• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamblades

Rentahamster said:
So, one thing that has been at the back of my mind for a while:

Considering there are unlimited respecs, once I have all 5 characters at a high level, what incentive is there for me to make more? In Diablo II I had to keep making new characters to try out different builds, but in Diablo III, that's not necessary anymore.

The only thing I can think of is that at high levels, unequipping high level runes from your skills is so inconvenient and expensive that it would be better just to have two separate builds on two different characters.

For example, you may have a rocket Demon Hunter, but swapping out the runes to make a grenade Demon Hunter is so much of a hassle that it makes more sense to just level up a whole new Demon Hunter from scratch for a grenade build.

I don't think levelling alts was ever key to the replayability of D II. It was always about the loot farming.

If it was about levelling alts, then there wouldn't be all the insane rush strategies that get you to level 99 super fast.

All that really changes is that you won't have to go through the level grind if a new build that is more efficient at boss farming comes out, and you won't have to level new characters because yours got deleted.

With the difficulty system you can replay low level content at high levels and be challenged, so why should the game encourage alts as opposed to replaying the game on a higher difficulty for better loot?

Artanisix

Don't know if it works in D3, but in D2 there was a very, very popular twink community. I forget the levels though, I believe it was 9, 18, 27, 36, 45? But yeah. You could do that.

TUSR

Banned
Artanisix said:
Don't know if it works in D3, but in D2 there was a very, very popular twink community. I forget the levels though, I believe it was 9, 18, 27, 36, 45? But yeah. You could do that.
twinks for pvp were always popular, under clvl 20 was really popular from what i recall.

zoukka

MrKnives said:
tbh I wouldn't be all that concerned unless you actually plan to finish Nightmare and Hell.

Yeah I'm not looking as far ahead, but my current Necro is so goddamn weak alone :b My gf's Sorc rapes all enemies on screen with a few lighting bolts and I need to hack a mob of zombies for ages D:

Bone spear helped a little.

TUSR

Banned
zoukka said:
Yeah I'm not looking as far ahead, but my current Necro is so goddamn weak alone :b My gf's Sorc rapes all enemies on screen with a few lighting bolts and I need to hack a mob of zombies for ages D:

Does your sorc have an Infinity on your merc?

MrKnives

zoukka said:

You skipped skeletons completely? Skeletons are really good at killing shit / protecting you

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
OMGGGGGGGG BEEEEETA!!!

Is it here yet? :'[

sry.

1 day left ForceSC2strategy, 1 day left. Then I'm going crazy you random youtube man you.

Corky said:
OMGGGGGGGG BEEEEETA!!!

sry.

1 day left ForceSC2strategy, 1 day left. Then I'm going crazy you random youtube man you.
I feel ya mang. ;_;

Hell, I'm prolly gonna end up going home and firing up Civ 5 for the first time in months, just to keep my mind off it.

kilongs

Man I am really loving how much character is in each class. Specifically the witch doctor...the way he shakes with frailty and the gibberish he randomly yells when casting. So awesome!

Squire Felix said:
twinks for pvp were always popular, under clvl 20 was really popular from what i recall.

Yeah, level 9s with inventories full of damage/health scs lol. Also you could find rare (yellow quality) rings under level 20 with like health, hit rating and resists and sell it for a TON on d2jsp.

zoukka said:

Skeletons and curses make short work of anything. Once you get some +skills you can revive (only get level 1 revive) crushers that do % based damage and kill things fast.

Bloodsent

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Beta servers are currently down for maintenance with a patch that's supposed to bring the Gold AH online in roughly 20 minutes.

Sign of the Beta?

I hate speculation, it only leaves me disappointed.

TUSR

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Beta servers are currently down for maintenance with a patch that's supposed to bring the Gold AH online in roughly 20 minutes.

Sign of the Beta?

Sadly, I don't see them releasing public closed in the afternoon... If anything I expect a morning announcement.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Manac0r said:
My kingdom, a horse plus a donkey for beta access...

Sorry, but some one already offered me 72 virgins, and i deny it.

Corky

MrKnives said:
Everything is a sign of beta

V95c4.png

Corky said:
OMGGGGGGGG BEEEEETA!!!

sry.

Reckon. Every time Force uploads a video and says this week I shake my fist at the screen 'you better be right'

Gromph said:
Sorry, but some one already offered me 72 virgins, and i deny it.
That gift sounds like my definition of hell. Give me one fire-breathing whore any day.

Corky

V_Arnold said:
I would trade my chances with any beta to a release date of 2011.11.15. Just sayin'.

I'd let Oprah fart in my face live on her show if the game itself came tomorrow.

Corky

Squire Felix said:
This thread has deteriorated. No more pictures, videos or information.

Just farts in the face.

Just and farts should never be in the same sentence.

Raide

Squire Felix said:

Just farts in the face.

Just wait till they announce the beta. Farts will be the least of our worries.

Just checked out the talent calc.

I think I will literally lose my fucking mind if I don't get into this beta and start working on my poison witch doctor. lose. my. fucking. mind.

V_Arnold said:
I would trade my chances with any beta to a release date of 2011.11.15. Just sayin'.

November is great, but I need to remember that Skyward Sword and Skyrim DO have dates, and they are in November. Wallet/available time to play games am cry.

forrest

formerly nacire
Pixel Pete said:
November is great, but I need to remember that Skyward Sword and Skyrim DO have dates, and they are in November. Wallet/available time to play games am cry.

Yeah I'm really having to step back and figure out where I really want my gaming time and money to go for the rest of the year.

ya, as it is I'm being a cheap bastard and borrowing Dead Island and Uncharted 3 probably.
That said I did just prioritize a $30 purchase of Vanquish :)

I personally just wish they were spread a bit better. SS and Skyrim is within 2 weeks of each other =\
Skyrim ought to keep me busy until the possible dec. release of d3 though. hopefully long enough to console me when that doesn't happen.
edit: shit, and Battlefield 3. ffs.

edit: ooh, looks like the AH will be operational when the beta servers are back online!

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah servers are still down, waiting to check it out, but I have a WoW raid tonight. >_<

Yeah, I may just have to wait on Skyward Sword and get Skyrim to occupy my time till D3 as well. Uncharted 3 can wait as well as Batman. I'd really like to pick up Rage too, but money is tight. I hate trading anything in, but maybe it's time to cull the inventory again. :(

nacire said:
Yeah servers are still down, waiting to check it out, but I have a WoW raid tonight. >_<

Yeah, I may just have to wait on Skyward Sword and get Skyrim to occupy my time till D3 as well. Uncharted 3 can wait as well as Batman. I'd really like to pick up Rage too, but money is tight. I hate trading anything in, but maybe it's time to cull the inventory again. :(

Fuck, Batman!
FUCK, RAGE!

My Diablo hype keeps pushing these other excellent titles to the back of my mind.

Squire Felix said:

Just farts in the face.

All the videos are the same now, more or less. New information is scarce. Expect some more when the AH comes up in the next handful of hours, but yeah, I feel ya. Hype is still through the roof, but the usual Beta momentum is fading. If it starts in closed beta from tomorrow that should pick up however.

What is curious for me however is the implementation of the AH in the F&F Beta. I wouldn't think the numbers large enough to gain anything from testing it in anything other than a closed beta.

KScorp

Pixel Pete said:
What is curious for me however is the implementation of the AH in the F&F Beta. I wouldn't think the numbers large enough to gain anything from testing it in anything other than a closed beta.
The only use of large numbers is stress testing, there could still be plenty of UI bugs or other quirks that can be caught.

KScorp said:
The only use of large numbers is stress testing, there could still be plenty of UI bugs or other quirks that can be caught.

They've more or less said the purpose of the beta is primarily to stress test and scalability. Still, a bug's a bug I guess, regardless of how it's found.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#cbSRYg!bWa!ZbcYcY

This is a mock witch doctor build I put some thought into. The idea is to have the offensive spells do poison damage and be AOE, while Haunt is the same basic concept, swarm enemies, it will also give me some health upon killing an enemy and soul harvest is there to make me more powerful. As for the passive traits they are all about giving me more mana.

I really hope this launches soon. I've been trying to play some Torchlight to get my fix and it just isn't doing it for me, with the endless loop of the same exact dungeon floors. Hopefully by the end of this year we'll have both D3 and TL2.

"We’ve recently patched the Diablo III Friends & Family beta test to include access to the gold-based auction house.

Friends & Family beta test participants can check out the auction house by clicking on the ‘gavel’ icon at the bottom of the main Battle.net interface seen when first logging into the game.

To sell items, you’ll first need to place anything you want to sell in your shared stash. The shared stash can be found near the Slaughtered Calf Inn in New Tristram. Once you’ve placed items in your stash you’ll be able to choose from them the items you’d like to sell. By placing starting and (optional) buyout prices, you can place your item up for auction. If someone chooses to buy the item, you’ll receive the final sale price, minus any posting fees.

Keep in mind that this is the gold-based auction house only. The currency-based auction house may be available for testing at a later date, and if it is, we’ll have more information on how it will function at that time.

We’re looking for both stability and usability testing, and appreciate your help with buying and selling items to run the system through its paces. If you’d like to provide feedback, please do so by posting in this thread: http://us.battle.net...opic/3196019654 and if you find any bugs please post in the Beta Bug Report forum in this thread: http://us.battle.net...opic/3195919893

For an auction house overview and information regarding specific functionality, be sure to check out the services section of the Diablo III community site, here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/ Browse through the auction house section of the site using the multiple tabs at the top for more details, located here: http://us.battle.net...e/functionality"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom