point of type 1 is that it's autoimmune so your body is attacking the cells that produce insulin on your pancreas. It would be pretty much impossible to keep your glucose in check just with diet. Are you sure you're not type 2?

Sorry I am technically LADA 1.5 I messed up my post. From what I can tell I am in my honeymoon phase? I am taking metformin so its not no meds at all. The attack had to have barely started so my pancreas is still making insulin, my peptid levels show normal atm.

however my GAD test shows 100.

Saw the doctor yesterday for my first real Diabetes checkup after being diagnosed LADA 1.5.

its been about a month and when I first went in my blood sugar was 380. I am now down to 90-110 consistent (fasting and after meals) by taking metformin and eating low carb. The doctor did not believe my sugar numbers until I showed him my meter that saves the last 300 tests.

He was extremely happy with my progress and marked me as diabetes controlled. I am extremely happy about this and its been a tough change in my life. He was baffled why my numbers were so good after only about 3 weeks.

anyways its nice to have some good news.

He did say I should start trying more carbs to see what happens since nobody can be low carb forever. uhhh miracle patient remember? I am going to keep it up until my blood sugar starts to creep up.

ChrisD

Call it selfish, but I'd like to ask some questions to hopefully put my mind at ease. Or at least I hope that's the result.

I've lost a lot of weight in the past year. Something like 35 pounds in eight months. But I've also been a lot more active in that time. Before I was sitting around, no exaggeration, all day long. I still sit more than I should, and the weight is slowly going up accordingly, but I do mean slowly.

I drink a ton. I've drank a ton for seven years now. An average day's water intake is something around twenty glasses or more. As such, I do have to use the restroom on pretty much a thirty minute basis.

But I never put thought into things until yesterday. The weather here was cold and rainy over the weekend, and I was working in it. Stuffy nose, coughing all day, and the exhaustion. I felt like I was half-asleep all day. But it's all things I consider normal for a Cold/Allergies. All of it except for when I went to bed. I woke up a mere two hours into lying down covered in sweat.

So I've looked into what could be the cause:

-I'm sick. That happens. Duh.
-My bed sheets have been changed. Maybe the new blanket is just retaining more heat?
-And finally, jumping straight from bed sheets to Diabetes.

I feel like I should get it checked out, but it feels like I'm just jumping the gun considering, again, that I'm sick right now.

Maybe in two weeks if it's still happening I schedule for a check? =/

ChrisD some of that sounds exactly like my symptoms before my diagnosis.

You should buy a cheap tester and check your blood sugar. Fasting and two hours after a meal.

If it's high.. Go see a doctor.

Althane

ChrisD some of that sounds exactly like my symptoms before my diagnosis.

You should buy a cheap tester and check your blood sugar. Fasting and two hours after a meal.

If it's high.. Go see a doctor.

For the record, "High" in this instance would be for >150 mg/dL, two hours after a meal.

Fasting blood sugar should be around 100 mg/dL.

If you're only a little above it, I wouldn't worry. If you're somewhat above it, you might be prediabetic. If you're way above it... you should probably go see a doctor ASAP.

(I was >500 when I was tested prior to treatment)

Grym

T1 here since 1996.

The tech advancements for management in the past 20 years really are mind-boggling to me looking back. From carrying around multiple vials of insulin and syringes and analyzing food via diabetic exchanges...to true carb counting...to mixed insulins....to pen needles and insulin pen cartridges...to insulin pumps...to continuous glucose monitors...to trials of artificial pancreas systems. It will be amazing to see what the next decade brings.

actually, I'll be pleased when the FDA gets around to approving something like the Freestyle Libre in the US so I don't have to poke my fingers anymore

vikki

Anyone take Metformin? Gonna sound crazy but I notice crazy muscle fullness if I take it before working out. It decreases blood sugar via sensitizing insulin receptors, creating more glycogen storage in muscle. Pretty good stuff.

I'm about to start taking this. My blood sugar has been crazy, I got a blood test at the docs a few days ago. My results were not good and I've been having trouble keeping my blood sugar down, even when eating really well. I feel like I've felt symptoms of diabetes for a really long time, but only in the last year do I feel it significantly effected me. I'm not diagnosed with anything yet, but I'm treating it as if I've been diagnosed because I feel pretty bad right now. I figured the day would come where I had to deal with this because my mother is diabetic, and her parents were too.

Anyone have any good meal and snack suggestions?

Keep in mind T1 and T2 are vastly different and its really sort of messed up to give them the same name. T1 is genetic, you get it through no fault of your own. T2 is more or less shitty eating over many, many years.

I'm a T2 diabetic because I ate like an idiot for many years, junk food and sugar every day. However I am functionally cured of T2 diabetes via a low carb diet, been on it for about 9 months and my blood sugars test just like a normal person whether fasting, after a meal, 2 hours after a meal, or before bed time. Both with a home blood glucose testing kit (I use the TRUEresult one, bought it on amazon for $15 and 50 strips cost like $15) and with blood drawn at a lab every 6 months. I say functionally cured because I have to eat low carb for the rest of my life to keep diabetes at bay, if I reverted to eating carbs and sugar I'd be back to needing medication and more closely monitoring my blood sugar levels.

Its worked wonders for me but of course every person is different YMMV etc. I was testing at 180-190 post meal before I started keto, now I test at 85-100 24 hours a day no matter fasting, post meal, workout, etc (as long as low carb/sugar). Also lost 45 lbs so far which helps a lot. For me http://reddit.com/r/keto was a great place to start, but there are a variety of ways to go low carb like paleo, south beach, atkins, etc. Just anything that limits your daily carb and sugar intake to very low levels. This is all for T2 adult diabetes, I don't really know much about T1 other than its very, very different than T2.

Still need to talk to your doctor, monitor your own blood sugar levels, keep an eye on your cholesterol levels and kidney functions, etc.

This was a great video I watched to understand more of the science of T2 diabetes and insulin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY

Alienups

Got diagnosed with type 2 in november, had a checkup on Thursday and my longterm sugar level is the same as a normal healthy humans. Diabetes type 2ez.

Question for all; How much did you weigh when diagnosed? Did your weight naturally dropped or gained? Did you end up losing weight to get better, if so what is the weight now?

Thank you!

For reference, my dad is diabetic, 65, and he is around 220lbs. He gained weight from the time he was diagnosed, which is some 15+ years ago. He was on pills but now have shifted to insulin.

Question for all; How much did you weigh when diagnosed? Did your weight naturally dropped or gained? Did you end up losing weight to get better, if so what is the weight now?

Thank you!

For reference, my dad is diabetic, 65, and he is around 220lbs. He gained weight from the time he was diagnosed, which is some 15+ years ago. He was on pills but now have shifted to insulin.

I lost about 40 pounds right before I was diagnosed. Lada type 1.5 ( late onset type 1) at age 32. I am eating low carb with no sugar and have dropped another 15 pounds since diagnosis.

For reference my weight when I was normal was around 250 so I was overweight but not huge.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Now when I drive by a McDonald's I want to stand outside and knock milkshakes out of people's hands.

Hah, I know that feeling. I was diagnosed as type 1 when I was 13, and boy did it lead to a lot of anger and depression during my teen years.

My biggest problem now is finding a doctor that I like. I loved my doctor in Florida, but ever since moving to Cali it's been one bad doctor after the next. I feel like I'm constantly fighting with them about how I live my life despite having good A1C levels. They try and guilt trip me every appointment, or try and lay out ridiculous dietary goals, or try and constantly push me to use a pump or other newer technology (sorry, no - maybe it's a mental block, but I want no part of strapping some meter to my body)... And I'm just getting super fucking frustrated. I don't have any obligation to do exactly what they say, I'm the guy living with the disease... Sorry, I do know more about how it affects day to day life than you do. You can't learn that out of a book in medical school. I need a doctor that checks me out, lays out options I have with no judgement, tells me what I could be doing better to be healthier (not trying to coerce me into it) and then gives me the prescriptions I need and says have a nice day, see you next time.

If anyone knows an endocrinologist like that in the Bay area, please let me know heh.

Brannon

I have you beat. I got Type 1 diabetes when I was 2 years old. I'm 33 now. So ironic that I'm diabetic and I cannot stand needles. Taking injections has been a struggle my whole life.

Damn. I know a guy who has an insulin pump installed, maybe you could go that route. Also...

Not really sure what to say. I saw the doctor yesterday and he was really impressed with the improvements in my blood sugar already. its been 5 days. All of my organs are functioning great and my C-Peptid level is normal. However the GAD anti-bodies are high and therefore eventually It will destroy my inslet cells and I will become Type 1.

The doctor pretty much said its up to you, take insulin now and get it over with or keep up the diet and try and keep it under control as long as possible.

Not the same, but I have an autoimmune condition that attacks my liver, and my doctor put me on azathioprine to keep my immune system in check. Maybe your doctor could see if that would do anything for your pancreas. But like I said, pancreas is obviously different from the liver, and also azathioprine isn't something to be taken lightly, it's a pan-suppressive used to inhibit rejection in organ transplant patients, after all.

Hah, I know that feeling. I was diagnosed as type 1 when I was 13, and boy did it lead to a lot of anger and depression during my teen years.

My biggest problem now is finding a doctor that I like. I loved my doctor in Florida, but ever since moving to Cali it's been one bad doctor after the next. I feel like I'm constantly fighting with them about how I live my life despite having good A1C levels. They try and guilt trip me every appointment, or try and lay out ridiculous dietary goals, or try and constantly push me to use a pump or other newer technology (sorry, no - maybe it's a mental block, but I want no part of strapping some meter to my body)... And I'm just getting super fucking frustrated. I don't have any obligation to do exactly what they say, I'm the guy living with the disease... Sorry, I do know more about how it affects day to day life than you do. You can't learn that out of a book in medical school. I need a doctor that checks me out, lays out options I have with no judgement, tells me what I could be doing better to be healthier (not trying to coerce me into it) and then gives me the prescriptions I need and says have a nice day, see you next time.

If anyone knows an endocrinologist like that in the Bay area, please let me know heh.

I know that feeling. I moved to a small town out of college and couldn't stand my doctor and the suggestions they would make. If you feel comfortable with your health, your A1C levels, etc. who cares? Go to the doctor to get A1C check ups and blood drawn and own the process on your end and ignore what they say. But you are in San Francisco which is one of the biggest cities in the world... There's a doctor for you, just need to find them.

I suggest finding a doctor who has diabetes if possible. That's what I grew up with as a child and she was the absolute best.

Nivash

Why does diabetes make you want to urinate so quick?

With high enough blood sugar enough glucose fails to be filtered by the renal barrier that urine glucose levels start to rise as well. This alters the fluid balance and pulls water from the blood stream into the urine. Because of this the bladder fills more quickly and forces you to urinate more frequently. This also leads to dehydration which makes you thirstier.

One of the oldest tests for diabetes, before blood sugar meters and labwork became commonplace, was actually for the doctor to take a sip of urine to see if it tasted sweet. Boy am I glad we're past that.

vikki

So, since starting Metformin, just a few days ago, and changing my diet up, no more soda, I feel super shitty. My blood sugar still isn't good, it's sitting around 160 unless I get a good walk in. I feel super weak, have anxiety, and cold sweats. I've also been waking with headaches. Anyone else experience this stuff? I really want to get a hold of this, and I think I need to go back to the doc, but I want to hear what you people have to say.

BossRush

I'm really worried I'm starting to show the symptoms. At night before bed I've been having to go pee a lot more often, and I'm also thirstier, but it never seems to happen any other time of the day, well, except for the thirsty part, but even then I'm not dying of thirst.

My diet has never been good and I'm overweight so I know I need to change, and I'm worried it might be too late

I'm really worried I'm starting to show the symptoms. At night before bed I've been having to go pee a lot more often, and I'm also thirstier, but it never seems to happen any other time of the day, well, except for the thirsty part, but even then I'm not dying of thirst.

My diet has never been good and I'm overweight so I know I need to change, and I'm worried it might be too late

Even if you already have diabetes, you'll still want to make small, consistent steps to improve your diet and overall health. It's certainly not too late for you. You can live a very long, happy, and relatively-healthy life with diabetes if you take action. The alternative is that you can be afraid of it, avoid getting a diagnosis, and live a relatively sicker and shorter life. If you think you might have diabetes, go see a doctor and have them assess your situation.

You've got the power man. Don't give it away.

jmdajr

Got my results back and my fasting Glucose was 105 :(

Never been that high. Max was always 100. Not too long ago in the 80s.

Then again I have completely given up on exercise the past two years so I am hoping that's all it is and I can get it back down if I start again.

Luckily not overweight and all cholesterol levels fine.

Still upset because overall I eat very good, but damn...I have to exercise. Otherwise this desk job is going to end me,

My Grandma has been (type 2) diabetic since her 40s. She's in her 70s now, and doesn't even need to take medication anymore because it's managed well enough. Still alive and doing (reasonably) well for a 72 year old woman.

It's not quite a death sentence. With the right treatment and a change in diet, it could barely impact your life at all. She didn't really start doing any of this until a couple years ago, before that she was always in serious foot pain and had horrible stomach problems and finally got fed up and quit being stubborn and started to manage it properly. Sitting down and eating 1/4 of a sugar free pie every night was not managing it, despite what she wanted to believe.

Her having diabetes is actually one of the reasons I started seriously changing my diet earlier this year. I was too lazy to wash last night, so I tried on some pants that hadn't fit me since my early days of college (~7 years ago) and they're the most comfortable pants I own now (my other pants are now far too big!). That felt really nice to actually see real progress... and now I can push off doing wash one more day!
I don't have symptoms or anything, so hopefully I will have tackled it early enough that I never actually get it, since I'm at risk because half of my Grandparents are diabetic.

Amandeep

Have any of you tried Aloe Vera juice? It's really good in aiding to keep your blood sugar levels in control alongside the correct diet and exercise of course (cannot stress enough how amazing even the slightest amounts of exercise is in keeping blood sugar levels manageable! If only i listened to my own advice haha).

Osahi

I think a diabeticGAF is a great idea.

I've had type one diabetes since I was 16. It hit me pretty hard, having to adjust my entire life around this new, scary condition. But it soon became a normal thing for me, blended into my everyday routine. I'm now on the basal bolus regime, which is three shots of fast-acting (one with each meal) and one shot of long-lasting before bed. It's not as well controlled as it should be (my alcohol addiction is to blame for that, I imagine) and I could do with losing a few stone, but that's for my self-esteem, not just my diabetes.

Sounds scaringly close to my situation, bar the alcohol. Diagnosed at 16, hit me hard, now part of life. Not controlled as good as it has too (more due to stress, lots of work and such, but also due to some negligence from time to time. But it is not a disaster, HBa1c levels are okayish).

Shirow

Banned
My whole family on my Dad's side ( all aunt's, Dad and his brothers) all got it. Lost my dad because he had a bad infections and needed a kidney but his body couldn't accept a transplant.
I myself have hypothyrodism but I'm in great shape right now, but that is because I've been doing healthy stuff every chance I get, Gym/Diet/Lifestyle. It's a struggle these days to even keep a healthy lifestyle AND to top it off having to deal with a condition. It feels like you gotta keep everything on point like Denzel in the equalizer lol.

Skyzard

Banned
I know people here probably know it but it's serious business, get it under control and if you are type 2 work hard. I'm not going to repeat what a lecturer on diabetes told me, actually fuck it I am he said he'd rather lose both legs than get diabetes. It brings a lot of issues if it's not well managed.

Walk everywhere if you're type 2 ([and] fat, not the immune system one). Human body is pretty awesome in that you don't need to be running like it's a race to lose weight effectively. Get off your desk and walk everywhere. Walking is so good and helpful.

Best wishes.

Nutcasey

I'm a type 1 and found out when I was 25. That's about as late as you can get apparently. I've not let it slow me down in any way though.

Best of luck to everyone else in here who has this, it's a pain but it shouldn't in any way ruin your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom