• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

I can't even sleep anymore... stayed in bed for 30 minutes, thinking of this fucking game.

Now I'm awake, and I'm listening to the Tristram theme... fuck my life.
You guys should do what Cartman did when he couldn't wait for the Wii launch and freeze yourselves until the 15th.

Ken

Have two CEs pre-ordered on Amazon and I have no idea what this game will be like (it's my first Diablo) but I had a question while I was thinking of a class to play.

I looked for armor sets and saw this:
demonhunter.jpg

But don't Demon Hunters use crossbows and such? I'll probably choose my class based on how their armor looks so I was wondering if that's actually a Demon Hunter armor set or something else?

Velocity

I....don't understand? The wallpapers are amazingly well done art. Sure, you could cut a roast with the Wizards face, but nobody said every wizard in Sanctuary had to be a pretty man.

They are just not something I'd have as my desktop background. All of the characters are very well done and the artist is very talented, but I just find the facial features -- monk in particular -- to be unappealing. It's art, so opinions will always be different. I do like the barb and WD wallpapers, but not enough to make them backgrounds.

You guys should do what Cartman did when he couldn't wait for the Wii launch and freeze yourselves until the 15th.

If it turns out they way it did for him, we'd be playing Diablo IV.

TheExodu5

Banned
Have two CEs pre-ordered on Amazon and I have no idea what this game will be like (it's my first Diablo) but I had a question while I was thinking of a class to play.

I looked for armor sets and saw this:

But don't Demon Hunters use crossbows and such? I'll probably choose my class based on how their armor looks so I was wondering if that's actually a Demon Hunter armor set or something else?

Demon Hunters aren't forced to use bows...you'd just have to skip bow skills if you go spear/shield.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Another scary fact about inferno, mobs have WoW-style enrage timers. >.>
Shouldn't everything die instantaneously though?!

Valnen

Bosses... or just any old mobs? Not sure if I'm a fan of enrage timers honestly.
In the interview I read that mentioned them it was talking about champ packs, but it didn't really specify.

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3205698

But then there was also this in the patch notes for patch 16

Zombies will no longer feast on corpses unless they are full health
This is to address an issue which was preventing zombies' enrage timer from resetting correctly

So who knows?

Kalnos

Banned
Hm, yeah, that seems to imply normal enemies. I'm guessing the champion packs for sure.

The reason I'm not a fan is that it seems to punish low-dps but high survivability builds. Also it would be lame to lose a HC character to an enrage timer.

EDIT: On second thought... maybe my eyes are being clouded by the ridiculousness of WoW enrage timers (I.E. everyone is instantly one shot). They should drop that terminology. :p

Aesthet1c

Even though enrage timers are basically a gear check, I think this sounds really cool.

I like the idea of a well balanced build doing best in Diablo. My main fear is my Barbarian is going to have to go straight tank with nothing but health and stuns in order to make it through Inferno. I think it would be fun for something more balanced between damage and tank to be more viable.

Kalnos

Banned
Ok this post just got me abit more interested in Demon Hunters now.

People built melee sorceresses and necromancers all through Diablo 2. I would expect to see some cool melee Wizard build pretty quickly.

There should be tons of possibilities with all of the classes.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I'm guessing the enrage timers are such that no feasible build should take that long to kill them. They're probably designed more to prevent you from running past monsters. They've done a dozen different things to neuter the methods of skipping past monsters to farm loot faster like in D2.

Gez said:
Ok this post just got me abit more interested in Demon Hunters now.
A lot of Demon Hunter abilities actually work without a ranged weapon, only 3 of the active click attacks work but practically all their other abilities.

Something like:
Mouse: Impale | Grenades OR Chakram
Action Bar: Caltrops | Vault | Fan of Knives | Preparation

Could be fun

TheExodu5

Banned
People built melee sorceresses and necromancers all through Diablo 2. I would expect to see some cool melee Wizard build pretty quickly.

There should be tons of possibilities with all of the classes.

Blizzard had melee in mind for the Wizard, as evidences by the early beta. Most spells did set damage (not based on weapon damage), however Spectral Blade was based on weapon damage.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
A lot of Demon Hunter abilities actually work without a ranged weapon, only 3 of the active click attacks work but practically all their other abilities.

Something like:
Mouse: Impale | Grenades OR Chakram
Action Bar: Caltrops | Vault | Fan of Knives | Preparation

Could be fun

None of them are actually "melee" style attacks though, so it's really just a matter of whether or not you want to be holding a sword while you throw grenades or whatever. Same for the wizard, they just have quite a few very close range spells.

Loofy

Looking at videos of the armor tiers. Female monk just looks alot better than the male. Something about that beard just clashes with everything.
yuTW1.png

GorillaJu

The problem with a bowless DH is that you'll never actually be using the weapon you carry, no? It'd just be there for the damage bonus.

You might as well just carry a bow and have access to all your skills.

But I'll be first in line for a Javazon style DH build if such a thing would be possible!

Loofy, man-monk looks way better to me there. The female looks awkward. Not posed well.

Female DH and female Wiz look better than their male counterparts, IMO. Monk, Barb and WD, I think the man looks much better

The problem with a bowless DH is that you'll never actually be using the weapon you carry, no? It'd just be there for the damage bonus.

You might as well just carry a bow and have access to all your skills.

But I'll be first in line for a Javazon style DH build if such a thing would be possible!

Loofy, man-monk looks way better to me there. The female looks awkward. Not posed well.

Female DH and female Wiz look better than their male counterparts, IMO. Monk, Barb and WD, I think the man looks much better

Well, if your build includes two non-bow abilities (like Grenades + Chakram or Impale) than it doesn't really matter weather you have a bow equipped or not as long as the spear has high damage. The great thing about how they built the system though is it's extraordinarily easy to experiment (at least until you max out and start stacking your gear with evade gems for a melee build or something). Assuming it isn't extraordinarily gimp there's no harm in loading up your level 60 Demon Hunter, equipping a spear and a skill set that matches and going to town for an hour to test it out then just switching back.

Is there no Weapon Swap button anymore? Why would they take that out? :-/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well I'm gonna try and get some rest now...

TylerD

First time posting in this thread, but I am super stoked for D3, been waiting for a long long time. Can't wait, 10 days!!

Welcome! I am spending the wait trying to clear out my backlog because I am not playing anything else once D3 comes out. Up now, Arkham City PC.

Arment

It's been a while since I've stayed up over 24 hours to marathon a game. Going to be playing til we drop with a few friends starting 3 am pacific. Counting the sleeps!

They've decided on Monk and Barbarian for the first play through. I'm between Demon Hunter and Wizard. Wizard felt underwhelming in beta and the video didn't do much to make me feel better to be honest.

Twinduct

Come to think of it, kinda glad I'm only getting it at 8 am. Monday Night = snack grab.
Need to stock up on coffee, tea, beer, milk, sugar & chocolate mini waffles thingies.
(And water. Fuck energy drinks, shit makes me hyper

Come to think of it, kinda glad I'm only getting it at 8 am. Monday Night = snack grab.
Need to stock up on coffee, tea, beer, milk, sugar & chocolate mini waffles thingies.
(And water. Fuck energy drinks, shit makes me hyper

I could probably count the number of Red Bulls and similar energy drinks I've had in my entire life one one hand. They just don't appeal. Not to mention they taste like sugary crap - worse than soda. At least the ones I've had. I have had some SoBe drinks with stuff besides caffeine in them, but those are sort of a different category from Monster, Red Bull, etc.

And unless it arrives early, my CE will be there the day of in late morning or afternoon, so it's not like I have to worry about staying up, at least until that night.

I have to go to the dentist in the morning of the 15th and I'm getting a boxed copy. When I'm done at the dentist I'll just race to the city to pick up my copy, race back home and start playing.

Danj

Is there any way to tunnel Diablo 3 over something, like say the SSL port 443? I'll be at work on the 15th, and obviously the work firewall is super locked down, just wondering if there's any way I could get it to work on a work PC.

Naeblish

I doubt melee Wizard, WD or DH will be viable after nightmare, since the Barb and Monk got that 30% damage reduction. That is a huge difference, and you would have to spend a lot of gear/skills toward getting that same reduction.

V_Arnold

And now, I will go into total media blackout mode for the last week. I do not care if Inferno stats, endbosses, spoilers come out. I want to encounter it in the game.

Also, will anyone else plan on staying away from the full item database at least until he/she reaches Hell/Inferno? The mystery of not knowing what CAN drop is so amazing, imho...

Dresden

I'm staying away from item databases until Hell. When I need to start gearing up for the push into Inferno though, I'll look things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom