• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The One Qoo

Neo Member
I was diagnosed type 1 around 4 years ago when i was 24.
I keep it well managed and generally try to not let it get me down in day to day life.
thread subbed guys, keep your heads up.

vikki

Anyone have difficulty sleeping or anxiety when taking Metformin? I still can't figure out what's up. I can't tell if it's a reaction to the medication or if I have another problem coupled with a reaction to Metformin. I've been to the doctor a couple times since be prescribed Met and definitive answer as to why I'm feeling so crazy atm. I really hope it gets sorted out soon, because I really want a healthy routine to get this diabetes in check.

Amandeep

Anyone have difficulty sleeping or anxiety when taking Metformin? I still can't figure out what's up. I can't tell if it's a reaction to the medication or if I have another problem coupled with a reaction to Metformin. I've been to the doctor a couple times since be prescribed Met and definitive answer as to why I'm feeling so crazy atm. I really hope it gets sorted out soon, because I really want a healthy routine to get this diabetes in check.

I have heard that difficulty with sleeping is a common side effect of Metformin. My father takes it and cant sleep without even more medication on top of that. Although he does need to consume crazy amounts of other medication for other illnesses so not sure how helpful this is really

Kowalski

Banned
I've been diabetic since 2010. First I was diagnosed as Type 2. I was able to control my glucose with some oral meds and pen shots (Victoza).

Eventually I was up/downgraded to Type 1 since I cant produce any insulin. So now I'm on Hululog and Lantus.

For the longest time, my A1C was above 10...around 13 the most.

Now, since I started with a new doctor because I moved, I've brought down my A1C to 6.9

Wasnt easy since I have to control my sweet tooth. I love my sweets and desserts, but for my health, I have to resist. Drinking was never an issue for me since I only drink on special occasions. EVen then, it's not much.

I do exercise, but need to add another day or two. Right now, I go to the gym twice a week.

It's a life changing experience because it does get very frustrating when you think you're doing the right thing and it turns out that whatever you're doing is not enough.

Now that I have my A1C controlled...for now...anything I do to control is just a normal part of my life.

vikki

It's a life changing experience because it does get very frustrating when you think you're doing the right thing and it turns out that whatever you're doing is not enough.

Now that I have my A1C controlled...for now...anything I do to control is just a normal part of my life.

Good to see you're doing better with your control. My A1C was at 12. I was drinking a ton of soda and I am hoping with my next blood work it is below ten. I really want it to be closer to 7, but realistically I don't think it will be.

I'm wondering how everyone dealt with the news and how they managed with the healthy/balanced meals, exercise, emotions? I feel like I'm a bit of a wreck at the moment, very emotional, but I'm going to fight.

Giggzy

I have high blood pressure and have just been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. What should my diet consist of so I can hopefully NOT get diabetes and lower my BP

Lamel

Banned
I have high blood pressure and have just been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. What should my diet consist of so I can hopefully NOT get diabetes and lower my BP

Less sugar, and an overall healthier diet (vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats). Don't eat exorbitant amounts either. Start hitting the gym as well; do both lifting and cardio.

Kowalski

Banned

The center that I go to is Diabetes of America. When I first go in, I have an educator that asks me what I eat and such. From there, she pretty much teaches me about portion sizes and what carbs are bad for me.

That's the biggest change in diet, the carbs, which turn to sugar, which spikes your glucose levels.

So whenever I eat out for lunch, if I go to a burger place, I'll have my typical burger, but instead of those large fries I love so much...I get the side salad or apple slices. Yes, fries are delicious, but value my health more than those fries.

Sometimes even when I get just the burger, I only get the burger, but without the bread. The person taking the order wont look at your weird because they see these kind of orders all the time.

I still east pasta dishes, but not a big bowl of it like I used to. I'll have a sweet every now and then, but no longer will I eat a sleeve of Oreo cookies.

It's all about portions and minimizing carb intake that will help to bring down those glucose levels.

Today, I had a chicken salad at McDs and for dessert I had an Oreo McFlurry. It may spike my sugar levels a bit but not as much as if I would have had a burger, fries, and then the Oreo shake.

BossRush

I'm really worried I either have the starting symptoms of diabetes or in just so worried I'm imagining them. I don't usually go to the bathroom that often except for at night, where when it gets late enough it's once every hour and thirty minutes or so until I go to bed, then I sleep all night.

I'm not particularly thirsty a lot, but when I drink water I guzzle it down, but then that's always been a habit of mine.

I exercised today and my leg started to hurt around 7 hours later but it could just a be because I didn't stretch it properly. Idk I'm kinda scared. I need to change my diet

vikki

I'm really worried I either have the starting symptoms of diabetes or in just so worried I'm imagining them. I don't usually go to the bathroom that often except for at night, where when it gets late enough it's once every hour and thirty minutes or so until I go to bed, then I sleep all night.

I'm not particularly thirsty a lot, but when I drink water I guzzle it down, but then that's always been a habit of mine.

I exercised today and my leg started to hurt around 7 hours later but it could just a be because I didn't stretch it properly. Idk I'm kinda scared. I need to change my diet

If you can, go to the doctor and have them do a blood test. Better find and deal with the problem than to be afraid of the outcome and possibly make things worse for yourself.

BossRush

I just noticed right now that my work clothes are fitting me better than before. Am I just hallucinating? They didn't fit as well last time I worked I don't know. I really think I'm freaking out here. I don't want this disease I don't want to stick myself with needles I don't want to die I don't want to die

became a diabetic last year, and i do not have it under control at all. i mainly blame it on being an alcoholic, and when i drink i don't take my insulin and eat like a dumb fuck. i also have bipolar and sometimes just sleep all day without taking any insulin. my a1c was 16, now it's at 12... im hoping it'll be down to at least 9 next time i take the test.

fucking sucks.

bcl0328

I've been diabetic since 2010. First I was diagnosed as Type 2. I was able to control my glucose with some oral meds and pen shots (Victoza).

Eventually I was up/downgraded to Type 1 since I cant produce any insulin. So now I'm on Hululog and Lantus.

For the longest time, my A1C was above 10...around 13 the most.

Now, since I started with a new doctor because I moved, I've brought down my A1C to 6.9

Wasnt easy since I have to control my sweet tooth. I love my sweets and desserts, but for my health, I have to resist. Drinking was never an issue for me since I only drink on special occasions. EVen then, it's not much.

I do exercise, but need to add another day or two. Right now, I go to the gym twice a week.

i still eat sweets all the time. it's all about eating protein/fat first and the sweets later. i time my shots too. bolus then wait 15-20 min, eat food. usually contains meat, veggies, and a starch. then after about 30 mins if i want something sweet i will bolus and eat that. no spikes at all. my last a1c was 5.3.

robertoci

became a diabetic last year, and i do not have it under control at all. i mainly blame it on being an alcoholic, and when i drink i don't take my insulin and eat like a dumb fuck. i also have bipolar and sometimes just sleep all day without taking any insulin. my a1c was 16, now it's at 12... im hoping it'll be down to at least 9 next time i take the test.

fucking sucks.

Yeah alcohol is a toughie to deal with, It can make your sugar levels fluctuate massively, I found it's always good to test about 10 mins after a drinking session to see what the levels are at then otherwise you could end up giving yourself too much or too little.

slade

I was diagnosed type 2 last year with an 18.7 H1C. I had all the typical symptoms: weight loss, frequent trips to the bathroom, pain in legs and thirst. After the diagnosis and a few changes to my diet, I brought that 18.7 down to a 7 for my next 3 month test. All my three month tests have been below 7 since then. I overindulged in sweets and drinks way too much when I was undiagnosed. Now, it's more a matter of eliminating white flour from my diet and eliminating juices/soda. I still indulge now and then at family gatherings and parties but if you do it sparingly and keep a tight watch on your BS levels, Type 2 Diabetes is totally manageable.

BossRush

Fuck it, I'm setting up an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, but even if it turns out I don't have diabetes, I'm changing my diet tomorrow too. Cutting out all the shit I used to eat.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

fucking sucks.

I know it's hard, but have you considered getting treatment for your alcoholism? It can also help prevent other diseases which could aggravate your Diabetes.

Good luck, man!

Fuck it, I'm setting up an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, but even if it turns out I don't have diabetes, I'm changing my diet tomorrow too. Cutting out all the shit I used to eat.

Good luck to you too, hoping for the best for you.

Dambrosi

Banned
Anyone take Metformin? Gonna sound crazy but I notice crazy muscle fullness if I take it before working out. It decreases blood sugar via sensitizing insulin receptors, creating more glycogen storage in muscle. Pretty good stuff.
Me. I got diagnosed with Type 2 last October after a nasty week-long bout of hypertension (of course, I didn't know it was that serious until I started seeing a bright kaleidoscopic spot in the corner of my vision), for which a single pill and a night of proper bedrest was the cure (and it's never recurred, thank goodness), and I was prescribed a lifetime course of Metformin for it.

Now, with my high blood pressure and newly-diagnosed sugar disease, lots of exercise and a new diet would be the obvious actions to take, but unfortunately I'm not only morbidly obese, but I also suffer from chronic back pain that means that I can't walk more than 200 yards without needing to stop, or stand for longer than 7-10 minutes without pain. Obviously, this gets in the way of me exercising regularly or as much as I'd like, so I joined a local McGym to encourage myself. As for my diet, I have to admit that, due in part to my financial situation having improved greatly due to my disabilities, I've fallen off the bandwagon a bit. No more large bottles of fizzy drinks or mounds of chocolate and sweets for me, though; I've fully converted to fruits, nuts, oats, cereals and freshly-squeezed citrus juices/water for my snacking fixes. No more granulated sugar, either - I now use stuff like Canderel where I would normally use sugar (tea & coffee, breakfast cereals, etc). As a result, since last year, I'm much less thirsty (what I would have drunk down in 3 hours last year now takes me 3 or 4 days to get through), I have more energy (though my back still kills me when I try to use it), and I'm even starting to lose weight (duh). Though I do feel bloated some of the time, which I attribute to my other meds, and I still get drymouth with that horrible gunk in the morning, which I didn't know was a diabetes thing until recently.

I got my urine and bloods taken last Wednesday, so I'll have a progress report then. Here's hoping it's good news.

Oh, I've never smoked or drunk alcohol, either. Maybe that'll be helpful?

Althane

Let us know how it goes, man.

(Have I posted in this topic before? I lurk too much...)

vikki

Anyone deal with frequent headaches? My BG has been in check the last 5 days or so, I've been getting some bad headaches. I've woken up with them or gotten them during the day. I drink a lot of water, but I can't help think that in some way the medication is effecting me being hydrated.

jmdajr

Way too overworked over this. But I feel my fasting blood sugar of 105 is way too high considering my weight and the fact that I have not gained or lost any really. It is always the same. Very consistent. 5'8" 160ish

I do pee a lot but all I drink is water. Always have for a long time.

Cholesterol is fine. Trigs are fine and those are usually high if you have diebetes. But exercise level has dropped to nothing.

I had been working out for over a decade consistently and now I am not. So I wonder if all that time I had been keeping things in check. Heck my levels used to be in the 80s.

Just don't know man.

Althane

Way too overworked over this. But I feel my fasting blood sugar of 105 is way too high considering my weight and the fact that I have not gained or lost any really. It is always the same. Very consistent. 5'8" 160ish

I do pee a lot but all I drink is water. Always have for a long time.

Cholesterol is fine. Trigs are fine and those are usually high if you have diebetes. But exercise level has dropped to nothing.

I had been working out for over a decade consistently and now I am not. So I wonder if all that time I had been keeping things in check. Heck my levels used to be in the 80s.

Just don't know man.

A fasting blood sugar of 105 is still perfectly fine. You are probably worrying too much about it.

(btw, it's diabetes. Diebetes sounds... creepy)

And yeah, suddenly cutting out exercise will do a number on your body. Try keeping some minor exercise in, and I'll bet you'll feel fine.

jmdajr

A fasting blood sugar of 105 is still perfectly fine. You are probably worrying too much about i
(btw, it's diabetes. Diebetes sounds... creepy)

And yeah, suddenly cutting out exercise will do a number on your body. Try keeping some minor exercise in, and I'll bet you'll feel fine.
Thanks man. I hope so. Gonna have to get back to it.

Ya'll keep fighting at it.

Korey

For the blood test, do they always test for diabetes? Isn't it just the glucose test or whatever?

Or do I have to specifically ask to be tested for diabetes?

Wag

They test your average blood sugar level over a period of time. That's how they diagnose you with diabetes.

The Lamp

They test your average blood sugar level over a period of time. That's how they diagnose you with diabetes.

I get a blood test done about twice a year for physical (I've been sick a lot the past few years so they've been taking blood and doing more than just CBC), but they said everything was fine...so I can assume I'm okay for now?

So is does diabetes only get people who eat a lot of sweets and stuff? So like, someone who never eats much sugar would be fine?

So is does diabetes only get people who eat a lot of sweets and stuff? So like, someone who never eats much sugar would be fine?

No.

Type 1 is a genetic auto immune disease. I am 32 years old and never ate much and was diagnosed as type 1.5 ( late adult onset ) a few months ago.

Type 2 is believed to be from lifestyle choices.

Raxus

Type 2 affect those with poor diet habits or weight management. Insulin you do produce is ineffective and you need more to control blood sugar.

Type 1 usually involves the destruction of the cells that produce insulin (by lets say an autoimmune problem). You don't even produce insulin and totally depend on diet management/insulin injections.

Type 1 for about 3 years reporting in.

That might be how they test for Type 2, but definitely not Type 1. They should be able to tell almost immediately with Type 1. (It's important to clarify, as a Type 1 diagnosis needs to get treated immediately.)

EDIT: Oh, but if you were referring to your A1C as the average glucose level over time, then that makes more sense.

I get a blood test done about twice a year for physical (I've been sick a lot the past few years so they've been taking blood and doing more than just CBC), but they said everything was fine...so I can assume I'm okay for now?

If they didn't see anything out of the ordinary with your bloodwork (did the bloodwork include your A1C?) you're probably fine. But, you should absolutely discuss it with your doctor if you're worried. Forum goers aren't going to be able to help much beyond encouragement and general advice (which may or may not be trustworthy). :)

Type 2 affect those with poor diet habits or weight management. Insulin you do produce is ineffective and you need more to control blood sugar.

Type 1 usually involves the destruction of the cells that produce insulin (by lets say an autoimmune problem). You don't even produce insulin and totally depend on diet management/insulin injections.

No.

Type 1 is a genetic auto immune disease. I am 32 years old and never ate much and was diagnosed as type 1.5 ( late adult onset ) a few months ago.

Type 2 is believed to be from lifestyle choices.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info guys. Man, stuff like that just blows my mind. like, why would the body even do that to itself (I find myself asking that for most auto immune disorders).

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I got a physical a few months ago with a blood and urine test and everything was fine. Do they not check for diabetes unless I fucking tell them to?!?!
The a1c test, you probably do have to ask. It isn't included the normal blood panel.
I know people here probably know it but it's serious business, get it under control and if you are type 2 work hard. I'm not going to repeat what a lecturer on diabetes told me, actually fuck it I am he said he'd rather lose both legs than get diabetes. It brings a lot of issues if it's not well managed.

Walk everywhere if you're type 2 ([and] fat, not the immune system one). Human body is pretty awesome in that you don't need to be running like it's a race to lose weight effectively. Get off your desk and walk everywhere. Walking is so good and helpful.

Best wishes.

Yes! If you can't do simple weight training, but walking is amazing. Just start little by little.

daveo42

Banned
A personal update on my current Type 2. I've gotten back to the point where my fasting blood sugar is between 75-90. Still need to get my a1c checked, but being in the normal range feels pretty great to me. Diet over the past three months have included mostly lean proteins and veggies and that's worked out rather well for me.

vikki

A personal update on my current Type 2. I've gotten back to the point where my fasting blood sugar is between 75-90. Still need to get my a1c checked, but being in the normal range feels pretty great to me. Diet over the past three months have included mostly lean proteins and veggies and that's worked out rather well for me.

Congrats Dave, keep up the good work.

The Lamp

Called my doctor about the blood test done in November. They said it didn't cover A1C but that's because they only order that test if the glucose level they check in the metabolic profile of the blood work is out of range. Mine was 101 when they took my blood in the morning and I had not fasted (it was after breakfast) so apparently that's good because 105 fasting glucose is the warning sign for diabetes. How easy is it to slightly adjust these levels? Should I be worried that I'm close to 105?

vikki

Called my doctor about the blood test done in November. They said it didn't cover A1C but that's because they only order that test if the glucose level they check in the metabolic profile of the blood work is out of range. Mine was 101 when they took my blood in the morning and I had not fasted (it was after breakfast) so apparently that's good because 105 fasting glucose is the warning sign for diabetes. How easy is it to slightly adjust these levels? Should I be worried that I'm close to 105?

You should take care of yourself no matter what, but I think I'd rejoice at a 105 fasting sugar right now.

jmdajr

101-125 is considered pre-diabetic, although some guidelines says it starts at 110.

101 without fasting sounds good to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got my results back and my fasting Glucose was 105 :(

Never been that high. Max was always 100. Not too long ago in the 80s.

Then again I have completely given up on exercise the past two years so I am hoping that's all it is and I can get it back down if I start again.

Luckily not overweight and all cholesterol levels fine.

Still upset because overall I eat very good, but damn...I have to exercise. Otherwise this desk job is going to end me,

You don't eat very well if you are at risk. Or, your body does not agree with what you think is good.

Exercise will help, but don't expect a miracle. You need to change your diet.

Based on the numbers of people who have diabetes and pre-diabetes out there, this thread should be packed!

Most people really don't know until it's too late. They think they are eating a healthy diet based off the recommendations and before they know it they are sick (and probably fat, too).

Question for all; How much did you weigh when diagnosed? Did your weight naturally dropped or gained? Did you end up losing weight to get better, if so what is the weight now?

Thank you!

For reference, my dad is diabetic, 65, and he is around 220lbs. He gained weight from the time he was diagnosed, which is some 15+ years ago. He was on pills but now have shifted to insulin.

Anyone on insulin shots should expect a good amount of weight gain. The common treatment for type 2 diabetes is a vicious cycle that leads to nowhere but more sickness.

Not just sweets, no. Long-term constant consumption of food that gets turned into glucose will eventually lead to type 2 diabetes for a very large part of the population.

Question for all; How much did you weigh when diagnosed? Did your weight naturally dropped or gained? Did you end up losing weight to get better, if so what is the weight now?

Thank you!

For reference, my dad is diabetic, 65, and he is around 220lbs. He gained weight from the time he was diagnosed, which is some 15+ years ago. He was on pills but now have shifted to insulin.

I'm Type 1, and I lost a lot of weight in the months before my diagnosis. I'm typically around 165lbs, but went down to around 130lbs before going to the doctor. I knew I had been losing weight, but had no idea it was that much. Gained it all back pretty quickly after getting on insulin.

Who here is on a pump? I'm considering switching to a pump once I get on new insurance when I start my new job in a month or so. I've been on injections with Humalog/Levemir (and Novolog/Lantus for awhile), but would like to see how much a pump could help me with my control. My A1C is pretty low, but I think it's been thrown off the last couple of times from having too many lows.

Wag

Not many people have Type 1. It's very rare to get it as an adult, and if you do get it it usually comes on after a serious stressor or health problem of some kind. More adults tend to get Type 2 diabetes, and that's the one you should be more concerned with, especially if you have poor eating/health habits.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not many people have Type 1. It's very rare to get it as an adult, and if you do get it it usually comes on after a serious stressor or health problem of some kind. More adults tend to get Type 2 diabetes, and that's the one you should be more concerned with, especially if you have poor eating/health habits.

Well, if he already has type 1, that's the one he should be concerned about. I don't think it's a good idea to follow advice meant for type 2 diabetics, though.

The Lamp

I fucking pricked myself like 6 times and the meter I bought still says it doesn't have enough blood. Any tips for this? I gave up. My fingers are all bruised and bloody lol.

I fucking pricked myself like 6 times and the meter I bought still says it doesn't have enough blood. Any tips for this? I gave up. My fingers are all bruised and bloody lol.

What brand did you get? You also need to use a new strip every time you try (so if you didn't get enough and it gave you an error, you need to put a new strip in). How much blood are you actually drawing? If you're just getting a teeny drop of blood you'll need to squeeze your finger around the prick in order to get more. You should also be able to adjust the lancet so that it shoots further/harder which can also help if it's not enough.

jmdajr

You don't eat very well if you are at risk. Or, your body does not agree with what you think is good.

Exercise will help, but don't expect a miracle. You need to change your diet.

Most people really don't know until it's too late. They think they are eating a healthy diet based off the recommendations and before they know it they are sick (and probably fat, too).
n.

I'm 5'8" and 160 pounds. Weight doesn't fluctuate outside of being lighter in morning and heavier at night as are with most I assume. My cholesterol levels are still normal. Good cholesterol high, bad low. Blood pressure normal. Liver panel normal. Waist is 34 inches. BMI is 24. Body fat percentage is 18%. But I guess bad carbs are bad carbs and I wasn't even eating them that often anyway.

Nurse told me to watch what I eat. Ok... guess I'll switch to eating grass.

Like I said my levels were normal until I gave up exercising. I probably eat better now than when I was exercising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom