• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 1.13 patch up on PTR

Minsc

Gold Member
neoism said:
Yeah I used that mod, but I was new to D2 soo. I shit myself when I died the first time, I lost alll my stuff, I lucky found it. Do you lose if forever if you die a second time? I basically leveled in the first 7 or 8 areas, after that! :lol :lol

No, nothing like that :lol

If you die and can't get back to your body (usually because whatever killed you kills you even faster without any equipment) you can just leave the game and when you start a new game all your stuff will be right in the camp where you start, iirc.

There's experience and gold penalties, I believe you lose all your money on harder difficulties and a portion of your experience as well, or I might be confusing it with Titan Quest now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, respects def. are limited 1 per difficulty level. Kinda shitty. I think that world item gives you inf. respects (on a right click from that item only) which is bullshit for anyone that wants to play outside closed b.net. :/

>>Bigger Stash Got Axed<<

That's what they said about the patch. But who knows if it'll be in the final. I'll hold the faith as that would be REALLY goddamn nice to have along with the respect (which is kinda shitty as it is. It should charge you or at least give you free respects so you can change your character as the situation changes)

Somnid

TheSeks said:
Wow, respects def. are limited 1 per difficulty level. Kinda shitty. I think that world item gives you inf. respects (on a right click from that item only) which is bullshit for anyone that wants to play outside closed b.net. :/

If you don't play on closed B.Net then practically every mod lets you respec. Just install one.

TheSeks

Somnid said:
If you don't play on closed B.Net then practically every mod lets you respec. Just install one.

Mac version = no mods.

Or at least Mod makers don't do Mac support, so I'm shit out of luck and have to bitch at blizzard to let us respect whenever we want.

Teknoman

Diablo II GAF reunite!

A new Mystery has been revealed!

- Players of Hell Difficulty Realm games are hereby warned once again,
that a series of new and challenging tests await you! The answer lies
within Diablo's Bosses, which span across the world from the Den of Evil
to the Throne of Destruction...

I want to know what this is about.

Support for blit scaling in windowed mode. The game can now be maximized to the largest 4:3 resolution supported (hooray widescreen users).

Can someone elaborate on this?

Novella

Banned
Teknoman said:
Support for blit scaling in windowed mode. The game can now be maximized to the largest 4:3 resolution supported (hooray widescreen users).

Can someone elaborate on this?
From what I've read in this thread, you can play in windowed mode and then make that window BIGGER.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
So wait is that actually it? After all this time? The only thing I even care about is respecs and it's just once per difficulty... It'll be nice to be take what you want with an early game build and pick something more suitable at a higher level, but most people will still just powerlevel to Hell Baal and horde them all anyway. I guess I'll probably do one last character runthrough when it goes live but they could have done a whole lot better.

Teknoman

Novella said:
From what I've read in this thread, you can play in windowed mode and then make that window BIGGER.

Thats it? Well...that doesnt seem too different either way. At least for those who usually play full screen anyway. Thought they would've added a new resolution or something after all this time. But from what i've heard, that would've been harder than with just a simple patch.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
As I understand it, increasing the resolution means that you can see all the enemies long before you actually enter their visual range. And changing their range would mean rebalancing basically everything.

adding respecs and a few minor things isn't enough for me to want to get back into this game. at some point during my 74892317894th hell meph magic find run i'll say to myself, WAIT A SECOND WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?!

TheSeks

Teknoman said:
Diablo II GAF reunite!

A new Mystery has been revealed!

- Players of Hell Difficulty Realm games are hereby warned once again,
that a series of new and challenging tests await you! The answer lies
within Diablo's Bosses, which span across the world from the Den of Evil
to the Throne of Destruction...

I want to know what this is about.

Read the patch notes. It tells you you get four items (one unique from each act boss [minus Mephisto]) in Diablo 2.

Combine all them in Cube.

?????

Respects (for free, unlimited?) from transmuted item equipped + right click.

That is, if Battle.net's forums are right. And if that's the case that's fucking bullshit to limit players to 1 free respect in game after the hype they did for it (and a bigger stash) over eight months. The least they could do is make that an easier "Torch"/UberD charm and give players free respects whenever they want/charge for respects instead of giving us just fucking one.

cmonmanreally said:
adding respecs and a few minor things isn't enough for me to want to get back into this game. at some point during my 74892317894th hell meph magic find run i'll say to myself, WAIT A SECOND WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?!

But then you keep playing... :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God dammit, frosthammerdin is what I play!

DAMN YOU Blizzard! Why must you constantly nerf pallies?!

mandiller

Minsc said:
Can't balance the gameplay then. Greater resolution = unfair advantage.

With 3D games greater resolution doesn't actually change the viewable area.

By the same token, with online games then don't the people with faster internet connections disadvantage people with slower internet connections? We should limit everyone!

Holy fuck time to get back into D2. I will probably be playing it till D3 now.

And people have been complaining about blizzards support lately:lol

I downloaded something a while back called D2 Multi-Res, screenshotted earlier in this thread, I believe. It works great, but is not allowed on closed B.net.

I also downloaded something a while back called Torchlight. It works great, but is single player only.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I mite get back into this again. When the patch is officially released everything will be reset or something right? Ladders ect...

Think ill just let my lvl 40-50's get deleted instead of refreshing them

Minsc

Gold Member
mavs said:
What? It does in almost every 3D game.

Not really, maybe the GUI isn't scaled properly, so it may get bigger or smaller, but playing Warcraft 3 in 800x600 or 1600x1200 is nothing like what happens in that screenshot posted earlier.

Chaning aspect ratio in a 3D game may increase the viewing distance, but resolutions within the same aspect ratio shouldn't change the level of zoom if the game is coded correctly.

54-46!

Well hey! They asked the players to submit request for new features and the one feature that was requested above all wasn't added.. I'm sure the patch announcement wasn't a PR trick riding on the D3 hype wave at all, no no, this was just a way to please the fans!

Well.. at least they are patching it.

poweld

This game came out and cemented my desire to become a programmer as a boy.

I have since graduated high school, graduated college with my CS degree, and been working in the field for two years.

...and the game is still being updated.

My God. This is how it is done. Bravo, Blizzard.

Binabik15

I´ve been playing D2 for a bit last month, only lvl 34 and last teleporter before Baal, but this is insane. :D

Werebear and Whirlwind Barb improved? Hells yeah. Maybe I should drop my Pala, but leveling offline is sooo slow, but I don´t have time for online stuff.

Can anyone tell me how to create a local B.Net game, I´ve never played in LAN mode :/ My brother is connected to the router via cable and my laptop via wireless, do I need to connect them via cable or does it work over the router?

Can you even play LAN with a shared CD key? Because my brother used mine after his friend forget the key after giving him the game. If not, can you export your offline char to a new install with a different key by copying the save files?

glaurung

If I register the game CD-key on battle.net, can I download the game over the internet?

I think it's going to be faster than installing and patching from the discs.

poweld

glaurung said:
If I register the game CD-key on battle.net, can I download the game over the internet?

Yes, exactly.

ShinNL

Wooow, thanks for this thread. My characters were 7 days from expiring :lol
(yay, they made my necro even stronger)

Benedict

I have not started the game in months and now when I do it the battle.net servers don't recognize my copy.
And I can't see the ClassicBeta server either.

How do I fix this?

Benedict said:
I have not started the game in months and now when I do it the battle.net servers don't recognize my copy.
And I can't see the ClassicBeta server either.

How do I fix this?
You'll have to reinstall, I'm afraid. A file's probably corrupted.

Benedict

that's no fun... download from blizzardstore usually takes forever, and I have to find my cd-keys or ask them to send a password that is buried deep inside my head...

poweld

Benedict said:
that's no fun... download from blizzardstore usually takes forever, and I have to find my cd-keys or ask them to send a password that is buried deep inside my head...
Well, in order to login to download the games, you're going to need your account password. Once you're there, you can get the keys off the site.

If you don't know your account password... yeah, I guess request is necessary.

glaurung said:

Yep. I put my keys in a while ago, and just downloaded D2 last night from the site. Such a great feature.

Sanjay

epmode said:
It's going to be crazy when Activision-Blizzard bans these keys just like they did with Modern Warfare 2.

Why would they do that? it's pretty much safe for Euro users.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fallout-NL said:
Lack of something resembling widescreen is very disappointing.

Why not start asking for 3D Vision support, HDR lighting, tessellation while you're at it?

Edit: I guess people don't understand the difficulty behind fundamentally changing things like resolution and camera zoom in sprite-based games.

Larian Studios tried adding in high resolution & wide screen support to Divine Divinity, and it took a long time, I'm not saying Diablo 2 can't do it. Blizzard clearly has other interests though, and you should try Divine Divinity's widescreen support and see what it's like. It is something Blizzard would never let see the light of day, the game frequently crashes when using the widescreen resolutions.

There are hacks out, if it matter that much, even the Infinity Engine has been modified nicely for similar things, but you immediately run in to trouble. There were a lot of issues at first, and there still are. Text is too small to read if you use a higher resolution, sounds weren't playing at the right time, etc etc. Most of that is all fixed now, but Baldur's Gate isn't a ranked, multi player ladder game, and Diablo 2 never intended for the camera to scroll either, which the Infinity Engine allows, making the larger screen area remain interactive more feasible.

The game was never balanced with the ability to shoot fireballs and firewalls, etc at targets 3 or 4 screens away from your character. There's a very specific active area in which your abilities can be targeted, and I think expanding that greatly would kill a lot of the balance, which Blizzard would never allow for.

Top Bottom